Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

New member, Crew Cab + Infant seat question

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  CouchFisher 
#1 ·
Hello there, I am looking to purchase a new truck in December. I am hoping that there will be some of the twins available by then. My question is for those who have rear facing infant car seats. My particular model is made by Britax (if that helps). My son is 5 months old now and by the time I get around to buying the truck, he will probably be in an upright car seat BUT we are planning to have another next year and I want to make sure the infant seat will fit. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does your infant seat fit and still allow the passenger to be comfortable? I know I really need to just take the seat to a dealership and try it out and I will eventually. I had been planning on buying a full size this year but the mid size GM trucks may be just right... if the car seat fits:) Thanks in advance!

Mike

#2 ·
Rear facing may be tough. My 2.5 year old is in a front facing with no problems. I had her in the center, but recently moved her to the passenger side. The shape of the seat, vs the center position allows her to be back a little further.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply! The fact that the seat sits back a little further vs. center may be good enough. I need to be able to have it work with the passenger seat not pushed ALL the way up. As long as a passenger can fit in the front seat, I will be ok with at. I fear that I am going to be forced into a full size though...

#4 ·
My kids were in rear facing child seats when my 2004 was in its early years, and I don't recall having any issues with it. When I first got it we had one rear facing seat in the middle for a little while. About a year later we had #2, in a rear facing behind mom in the passenger seat. It was a tight fit, but the passenger seat wasn't close to all the way forward. With the new model being larger than the 1st gen, I can't imagine it would be a problem. Having a third is where I'd see a big advantage to going full size, due to the extra width.

#5 ·
This would be great information to have from someone who has already went down this road. I'm planning on buying a truck I'm the next few months and having a baby hopefully shortly after that. I'll have to keep am eye on the thread to see if there are more replies.

#6 ·
I have a 3 year old son in a front facing Britax seat and an 8-month old daughter in a rear facing Chicco infant seat with base. We are about 4 months away from having to move my son into a backed booster and give the Britax to my daughter (rear facing). I imagine it will be a little bit tighter, but not unmanigable.

#8 ·
I found the graco infant carrier I have to only fit in the middle of the back seat. The side seats it would not fit without causing the front driver/passenger extreme discomfort by having to push their seat almost all the way forward.

#9 ·
I have a new one with my 4yr olds forward facing toddler seat, have that posted behind the passenger seat. (Plus get access to the bigger underside of the seat)
I did test fit it in the center of the new truck and didn't care for it there, but would fit 2seats side by side back there if need be. Though one would need to examine build style off the seats in question. I know some are much wider than need to be. mostly because of the cup holders, and side impact designs.

#10 ·
I went to a local dealership today with my son and his car seat. The dealer had 27 Colorados on the lot. I was able to fit the car seat in the crew cab. It is a tight fit and the passenger seat was moved up a bit but I was still reasonably comfortable in it. That seals it, the Colorado/canyon remains at the top of the list for when I am ready to by at the end of the year.

#11 · (Edited)
I have two seats and a booster seat in the back of mine.

Formerly known as "Sunshine" brand they are now branded as "Diono" brand. They tend to be a little more narrow. The booster is a graco.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.