Outer Armrest Cover - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 229 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 08:37 PM
JBT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
OK, I ordered the part mentioned above and it is black and it would fit to replace the OEM grey one on my Z71, but it is decidedly not padded in any form or fashion. It is just as hard and unforgiving as the original, just a different color. I guess I need to take a look at the padded leather one from a Canyon.
I am thinking the same thing. The Canyon SLT has leather with white stitching, that would look good with a Colorado Z71 and it is soft. The All Terrain has red stitching.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 229 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure about the cover that comes with the Z71 trim but, I can assure you, the one that comes with the WT is like a brick.
post #23 of 229 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 08:50 PM

The Canyon SLE is also padded black leather (or suitable substitute)with white stitching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JBT likes this.

post #24 of 229 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 09:51 AM

I'm getting confused. When I search at Group 1 Auto parts it doesn't matter whether I select a Colorado LT, Canyon SLE, or Canyon SLT, they all show the same part number for the console armrest.

Brownstone Colorado CC SB Z71 4WD with trailering, spray in liner, splash guards, and tie down rings. Added Homelink, LED interior lights, Rocky Road Super Sliders, Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite, and Blue Ox base plate.
post #25 of 229 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I'm getting confused. When I search at Group 1 Auto parts it doesn't matter whether I select a Colorado LT, Canyon SLE, or Canyon SLT, they all show the same part number for the console armrest.
I noticed that too. I thought "no way is that part only "$17" So I called a local GMC dealer and told them I wanted to buy the armrest off a 2015 GMC Canyon SLT and they asked for my vin # for my Colorado. They said it should fit but it would be a special order and those aren't refundable. $165. Part #23238938. Looks cheaper online.
post #26 of 229 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajoe View Post
I noticed that too. I thought "no way is that part only "$17" So I called a local GMC dealer and told them I wanted to buy the armrest off a 2015 GMC Canyon SLT and they asked for my vin # for my Colorado. They said it should fit but it would be a special order and those aren't refundable. $165. Part #23238938. Looks cheaper online.

Thanks for the part number. I ordered from Group 1 Auto Parts ($120 shipped). When it arrives I'll let everyone know if it's the right one.
JBT likes this.

Brownstone Colorado CC SB Z71 4WD with trailering, spray in liner, splash guards, and tie down rings. Added Homelink, LED interior lights, Rocky Road Super Sliders, Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite, and Blue Ox base plate.
post #27 of 229 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 09:51 PM

OK, Part # 23238938 arrived today. Part of the reason it is more expensive is because it is the entire console lid assembly, as opposed to just the lid cover. It is not PADDED, but it is a little bit padded and is certainly far more forgiving than the OEM Z71 blue lid. Anyway, simple process to swap them out. Since the new one came with the entire assembly I just pulled the rear cover off the the console, took tension off the spring arms, removed one E-clip, and then slid the hinge pin out. Reassemble in reverse. Almost takes longer to read the explanation than it does to perform. Bottom line, I'm happy with it and think it's worth the $$. Looks nicer and feels better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010859.JPG (395.6 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg P1010858.JPG (321.5 KB, 549 views)
File Type: jpg P1010861.JPG (421.3 KB, 607 views)
JBT, Renthal, videobored and 8 others like this.

post #28 of 229 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 10:07 PM

Looks much better!
mcush likes this.

2016 GMC Canyon SLE
All-Terrain
Black Exhaust Tip
GMC Mud Flaps
Tech Armor MyLink Shield
Cardinal Red

post #29 of 229 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

looks good moonshine! I see the white stitching....is that one actually for the Canyon?
post #30 of 229 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmetf150 View Post
...is that one actually for the Canyon?
Yes, Canyon SLE.

post #31 of 229 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 07:40 AM
JBT

Garage
Quote:
Yes, Canyon SLE.
Looks great! That's the one I want. So, it was $120.00 shipped from Group 1 Auto Parts? It says out of stock. Did everyone order one last night?

Last edited by JBT; 10-29-2015 at 07:44 AM.
post #32 of 229 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 09:43 AM

Excellent! Thanks for the great information, description and before and after pics! I'm totally gonna do this at some point.

2016 Cyber Gray Z-71 v6/4wd/cc/sb (bose, spray-in bedliner, chrome tip)
Mods: plasti-dipped bowties, BAK Revolver X2 tonneau cover, Husky mud flaps and floor mats, Rexing V1 dashcam, NFab 6-step nerf bars
--
What's the difference between a dirty bus stop and a lobster with breast implants? One is a crusty bus station, the other is a busty crustacean.
post #33 of 229 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
So, it was $120.00 shipped from Group 1 Auto Parts? It says out of stock.

It is the Part # 23238938 from Group 1 Auto Parts. May actually be for the Canyon SLT rather than SLE. I'm not sure, but it's solid black with white edge stitching. My total including shipping was $120.14. It was not in stock but said available in 3-4 days. From order date to delivery was about 10 days.
JBT, Mccobk01 and camerajunkie like this.

Last edited by Moonshine; 10-29-2015 at 03:45 PM.
post #34 of 229 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 06:58 PM
JBT

Garage
Quote:
OK, Part # 23238938 arrived today. Part of the reason it is more expensive is because it is the entire console lid assembly, as opposed to just the lid cover. It is not PADDED, but it is a little bit padded and is certainly far more forgiving than the OEM Z71 blue lid. Anyway, simple process to swap them out. Since the new one came with the entire assembly I just pulled the rear cover off the the console, took tension off the spring arms, removed one E-clip, and then slid the hinge pin out. Reassemble in reverse. Almost takes longer to read the explanation than it does to perform. Bottom line, I'm happy with it and think it's worth the $$. Looks nicer and feels better.
Thanks, did the rear console cover come off easy.? I read somewhere that you just pull up from the bottom. How did you get it off? Thanks. Also, that armrest looks like it matches the black leatherette in the seats, yes?
Mccobk01 likes this.

post #35 of 229 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to notate that moonshine stated, he bought the entire armrest assembly, not just the cover like I did. You can buy either but end result will be the same.

Edit: FYI - Mine was like $35

Last edited by Coloanyon; 10-29-2015 at 10:15 PM.
post #36 of 229 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 10:42 PM
JBT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmetf150 View Post
Just wanted to notate that moonshine stated, he bought the entire armrest assembly, not just the cover like I did. You can buy either but end result will be the same.

Edit: FYI - Mine was like $35
Was yours the leather SLT Canyon with white stitching cover?

post #37 of 229 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Thanks, did the rear console cover come off easy.? I read somewhere that you just pull up from the bottom. How did you get it off? Thanks. Also, that armrest looks like it matches the black leatherette in the seats, yes?
I used a trim removal tool (8" plastic pry bar) to get the rear cover loose on both sides at the bottom. It's just held in by two spring type retention clips. Once the bottom was loose I just worked my fingers up until the two top retention clips popped loose. Then just pull is rearward until it clears the console lid. The wires for the 12v plug and USB can stay attached, as they are long enough for you to move the rear cover to the side out of the way.

Yes, the armrest matches the seat leatherette and stitching perfectly.
JBT likes this.

post #38 of 229 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Was yours the leather SLT Canyon with white stitching cover?
I believe what jmetf150 bought was the first armrest cover that I bought. It is just like the OEM blue Z71 cover, only black in color. It was like $35.

I haven't found a way to purchase the Canyon SLT armrest without getting the entire lid assembly.
JBT likes this.

post #39 of 229 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 11:28 AM
JBT

Garage
Quote:
I believe what jmetf150 bought was the first armrest cover that I bought. It is just like the OEM blue Z71 cover, only black in color. It was like $35.

I haven't found a way to purchase the Canyon SLT armrest without getting the entire lid assembly.
Thanks, it looks real nice, like belongs there. That is what I'm doing.
Mccobk01 likes this.

post #40 of 229 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 07:08 PM

Follow up. I drove the truck today for the first time since installing the new armrest. Not only does it look better, but I can confirm that it is far more comfortable. It is padded just enough that it never feels hard against your elbow.
JBT, RatRacer, Coloanyon and 4 others like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode