• 1 Post By admin
  • 2 Post By mgw5099
  • 1 Post By mgw5099
  • 1 Post By Chief2016

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Site Performance Degradation

Is it just me or is this site getting slower with more and more advertising content being added? It sometimes takes me 2 or 3 attempts just to log on due to all the ad content being loaded and interfering with the logon process.

I understand the need to pay the bills, but if site becomes unusable, what's the point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 11:16 AM

Yes.

It's definitely the pervasiveness of the ads, IMO. There is likely a ton of meta data gathering in their code that is slowing down page loading times.

Im very sure that's the majority of your issue since I have crappy performance on this site at work where I can't use adblock but pretty good performance at home with adblock running.

I doubt the admins will do anything about it since they only allow the space for the ads to display, it's not the site's content, it's the ad company's that run the code behind them.

In a perfect world there would be a "report ad" button or something near the ads that you could click and report specific ads that loaded slow or crapped out pages.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 01:23 PM

Seeing the same thing here. Along with slow load times and significant lag, the site is eating up a TON of memory too. If I open more than a couple tabs on this site in Chrome, it easily jumps up to 500+ MB used alone in just those 3 tabs. Hopefully something gets changed soon because it is making this site a pain to use.

2016 GMC Canyon CC 4x4 AT SB Onyx Black
Westin Pro Traxx 4
Trifecta Advantage Performance Tune
American Tri-Fold Soft Tonneau
Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights
Custom LED Bedlights
Diode Dynamics Cargo/Reverse/License Plate Bulbs
Morimoto XB35 5500K HID Low Beams

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 02:09 PM
KMW

I've also found it nearly impossible to use on a computer. I mostly just browse in Tapatalk now it's so bad.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Garage
hey all,

Can you let me know which browsers you are using? im on firefox, windows 7, and no adblockers, and things are running smooth here. just want to see which browsers you are on and system performance on them as well.

~Shane
robber98 likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
hey all,

Can you let me know which browsers you are using? im on firefox, windows 7, and no adblockers, and things are running smooth here. just want to see which browsers you are on and system performance on them as well.

~Shane
I am running Chrome 52.0.2743.82 beta-m (64-bit) on Windows 8.1. I typically do not see performance issues when I only have a single tab open. However, if I open multiple tabs for different threads, I start to see issues.

Westin Pro Traxx 4
Custom LED Bedlights
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
hey all,

~Shane
IE11 windows 8 no blockers = kinda sucky
IE11 windows 10 adblock = no issues.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeisber View Post
I am running Chrome 52.0.2743.82 beta-m (64-bit) on Windows 8.1. I typically do not see performance issues when I only have a single tab open. However, if I open multiple tabs for different threads, I start to see issues.
That could just mean that the browser is being flooded. this happens to me whenever I have to many tabs open, especially when I have youtube or spotify tabs running in there as well.
A quick clearing of the caches and having heavier sites opened with different browsers does help.

Lee
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 12:09 PM

Garage
Try installing Ghostery in your browser. It stops the ads and trackers...it's amazing. I'm in IT, major Fortune 500 company, not involved with selling or with Ghostery in any way. It's an awesome free product for individuals/consumers, works best on laptops/desktops with Safari, Chrome, Firefox, IE and cross platform Mac/Win. For small form factor (smartphone/tablet), rather than a plug in, they provide a browser...it's ok, there are a few quirks I've found, but worth it if you don't want all the ad companies and google knowing what you do/search and definitely speeds things up.

I have it installed and I've had zero problems with the site...very fast for me.

-Mike
RatRacer and Chief2016 like this.

Gilbert, AZ
2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain Hybrid
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 01:34 PM

Garage
Forgot to mention, Ghostery tells me it is blocking 18 trackers on coloradofans.com. That's the highest I've seen on any site that I visit.
RatRacer likes this.

Gilbert, AZ
2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain Hybrid
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm using Windows 10 with Edge and performance was really bad until today. Have you changed something? Things seem a bit smoother and I was able to log in on the first attempt.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
That could just mean that the browser is being flooded. this happens to me whenever I have to many tabs open, especially when I have youtube or spotify tabs running in there as well.
A quick clearing of the caches and having heavier sites opened with different browsers does help.

Lee
The high mem and CPU util is only caused by the coloradofans.com tabs. I consistently run multiple windows with numerous tabs without incident, unless I run in to a site like this one that chews up the memory and CPU. Taking a look in Chrome's task manager specifically points out coloradofans.com tabs as the culprit. As soon as the tabs are killed, everything reverts back to normal.

Westin Pro Traxx 4
Custom LED Bedlights
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeisber View Post
The high mem and CPU util is only caused by the coloradofans.com tabs. I consistently run multiple windows with numerous tabs without incident, unless I run in to a site like this one that chews up the memory and CPU. Taking a look in Chrome's task manager specifically points out coloradofans.com tabs as the culprit. As soon as the tabs are killed, everything reverts back to normal.
That is very true, but it can also be from outdated plugins and addons such as flash, java, video card drivers, shockwave instability, etc. Ive had members report similar things, but after advising them to update everything, and do a full clean on their end (temp folders, internet files, clean installs, malware clean ups, etc) it usually fixes it up for them.

due to the flash ad's and updated layouts, it could be processing graphic's on less streamlined versions of these plugins/addons.

let me know if that helps.

~Shane
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 10:54 AM

Garage
Script Safe ftw! Loads just as quick as any other site, currently blocking 15 items

2016 Colorado Extended Cab 2wd Cyber Metallic Gray
It's almost as pretty as a Canyon
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 11:47 AM

So far this AM from work I can say that site is performing much better than usual.

I have noticed though that both top and bottom banner ads are not loading..lol, they are just blank white boxes. So food for thought
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
That is very true, but it can also be from outdated plugins and addons such as flash, java, video card drivers, shockwave instability, etc. Ive had members report similar things, but after advising them to update everything, and do a full clean on their end (temp folders, internet files, clean installs, malware clean ups, etc) it usually fixes it up for them.

due to the flash ad's and updated layouts, it could be processing graphic's on less streamlined versions of these plugins/addons.

let me know if that helps.

~Shane
Shane, I appreciate the information. However, I keep all of my browsers, plug-ins and add-ons up to date. I don;t allow them to get more than one release behind and am fairly quick at updating when a new version is released. Something that has been drilled into me working in IT.

Westin Pro Traxx 4
Custom LED Bedlights
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
So far this AM from work I can say that site is performing much better than usual.

I have noticed though that both top and bottom banner ads are not loading..lol, they are just blank white boxes. So food for thought
This..seems much better today.

Westin Pro Traxx 4
Custom LED Bedlights
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Garage
That's good to hear.
Let us know if this sparks up again.

Richard.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 02:10 PM

I have IE set to prompt me for 3rd party cookies. I've never visited a site that has as many as this one. I just set to block all the 3rd party cookies that showed up. Ghostery was a nice addition. Had not heard of it. Thanks @mgw5099
mgw5099 likes this.

'16 Z71 EC
GMPP Exhaust - K&N (Stock CAI) - Hypertech 89 Octane Tune
Hellwig Anti Sway Bar - Rear

Morimoto HID conversion 5500K
Morimoto LED Projector Fog Lights 5500K
GM Color Matched Grille
AVS VentShades
Colorado badges removed
Black Bow Ties

Red LED Dome lights
Canyon (soft) black center arm rest
Canyon Dark Bronze Aluminum Radio Bezel
Browneye's Rear Seat Shelf

Bed Rug & Tailgate Mats

More to come!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode