Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

16 Owners, would you buy again?

30K views 161 replies 97 participants last post by  KY Red Rock 
#1 ·
Trying to make a big decision. Go with a new Colorado, or a Pro-4X Frontier. I like the Colorado in many ways, but my biggest issue is getting in & out, mostly in. Even with the seat all the way down & back (power). That's going to be a big pain everyday. Also the issues some are having makes me leery, (not that Frontier is perfect). So if you have a 16, has it drove you nuts,:frown2: or do you love it,:grin2: or a little of both:serious:?

Thanks!

Reactions: Poppyhumphrey
#2 ·
I absolutely love my '16 Colorado. Night and day difference over my Pro-4x. I traded in a '15 Pro-4X for my Colorado.

Never again will I buy a Nissan product. I had serious paint issues with the Pro-4x. So much so, that Nissan bought back the first one and gave me replacement. The replacement started having issues within the first 1000 miles. Blown axle seals, a mysterious no start condition...and guess what? Paint issues as well; solvent pop.

I was finally fed up and dumped it. I now finally own a truck I absolutely love. Yes, it has it minor quirks like the steering wheel creak, but I resolved that with some friction tape. But is feels so much more solid than the Frontier. Overall build quality is very noticeable in the Colorado.

The Nissan being a 10+ yr design is obvious when you compare it to the Colorado. Ultimately though, it comes down to what fits YOU better.

Just my two cents!

#3 ·
I think I remember reading your troubles on ClubFrontier, I'm "2010 Red Brick Crew" on there. If I remember right there a few of you with around the same build date, that had problems. Thanks for the reply I appreciate it!

#4 ·
I would suggest getting a full size truck if not enough seat. I bought a reg. cab S10 and couldn't get in/out. I gave it to my 16 year old Son and bought me a new Ridgeline. the Colorado is a little tighter than the Ridgeline but bigger than the S10.
to answer your question...Love my Colorado.

#5 ·
Im 6'0, no issues getting in or out.

When i just got mine i did not look at the frontier, but i did look at a taco. colorado beat it all around except in resale value.

to the frontier, colorado beats it all around including resale value.

Like stated, you gotta do you, but i would still pick the colorado. now, when jeep comes out with theirs, 2018, differant story

#6 ·
Have a '16 with a little over 1000 on the odo. So far, I'm really happy but I can't speak for someone who's owned it longer. I come from small cars so this seems cavernous to get into.

I preferred the twins over the Frontiers due to a) Better Aesthetics and b) the rear passenger room is actually great for a 'mid-size'.

#7 ·
I owned a 2005 Frontier, first year for the current body style. I had the NISMO, which was probably the predecessor to the PRO-4X. It was a good truck, and I didn't have any problems with it, but even the 2016 Frontiers look, feel, and drive like the 2005 I had. I heard Nissan is due for an update this year (2017 Model) or next on the Frontier. If it were me, and you decide on the Frontier over the Colorado/Canyon, wait till the new model comes out, if you don't you'll feel like you're driving a 2005 truck when everyone else is driving a new one!

I did look at the Frontier as I was shopping for my truck, and after some serious de-ja-vu, I decided I wanted something a bit less dated! I do like the Colorado more than the Frontier. I found this picture of the 2017 Frontier, it really isn't changing much:

Attachments

Reactions: KY Red Rock
#9 ·
I love every aspect of my 2016 except the paper thin hood and the resulting flutter, but hey, my dealer has the truck trying to sort it out for the third time and I am driving around in a brand new loaner, so even my one major issue is being handled well! Even considering that I recommend the truck to anyone thay will listen and some folks that dont!

#11 ·
I am REALLY enjoying my '16. I've got a little over 6000 miles on it now. We are getting to know each other better all the time (handling, engine power, ride, info center), and it just becomes more enjoyable. I had a Pontiac Grand Prix for about 12 years then a Bonneville for 14 years. I've driven trucks, but this is MY first truck. There was a bit of adjustment from the Pontiacs to having a truck as a daily driver, so at first I was a little... umm... "off"? But now I look for excuses to drive it. I'll take a longer way home, or if we're going somewhere I'll declare, "I'll drive!"

I'm short, so I like being able to adjust the seats as high as they go. (I've never had "up" as an option like I do in this truck) I have N-Fab steps, and I really like them. I use my left leg to step up on them, and it's a little tough with a bad hip; but it's at a very useful height.

I'll probably jinx myself here, but I have had none of the issues discussed on this forum. No water issues, no hood flutter, no creaky steering wheel.

At first I wasn't impressed with the power/take-off. I think I was being too hesitant. I decided to drive it like I mean it (not hot rodding, just stop babying everything), and it's doing great! Yes, it has it's quirks, but it's really smoothed out now that we are getting to know each other.

Yes, I think it's worth buying.

#13 ·
The question you seek is nearly impossible to answer......

This is my first GMC. I love the way it looks, I'm enjoying driving it, and it has sooooooo many gadgets & creature comforts I never had before. I have less than 2,000 miles on it and have only had it for a little under 2 months.

Ask me in 3 years...and again in 5 years.

I'm still trying to get used to it and learn how things work (Infotainment stuff). Along with some other things that are completely different than what I'm used to. I wish the throttle didn't stutter at times. The truck is comfortable and a pleasure to drive. I'm hoping it can be reliable and just 'work' without headaches for 10 years.

But seriously.... If you can't get in or out comfortably (for whatever reason) - DON'T BUY IT. I went thru this with my mother-in-law. A hip replacement and weak bones - she needed something she could just slide her butt in & out without any effort (plus, she's probably under 5' tall). My husband and I have always been 'researchers' and trying to find the best most reliable vehicle we could find for her - but everything went out the window when she didn't 'fit' in any of them. I've never been a Ford person ....and we weren't even considering one until we ran out of other options. She's in a Ford Escape and she loves it (and doesn't bother her bones and she can see out of it).

#15 ·
My 16 canyon is very stylish and the quality seems good, but there are a lot of things I would have done differently if I designed theses trucks.

#17 ·
3500 miles on it and there is not one thing about it that I hate. Yeh, where I like to adjust the seat you have to watch hitting your knee on the light switch but hey, nothing is perfect. Extremely pleased to see that the mileage is right where I had hoped it would be. I think it is a really sharp looking truck whether you get the Canyon or the Colorado. I started this whole process almost two years ago when I saw the specs on the Colorado. I was about to pull the trigger when along comes the announcement about the baby Duramax, so I waited almost another year and could not be happier. I pulled up to a stop light the other day and an 18 wheeler was stopped in the right hand lane. After I came to a stop I glanced up at his window and he had his head stuck out checking out my truck and grinning from ear to ear. He gave me a thumbs up and I drove off. Yep, I'm real happy with my truck.

#18 ·
I love my 16 canyon, i traded in a 2014 1500 denali . Really liked the denali except for the 8 speed trams , shifted crazy, dealer flashed the ecm, still shifted goofy, the other issue was the torque management , the canyon has none of these traits.

#21 ·
Thanks everyone!!! Keep um coming!

#22 ·
I went and shopped a 2016 Pro 4X thinking an 11 year old design with a new model coming out soon that there would be some great deals. NOPE, at least at the two dealerships I visited that is, they both offered $250, that's two hundred NOT two thousand, and fifty off MSRP.
There is no way I would pay anywhere near MSRP for a 2016 Frontier.

#24 ·
I've always owned Silverado's and switched to the Canyon in Feb and would do it all over again if need be. The truck handles great and a lot easier to park than the Silverado.
Plus the baby Duramax pulls my boat with ease. Waited a long time for a midsize with the diesel. :)

#26 ·
Almost 10k on mine now and Im as happy now as the day I brought it home. I've never considered buying a truck on how easy, or difficult, it was to get in and out of. Seems...like priorities are a little out of whack if you ask me. Nissan Frontier is now the most outdated pickup on the market. I cant imagine why you'd choose that over the Twins.

#27 ·
My last truck was a 05' Gmc Canyon with 170000 miles when i change for my Colorado 2016. Now i have 14000 Km and perfect in every way. Will buy it again and again.

#29 ·
I like the Colorado in many ways, but my biggest issue is getting in & out, mostly in. Even with the seat all the way down & back (power). That's going to be a big pain everyday. Also the issues some are having makes me leery, (not that Frontier is perfect). So if you have a 16, has it drove you nuts,:frown2: or do you love it,:grin2: or a little of both:serious:?

Thanks!
Have had my '15 since December 2014. Really like it.
You have a problem with the entry into the truck with the seat all the way back. How tall are you and how well does the truck fit once you're sitting behind the wheel?
It may be that you might want to go full size. As one poster put it, you'd probably hate the truck from the day you buy it with the entry problem.
Chevy is now having a sale on full size as the model year build is closing. I see that a Silverado 1500 double cab AT All Star 4wd is $9,000 off on the site. You could get the full size for a little more than a fully loaded Colorado depending on how much extra you want.
2016 Silverado 1500: Full-Size Pickup Trucks | Chevrolet

#30 ·
8000 miles on my Canyon. Came from an F-150, it was just too much since I only really load dirtbikes in the back. I love the truck, seems to ride a bit better when loaded. Great MPG when compared to the F-150. Sure I miss the V8 growl, but the 3.6 still has some giddup. No complaints with this truck.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

#31 ·
8000 miles on my Canyon. Came from an F-150, it was just too much since I only really load dirtbikes in the back. I love the truck, seems to ride a bit better when loaded. Great MPG when compared to the F-150. Sure I miss the V8 growl, but the 3.6 still has some gossip. No complaints with this truck.

Giddup*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.