Squeaky noise while driving slow - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Squeaky noise while driving slow

As I drive slow, 5 to 10 mph with the windows down I can hear a some what loud squeaky noise from under the truck, it sounds like the noise brakes makes when they are wearing out, but if I press the brake pedal the noise does not go away or change, also if I go a bit faster or slower its rate does not change either, another peculiar piece is that when I stop completely it feels like the noise continues for a second or so after the drivetrain stops moving, very strange.

I heard this a bit when the truck was new and it was one of the items the dealer was supposed to fix when I took it in, but they never did and now is much worst. Thing is with the windows closed you can not hear it from inside the cabin, it has been very hot here until recently, so I have been driving with the AC on, today it finally cooled off a bit and I notice the sound as I drove with the windows down.

Any ideas, hate to take her back to the dealer.

2016 Colorado 2.8 Duramax,
  • LT, Jet Black Leather, White,
  • CC, LB, 4x4, Sprayed on,
  • Bose, Navigation,
  • 2" Auto Spring Level,
  • Iron Cross HD Step
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 09:41 PM
JBT

Garage
Here's one thread I know of off hand that might interest you. It has different peoples problems with squeaks. There are more if you do a search. Good luck
Interior squeaking driving me crazy

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Thank you I had actually seen that thread, thing is all the problems posted refer to the squeak/noise inside the cab.

With the windows close my cab is very quiet, no noise or rattle at all, only with the windows down can you hear the loud squeaky noise from underneath the truck.

• Bose, Navigation,
  • 2" Auto Spring Level,
  • Iron Cross HD Step

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 10:54 PM
JBT

Garage
Got it. There are threads about the leaf springs squeaking also, from last year. I can't find them at the moment but if you do an advanced search in the 2nd Gen categories, it's there. If I find it, I'll post it for you. Hopefully people will chime in here too.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shft22 View Post
I hate going back to the dealer too because it's a PITA, but that's what the warranty is for and best to have them resolve it. It sounds like a mechanical issue such as a possible wheel bearing that was bad from the start, no sense letting it continue and maybe causing other problems.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 11:00 AM

well mine is at dealer but my dealer is 2 miles away and I live in small city and just a small dealership that is easy. Mine is for the steering wheel noise came back after they replaced it first week I had truck in March. I am hoping they get another new steering wheel. Other than that knock on wood at 21k miles everything is still great. Please keep us posted.

Last edited by crappie man; 10-26-2016 at 11:03 AM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 07:17 PM

Mine has the same cricket sound. When driving slowly in quiet parking garages with smooth floors and the windows down it is very noticeable. I had the dealer check it but of course there is no where quiet they can take it close to the dealership so I got the standard "could not duplicate" response.

It is not springs because I drove on smooth concrete. It is not brake related because using the brakes doesn't change the sound. It must be a drive shaft bearing or something similar. Just hope it fails in warranty if it is a wear issue and not after because even if you have complained about the problem they don't go back.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 12:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to 100MPG Send a message via MSN to 100MPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand1 View Post
Mine has the same cricket sound. When driving slowly in quiet parking garages with smooth floors and the windows down it is very noticeable. I had the dealer check it but of course there is no where quiet they can take it close to the dealership so I got the standard "could not duplicate" response.

It is not springs because I drove on smooth concrete. It is not brake related because using the brakes doesn't change the sound. It must be a drive shaft bearing or something similar. Just hope it fails in warranty if it is a wear issue and not after because even if you have complained about the problem they don't go back.
how often does it squeak? once every few feet? it sounds like it might be due with the rotation of the wheel so I would check for something rubbing like the backing plate or dust shield...do not have a twin so I don't know what is near the wheel area.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 01:02 PM

There is very little gap in the sound which is very much like a cricket changing tune and loudness. Turning the steering wheel while moving doesn't change it so if it is something on the wheel rubbing I would expect the side load would change the sound. That is why I think it is more related to the driveshaft. I took it to the dealer where I thought maybe they would put it on the lift and rotate the tires by hand to see if something was going on.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 02:55 PM

Hello shft22,

We regret to hear you are experiencing these concerns with your truck, and apologize for any frustration caused by this noise. We understand you are currently reaching out to other forum members for advice. However, we would be more than happy to offer our assistance, and reach out to your dealership. If this is something that interests you, please send us a private message.

All the best,

Julianne M.
GM Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by shft22 View Post
As I drive slow, 5 to 10 mph with the windows down I can hear a some what loud squeaky noise from under the truck, it sounds like the noise brakes makes when they are wearing out, but if I press the brake pedal the noise does not go away or change, also if I go a bit faster or slower its rate does not change either, another peculiar piece is that when I stop completely it feels like the noise continues for a second or so after the drivetrain stops moving, very strange.

I heard this a bit when the truck was new and it was one of the items the dealer was supposed to fix when I took it in, but they never did and now is much worst. Thing is with the windows closed you can not hear it from inside the cabin, it has been very hot here until recently, so I have been driving with the AC on, today it finally cooled off a bit and I notice the sound as I drove with the windows down.

Check out the NEW Owner Center at: My.Chevrolet.com and My.GMC.com

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 03:04 PM

Hello crappie man,

We understand your desires to have this concern addressed. If you would like and additional support while you are working with your dealership, just send a private message our way. Please include your VIN, full contact information and involved dealership.

Kindly,

Julianne M.
GM Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by crappie man View Post
well mine is at dealer but my dealer is 2 miles away and I live in small city and just a small dealership that is easy. Mine is for the steering wheel noise came back after they replaced it first week I had truck in March. I am hoping they get another new steering wheel. Other than that knock on wood at 21k miles everything is still great. Please keep us posted.

Check out the NEW Owner Center at: My.Chevrolet.com and My.GMC.com

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 05:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to 100MPG Send a message via MSN to 100MPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
Hello crappie man,

Kindly,

Julianne M.
GM Customer Care
HA HAHAHAHA! Omg I love this forum.
JBT, hack14u, JVederas and 1 others like this.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hello shft22,

We regret to hear you are experiencing these concerns with your truck, and apologize for any frustration caused by this noise. We understand you are currently reaching out to other forum members for advice. However, we would be more than happy to offer our assistance, and reach out to your dealership. If this is something that interests you, please send us a private message.

All the best,

Julianne M.
GM Customer Care
Thank you for reaching out. I am making an appointment at the dealer to have them check out the truck and will send you a private message with all the information once I do.

• Bose, Navigation,
  • 2" Auto Spring Level,
  • Iron Cross HD Step
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 11:05 AM

Mine was making a slight squeak at about 5-10 mph occasionally & it turned out to be a boot where the transmission tailshaft exited if I remember correctly.

They replaced the boot & solved the squeak.
Janster likes this.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 11:57 AM

Quick update, I just took my truck to the dealer this morning. I took the truck on a test drive with one of their techs and he instantly heard the squeaking. When we got back, he started rocking the truck back and forth from the front which I had only done the rear, and we found a bunch of screws under the front sway bar were very loose.....to the point where in another month they would probably fall off. I hope this is my issue with the squeaking. I also told them about the emergency brake causing problems for many other owners and pointed them to this forum. They are going to also check the e-brake line just in case.
Johng724 likes this.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 03:03 PM

I'm having the exact same issue. Brought my truck in once, and got the typical "could not replicate". Brought it back a week and a half later to drop it off for the tailgate to be resprayed and my hood to be foamed to stiffen it up. Took it for a ride around the dealership with the tech and he picked up the noise. I was told it was the hood. 5 minutes after picking it up, the noise was back.

I'm going to check the sway bar bolts, but this is really getting on my nerves.

2015 Colorado CC Short Bed LT, 3.6 4x4
Black, Grey Leather, Interior Luxury Package - Chrome
18" Dark Argent Wheels, Bose/Nav System
Raptor Spray-On Bedliner (DIY), Retrax MX Pro Tonneau
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 11:53 PM

Ok guys, hope this helps. For me, it ended up being the bolts on the sway bar that were causing the issue. The service guy told me that they ended up just putting in new bolts after we found the one that was loose. I drove it a bit after I picked it up and I am no longer hearing the squeaking noise. Guess someone in the factory was sleeping or the robot had a hiccup screwing in these bolts.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Lee View Post
Mine was making a slight squeak at about 5-10 mph occasionally & it turned out to be a boot where the transmission tailshaft exited if I remember correctly.

They replaced the boot & solved the squeak.
Interesting.....

I just started getting the 'squeak' myself today and it sounds like its coming from passenger side front. Took it out for a spin - You can't hear it while driving normally and up to speed. I could hear it just 'creeping' along going into my garage. I spent a good 5 minutes driving in & out of my garage back-n-forth putting it in Auto then into 2WD and back into Auto, then in 4WD, 2WD, etc.

From what I'm finding - It only squeaks while in Auto 4WD or 4WD. It doesn't do it while in 2WD. Sounds like a 'rubber' boot rubbing.

I'm not familiar with these trucks (yet) - Do these trucks have ADD? (Auto disconnecting differential)? - where the front axle shafts are always turning and the 4WD is actuated via a sleeve near the front diff? And/or could this be a front driveshaft issue at diff or tcase? Sorry, thinking out loud....

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 07:52 PM

I am having a similar noise, heard in parking structures and while driving in LA traffic next to the K-Rail
For me it sounds more of a cycling sound that would be found with a turning part rather then lose bolts. I also don't get a change when applying the brakes.
Pulled the front wheels found the outside brake pad on driver side is down to the wear indicators, the inside and the both passenger sides pads have good pad left. Truck has 17k on it.
Have an appointment with the not so crazy about dealership Thursday, will update how it goes.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Hello crappie man,

We understand your desires to have this concern addressed. If you would like and additional support while you are working with your dealership, just send a private message our way. Please include your VIN, full contact information and involved dealership.

Kindly,

Julianne M.
GM Customer Care
thanks you . they had some special grease for steering wheel and all quite again for now. Only thing now is I have some rattling sound coming now from behind the glove box somewhere. Glove box I hold and nothing and seems to be somewhere that is like vibrating rattle on plastic. Mine is a diesel. Once you hit some bumps then hit smooth roastil makes this rattiing vibration. Something plastic. Any ideas anyone. I just got my truck back after 2 days in shop and don't want to be out again already and vibrating rattle is constant and on way to work and home is driving me crazy, it is like you put a small plastic bottle of water in cup holder on console that doesent fit snug rattle sound but emptied everything and it is behind glove box or in dash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode