Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Chevrolet plans to quietly fix a mistake it made in the mid-size Colorado and Canyon.

30K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  TimmyG 
#1 ·

Chevrolet plans to quietly fix a mistake it made in the mid-size Colorado and Canyon.

General Motors advertises that models equipped with the 3.6-liter direct injection V6 make 305 hp at 6,800 RPM, but the tachometer those trucks are equipped with shows a redline at 6,500 RPM. James Bearing sent an e-mail to several automotive outlets after noticing that the Colorado he recently bought seemed to advertise the ability to make more power than it actually does. In the message, he said Chevrolet hadn’t responded to his inquiries.

Today General Motors truck spokesman Tom Wilkinson said in an e-mail that “the graphics on the cluster of the trucks are slightly off. The redline is 6800, which is where the rev limiter is set. We are updating the graphics on future trucks.”

Wilkinson also included a copy of the power curves from the SAE certification that the Colorado underwent, but didn’t say exactly when GM will implement the correction.

Read More: Colorado, Canyon to get Updated Tachometers » AutoGuide.com News

See less See more
#2 ·
mine reads 6500 lol, wonder if theyll be replacing gauges

Reactions: AEONFLUX
#3 ·
Buyers beware,

If you are looking for the trailer towing wiring harness with GM part number 23455107 beware. Many online are trying to past a custom fit wiring sometimes showing the correct picture, but will mail you a generic trailer wiring harness that requires splicing. Even my local GM dealer where I bought my truck pulled that on me.
Does anyone know where I can buy the Genuine GM trailer hitch wiring with GM part number 23455107?

Below is a picture of the correct and a link showing the generic one.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-23455107-Trailer-Wiring-Harness/dp/B00P45MQW6[/ame]

Attachments

#6 ·
Get a red permanent marker and correct the redline.

I don't see where this is a big issue at all. No way is someone tearing my dash apart for this correction. Sure, if the dash has to be torn into for some other issue and they want to replace it at same time, no sweat. Why ask for rattles?

#8 ·
I don't see the need to tear into the dash for the new graphics.... Mine probably will not be seeing the redline much anyway.... LOL

#14 ·
In the SAE dyno graph, the testers ran that engine up to around 7100-7150 (after HP peak) I wonder at what RPM the valves actually float?

#17 ·
Or sink thru a piston !!! LOL

#18 ·
Mine was built at the end of April and still has the 6500 RPM redline, which does not bother me in the least. What does bother me? The 140 MPH speedo in a vehicle with a 98 MPH factory governor! Reminds me of my '78 Subaru which had a 160 MPH speedo even though the car could only go 87 MPH with the engine past redline in 4th gear.

Reactions: AirBender
#20 ·
My May build is at 6500, will I ever get there, who knows. As far as the 98MPH thing goes, I haven't tried that either. I took a 2011 Nissan Titan to 115 MPH, and I swore I would NEVER EVER do that again in a pickup truck. You could just feel that if something were to happen it's the end, and it was only for a few seconds. Trucks are trucks, Porsche's are well...

#21 ·
To high anyway

If you are buzzing your 3.6 into those rev ranges you should have bought a Camero. These are trucks and the truck LXF 3.6 is tuned to deliver its max torque at a lower RPM, 4000. I've had mine for a few weeks and yes the tach is 6500, which I hadn't even noticed because there is no way my engine will ever be near that. So far its seen maybe 4000. I am still training the transmission to up shift at around 2500 RPM which carries the truck to 50k/30MPH quite nicely. Going on to the freeway I step it up to 3500 and in very short order I'm doing 110k/70MPH. To pass on the open highway you should not need to exceed 4000 to 4500 RPM, right in the torque band. Pulling a trailer might be different but my truck will never do that. DB

#24 ·
Wow.
Almost exactly 6 years! !

Any how, just FYI, I've had a Colorado since 2016 and I've probably looked at my tachometer, maybe, 10 times. :)

#25 ·
I found a very old thread the other day that was a "recommending reading" (below), I think it may have been over 10 years old. I almost bumped it just for fun.

As to looking at the tach, it's often when I forget I've put the transmission in M, but also a lot when towing with the diesel. I don't like the RPMs to get near 1,500 or 3,000.

#26 · (Edited)
The computer controls the engine speed. I've never tried it on this truck but other cars I have tried it will cut the power when it hits a pre-determined rpm. No need for a tach red line...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.