Tonneau cover and ladder / utility racks together? - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 06:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrebourne View Post
Hey, deviouSS, what would you recommend for a thickness of aluminum tubing for the bed rack? I sourced some at .125 wall thickness, but I'm concerned that there won't be enough material there to prevent ripping out the threads if I drill and tap some holes to mount it in the bed rack pockets. Same goes for putting in some eye bolts at various locations for tie down points. Think I should go with thicker stock? Weld a nut on the backside (at least for the bed pocket holes)?, or run it as is and just don't torque it down too much?

Thanks. Attached is a quick CAD I did up for the design (look familiar?). Don't trust those dimensions, I picked those out of thin air without actually measuring anything yet.
.125 aluminum is too thin to tap. It will only result in 1-2 threads for 1/4" or 5/16 bolts. Nutserts would be the easiest route.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 11:03 AM
jsf

I bought the bakfilp cs pro cover and rack.The rack has about 2" sway and a little unsettling.I got 1/8" cable and turnbuckles,and made cross braces and it took the sway out. I carry 3 kayaks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1216151252a.jpg (271.1 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg 1216151252.jpg (316.3 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 1216151251.jpg (242.7 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 1213151315b.jpg (329.4 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 1213151315a.jpg (290.8 KB, 88 views)
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 03:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImHooked View Post
DieselCJ, I too am looking for this same solution and have researched a lot and have pretty much come up empty. Let us know if have received your truck and tried this out yet.
I have a Canyon SB. Your saying the Silverado SB cut down 6" should work, right?
I would suggest chatting with Morrie at the noted web address. He indicated that he has sold several trac rack systems with the cut down rails. He has a combination of parts of the midsize and the Silverado short bed rails that get cut down. As I recall it was a 6" chop for the twins long bed. My understanding is that it uses the factory hold down in the rear (Silverado the same as Colorado) and then after you cut down the rail you drill it to use the expansion fastener in the front.
So far I have installed a RevolverX2 and not done anything on the racks as yet. Vacillating between custom racks and the Trac Rac. Trac Rac looks a bit bulky on the rails but does provide flexibility and ease of removing when not needed. If I go this route I think I'll add the lock so one can't simply slide the uprights off and steal them. I'm not a contractor so most of the time I don't need racks but want the availability when I do. CJ

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 12:29 PM

Garage
I have been looking as well. Like the Adarac ( ADARAC Truck Bed Rack System | Pickup Truck Racks ), wrote to Customer Support for Canyon Model, reply stated that they were not planning to build for compact trucks?!

My B-in-Law has the Bak Flip Tonneau/Rack combo for his Dodge Ram, as earlier post stated - not that rigid.

I've subscribed to this Thread to see what comes up. Have a Gator FX Tri-Fold Tonneau.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 04:18 PM

FYI for anyone still interested, I called TracRac and they just started shipping base rails for the longbed twins now.
Part no. 21783.
Also recommended racks and cantilever are the full size ones.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 07:45 PM

Trac Rac w/Pace Edwards Jack Rabbit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3044.jpg (212.0 KB, 137 views)
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 09:29 PM

I had the Access Lorado cover for about a year before I realized I was on the market for a rack. I couldn't stomach the $900 for a new Revolver on top of the new TracRac so sticking with the Lorado for now. At least until the first time it freezes to my tailgate again this winter and I just cut through it.... Anyway, the Lorado with work with the TracRac with some minor hassle. To roll the cover, just work one end around the rear upright (inner track) on one side then the other. You could always mount both uprights on the outer rail too for less hassle. If having trouble getting the cover material to slide under the rail, I used a small squeegee I had laying around to finish it off. A fresh application of 303 took care of any stickiness after the initial trial.

I just installed this weekend so not much time with it, but I strapped my Old Town Predator 13 into the saddles and then threw the tandem Twin Heron next to it to check for fit. Room for both, probably run with the foam blocks on the tandem.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 09:39 PM

I had the Access Lorado cover for about a year before I realized I was on the market for a rack. I couldn't stomach the $900 for a new Revolver on top of the new TracRac so sticking with the Lorado for now. At least until the first time it freezes to my tailgate again this winter and I just cut through it.... Anyway, the Lorado will work with the TracRac with some minor hassle. To roll the cover, just work one end around the rear upright (inner track) on one side then the other. You could always mount both uprights on the outer rail too for less hassle. If having trouble getting the cover material to slide under the rail, I used a small squeegee I had laying around to finish it off. A fresh application of 303 took care of any stickiness after the initial trial.

I just installed this weekend so not much time with it, but I strapped my Old Town Predator 13 into the saddles and then threw the tandem Twin Heron next to it to check for fit. Room for both, probably run with the foam blocks on the tandem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160612_200741749_HDR.jpg (166.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160612_200756686_HDR.jpg (226.3 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by FFDPFan; 06-12-2016 at 09:41 PM. Reason: poor proof reading
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 01:42 PM

Garage
I just installed this weekend so not much time with it, but I strapped my Old Town Predator 13 into the saddles and then threw the tandem Twin Heron next to it to check for fit. Room for both, probably run with the foam blocks on the tandem. [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Where did you source the kayak saddles?
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 10:14 PM

I used Malone saddles, from either RackWarehouse or ORSRacksDirect. They both market saddles under the TracRac brand, p/n 44300, already has the proper hardware. Or just find the standard Malone saddles from anywhere and add Malone hw kit MPG1498. I am not sure if any of the other brands sell ready to mount without tracking down your own hw to adapt.

I also padded the bars with a large pool noodle wrapped with a cheap floor matt. Easier on the kayak, and helps hold it in place better when standing on end for loading. It does look better than it sounds if you do it carefully :) Ended up adding the folding j-rack for my 2nd rack. It is quite a reach to load a tandem solo (you would think with a tandem that there would be 2 people to load?????) - I'll probably eventually just end up padding the crossbar on that end and strapping without a rack. I just can't do that with my fishing kayak due to the geometry and all the add-ons.
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselCJ View Post
I spoke with Morrie at "tonneaufactoryoutlet" and he indicated that the work around for the tracrac on the 2nd gen is to order the base rails for the Silverado short box and cut them down 6" inches. There is also a new bolt on fitting for the back stake pocket so it does not rely on the expansion blocks. I've decided to go with this option and a Revolver X2 when my truck gets delivered in March. CJ
Did you ever install these?

2016 Colorado, Z71, Crew Cab, SB, Summit White

Removed: Running Boards, Air Dam, Colorado Badging

Added: Readylift 2" Leveling Kit, Nitto Ridge Grapplers 267/70/17, MBRP Cat Back, Diablo i2, Tint 20% Front Windows and Brow, Plastidip Bow Ties, Front Bumper and Side Stripes

Next Mods: OEM Performance Air Intake Part #23342235
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode