Subforum suggestions - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By kaiser67
  • 3 Post By Janster
  • 1 Post By kaiser67
  • 1 Post By CrashFix
  • 2 Post By CrashFix
  • 1 Post By Blue15ColoradoLT
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Gilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Evansville WI
Posts: 1,805
Garage
Subforum suggestions

Bahamatodd sent me, LOL.

I have been a little concerned over the direction of someforums lately, one case in point was an "Official Denali Thread" which I think belonged in the main "2nd Gen Chevrolet Colorado Forum / 2015 GMC Canyon Forum", but was moved to Purchasing and Ordering subforum (I guess these are both actually subforums). I have nothing to do with starting it and no interest in GMC Canyons at all really but want to chime in, as you can see I have been here quite awhile. But I think the OP wanted it to be more general discussion, not exclusive to ordering and I chimed in that I thought it was a wrong move.

In my latest post I explained that I still think this is going in the wrong direction, as one mod wanted the discussion kept to Purchasing and Ordering. The thread was moved IMHO to the wrong subforum, then another mod wants discussion kept to Purchasing and Ordering..... sigh.

So my latest thought was, and realize I don't think every model needs it's own subforum, but I suggested creating 2 new subforums, one for Denali and one for ZR2. Realizing there is a seperate Diesel forum for no other reason than the engine change, I think these 2 models are exclusive enough (as well as the Diesel) to warrant their own discussion forums, not just Purchase and Ordering, general discussion.

I also have no intent on buying any of these models, BTW, just trying to help out the site.

While you're at it you could add a general discussion forum for Gen 1 models, sorely lacking since the forums were split up when the Gen 2 came out.

2017 Crew Cab Long Box Z71 V6 4WD Brownstone
Gilly is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 02:22 PM
Senior Member
 
BeastStarr68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Concord NC
Posts: 608
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
Bahamatodd sent me, LOL.

I have been a little concerned over the direction of someforums lately, one case in point was an "Official Denali Thread" which I think belonged in the main "2nd Gen Chevrolet Colorado Forum / 2015 GMC Canyon Forum", but was moved to Purchasing and Ordering subforum (I guess these are both actually subforums). I have nothing to do with starting it and no interest in GMC Canyons at all really but want to chime in, as you can see I have been here quite awhile. But I think the OP wanted it to be more general discussion, not exclusive to ordering and I chimed in that I thought it was a wrong move.

In my latest post I explained that I still think this is going in the wrong direction, as one mod wanted the discussion kept to Purchasing and Ordering. The thread was moved IMHO to the wrong subforum, then another mod wants discussion kept to Purchasing and Ordering..... sigh.

So my latest thought was, and realize I don't think every model needs it's own subforum, but I suggested creating 2 new subforums, one for Denali and one for ZR2. Realizing there is a seperate Diesel forum for no other reason than the engine change, I think these 2 models are exclusive enough (as well as the Diesel) to warrant their own discussion forums, not just Purchase and Ordering, general discussion.

I also have no intent on buying any of these models, BTW, just trying to help out the site.

While you're at it you could add a general discussion forum for Gen 1 models, sorely lacking since the forums were split up when the Gen 2 came out.
With this logic we should have a different 2017 Canyon sub forum because of the new power train. Really does not matter to me...I can easily scan to find what I am interested in and want to chime in on. The Denali really is not different enough from the other trims to warrant its own sub forum IMHO. The ZR2 is a specialty vehicle from what I have seen and may warrant its own..

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic

Last edited by BeastStarr68; 12-15-2016 at 02:25 PM.
BeastStarr68 is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 02:36 PM
Senior Member
 
kaiser67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Masshole
Posts: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastStarr68 View Post
With this logic we should have a different 2017 Canyon sub forum because of the new power train. Really does not matter to me...I can easily scan to find what I am interested in and want to chime in on. The Denali really is not different enough from the other trims to warrant its own sub forum IMHO. The ZR2 is a specialty vehicle from what I have seen and may warrant its own..
Denali owners think otherwise.
BeastStarr68 likes this.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
kaiser67 is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 03:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Janster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,207
We don't need a bunch of sub forms unless there's an obvious member base and a huge number of threads. For the Diesels - there's a lot of thread so it justifies a subforum. For Everything else? Not to much.

Threads shouldn't be moved unless its obvious.....like and INTERIOR topic posted in the FOR SALE section. A no brainer....

I don't know if they do this anymore....but when they merge similar threads together is a nightmare to try and 'follow' a thread. I'd rather have 20 different threads on the same topic - each has its own twist / flavor and path. By adding everything into one huge thread - it's impossible to follow. One post you're reading something and the next post is totally unrelated to the previous post. Threads have a storyline as people respond to each other. YOu can't get that with a merged thread.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
Janster is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 08:02 AM
Senior Member
 
kaiser67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Masshole
Posts: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
We don't need a bunch of sub forms unless there's an obvious member base and a huge number of threads. For the Diesels - there's a lot of thread so it justifies a subforum. For Everything else? Not to much.

Threads shouldn't be moved unless its obvious.....like and INTERIOR topic posted in the FOR SALE section. A no brainer....

I don't know if they do this anymore....but when they merge similar threads together is a nightmare to try and 'follow' a thread. I'd rather have 20 different threads on the same topic - each has its own twist / flavor and path. By adding everything into one huge thread - it's impossible to follow. One post you're reading something and the next post is totally unrelated to the previous post. Threads have a storyline as people respond to each other. YOu can't get that with a merged thread.
Agreed. Sucks reading through pages of a thread and then all of a sudden something similar to the original post and replies to that come up. Do that a couple times from multiple merged threads and it's all jumbled to hell.
However, there are a lot of the same topics started or exact same questions asked from people not searching or not caring and starting a new one.
Janster likes this.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
kaiser67 is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator
 
Arctic Cat ZRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Palm PA
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
We don't need a bunch of sub forms unless there's an obvious member base and a huge number of threads. For the Diesels - there's a lot of thread so it justifies a subforum. For Everything else? Not to much.

Threads shouldn't be moved unless its obvious.....like and INTERIOR topic posted in the FOR SALE section. A no brainer....

I don't know if they do this anymore....but when they merge similar threads together is a nightmare to try and 'follow' a thread. I'd rather have 20 different threads on the same topic - each has its own twist / flavor and path. By adding everything into one huge thread - it's impossible to follow. One post you're reading something and the next post is totally unrelated to the previous post. Threads have a storyline as people respond to each other. You can't get that with a merged thread.
We still do actively do this, it so when people go to actually search a topic, the information can be easily found instead of being in multiple threads. To be honest if people used the darn search function more before posting new threads it wouldn't be such a problem. Some people like this others do not, but it is our job to try and keep this forum as organized as possible.

In terms of the other suggestions some more sub-forums I will post this in our private mod section and see what the other mods/admins think.

Thanks for the suggestions


2015 Colorado Red Rock Metallic CC Long Bed Z71 4x4
-Mods So Far: Rally Armor UR Plus Flaps, Yellow Tinted Fog Lights, Access Vanish Cover, Linex, EGR Matte Black Wind Deflectors, P3 Brake Controller, MBRP Stainless Steel Cat-Back, Anzo LED Tail-lights, Uniden Bearcat 880 CB w/3' Firestik, Falken ATw3 Wildpeak 265/65R17 tires

Self Diagnosed RC Car/Truck Addict

Site Rules
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
 
BahamaTodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 8,322
My fault with that thread. I should have closed it and started a new thread for order tracking so the title and initial posts wouldn't cause confusion. However a thread for "all things Denali" would be a disaster. The purpose of a forum is to provide an organized structure to discuss and be able to search for specific topics. A single thread with everything from ordering, photos, to issues would eventually grow into a huge mess of multiple topics.

The Denali really doesn't deserve its own section. A section needs to provide enough discussion of content that is different than what is covered in other sections. The Denali differs with (off the top of my head), grill, ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, wireless phone charger... and that's about it.

ZR2 is debatable. I would say most ZR2 discussion could go into the offroad section (which is pretty dead anyway). Maybe just re-purpose and rename the section for ZR2 and General Offroad discussion?

2004 GMC Canyon SLE Ext Cab Z71 4x4

Site Rules
BahamaTodd is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 10:51 AM
Senior Member
 
kaiser67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Masshole
Posts: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
My fault with that thread. I should have closed it and started a new thread for order tracking so the title and initial posts wouldn't cause confusion. However a thread for "all things Denali" would be a disaster. The purpose of a forum is to provide an organized structure to discuss and be able to search for specific topics. A single thread with everything from ordering, photos, to issues would eventually grow into a huge mess of multiple topics.

The Denali really doesn't deserve its own section. A section needs to provide enough discussion of content that is different than what is covered in other sections. The Denali differs with (off the top of my head), grill, ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, wireless phone charger... and that's about it.

ZR2 is debatable. I would say most ZR2 discussion could go into the offroad section (which is pretty dead anyway). Maybe just re-purpose and rename the section for ZR2 and General Offroad discussion?
Just need the ZR2 to come out first. I'm sure off-roading may pick up a bit then as well.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
kaiser67 is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 11:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Janster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
However, there are a lot of the same topics started or exact same questions asked from people not searching or not caring and starting a new one.
I've been cruising various forums since 1999 (No, Not Prince!!) and that never goes away.......no matter what you do. And its for a variety different reasons, from newbies, topic specifics/details, laziness, timing and not having enough time to read 'everything' and you never get the exact information you're looking for anyway. Sometimes its just quicker and easier to post a new one..... We've all done it.

...and sometimes people just want to start their own thread for the purpose of talking, communicating, socializing, and bonding with the forum and other people. Nothing wrong with that either. If you're someone who's depressed and reading and posting threads in this forum helps ease your depression...POST UP!!!

Sometimes its useless banter.....so what? We all do it on facebook right? LOL

I totally understand the headaches of what the moderators go thru. I'm sure its a Thankless job they volunteer to do. They don't need to spend their valuable time sifting thru, sorting, organizing, and moving threads like they do. There is sooo much more work they do on the side (that we don't see). They need to spend more time with their family & friends!
:)

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
Janster is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 02:10 PM
Senior Member
 
CrashFix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Posts: 953
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat ZRT View Post
To be honest if people used the darn search function more before posting new threads it wouldn't be such a problem. Some people like this others do not, but it is our job to try and keep this forum as organized as possible.
Further to the search topic.

I've been around here a little while & I think I'm fairly "confuser" literate, but I myself am not clear on the proper way to use the search feature, is there a help page or sticky on the topic anywhere?

Sure I can use the search feature, but if I knew the correct format to find exact set of words or any of the words typed in the search bar I would probably have better luck.

My main question:

Scenario #1 Say I want a search to find ALL threads or posts with the following words "Synthetic Gear Oil", what do I type?

Scenario #2 Here I'm OK with the results showing ANY of the following words "Synthetic Gear Oil". What would I type differently for that search vs Scenario #1?


Thanks
Janster likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT | 4WD | CC | SB | V6 | Summit White | Blk Leather | Nav | Bose | Safety Pkg | Remote Start | 5" Blk Assist Steps | GM Splash Guards | OBDLink MX Bluetooth Adapter & Torque Pro Software | Bull Ring Tie Downs | X-Pel Clear Film (Door Sill & Rear Lower Box) | Husky X-act Contour Front & Back Floor Mats | Z71/All-Terrain Transfer Case Skid Plate | SuperSkidz Front Skid Plate | Rocker Pinch Welds Blacked Out | Debadged | Blizzacks (For Winter)
How to Search vBulletin.org effectively
CrashFix is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator
 
Arctic Cat ZRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Palm PA
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFix View Post
Further to the search topic.

I've been around here a little while & I think I'm fairly "confuser" literate, but I myself am not clear on the proper way to use the search feature, is there a help page or sticky on the topic anywhere?

Sure I can use the search feature, but if I knew the correct format to find exact set of words or any of the words typed in the search bar I would probably have better luck.

My main question:

Scenario #1 Say I want a search to find ALL threads or posts with the following words "Synthetic Gear Oil", what do I type?

Scenario #2 Here I'm OK with the results showing ANY of the following words "". What would I type differently for that search vs Scenario #1?


Thanks
To be honest, anytime that I have actually searched on this board I used either a phrase or keyword in the upper right hand search bar. Today for example I wanted to search method wheels, I started with just "method", this got me to where I wanted to go. In terms of general searching I used simple phrases or even just key words, nothing special. You can also advanced search with options in terms of which sub forum to look in or if you are looking for posts or threads, plus there are many other options (Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon - Search Forums). Please also note that you can search also search subforum by the upper right hand corner of the thread/subforum display which is usually just below the page number for either the sub forum or thread.

For me the simpler the better.

In terms of your answer I would literally enter your phrase synthetic gear oil. If you want to search the phrase and not just the key words try putting the phrase in parentheses, seemed to work for me but I'd be interested if it worked for other as well.

If anyone with more knowledge wants to chime in please do!

At any rate I hope me reply at least partially helps you and others.

Thanks!


2015 Colorado Red Rock Metallic CC Long Bed Z71 4x4
-Mods So Far: Rally Armor UR Plus Flaps, Yellow Tinted Fog Lights, Access Vanish Cover, Linex, EGR Matte Black Wind Deflectors, P3 Brake Controller, MBRP Stainless Steel Cat-Back, Anzo LED Tail-lights, Uniden Bearcat 880 CB w/3' Firestik, Falken ATw3 Wildpeak 265/65R17 tires

Self Diagnosed RC Car/Truck Addict

Site Rules
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 03:46 AM
Senior Member
 
CrashFix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Posts: 953
Garage
@Arctic Cat ZRT I think some basic general search engine tips work within the advanced search feature.

I've tested this, it works & is handy to use--> Use quotes to search for an exact phrase.

These below I don't believe work.
*Use an asterisk within quotes to specify unknown or variable words.
*Use the minus sign to eliminate results containing certain words.

Perhaps our resident IT professional @and_steve can chime in if he has any further knowledge in this area?
Arctic Cat ZRT and Janster like this.

2015 Canyon SLT | 4WD | CC | SB | V6 | Summit White | Blk Leather | Nav | Bose | Safety Pkg | Remote Start | 5" Blk Assist Steps | GM Splash Guards | OBDLink MX Bluetooth Adapter & Torque Pro Software | Bull Ring Tie Downs | X-Pel Clear Film (Door Sill & Rear Lower Box) | Husky X-act Contour Front & Back Floor Mats | Z71/All-Terrain Transfer Case Skid Plate | SuperSkidz Front Skid Plate | Rocker Pinch Welds Blacked Out | Debadged | Blizzacks (For Winter)
How to Search vBulletin.org effectively
CrashFix is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 09:36 AM
ADMIN

 
Blue15ColoradoLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sayreville, NJ
Posts: 2,379
Garage
How to Search vBulletin.org effectively - vBulletin.org Forum
CrashFix likes this.

2015 Laser Blue Colorado LT
CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
LED light bar - 32"
HID headlights
LED fog lights
LED high beams
LED reverse lights
LED license plate lights
LED visor lights
LED dome lights
LED switchback front turn signal lights
LED cargo light turn signal conversion
LED bed lights
LED tail lights
LED sidemarkers
Canyon swapped tail lights
Red painted calipers
Supermod ported throttle body
Silver metallic rally stripes
Super Skidz skid plate
Volant CAI

Have a Colorado but want Canyon tail lights? Or vice versa CLICK HERE

***NOTE***
SITE RULES

Blue15ColoradoLT is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
 
Arctic Cat ZRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Palm PA
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue15ColoradoLT View Post
You the real MVP...


2015 Colorado Red Rock Metallic CC Long Bed Z71 4x4
-Mods So Far: Rally Armor UR Plus Flaps, Yellow Tinted Fog Lights, Access Vanish Cover, Linex, EGR Matte Black Wind Deflectors, P3 Brake Controller, MBRP Stainless Steel Cat-Back, Anzo LED Tail-lights, Uniden Bearcat 880 CB w/3' Firestik, Falken ATw3 Wildpeak 265/65R17 tires

Self Diagnosed RC Car/Truck Addict

Site Rules
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 12:22 PM
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: a
Posts: 298
Garage
Nice Team Work :)

~ Glenda
admin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome