Bicycle carrier - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Bicycle carrier

When I get my Canyon I'd like to get a tonneau cover for it. I'd like a hard tonneau that is easy to remove. I'd also like to get some kind of bicycle carrier. I don't want a hitch mounted carrier because I want to keep the hitch available if I need it to tow my camper when I go camping. Do they make a bicycle carrier that can be mounted on top of a tonneau cover?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 12:53 AM

Mount a hitch on the back of the camper for the bicycles. Now you can put them there if the camper is attached to the truck or put them on the back of the truck without the camper.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9cv View Post
Mount a hitch on the back of the camper for the bicycles. Now you can put them there if the camper is attached to the truck or put them on the back of the truck without the camper.

Yup, my uncle does this. It works great.

It's probably easier than you think to add a receiver to your camper.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 GMC Canyon, 3.7 I5, Off Road 4x4, Inferno Orange.

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 10:22 AM

This is the set-up I have. I simply move the bicycle rack from the back of the Colorado to the back of the travel trailer or vice versa. The 2" receiver makes it very easy to attach accessories.

***WARNING***

Most travel trailer bumpers are very flimsy and only welded in a couple of spots. If you intend to carry more than a couple of bikes such as a platform with a generator and jerry cans of gas, or a motor bike, etc. have a welding shop reinforce it or install a frame mounted class III hitch. Also, be mindful of the fact you are changing the front to back weight ratio of your trailer and may have to re-arrange a few things inside to maintain proper tongue weight and prevent sway. However, a couple of bikes do not change much of anything.

Last edited by impact; 05-09-2015 at 10:27 AM.
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 12:14 AM
Jnz

Garage
How about this?

http://coloradofans.com/forums/169-a...e-tonneau.html

2015 Canyon SLT CC SB, Cyber Gray, Bose, Nav., Driver Alert, Line-X Spray-on liner, 3" Assist Steps, GM Splash Guards, LED Interior and Bed Lights, Retrx Pro MX Tonneau Cover
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 12:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasimar1 View Post
Do they make a bicycle carrier that can be mounted on top of a tonneau cover?
Tons.....hit the google search and you will find tonneau manufacturers that have bike add ons.

Like so:
GMC Sierra Truck Bed Rails / Tonneau Cover Bike Rack using Yakima 60" Tracks, Control Towers & Sprocket Rocket

or my favorite (since i just got a softopper)

Side Mount Bedrail Bike Rack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg side-mount-bedrail-bike-rack_01.jpg (163.1 KB, 259 views)
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your replies. I don't think the hitch mounted to my camper bumper would work. I have a 2005 Rockwood Premier pop-up camper and the bumper isn't really meant for something like that. I think I'm going to look for a tonneau that allows for a bicycle rack to be mounted on top.
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 02:25 AM

I frequently see bicycles mounted on a receiver type hitch the back of pop-ups going down the road.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 04:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to 100MPG Send a message via MSN to 100MPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasimar1 View Post
I think I'm going to look for a tonneau that allows for a bicycle rack to be mounted on top.
I don't think you will find a hard cover to allows a bike rack to be mounted. If you are talking soft cover, just mount the rack in the bed and take less stuff camping!
Quote:
Originally Posted by n9cv View Post
I frequently see bicycles mounted on a receiver type hitch the back of pop-ups going down the road.
I have also but one drawback is they are so far back and out of your sight, you can only hope they are still there when you get you your destination. I have seen them mounted on top of a pop up also, I am not sure is that is OEM or the owner fabricated it themselves.
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 05:23 AM

The best one I saw was a pickup towing a pop-up which had a receiver and the pop-up was towing a boat.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100MPG View Post
I don't think you will find a hard cover to allows a bike rack to be mounted. If you are talking soft cover, just mount the rack in the bed and take less stuff camping!

Well that's a bummer. I kind of had my heart set on a hard cover. I may have to rethink that. I don't need a cover the day I take delivery of my truck so I got some time to think about it.

Are the covers shown here hard of soft? It looks like they are lockable which is the main reason why I wanted a hard cover.

Truck Covers USA - Gallery
post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 11:31 PM
Jnz

Garage
Yes, take a look at the thread I posted earlier. There is a hard cover retractable tonneau that you can get with the Yakima rails - pretty sure it's the Truck Covers USA one. I went with a different cover and am going to try to mount the Yakima landing pads to the bed rails.

2015 Canyon SLT CC SB, Cyber Gray, Bose, Nav., Driver Alert, Line-X Spray-on liner, 3" Assist Steps, GM Splash Guards, LED Interior and Bed Lights, Retrx Pro MX Tonneau Cover
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 09:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnz View Post
Yes, take a look at the thread I posted earlier. There is a hard cover retractable tonneau that you can get with the Yakima rails - pretty sure it's the Truck Covers USA one. I went with a different cover and am going to try to mount the Yakima landing pads to the bed rails.
I'm doing the same thing. I ordered a RevolverX2 from Bak. Once that is here and installed, I'm getting the 42" Yakima tracks to fit on the caps.

Basically just like this but with the RevolverX2: http://www.orsracksdirect.com/2012-f...ike-racks.html

CouchFisher
2015 Chevy Colorado Z71 4X4 Off-Road
Crew Cab with a Short Bed & Factory sprayed-on liner
Westin 3" E Series Round Nerf Bars - Black
K&N Air Filter 33-5030
Ecoological Gap Shield
Pop & Lock PL8140
BAK Industries RevolverX2

Last edited by CouchFisher; 05-13-2015 at 09:26 PM.
post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 08:32 AM

Garage
Here is another picture with the same type of install approach:
kasimar1, fatsug and Chartrand like this.

CouchFisher
K&N Air Filter 33-5030
Ecoological Gap Shield
Pop & Lock PL8140
post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 10:11 PM
Jnz

Garage
Exactly what I'm looking for. The only problem I see with your setup is you won't be able to open the Revolver with the cross bars on. Probably not a big deal though.

post #16 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 03:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnz View Post
Exactly what I'm looking for. The only problem I see with your setup is you won't be able to open the Revolver with the cross bars on. Probably not a big deal though.
Yeah, that has been a consideration. I'm wondering if I'll be able to get under the first crossbar before the cover "snowballs" and gets too wide? Or if I can fold it, rather than roll it so it pulls underneath both crossbars?

Either way, it would probably take about the same amount of time to make my bed accessible. I'm either trying to maneuver the cover or I'm unlocking and lifting rails.

This configuration will give me the best flexibility and most concurrent functionality without hauling a trailer.

The cover is supposed to ship early June. Once I have it installed, I'm going to order the tracks, landing pads, control towers, crossbars, and install those.

I'll post pics.

CouchFisher
K&N Air Filter 33-5030
Ecoological Gap Shield
Pop & Lock PL8140

Last edited by CouchFisher; 05-15-2015 at 06:57 AM.
post #17 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 09:11 PM
Jnz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchFisher View Post
Yeah, that has been a consideration. I'm wondering if I'll be able to get under the first crossbar before the cover "snowballs" and gets too wide? Or if I can fold it, rather than roll it so it pulls underneath both crossbars?

Either way, it would probably take about the same amount of time to make my bed accessible. I'm either trying to maneuver the cover or I'm unlocking and lifting rails.

This configuration will give me the best flexibility and most concurrent functionality without hauling a trailer.

The cover is supposed to ship early June. Once I have it installed, I'm going to order the tracks, landing pads, control towers, crossbars, and install those.

I'll post pics.
I think you're right - depending on where the first bar is, you have a good shot at either getting the cover under it or folding / pulling it. And, really, that would probably get you enough access to the bed for most of what you will need when you're carrying the racks.

I have the Retrax retractable cover already, so it won't be an issue for me (of course, the Retrax takes up bed space, so that's the tradeoff). Looking forward to seeing the pics! Good luck with it.
CouchFisher likes this.

post #18 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 08:58 PM

Attached is a shot of a Truck Covers USA retractable (selected partly for the small canister) on a short bed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AQ_BikeRack.jpg (304.2 KB, 176 views)
kasimar1 likes this.

Canyon 4WD SLT Crew Cab, Short Bed, Cyber out, Jet Black In, Bose and Nav, Alert Package, Towing Package

11-20-2014 Ordered (San Jose, dealer with allocation): 11-22-2014 1100:12-02-2014 2000: 12-02-2014 3000 Got Build Sheet from GMC Chat: 12-19-2014 3300: 01-15-2015 3400 No TPW: 01-21-2015 4000 Got VIN: 01-23-2015 4200 In transit. ETA in CA 2/2:01-29-2015 4200 Seen in Elko Nevada, VDC 1/31: 02-07-2015 Picked up at dealer!
post #19 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoe5442 View Post
Attached is a shot of a Truck Covers USA retractable (selected partly for the small canister) on a short bed.
I like the looks of this one. Is it lockable?

2015 Canyon SLE, All-Terrain, 4X4 V6, CC, LB, Cyber Gray / Jet black
Ordered 4/30/15 Picked up 7/3/15
WeatherTech mud flaps
Line-X spray in bed liner
Westin Pro Traxx 4 Oval Nerf Bars
G4 Elite Fold-a-Cover
OPT7 Redline LED Tailgate Light Bar with Reverse
XKGLOW Truck Bed Light Kit
GM all weather floor liners
post #20 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 12:02 AM

Yes, it is lockable. Referencing the attached photo, the key lock is in the center. There is a pull ring (visible in photo) which overrides the lock, allowing the cover to be retracted without using the key. The cover operates sort of like a spring loaded window shade. When closing the cover from retracted position, there are stops every foot, allowing the cover to "lock" in a partially open position. The cover is very rugged. They claim that you can walk on it (although I have not tried that). I had all four drains installed (I park in either direction on a sloped driveway). Two of them are visible in the photo. Selection criteria included: Option for integrated rails (major), low profile and small canister (visible in photo). Not cheap (But then neither was the truck), but worth it for my use. I got LineX AND a BedRug mat, so it is like having an over-sized locking car trunk (The theory was that I would replace the Passat and the S10 with the Canyon... you can see how well that is working from the photo). The setup would be even better if the truck had an electronically controlled lock on the tailgate (Maybe someone will come up with an after-market solution).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0988.jpg (253.4 KB, 156 views)

Canyon 4WD SLT Crew Cab, Short Bed, Cyber out, Jet Black In, Bose and Nav, Alert Package, Towing Package

11-20-2014 Ordered (San Jose, dealer with allocation): 11-22-2014 1100:12-02-2014 2000: 12-02-2014 3000 Got Build Sheet from GMC Chat: 12-19-2014 3300: 01-15-2015 3400 No TPW: 01-21-2015 4000 Got VIN: 01-23-2015 4200 In transit. ETA in CA 2/2:01-29-2015 4200 Seen in Elko Nevada, VDC 1/31: 02-07-2015 Picked up at dealer!

Last edited by Shoe5442; 05-18-2015 at 12:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode