Ceramic Coating Advice - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By yokev
  • 1 Post By DenverJim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Ceramic Coating Advice

Hi. New Canyon owner and new member of forum. Been thinking hard about taking truck to have ceramic coating done to paint by a local professional detailing shop. Did a search of this thread but find any threads on this topic.

It's supposedly good for 5 years, assuming you do weekly washing. I've seen before and after pics of it and the difference is amazing. Paint looks "wet" all the time. Was just wondering if others have done it and if you thought it was worth the cost.

Thanks

2016 GMC Canyon SLT 4x4 Diesel Crew Cab Short Bed
Undercover Elite LX Tonneau

To Do List
=======
Ceramic Coating
XenonDepot H11 Extreme Low Beam Kit
Duramax Colorado Canyon Spade Tuner
WeatherTech Floor Liners
Bilstein 4600 Shocks
Bedrug Bed Mat Kit
Method Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 08:47 AM
ADMIN

Garage
I was looking at putting a Ceramic coating on the new Camaro after we get it.

2015 Laser Blue Colorado LT
CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
LED light bar - 32"
HID headlights
LED fog lights
LED high beams
LED reverse lights
LED license plate lights
LED visor lights
LED dome lights
LED switchback front turn signal lights
LED cargo light turn signal conversion
LED bed lights
LED tail lights
LED sidemarkers
Canyon swapped tail lights
Red painted calipers
Supermod ported throttle body
Silver metallic rally stripes
Super Skidz skid plate
Volant CAI

Have a Colorado but want Canyon tail lights? Or vice versa CLICK HERE

***NOTE***
SITE RULES

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 08:56 AM

I know a couple of people in the local Porsche club that had it done, it's stupid expensive! I mean it looks nice and is super protective but so expensive and pretty much permanent as they did it. From what they explained, it's also expensive and hard to repair if you do get a dent or chip or anything then.

For me, I don't think it would be worth it. For the price I've seen, you could repaint the whole truck in several years for less than the ceramic cost.

Does look good though...

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 08:59 AM
ADMIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
I know a couple of people in the local Porsche club that had it done, it's stupid expensive! I mean it looks nice and is super protective but so expensive and pretty much permanent as they did it. From what they explained, it's also expensive and hard to repair if you do get a dent or chip or anything then.

For me, I don't think it would be worth it. For the price I've seen, you could repaint the whole truck in several years for less than the ceramic cost.

Does look good though...
If you have any hands on experience, Adams Polishes now offers a ceramic coating kit for $150:

Adam's Ceramic Paint Coating Kit | Ceramic Paint Coatings

CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
LED light bar - 32"
HID headlights
LED fog lights
LED high beams
LED reverse lights
LED license plate lights
LED visor lights
LED dome lights
LED bed lights
LED tail lights
LED sidemarkers
Red painted calipers
Super Skidz skid plate
Volant CAI

***NOTE***
SITE RULES

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue15ColoradoLT View Post
If you have any hands on experience, Adams Polishes now offers a ceramic coating kit for $150:

Adam's Ceramic Paint Coating Kit | Ceramic Paint Coatings
That's much more reasonable. Have you seen what it looks like in application?

The only ceramic I've seen, like I said, were high end detailers doing it on Porsches for thousands of dollars that are essentially permanent coatings.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 09:11 AM

I have used the CarPro CQuartz system. Its not hard to do. The biggest problem most people will have is that the car should be polished beforehand. Otherwise it is pretty easy to apply. It certainly does last a long time. It is removable, but it has to be polished off. It was great for the Matte black vinyl hood of my Camaro 1LE. Still looked like new after a buffalo winter. I plan to do it myself again on my new Z71 Diesel come spring time.

-2016 Colorado Z71 CC Diesel long box-
-Hardwired Valentine1-Blacksys CH-100B Dash Cam-
-4TL-R HID projector retrofit w/Morimoto 50w Ballast and Osram CBI 5500k Bulbs-RC 30" LED Lightbar and Grill Mount-

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 09:15 AM
ADMIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
That's much more reasonable. Have you seen what it looks like in application?

The only ceramic I've seen, like I said, were high end detailers doing it on Porsches for thousands of dollars that are essentially permanent coatings.
not yet. This is a brand new kit they are offering. But I will be getting it in the spring

CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
LED light bar - 32"
HID headlights
LED fog lights
LED high beams
LED reverse lights
LED license plate lights
LED visor lights
LED dome lights
LED bed lights
LED tail lights
LED sidemarkers
Red painted calipers
Super Skidz skid plate
Volant CAI

***NOTE***
SITE RULES

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 06:11 PM

Detailing has been a hobby of mine for decades.

Paying a "professional" for application of a ceramic coating is a huge waste of money. I am a *big* believer in these new ceramic coatings, but as others have already pointed out, you can do it much cheaper yourself with one of the great ceramic coatings that are offered. It is not difficult to apply.

However, you *do* have to polish the vehicle first to get all swirls out of the paint as the ceramic coating will do nothing to help the swirls (it will actually lock them in).
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 07:48 PM

Garage
I had my Z06 ceramic coated with C quarts UK... and it is probably the best thing I could have done.. clean up is a breeze.. dirt mud washes right off and dries right off with a leaf blower.. Mine was done by Clarity auto detailing and I would definitely pay to have it done again when needed, they have a booth with temperature and humidity and all that crap under control. First pic was well over 2 years ago and 2nd was a couple weeks ago when I washed it .. still beads up like new with nothing but regular car washes in between using Adams soap. And yes it did have a three stage paint correction prior to applying as well as xpel film for the front end and fenders. I would highly recommend doing this to any vehicle if you can afford it or do it yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_1590_1480553407542.PNG (645.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4234_1480553437484.jpg (155.1 KB, 87 views)

16 Canyon Diesel
15 Canyon "gone"
11 Carbon Z06
13 CTS-V

Last edited by rcjoe; 11-30-2016 at 07:55 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 03:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJim View Post
Hi. New Canyon owner and new member of forum. Been thinking hard about taking truck to have ceramic coating done to paint by a local professional detailing shop. Did a search of this thread but find any threads on this topic.
I simply searched 'Ceramic Coatings', and came up with at least a full page of posts/threads, including this one titled 'Ceramic Coatings'
Ceramic coatings
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon - Search Results
dave66rivi and Jimbo17 like this.

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17

Last edited by GregDAP; 12-01-2016 at 11:50 AM. Reason: removed off topic rant
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Hi. I should have mentioned that the cost quoted was $600 for ceramic coating my Canyon. Assuming it lasts 5 years, that comes to a total cost of ownership of $10/month. Thanks all for the input.
Mellowyellowz likes this.

2016 GMC Canyon SLT 4x4 Diesel Crew Cab Short Bed
Undercover Elite LX Tonneau

To Do List
=======
Ceramic Coating
XenonDepot H11 Extreme Low Beam Kit
Duramax Colorado Canyon Spade Tuner
WeatherTech Floor Liners
Bilstein 4600 Shocks
Bedrug Bed Mat Kit
Method Wheels

Last edited by GregDAP; 12-01-2016 at 11:47 AM. Reason: removed insults.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Ok let's settle down here...

Searching first is always the correct thing to do. But members seldom do it, or they will say "I tried searching, but..." when they probably didn't really try. It is just the way things are on forums.

Let's not get into a name calling schoolyard back and forth over something rather trivial.
@yokev... there is a right and a wrong way to say things. You could have said "Look I searched and found a thread for you, try searching a little bettet next time". Instead you went on a rant and lectured the member trying to figure out the person's motive.

Please @DenverJim .... no personal insults.

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods

Last edited by GregDAP; 12-02-2016 at 09:51 AM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 05:41 PM

Garage
I'm not sure it will last 5 years.. my detail guy told me usually 2 years with CQuartz...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregDAP View Post
Ok let's settle down here...

Searching first is always the correct thing to do. But members seldom do it, or they will say "I tried searching, but..." when they probably didn't really try. It just the way things are on forums.

Let's not get into a name calling schoolyard back and forth over something rather trivial.
@yokev... there is a right and a wrong way to say things. You could have said "Look I searched and found a thread for you, try searching a little bettet next time". Instead you went on a rant and lectured the member trying to figure out the person's motive.

Please @DenverJim .... no personal insults.
A lot of effort in your post but it has little effect. You already know that there are going to be threads created while there are previous threads with the answer. It is a forum where people want to talk. A thread is started not only because they want to get an answer, but also to have a conversation. It's the nature of the Internet. People complain about folks not searching first and yet history will repeat itself with repeated threads. It's going to happen.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDV View Post
A lot of effort in your post but it has little effect. You already know that there are going to be threads created while there are previous threads with the answer. It is a forum where people want to talk. A thread is started not only because they want to get an answer, but also to have a conversation. It's the nature of the Internet. People complain about folks not searching first and yet history will repeat itself with repeated threads. It's going to happen.
Yes I know repeat posts are going to happen... I'm well aware of that. You can still have a conversation by posting in an existing thread covering the topic at hand without starting a new thread. I stepped in here as a moderator because of a reported post. If you had read the two posts above mine before I edited them then you would see why I said something.

If you want to continue this discussion then PM me. Let's keep this thread on topic

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods

Last edited by GregDAP; 12-02-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode