Tonneau cover and ladder / utility racks together? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Tonneau cover and ladder / utility racks together?

Hi everyone,
Can anyone inform me about options to have both a tonneau cover and a ladder / utility rack on the new Colorado?

I just purchased a 2015 Colorado Z71 4x4, crew cab, long bed. I'm coming off a 2003 S10 ZR2 with a fiberglass bed cap that I had mounted a Thule rack on top to carry kayaks. I ordered the GearOn Utility Rack with the new Colorado, planning to mount kayak carriers on there.

After driving the truck around for a few days, I realize that I would like to have a tonneau cover over the bed to cover up things that I put in there, but I still want ladder / utility racks too. Looking at the GearOn Rack, and the way the bases for the uppers wrap around to the inside of the bed rails, I don't think it will work with a tonneau cover. Are there racks that don't interfere with the mounting locations for a tonneau cover?

Thanks for any advice!
Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 11:52 PM

I have a bakflip fibermax with a Pro rac system on my 2015 Colorado. Its kind of dark right now but could take a picture tomorrow if that would help. The bakflip is from bak industries and the rack from Pro rac ProRac Systems Inc. Manufacturer of Rack Systems for the Automotive, Truck and RV Markets
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
I have a bakflip fibermax with a Pro rac system on my 2015 Colorado. Its kind of dark right now but could take a picture tomorrow if that would help. The bakflip is from bak industries and the rack from Pro rac ProRac Systems Inc. Manufacturer of Rack Systems for the Automotive, Truck and RV Markets

I'd like to see pics if you get a chance, don't have the truck yet but will probably make a deal soon.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 11:03 PM

If you can find a welder who fabricates pipe racks he can probably make you a set for around $700 out of aluminum or less. Took me about 2 days to make mine and I'd probably charge about $700 to make it out of aluminum. Would probably take a professional about a day or less.

I just installed my revolver x2 tonneau cover and using just the stake holes everything fits perfectly.
Bak has the bak flip with racks but I wasn't impressed with the looks so I crossed that off my list and made my own.

[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150620_112338_1434855703332.jpg (108.3 KB, 352 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150620_112404_1434855731487.jpg (79.4 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150620_112621_1434855755831.jpg (106.9 KB, 359 views)

Last edited by deviouSS; 06-20-2015 at 11:13 PM.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 12:39 AM

Check out the Diamond Back SE or HD Aluminum tonneaus. I have ordered one for my 2015 SLE.If you are planning on carry on top of the tonneau you have a coated option (Linex).hope this helps.Ladder racks and other racks are also available.
Don Breda likes this.

Last edited by 4wheelguy; 06-21-2015 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Spelling error.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Wow deviouSS, those look awesome! I definitely don't have the knowledge or skill to build something like that on my own. I just heard from TracRac that they have created a fitment for the 2014+ Silverado / Sierra, which has the same weird back stake pocket hole as the 2015+ Colorado / Canyon. They said they will release it to the public in the next comple of weeks. I'm hoping this means that they will be releasing the TracRac SR for the twins sometime soon too. If not and I really want to add racks, I'll probably customize some Silverado rails with some compact uppers for it.

I just ordered a BAK Revolver X2 from Morrie at https://www.tonneaufactoryoutlet.com/ for $789 shipped. Good price? I hope so. How do you like yours so far?
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 10:23 AM

Garage
I hope to have my RevolverX2 cover installed today. There have been some pre-order bugs that I've been dealing with since last week. Shims arrived via FedEx (love the text alerts) so, I should be able to install as soon as I get home.

I'm planning on installing Yakima track within the parallel grooves along the bed caps. The X2 has a very small footprint, I just need to determine if the landing pads are narrow enough. However, if possible I'd like to still make use of the stake pockets for something like what deviouSS built.

CouchFisher
2015 Chevy Colorado Z71 4X4 Off-Road
Crew Cab with a Short Bed & Factory sprayed-on liner
Westin 3" E Series Round Nerf Bars - Black
K&N Air Filter 33-5030
Ecoological Gap Shield
Pop & Lock PL8140
BAK Industries RevolverX2
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Hi CouchFisher, I did see your post about the issues that you had with the Revolver X2. Morrie at https://www.tonneaufactoryoutlet.com/ says that he works closely with the guys at BAK, and that they are aware of the issue and have now addressed it. I think it was that shims were supposed to be pre-installed on the rails, or something like that? I also saw that there were issues of damage in shipping, which I will look for.

On the Yakima tracks - how do you plan on installing them to the bed rail caps? Do you plan on drilling through the rails? I had installed the Thule equivalent on my Leer fiberglass truck cap on my 2003 S-10 to carry my kayak, and it worked well. However, now I'd need a much taller carrier to get the kayak elevated above the cab roof, and I don't think simple tracks would be sturdy enough.

I'm hoping to eventually fit a TracRac SR to the rails. It would be nice if TracRac (Thule) would get off their asses and design one for it!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 12:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Breda View Post
Hi CouchFisher, I did see your post about the issues that you had with the Revolver X2.
Yep. I'm one who had rails damaged in shipping and missing spacers. Replacements have arrived, I just need to install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Breda View Post
On the Yakima tracks - how do you plan on installing them to the bed rail caps? Do you plan on drilling through the rails?
Yeah, I don't see any other way. Since caps are replaceable, if I ever wanted to take them off to remove any imperfections and put new caps on, I could.

I plan on using this primarily for bicycles, but on a rare occasion with kayaks or a paddle board. To your concerns about stability, I was thinking that I'll have to use a bed extender to support the opposite end. Ideally I'd like to have the stanchions for the paddle board or kayak.

I feel your pain about Yakima and Thule not providing other racks. I wonder if there was an agreement to delay aftermarket options with GM, thus giving their GearOn system a chance?

CouchFisher
K&N Air Filter 33-5030
Ecoological Gap Shield
Pop & Lock PL8140
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 12:36 PM

deviouSS, That's exactly what I've been considering building myself. Would you mind sharing what you did inside the stake pockets? Is there any form of positive retention, or does it just 'sit' inside, resting on the shoulder on top of the bed? The welds look MIG'd, is it mild steel?
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 04:43 PM

Like the OP said the revolver x2 was just missing the shims so I used composite shims temporary until I get the correct shims.

As for my rack, it's all the way down the stake pocket and touching the mount about 6 inches below the bedrail. I butted that and drilled and tapped so I can secure it through the inside. With that and the gussets it doesn't move at all and is secure.
especially the back pockets. 3"×1.5" rectangular tubing fits snug. The front I used 2.5"x1.5". It's all mig welded and mild steel since I do not have an aluminum spool gun or Tig welder. Making an aluminum rack will be my next project sometime down the road but that would require a spool gun, argon tank, and aluminum tubing so I'll just run these til I get bored...lol
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 06:05 PM

Garage
Check similar thread relating to RevolverX2: bak roll-x cover-2015 GMC CANYON SHORT BOX

CouchFisher
K&N Air Filter 33-5030
Ecoological Gap Shield
Pop & Lock PL8140
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 09:12 AM

Hey, deviouSS, what would you recommend for a thickness of aluminum tubing for the bed rack? I sourced some at .125 wall thickness, but I'm concerned that there won't be enough material there to prevent ripping out the threads if I drill and tap some holes to mount it in the bed rack pockets. Same goes for putting in some eye bolts at various locations for tie down points. Think I should go with thicker stock? Weld a nut on the backside (at least for the bed pocket holes)?, or run it as is and just don't torque it down too much?

Thanks. Attached is a quick CAD I did up for the design (look familiar?). Don't trust those dimensions, I picked those out of thin air without actually measuring anything yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bed rack.jpg (119.1 KB, 105 views)
Potato Boy likes this.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrebourne View Post
Hey, deviouSS, what would you recommend for a thickness of aluminum tubing for the bed rack? I sourced some at .125 wall thickness, but I'm concerned that there won't be enough material there to prevent ripping out the threads if I drill and tap some holes to mount it in the bed rack pockets. Same goes for putting in some eye bolts at various locations for tie down points. Think I should go with thicker stock? Weld a nut on the backside (at least for the bed pocket holes)?, or run it as is and just don't torque it down too much?

Thanks. Attached is a quick CAD I did up for the design (look familiar?). Don't trust those dimensions, I picked those out of thin air without actually measuring anything yet.
Looks good! 👍.120 wall should be strong enough. If anything u may have to drill out a hole big enough to weld in a nut in place. Aluminum would be too easy to strip the threads. If you got the time you should make a cut list, jig, and start to make these on the side and sell them! Lol.
Don Breda likes this.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 04:30 PM

Garage
Let's all contact TracRac for a 2nd gen product

I too would like a cover and rack combination. Ideally the rack would be easily removed and reinstalled when needed. I've spent far too much time researching the offerings and have come up empty. The only product I've found is the BAK combo but the rack seems too flimsy and has gotten some negative reviews. Deviouss rack's are the best thing I've seen so far but he seems to be "back ordered" :)

For a commercial product the TracRac SL seems to be the best product but it is not available for our trucks. Maybe if we could all contact them they would be motivated to produce the bed rails. I just sent them a suggesting on their contact page at this website: Contact Us | TracRac

cj
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 01:19 PM

Garage
Here's what I wrote to TracRac:

Would definitely buy one of your tracrac SL systems if it was available for
the GMC Canyon or Chevy Colorado second gens. These are very popular trucks
since being introduced. Please consider making a base rail for these trucks.

The response I got from Thule:

Hi Charles -

We will hopefully have something next year. They have not given up any availability date yet.

Thank you for your interest in our product line!

Best Wishes,

Karen
Thule Customer Service Team

So there is hope of being able to get this product.

CJ
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 11:46 AM

Garage
I spoke with Morrie at "tonneaufactoryoutlet" and he indicated that the work around for the tracrac on the 2nd gen is to order the base rails for the Silverado short box and cut them down 6" inches. There is also a new bolt on fitting for the back stake pocket so it does not rely on the expansion blocks. I've decided to go with this option and a Revolver X2 when my truck gets delivered in March. CJ
ImHooked likes this.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselCJ View Post
I spoke with Morrie at "tonneaufactoryoutlet" and he indicated that the work around for the tracrac on the 2nd gen is to order the base rails for the Silverado short box and cut them down 6" inches. There is also a new bolt on fitting for the back stake pocket so it does not rely on the expansion blocks. I've decided to go with this option and a Revolver X2 when my truck gets delivered in March. CJ
DieselCJ, I too am looking for this same solution and have researched a lot and have pretty much come up empty. Let us know if have received your truck and tried this out yet.
I have a Canyon SB. Your saying the Silverado SB cut down 6" should work, right?
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselCJ View Post
I too would like a cover and rack combination. Ideally the rack would be easily removed and reinstalled when needed. I've spent far too much time researching the offerings and have come up empty.
Same here!! The setups I've seen are all impressive, but they just didn't impress me for various reasons. You guys who are fabricating your own - have the right idea. It's a shame there's nothing underneath the bed pockets to solidly attach to for proper 'support' without needing a NASA degree. LOL

I just bought a BAkflip G2 and love it!! I had originally thought I wanted a rack system that utilizes the stake pockets without adding extra rails and doesn't interfere (or require cutting) the BAkflip. But, I'm officially subscribing to this thread to see if something new comes up. :)

But then again.... We already have Yakima Bowdown Kayak racks that we use on my husbands SUV. So - it might just be easier to get a roof rack and use the Yakima racks on both vehicles.
Decisions....decisions....LOL
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
Same here!! The setups I've seen are all impressive, but they just didn't impress me for various reasons. You guys who are fabricating your own - have the right idea. It's a shame there's nothing underneath the bed pockets to solidly attach to for proper 'support' without needing a NASA degree. LOL

I just bought a BAkflip G2 and love it!! I had originally thought I wanted a rack system that utilizes the stake pockets without adding extra rails and doesn't interfere (or require cutting) the BAkflip. But, I'm officially subscribing to this thread to see if something new comes up. :)

But then again.... We already have Yakima Bowdown Kayak racks that we use on my husbands SUV. So - it might just be easier to get a roof rack and use the Yakima racks on both vehicles.
Decisions....decisions....LOL
Boogie, you are correct. I might have the tools, but lack the skill set as some of the others on here that can create their own rack system. i had a Roll-X on my Tacoma that worked great. Ideal for me would be the Roll-X and the Adarack.

Glad to hear you like the Bakflip G2. That was my first option, but had heard reports (may not be true) that the rack supports were kind of flimsy and created a lot of wind noise on the higway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode