• 1 Post By savagebob
  • 1 Post By admin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Attention - Upcoming Password Change

Hello Everyone,

Per the latest announcements we will be resetting everyone’s passwords. Shortly you should be receiving an email directing you how to change your password. It will look like this:

Quote:
Quote:
Subject: Your new password for *site name*

Dear *username*,

Your password has been reset by an administrator. Your new details are as follows:

Username: *username*

Password: *Randomly generated temp password*

To change your password, please visit this page: *link to password reset edit page from USERCP*

If you suspect this email is a scam, you can confirm the legitimacy of this email by manually navigate to the forum URL yourself and use your new password to log in.

All the best,

Site Name

As you can see it will give you a randomly generated temporary password, as well as telling you where you need to go to updated it accordingly.

If you do not receive this email please go to the contact us page and select Other, and type in Security Password Update Issues

We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

The Community Support Team

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 07:38 PM

If people are wondering why...as most would, who doesn't want to know.

Toronto-based VerticalScope gets 45 million records stolen by hackers | MobileSyrup.com

So, the more prudent thing for users to ensure is that you do not use the same password for forums and other websites that you use for your email and banking accounts.
Your email is associated with your fourm id, if you use the same password for forums as you do for your email account, CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ACCOUNT PASSWORD and never have them the same.
impact likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 09:00 AM

Garage
Incredibly poorly run. Good job.

2015 Cyber Gray SLT CC SB 4x4
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 09:21 AM

The thing that concerned me was the typo in the following sentence:

If you suspect this email is a scam, you can confirm the legitimacy of this email by manually navigate to the forum URL yourself and use your new password to log in.

It should read: navigating. Many of the spam emails contain obvious typos such as this one.

Changed my password and now seem good to go

2015 Colorado Z71
2011 Corvette Grand Sport
2006 Harley Dyna Street Bob
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewayne View Post
If people are wondering why...as most would, who doesn't want to know.

Toronto-based VerticalScope gets 45 million records stolen by hackers | MobileSyrup.com

So, the more prudent thing for users to ensure is that you do not use the same password for forums and other websites that you use for your email and banking accounts.
Your email is associated with your fourm id, if you use the same password for forums as you do for your email account, CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ACCOUNT PASSWORD and never have them the same.

The article fails to mention that the breach was for a third party plugin. This breach is on countless sites across the internet and not just limited to ours.

Their system was compromised and they grabbed user data for us and thousands of others. We cleared our part of the breach and went this route to further security. This is also in place as many members on the internet use the same or similar passwords across all things they use.

These tech blogs don't ever get the full story, there just have hearsay and run with and embellish it.

We cannot go into detail at the moment as it is being dealt with on a legal level.

Yes, never use the same password on all things, especially personal banking or email. Multiple passwords for multiple things is always a good avenue for a happy and safe internet experience.

Thanks,
JB
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 02:32 PM

Definitely kudos to the board moderators/owners for swift action of reseting the passwords.
Many forum owners are not swift to act, or do not inform their users.

Many have said the 10 character limit is too much, but it is a prudent measure.
admin likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 01:04 PM

Yeah, four days to get a password reset is absolutely ridiculous.
And unless you just happened to come along to this section of the site there was no advance notice. A stickie? Really?

Out of dozens of forums THIS ONE is the ONLY one with this problem. GAAH!!

Chris Brown
2015 Colorado LT Ext-Cab 4X4 • I4 • Black/Black • Bose & Nav
Link for DIY: Cargo/Dog Platform Build For Ext-Cab
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
If you miss the chance to change the password, send a forgot password request. Please keep in might that if you don't get the temp password sent to you, your mail server might be blocking us. Please add the following emails to your contact/safe list: bounce@vsobr.com and coloradofans.com@vsobr.com

Also, some of you might not remember what your emails on the account is. Please go to your user CP and then go to change email and password, your email is displayed there.

Lee
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 11:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
If you miss the chance to change the password, send a forgot password request. Please keep in might that if you don't get the temp password sent to you, your mail server might be blocking us. Please add the following emails to your contact/safe list: bounce@vsobr.com and coloradofans.com@vsobr.com

Also, some of you might not remember what your emails on the account is. Please go to your user CP and then go to change email and password, your email is displayed there.

Lee
No problems with my e-mail, not blocked or in spam folder. Your e-mails are just not getting through with the new temp PW. Happened twice. Next time I might not bother going through the hassle.

Also, now my PM replies are not getting through. They don't show up in the sent folder either and there is no reference that shows that they have been replied to.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 11:28 AM

Garage
@Toughsox @jaeisber notice

@Toughsox I have replied to your PM, but they are apparently not getting through.
@jaeisber I also have replied to your PM. Please respond if you received the response.

savagebob
Toughsox likes this.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
for those having password issues, If you are unable to get your password resets properly sorted out due to old emails on your account still after the notice was sent out, we ask that you go down to the contact us area, and with the subject line of "password reset" add the following contents for me:

- Account Name
- Email On the account
- Email You need it changed to if need be

add all this, then hit send, and someone on our team will answer that email and fix your account up no problem.

You can do the same and send us a PM privately to have it manually changed, but due to the influx and us tackling a lot of issues, this would be a slower way of getting it reset. we recommend you use the contact us form to get it resolved if you can. If that does fail though and you have waited too long, send us a PM and we will Manually reset it. Just make sure you supply the information above for a quicker fix.

Also, If you do have the right email on your account, I would ask you to please check your spam/junk folders as sometimes with certain email providers, it tends to land in there.

if you all need anything else, please let me know.

~Shane
savagebob likes this.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 01:16 PM

The password request emails must be going to another entity as they finally replied to mine after about 2 weeks.
What a great system!

Chris Brown
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 04:05 PM

@admin My PMs are not getting through and don't show up in my sent PMs. Additionally, I get a dark grey, almost black. screen when trying to open posters attached pictures. This started just after my password change. Hope there's a fix.

'16 Z71 EC
GMPP Exhaust - K&N (Stock CAI) - Hypertech 89 Octane Tune
Hellwig Anti Sway Bar - Rear

Morimoto HID conversion 5500K
Morimoto LED Projector Fog Lights 5500K
GM Color Matched Grille
AVS VentShades
Colorado badges removed
Black Bow Ties

Red LED Dome lights
Canyon (soft) black center arm rest
Canyon Dark Bronze Aluminum Radio Bezel
Browneye's Rear Seat Shelf

Bed Rug & Tailgate Mats

More to come!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Hi guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
The password request emails must be going to another entity as they finally replied to mine after about 2 weeks.
What a great system!
We're really sorry about the delays. Unfortunately we have had a surplus of emails come through regarding the password issue and the team has been working around the clock to respond individually to every email that comes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief2016 View Post
@admin My PMs are not getting through and don't show up in my sent PMs. Additionally, I get a dark grey, almost black. screen when trying to open posters attached pictures. This started just after my password change. Hope there's a fix.
Are you able to grab a screenshot of what you are seeing?

~Sheena
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 04:20 PM

@admin Here is a screen shot of when trying to open an attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (32.0 KB, 5 views)

'16 Z71 EC
GMPP Exhaust - K&N (Stock CAI) - Hypertech 89 Octane Tune
Hellwig Anti Sway Bar - Rear

Morimoto HID conversion 5500K
Morimoto LED Projector Fog Lights 5500K
GM Color Matched Grille
AVS VentShades
Colorado badges removed
Black Bow Ties

Red LED Dome lights
Canyon (soft) black center arm rest
Canyon Dark Bronze Aluminum Radio Bezel
Browneye's Rear Seat Shelf

Bed Rug & Tailgate Mats

More to come!
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 11:14 AM

Got this today from 'vertical scope' - apparently some kind of data repository for web forums. The 'breach' from February is just now being mentioned. What a bunch of lame-duck bozos...
After five months they are just getting around to notifying thousands of forum members. Gaah!!!!

Notice of Data Breach
You may have heard reports recently about a security issue involving VerticalScope. We would like to make sure you have the facts about what happened, what information was involved, and the steps we are taking to help protect you. VerticalScope owns and operates a number of community websites. You are receiving this email because you are a registered user of the following community website(s) involved in the data breach:

coloradofans.com [as well as a list of other forums I am a member of - about a dozen of them]

What Happened?
On June 13, 2016, we became aware that February 2016 data stolen from VerticalScope was being made available online.
What Information Was Involved?
Community member usernames, email addresses, hashed passwords, community userIDS, community website, and the IP address the username originally registered with.
What We Are Doing
We have invalidated passwords of all VerticalScope user accounts. We have posted a site security notification on each site updating users on the potential risk to certain accounts, the password reset and steps we are implementing to improve security. We have implemented stronger password rules (passwords now require a minimum of 10+ characters and a mixture of upper- and lower-case letters, numbers and symbols) along with automated account password expiries to encourage more frequent password changes. We will remind our users to use good password practices (not using the same password for multiple online accounts and using unique strong passwords). We are in the process of implementing additional safeguards to detect, alert and mitigate any future brute force attempts, and have notified our third party vendors that interact with our various forum API's of the February breach to allow their own security teams to investigate. We are continuing our investigation and will be collecting information to provide to the appropriate law enforcement authorities.
VerticalScope is taking steps to strengthen account security. We were already using encrypted passwords and salted hashes to store passwords, and our new password controls are intended to further strengthen user security. We are taking steps to investigate and test new encryption and security technologies to further protect our users.
What You Can Do
To keep your account as safe as possible, we recommend that you regularly change your VerticalScope community password, and that you use a unique password for each of your online accounts. Using the same password for multiple online accounts significantly increases your chances of being compromised. Even though the passwords stolen in February were hashed, we recommend that if you were using (or are currently using) your VerticalScope community password across multiple online accounts, that you change your password for such other online accounts. We encourage you to regularly review your accounts and report any suspicious or unrecognized activity immediately.
For More Information
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Community Management team by email at cmsupport@verticalscope.com or on the website that you frequent. A support thread has been created on each website, and our support teams are on there to help you through the process and answer any questions you may have. A Notice of Data Breach is also available on community websites involved in the data breach.

This email was sent by VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 700, Toronto, ON, M5V2H1. If you have any questions regarding the communications you receive from us, please contact us.

Chris Brown
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
We have also posted Security and Data Breach Notification Click Here on the home page for several weeks now.

If you are having issues with your account please send us a PM or a email using Contact Us.

Thank you,

~ Glenda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode