Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

How-To: Install MBRP “Cool Duals” Cat-Back Exhaust

12K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Admin 
#1 ·
A performance exhaust system can add great looks, an improved sound and performance gains to your truck. Installing a cat-back exhaust system is something that almost everyone can can do in their garage or driveway with common tools to enhance their truck.

The installation of a premium bolt-on cat-back exhaust system will be discussed below.

Disclaimer: “Please use caution and seek professional assistance when necessary. ColoradoFans.com, myself and all associated members are not responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm which may occur with this modification. This post does not reflect the views of ColoradoFans.com and it’s ownership.” Before attempting this modification, it is advised to verify your Colorado or Canyon service manual or a certified mechanic, as not all GMT 355′s are the same!

A CFans Members Mod Projects/How-To by tjm276

Skill Level: Moderate

A performance exhaust system can add great looks, an improved sound and performance gains to your truck. Installing a cat-back exhaust system is something that almost everyone can can do in their garage or driveway with common tools to enhance their truck. I ordered my MBRP “Cool Duals” kit from Tom at Street Beat Customs and I got a great price, great service and lightning fast shipping. I highly recommend contacting Tom (tom@streetbeatcustoms.com) for any accessories you have considered buying for your truck.

The first thing you need to do is inspect the kit and make sure all the correct pieces are present. You don’t want to cut the stock exhaust off your truck before you have a complete kit with which to replace it.

Step 1:

Once you are satisfied that all the pieces of your kit are in the box then you need to jack up the rear of the truck. If you have access to a hydraulic lift then that is obviously the preferred way to go. If not then you will need to use a jack and jack stands to lift the truck to give you enough space to work comfortably. Refer to your Owner’s Manual for instructions on jacking up your truck and proper jack points. If you are uncertain of how to do this safely or do not have the proper jacks/stands then you should have your kit installed by a qualified professional. DO NOT go under you truck if you are uncertain of the proper way to lift it and secure it safely.

Step 2:

The MBRP kit does not fit with the factory spare tire. You will need to remove it before you begin installation. Again, refer to your Owner’s manual for instructions on removing your spare tire.

If you don’t want to drop your rear axle out of the way you will need to cut the stock exhaust piping in order to remove it from the truck. The next three shots show the proper place to cut your stock exhaust. Cut the pipe in a place that is straight in front of the muffler. This will allow you to return your truck to its stock configuration at a later date is you so desire.

Step 3:

You can use a hack saw to cut the pipe, however, I recommend that you use a Sawzall or a similar reciprocating power saw to cut the pipe if you have one available to you. I used a Sawzall and I was very happy that I did. The stock pipe is stainless steel and is a decent thickness and may take some effort to cut by hand.

Step 4:

Remove the stock exhaust from the truck. I recommend using penetrating oil on the 2 nuts/studs that hold the stock cat-back to the flange. This will make removing them much easier.

Step 5:

Now you can begin installing your new exhaust. No matter what kit you choose, you want to loosely install everything starting from the front and working your way back to the tip(s). Make sure you have at least 1/2 inch of clearance near any painted surfaces or body panels to avoid damage to them from the heat of your exhaust. Also, make sure your pipes have adequate clearance from any wiring, fuel lines, brake lines or whatever else your kit comes into close proximity to. The kit will heat up and vibrate so it is important that you have clearance around the pipes in all directions to avoid rattles and/or damage to the other systems in your truck.

Step 6:

The MBRP “Cool Duals” kit is obviously a dual exhaust so it requires an extra hanger be installed on the driver side. Install the hanger loosely at first to allow for adjustment to get everything aligned properly.

Step 7:

Take a step back from the truck and make sure the tip(s) are where you want them. It is especially important with a dual system that you get the tips even and symmetrical so that they look right. Once you are satisfied with how everything has fit together go back under the truck and tighten everything down. Start at the front of the truck and work your way back, like you did when you first put the kit under the truck.

Some exhaust kits will not work with a trailer hitch. The MBRP kit will work with a factory hitch but does not have enough clearance for the massive mounting brackets on a Hidden Hitch like the one I had. You can see where I tried to trim the brackets to allow the tips enough clearance. I got to the point where I was uncomfortable with the amount of trimming I would have to do so I removed the hitch all together. I have a factory style hitch on order and will be bolting that up when it arrives. The point of this is that you want to make sure your exhaust will fit along with the other accessories that you have installed on your truck.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.