Bicycle carrier - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaCanyon View Post

You can do it but if you need more room for other stuff. It's better to have it standing up. If you get the SB, you'd have to open the tailgate to do this. Also nice to showoff your bike when it's standing up
that's how I would transport one if I had a bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 03:34 PM

My high $$ bike rack. Think I have a total of $18 in PVC and pipe cement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1783.jpg (144.6 KB, 191 views)
Kokiri, wildwest450 and Vinolush like this.

Brownstone Colorado CC SB Z71 4WD with trailering, spray in liner, splash guards, and tie down rings. Added Homelink, LED interior lights, Rocky Road Super Sliders, Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite, and Blue Ox base plate.
post #43 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 03:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
My high $$ bike rack. Think I have a total of $18 in PVC and pipe cement.
I'd like to get away with something like this but I sometimes need to fill my bed, and I want the tonneau cover to protect the contents. And I may be trailering a boat at the time so, the hitch rack isn't practical.

CouchFisher
2015 Chevy Colorado Z71 4X4 Off-Road
Crew Cab with a Short Bed & Factory sprayed-on liner
Westin 3" E Series Round Nerf Bars - Black
K&N Air Filter 33-5030
Ecoological Gap Shield
Pop & Lock PL8140
BAK Industries RevolverX2

post #44 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 08:51 PM

they also have bike racks that will mount on the receiver hitch extension between the truck and the trailer.

2015 GMC Canyon SLT CC LB 4WD Cyber Grey
US Army Retired
post #45 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 09:07 PM

I thought about getting the sliding tracks for bedrail mounting initially. But I already had my 51 inch load bars/mounts/rack from a previous car and didn't want to replace all of it. So I decided to go with a Thule 3114 kit and direct mount it to my bed cover. The nice thing is I can take the brackets/bars off at the end of the season and use the bracket covers included with the Thule kit to cover the mounts. I originally saw it on ORS direct's website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160424_143235.jpg (472.1 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160424_143239.jpg (613.2 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-chevy-silverado-aluminum-tonneau-cover-rack-crossbars-731-3.jpg (100.5 KB, 126 views)
GottaCanyon and OutlawBeard like this.

2015 Canyon SLT Shortbox, Crew Cab, 4WD, Cyber Gray
DONE: Iron Cross HD steps - Diamondback Cover - 35% tint - OEM Splashguards - Husky Liners - Bedrug Mat -Bully Mesh Exhaust Tip- Stubby Jr - AVS BugflectorII - Eibach front struts set to 2" level - DDM HID 55k - Eagle Eyes LED Taillights - LED Interior & Fog lights
TO DO LIST: Line-X - Trifecta Tune
post #46 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 10:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaCanyon View Post
That's exactly what I have, 2 Thule sidearms. Just saw that you have a SB, how many inches farther does the sidearms sick out for it to clear the tailgate. I bought the longbed for this reason, hope I'll be fine.
They stick out about 5 inches, but after bikes are removed at destination I slide them forward so the tailgate can close. Your long box should be fine.
GottaCanyon likes this.

8/14/2015 Ordered 2016 Canyon diesel CCSB, SLT, Copper/Red, black interior, Bose, spray in liner, transfer case shield, bars package and block heater.
Built 1/20/2016
Dealer received 2/3/2016
I received 2/5/2016
post #47 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 08:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by apwoodr View Post
I thought about getting the sliding tracks for bedrail mounting initially. But I already had my 51 inch load bars/mounts/rack from a previous car and didn't want to replace all of it. So I decided to go with a Thule 3114 kit and direct mount it to my bed cover. The nice thing is I can take the brackets/bars off at the end of the season and use the bracket covers included with the Thule kit to cover the mounts. I originally saw it on ORS direct's website.
If I had that brand hard tonneau cover, I would go the same exact route. I like it.

2016 GMC Canyon Crew LB All-Terrain

post #48 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 09:09 AM

[QUOTE=Moonshine;3532858]My high $$ bike rack. Think I have a total of $18 in PVC and pipe cement.[/QUOTE

I like this
post #49 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 03:36 PM

Bicycle carrier

I installed my big mouth rack today. I mounted them to the back cross rail T channel and to the front bed divider T channel.

duff645 likes this.

Last edited by ENYPDE; 05-19-2016 at 07:04 PM.
post #50 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 10:00 AM

Garage
Use this on the daily. It's from one of the hanging racks and I use 1 Thule T2 bike carrier = also works as a rear bumper guard. I just like keeping everything on the bed covered since i carry lots of bike gear and tool box back there.

or use my Thule T2 2 bike rack holder

Also have the Race Face tailgate pad if I really want to carry more bikes.

blurryace and Dmax16 like this.

post #51 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 10:39 AM

4 bikes and a short bed

Here's my new set up, wanted to haul 4 bikes plus travel stuff (camping gear, luggage, etc.) Base rack is from Marquette Mounts (marquettemounts.com) and those are Yakima Frontloader bike racks. The Marquette Mounts rack has gone on an 1,100 mile trip with no issues. The whole set up including bikes is about to go on a 2,500 mile road trip with hopefully lots of bikes stops along the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5008.jpg (177.7 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5011.jpg (196.0 KB, 107 views)
post #52 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattericksen View Post
Here's my new set up, wanted to haul 4 bikes plus travel stuff (camping gear, luggage, etc.) Base rack is from Marquette Mounts (marquettemounts.com) and those are Yakima Frontloader bike racks. The Marquette Mounts rack has gone on an 1,100 mile trip with no issues. The whole set up including bikes is about to go on a 2,500 mile road trip with hopefully lots of bikes stops along the way.
I like that setup!
mattericksen likes this.

2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4LT CCSB in Laser Blue

post #53 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 11:44 AM

Garage
truck looks great but forget the truck, LOVE them bikes
mattericksen likes this.

PIAA 1702 Low Beam
30in Cree LED Light Bar - Single Row
Rough Country 30" LED Hidden Bumper Mounts
Innovative Creations LED Light Bar locking kit
Thule Bed Rider 822XTR bicycle rack
K&N Blackhawk Induction Air Intake System
SpinTech Cat-back Exhaust
VMAX Motorsports CNC ported throttle body
Pro Clip iPhone 6 custom mount
Kicker Hideaway
Fox 2.5 Factory Series Reservoir - DSC Adjuster
Fox 2.5 Factory Series Coil-Over Reservoir - DSC
ROCKSTAR Matte Black/Nitto Terra Grappler
post #54 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 01:03 PM

If i am correct you can put the gear on bars and put a bike mount to those and keep the cover on just folded open

post #55 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 01:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
That does look pretty nice. What cover are you using? Looks like they work well together...

2016 COLORADO LT 4X4 CCSB (Build Thread)
DURAMAXDIESEL MIDNIGHT EDITION
post #56 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 02:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Very nice setup! How's your gas mileage with those bikes up there? I've always had the worst gas mileage when mounting bikes on my roof on my previous cars, lots of wind noise, and it's a PITA cleaning off all that bug splatter baked on the bikes after a long drive. I also like to bring my bike to work and the 1st 3 levels of our indoor garage has pipes hanging low, about 1 ft distance from my roof. Here she is sitting pretty in the back, of course she goes inside the office where it's nice and cool

post #57 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 03:19 PM

I posted a page or two back, but a simple 2x6 and the bike mounts I'm using and finally got around to setting this up...works great! I mounted the brackets so that the back tires of each bike would sit against the back of my bed so no movement. The 2x6 gave me enough room to mount my road bike and mountain bike

mattericksen and GottaCanyon like this.

Last edited by bac522; 07-21-2016 at 07:30 AM.
post #58 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 07:10 AM

I'd kill for a Fastkap on my Canyon. A proper sealed camper to protect my $10K MTB and gear (I take it to work with me and ride afterwards) and have a topper that I could slide out of the way when I'm hauling furniture or whatever.

The guy that makes these has said that if he had enough requests for our trucks, he'd build them. So please contact him people!

Fastkap Truck Canopies

Current: 2009 Canyon CC I5. 170K miles. Best vehicle I've ever owned.
Eagerly awaiting 2018 Canyon Denali Diesel 4x4 CCLB
post #59 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
I posted a page or two back, but a simple 2x6 and the bike mounts I'm using and finally got around to setting this up...works great! I mounted the brackets so that the back tires of each bike would sit against the back of my bed so no movement. The 2x6 gave me enough room to mount my road bike and mountain bike

I like this idea a lot. I have the Thule Insta-gator seen below which I love. It's quick and easy, but once I get my Softopper, it will not quite clear the height of the bike. Your solution looks perfect for that scenario. Did you just cut the 2x6 to be the exact width of the truck bed so it doesn't shift, or is it actually fastened in some way?

post #60 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 09:56 AM

I'll let you know about MPG after the first long trip with them. I don't expect it to be great, lol. And yes, the bug splatter should be fun but it's all in the name of toting the toys around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode