Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Differences between 2015 and 2016 Colorado?

36K views 70 replies 33 participants last post by  Andrew24 
#1 ·
I'm just about to order my new Colorado, but the dealer told me he cannot place an order for a 2015 model. That means it will be a 2016 model. I doubt there will be any major differences between the two model years, but does anyone know what differences there will be?

#4 ·
this has been discussed on several other threads.

Biggest changes from 2015 to 16 are:
- Apple CarPlay included (and Android's equivalent via a later software update)
- sliding rear window standard for Z71 and LT with convenience package
- color driver information display
- diesel engine (available later in 2016)
- price increase as noted above
- no more rally yellow color

#13 ·
What I don't get is why are a lot of the colors that were standard last year are now all of a sudden premium like the Cyber Gray? I priced out my Canyon as a 2016 model and it would have cost me $870 more.

#16 ·
That may have come from me, and if so, it's currently unconfirmed info based upon the order guides.

Colorado order guide:
Option NQ6:
NEW! Transfer case, electric, 2-speed
1 - Included and only available with (LWN)
2.8L Duramax Turbo-Diesel engine.

Option NQ7: (standard without LWN)
Transfer case, electric, 2-speed
Canyon order guide:
Option NQ6:
Transfer case, electric, 2-speed Autotrac

#27 ·
At this point, I'm not sure how to say this without inciting a riot... but there is a greater number of "premium" colors on the Canyon. Some colors that are extra cost on one truck are standard on the other (Cyber Gray for example)

Something not yet discussed here is the relative low production count of the Canyon as opposed to the Colorado.
Every time you do a color switch on the assembly line it costs time and money. Per unit, the color switches would be much more expensive on the Canyon.

The other way to look at this isn't a cash grab, but an incentive towards purchasing some of their most popular colors to keep the line moving.

#29 ·
At this point, I'm not sure how to say this without inciting a riot... but there is a greater number of "premium" colors on the Canyon. Some colors that are extra cost on one truck are standard on the other (Cyber Gray for example)

Something not yet discussed here is the relative low production count of the Canyon as opposed to the Colorado.
Every time you do a color switch on the assembly line it costs time and money. Per unit, the color switches would be much more expensive on the Canyon.

The other way to look at this isn't a cash grab, but an incentive towards purchasing some of their most popular colors to keep the line moving.
Sorry, but the argument does not hold water. You are already paying a premium for the Canyon to the Colorado.

Unless they are doing something unusual with this production line, typically you will see a Colorado come down the line followed by a Canyon. If they are batching the paint jobs by color, all they have to do is batch a Canyon in Cyber Grey with the allotment of Cyber Grey Colorados and there is not substantial costs difference between paint on the Canyon to the Colorado.

I remember the old S-10 plant in Shreveport, watching it when they built pickups & the Blazer/Jimmy SUVs on that line. Would see a Blazer followed by a S-10 followed by a S-15 followed by a Jimmy. Mix & match of Chevy and GMC models is done typically, so any cost adders for paint should be across the board.

If GMC thinks this is a wise move, they are going to be sorry. Driving the cost differential up by an additional $400 for paint is going to push the decision curve to Chevy models even higher.

#31 ·
Cary, the extra in the base price is a valid argument. From what I was told the cost differential was predominately materials differences, but we all know how closely we should trust internet rumor. I'm certain GMC has a higher profit margin. Even with that in mind, there is a lot of uncertainty in the 'unless' and 'if' in your statement.

I have no idea how they batch trucks. My expectation is that they were batching primarily on truck line, secondary on color. If that's proven an untrue statement, justification of additional cost does fly straight out the window.

I would mention that many were was against my statements of diesel pricing as they argued there's no way Chevy would over price the diesel option just because they could get away with it. IMO this is the same situation.

#33 ·
2016 = 2015 - recalls and - 100,000km worth of warranty lol

#36 ·
im sure they will but at the rate were getting them on 2015'a shouldnt be too bad for 2016

#40 ·
Price of merchandize, in this case Color premium, has little to do with the cost associated with its production. They are charging a premium because they can, very few people will care.
I am sure a market analysand was done and it showed they could charge this premium with little to no negative effect on sales.

#48 ·
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]The paint change is because of accommodations for the A.D.A. employees that are color blind and have to move to the GMC line…… Seriously if it will help them get 100% of the paint on without dirt specks, blobs, or runs it would be worth it.

GMC is supposed to be the expensive “luxury brand” but building these trucks for almost a year when mine was delivered, it didn’t look like it.

#50 ·
All this talk about the paint I just had to put in my two cents. I bought my Silver Ice Metallic Colorado on Halloween. I could see right away the paint was a bad job but decided to buy anyway. Finally had it repainted. The dealer had my vehicle from June 22 to July 20. Cost on the tickets I have is $3,600 plus $900.00 for the furnished rental car from Enterprise for a total of $4,500.oo. Let's hope they got the quality up before they start these upcharges for premium paint.

#51 ·
Good call, there. From what I've read, Silverado/Sierra owners are experiencing the same kind of thing. GM is obviously cutting costs somewhere when it comes to paint. If they're going to start hitting us with premiums, they should at least be giving us a decent paint job.

#52 ·
Any difference between the 2015 and 2016 Canyons?

Hello. Brand new to this forum and have found the discussions very informative. I don't know if this question has been asked before. If so please accept my apologies. I am seriously wanting to buy a Canyon slt and now see they are already taking orders for the 2016 model year. Does anyone know if there are any changes from the 15 to the 16? Thanks everyone.

#53 ·
Hello. Brand new to this forum and have found the discussions very informative. I don't know if this question has been asked before. If so please accept my apologies. I am seriously wanting to buy a Canyon slt and now see they are already taking orders for the 2016 model year. Does anyone know if there are any changes from the 15 to the 16? Thanks everyone.
link : GMC News - United States - Canyon

Reactions: Fishfighter
#57 ·
Since I just bought a 2016 Colorado, I'll put my 2 cents in. The rear sliding window is part of the package and it is heated. The 100,000 warranty is now 50,000 and the 4 free oil changes are now 2 free oil changes. I got the Bose system with the nav screen and it has the factory sprayed on bed liner which I could have done without. I am waiting on my running boards to be installed next Thursday. So far with only 225 miles on it, I like it. The Chevy My Link is not set up for the 2016 model yet, on the web site.

Reactions: BaK3_41
#58 ·
#59 ·
The quality was great on the spray on liner. Probably better than doing it aftermarket. I just don't know if I will like it 5 years from now. I have had a rubber mat in my truck before. I guess it will be better than scratched up paint in the bed. I'll probably put a mat or something on the floor anyway, plus a tonneau cover. I am more against the plastic liners because of the water than can lay under them. I put a plastic liner in an S10, that had a banged up bed, to hide the dents. That liner would have helped prevent the dents I guess, but the guy before me did the damage. I'm careful when loading anything in the bed. Everyone has to decide what they think will work best for them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.