New Site Upgrade and Look Feedback Thread - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Community Manager/Admin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
I agree with that, totally.
We seem to be being swept off to the sidelines.
Even the forum headings, there is no actual tech/general forum for the 1st gen truck.

The very FIRST forum is 2nd Generation Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon , the first subforum is general discussion (where any post not "general" in nature will be moved immediately).
So you go through all these subforums and you find the next forum, General/News.
Second subforum there is General Truck Chat, with the description

"Can't find the correct topic elsewhere? This is the place for general discussion about the Colorado or Canyon.",

Note it does not state 1st or 2nd Generation

which seems to repeat the first subforum in the Second Generation subforum?
So confused, I guess if you have a 1st generation you are relegated to the General/News forum.
OH WAIT but here is a THIRD forum mysteriously and ambiguously named "The Vehicle".
OH this is where we belong, THE VEHICLE, because it's description is "First generation Colorado/Canyon: 2004-2012", although there is no "general" forum, we still need to go to General/News forum for general sort of questions.
Oh and the 4th forum "Tech Talk" is also for 1st generation owners.
So I guess we should be happy we have 2 dedicated forums to us 1st gen owners, well 2 plus General Truck chat in the General/News forum.
It's been sort of a mess for awhile now like this and yes I really feel like 1st Gen is really being given the brush-off.
Hello all,

I spoke to some of the mods before the conversion and we will be reorganizing some forums and updating titles and sections.

No generation is forgotten, we normally put up the latest models in the banner but I can see if we can add a previous generation if you guys feel it is needed.

Jeff
mrharrybay likes this.

Jeff
Community Manager/Admin
AutoGuide.com

For Support or any questions please post here:
http://coloradofans.com/forums/108-c...p-suggestions/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 07:31 PM

First off, I appreciate you guys keeping the old style available, as I far prefer that over the "modern" design (and don't feel bad, it's not just this site, I dislike most of the "modern" designs....most likely because I'm archaic and still using a desktop, and everything else is designed for mobile devices)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Canyon View Post
One suggestion would be to remove the "Most Popular Discussions" from the home page.
I understand it'll populate with new threads, but I'd like to see an option to get rid of this panel altogether. I don't care to see it, I go through the subforums that I'm intersted in. I've "minimized" it, which at least gets the thread list out of the way, but now I've just got that dead space on the screen completely unused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart7881 View Post
There appears to be a concerted effort underway to turn this website into an exclusive 2nd Generation operation. In the Header of the previous home page there was only a very small picture of a 1st Generation Colorado and now even that has disappeared. Usually, in a Forum, the "new guys" aren't given top billing, but here it is just the opposite. Obviously, just like anything else that is new, the 2015 models are going to get a lot of attention, but relegating the earlier models to the bottom of the page insults their Owners, many of whom have been Members here for years. My two cents.
New generation will drive most of the "new" traffic, I don't know why you'd expect what more people are looking for to be moved to the bottom. That being said, I would like to see the "first gen" forums clearly renamed as such, rather than just staying with "General Truck Chat", etc.

Quote:
I agree with that, totally.
We seem to be being swept off to the sidelines.
Even the forum headings, there is no actual tech/general forum for the 1st gen truck.

The very FIRST forum is 2nd Generation Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon , the first subforum is general discussion (where any post not "general" in nature will be moved immediately).
So you go through all these subforums and you find the next forum, General/News.
Second subforum there is General Truck Chat, with the description

"Can't find the correct topic elsewhere? This is the place for general discussion about the Colorado or Canyon.",

Note it does not state 1st or 2nd Generation

which seems to repeat the first subforum in the Second Generation subforum?
So confused, I guess if you have a 1st generation you are relegated to the General/News forum.
OH WAIT but here is a THIRD forum mysteriously and ambiguously named "The Vehicle".
OH this is where we belong, THE VEHICLE, because it's description is "First generation Colorado/Canyon: 2004-2012", although there is no "general" forum, we still need to go to General/News forum for general sort of questions.
Oh and the 4th forum "Tech Talk" is also for 1st generation owners.
So I guess we should be happy we have 2 dedicated forums to us 1st gen owners, well 2 plus General Truck chat in the General/News forum.
It's been sort of a mess for awhile now like this and yes I really feel like 1st Gen is really being given the brush-off.
This has, in my mind, been an issue for a long time....but it goes back to your like/dislike of subforums. I'd rather see about 5 subforums for first gen and the same for second gen, not 15 for either one (or, especially, both), plus all the photos/off topic/unrelated vehicles stuff.
AG Jeff likes this.

Nick http://www.naskie18.com GoogleTalk: naskie18@gmail.com AIM: naskie18

post #43 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 12:26 AM

Is there an option in the software for you to make a link to other posts inside of the forum to look like a link?

This doesn't scream "click me"
New Site Upgrade and Look Feedback Thread

post #44 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 07:08 AM

I personally like the new format. The old format was really hard on my eyes. I know some others think differently, but it actually bothered me to the point that I had to exit out of the forum and do something else to allow time for my eyes to recover and then login again. A big upgrade for me.

While you are upgrading the site I would like to ask the admins to consider setting up dedicated "official" color threads in the photos subforum for the new 2nd generation twins similar to what they have on the Camaro5 site. Those threads get a lot of activity on that site and I think they would here also if set up properly. Would give those with the same color trucks, or buying the same color trucks, a place to gather and share their appearance mods, ideas and pictures. They are a great resource for those new to the forum, and the twins, to get ideas for where they may want to take their trucks appearance-wise down the road.

Just my $.02...
AG Jeff likes this.

2015/Z71/CC/SB/4WD/RRM/Bose/Nav/Tow Package/Tonneau Cover/5" Black Side Steps/Factory Bed Liner/Homelink Mod/OEM Hood Deflector/Black Bowties/Zone 1.25" Lift Kit
10/18/14 - Ordered
12/3/14 - 4000 - Built - Got VIN
12/4/14 - 4b00 - QC hold
1/9/15 - 4b00 - QC hold released
2/20/15 - 4200 - Shipped and on a train
3/3/15 - 6000 - Finally took delivery - 136 days after ordering (19 weeks 3 days) - 93 days after being built (13 weeks 2 days)
Worth the wait!!!
post #45 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 09:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Is there an option in the software for you to make a link to other posts inside of the forum to look like a link?

I agree with this. The blue pantone used looks too close to the standard letter color against the white background. Maybe a RED and an underline, or RED Italicized?

Last edited by RatRacer; 03-05-2015 at 09:18 AM.
post #46 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 02:08 PM

I'm new here, I would just like to say, I like the old site much better.

Jim
post #47 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Community Manager/Admin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by naskie18 View Post
First off, I appreciate you guys keeping the old style available, as I far prefer that over the "modern" design (and don't feel bad, it's not just this site, I dislike most of the "modern" designs....most likely because I'm archaic and still using a desktop, and everything else is designed for mobile devices)..

I understand it'll populate with new threads, but I'd like to see an option to get rid of this panel altogether. I don't care to see it, I go through the subforums that I'm intersted in. I've "minimized" it, which at least gets the thread list out of the way, but now I've just got that dead space on the screen completely unused.

New generation will drive most of the "new" traffic, I don't know why you'd expect what more people are looking for to be moved to the bottom. That being said, I would like to see the "first gen" forums clearly renamed as such, rather than just staying with "General Truck Chat", etc.

This has, in my mind, been an issue for a long time....but it goes back to your like/dislike of subforums. I'd rather see about 5 subforums for first gen and the same for second gen, not 15 for either one (or, especially, both), plus all the photos/off topic/unrelated vehicles stuff.
Thanks for the feedback

You can always use the forum toolbar marked "Forums" up at the top and pick specific forums to view or the following:
Tools >Search > My Posts/My Treads.

I pinged the mod team about some forum title and description updates. We should have some updates to the layout and forum organization soon.

Jeff

Jeff
Community Manager/Admin
AutoGuide.com

post #48 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Community Manager/Admin

Garage
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
I agree with this. The blue pantone used looks too close to the standard letter color against the white background. Maybe a RED and an underline, or RED Italicized?
If others feel the same we can bold it a bit more or change the font color.

Thoughts from anybody else.

Jeff

Jeff
Community Manager/Admin
AutoGuide.com

post #49 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 06:59 PM

Garage
How do you select the "old look". I also liked the dark background better, as long as someone didn't select black lettering or some color other than white. The blue background is easier on my eyes.

2017 Crew Cab Long Box Z71 V6 4WD Brownstone
post #50 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 07:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
How do you select the "old look". I also liked the dark background better, as long as someone didn't select black lettering or some color other than white. The blue background is easier on my eyes.
At the very bottom of page in the blue border, on left, is a --ColoradoFans.com drop box. Click on it, and choose the legacy option.
post #51 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 08:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
At the very bottom of page in the blue border, on left, is a --ColoradoFans.com drop box. Click on it, and choose the legacy option.
Thanks, got it changed, eyes happy
AG Jeff likes this.

post #52 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 09:49 PM

Two more things I've noticed.

Is it me (I can't find a setting for it) or is the quick reply box gone? I have to select the Reply button in the left below the last post to open the box.

Can you bring the search feature back to be more easily selectable. It takes a few clicks/expansions to get Advanced Search to load. I feel it's easier to just have a search feature available for quick access.
post #53 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 04:42 AM

Garage
Using the quick reply box to see if it works.

post #54 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 04:43 AM

Garage
Yes, yes it does.

post #55 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 10:34 AM

The reply box has always been expanded in the past, by default. If think it is a better option to have the box expanded by default.

I'm a laptop user, the less I have to use the touchpad, the better. :)
post #56 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 11:23 AM

Thanks for giving us the option to use the "Legacy" version. You know what they say about teaching an old dog new tricks...
AG Jeff likes this.
post #57 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Community Manager/Admin

Garage
Quote:
Two more things I've noticed.

Is it me (I can't find a setting for it) or is the quick reply box gone? I have to select the Reply button in the left below the last post to open the box.

Can you bring the search feature back to be more easily selectable. It takes a few clicks/expansions to get Advanced Search to load. I feel it's easier to just have a search feature available for quick access.
Quote:
Using the quick reply box to see if it works.
Seems to be working fine on Chrome for me. See screenshot.

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: png ColoradoQR.png (103.3 KB, 7 views)

Jeff
Community Manager/Admin
AutoGuide.com

post #58 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 09:58 PM

Is it just me or is there something funky going on with the driver side windows of the middle truck on the banner. Looks almost like a third window was poorly photoshopped into it. I'm not sure if this has been brought up or not. I did a thread search. I'm not bothered by it and I'm sure most haven't noticed.
post #59 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Using "Legacy" version we went from 1 or 2 ad banners to 3 or 4... wow. Pages load even slower now... as a moderator I move a lot of threads and now it takes forever.

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods
post #60 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 07:30 PM

Im new here and not yet and owner but active researching on the new 2015+ 2nd Gen trucks.

Ive noticed that not all the 2nd gen sub forum sections are prefixed in their names by "2015" or "2nd Gen". For example the sub forum "2015 Chevrolet Colorado Forum / 2015 GMC Canyon Forum " has 2015 in it but the "Engines and Technical Discussion " sub forum doesn't.

When I use the "New Posts" link I can't distinguish these from the 1st Gen forums, so I end up skipping threads relevant to becoming a new owner as I try to pick only those in forums labeled "2015".

Is there a way to update the forum titles to include "2015" or "2nd Gen" so we can more easily distinguish what threads apply to which version trucks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode