Re: canyon in snow - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 138Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 10:20 AM

Garage
I have not yet had a chance to drive my Colorado in the snow, but have had many other full size Z71's from extended cab, crew cab and a couple of Avalanches that have seen lots of snow time up in Casper and Muddy Mountain during Deer season.

TIRES, TIRES, TIRES!!!

Everyone agrees tires make a hugh difference. I have found that the Goodyear AT+S is a pretty decent setup for all around driving, I am sure there are many others.
The other thing is momentum and steady throttle pressure. When you start to feel slippage, don't automatically smash the gas, that will just break the rear end loose, then you panic and get all the way off and lose all momentum.

Thats just my experience, others will chime in with more info and ideas, it's a great thing about the forum.

2016 Colorado CCSB, Duramax Z71 4x4, bose, nav, leveling kit, retrax bed cover, linex, Westin Sportsman Grill Guard Winch Mount, Westin T-Max 9500lb winch, Mictuning curved light bar, Undercover swing case's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 10:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wweilbacher View Post
I have not yet had a chance to drive my Colorado in the snow, but have had many other full size Z71's from extended cab, crew cab and a couple of Avalanches that have seen lots of snow time up in Casper and Muddy Mountain during Deer season.

TIRES, TIRES, TIRES!!!

Everyone agrees tires make a hugh difference. I have found that the Goodyear AT+S is a pretty decent setup for all around driving, I am sure there are many others.
The other thing is momentum and steady throttle pressure. When you start to feel slippage, don't automatically smash the gas, that will just break the rear end loose, then you panic and get all the way off and lose all momentum.

Thats just my experience, others will chime in with more info and ideas, it's a great thing about the forum.
Good point - and works for the brakes too. Feathering beats smashing down on the brakes and holding them there (even with anti-locks).
post #23 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 10:43 AM

O.P.
Just wondering which cab you have. I wonder if crew cab would be more stable (in the snow) with the extra weight compared to regular cab. Or short and long bed difference too?

post #24 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 11:45 AM

Tires are the difference! More weight in the rear helps a bunch too.

Stock Goodyear tires had minimal traction on non-dry pavement even in 4wd. Moved to Goodyear Duratracs and that improved everything tremendously traction wise. Only downside was that mpg took a 1.5 average hit due to higher rolling resistance. When I replace Duratracs I'll go to a slightly less aggressive tire that is a bit more road and less offroad.

Loved the AT+S tires on my fullsize truck but they are now discontinued and being replaced by a new line that is just starting to come out.

Tom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wweilbacher View Post

TIRES, TIRES, TIRES!!!

2015 Colorado, Rain Forest Metallic, Z71 crew cab, Goodyear Duratrac 265/70R17, HP-Tuner enabled
post #25 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 01:21 PM

Tires do make a difference, mostly because people have worn down tread life so even a new all season in the snow will be much better then one with 20K miles on it. Plus as someone else mention the (at least on the Z71 that comes with them) the Goodyear Wranglers are all terrain (not all season) and a decent tire for snow.

My advice for anyone new to a vehicle in the snow is find a empty parking lot and get use to it in the snow. Get a feel for the ABS, 4wd system, etc. Just don't got nuts that you risk rolling over.
post #26 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 05:56 PM

I remember last year taking a test drive in February and we ended up driving on back country roads that were drifted in.....I remember thinking to myself...OH Crap...I'm not used to this truck!!! It did well, and I remember stomping on the gas on purpose to see if it would slide around (it didn't). I was impressed then!

I spent the last 9 years driving around in a 2007 tacoma which has 4WD and the mechanical LSD. I never noticed any differences with tires - as I always ran in 4WD regardless in snow. I did notice how bad the tires will get once they reach a certain age and tread depth. Toward the end of their life span - I'd add 200lbs to the bed until I could squeak out another 6 months or until next Dec. before buying new tires.

For the most part - I use engine braking a lot instead of the brakes. If I can roll up to a stop sign or stop light without using my brakes till the last moment...I'm golden. Never hit your brakes abruptly and/or too hard ..... Remember, it's not about traction, it's more about stopping and turning. These trucks are more than capable of getting you MOVING. But they can't control Operator error and slick conditions. Even with ABS, if you hit those brakes too hard...you're screwed.

Yea...I might drive somewhat like Grandma - but atleast I get there and get there without damage!
lairdt likes this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #27 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 06:29 PM

Garage
I felt the oem wranglers did very well last year when they were fresh but once they got around 20-25k they started performing very poorly. Going into this year with KO2's and very excited to play in the snow. Noticed a few weeks ago the snowflake on the side so should be smooth sailing. Weight in the bed will also help your slides, when they do happen, be a bit more controlled rather than wild and abrupt.

Air Dam delete
LED Lights/Signals
HID High/Low
RC 1" Level
aFe Momentum GT
MBRP Exhaust
Elite Catch Can
Trifecta Tune
post #28 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 06:45 PM

Drove mine in the snow today with no wieght in the back... I do have falken wildpeak at3s and was very good on slick roads

[/IMG]
post #29 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I'm curious to know..... have you owned pickup trucks before?
I would highly recommend you find an empty parking lot - and a lot of snow - and play around with the truck forcing yourself into spins & such. You really should learn how everything reacts in certain slowly conditions.
Nope. I've had front wheel drive cars, awd subaru wrx, etc but this is my first truck. It definitely handles differently in snow than any vehicle ive owned in the past...especially on turns of any sort. Definitely going to be putting some weight in the back. Sandbags or something. It's just dangerous otherwise. Those little lines of slush that make a fwd car shimmy made my truck feel like it was determined to begin the death spin lol......Starting to think an SUV would have been the better option but having a truck bed became super necessary having bought a house =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxjr View Post
What kind of tires are you using.?
I am running Blizzak DMV2 tires and 400 lbs of weight in the back. Was real icy this morning . Truck did good in Autotrac mode up to my buddies farm up a 12% grade for 1 km. Pick ups are the worst in the snow for traction due to the light ass end and RWD. Lots of weight is a must.
I've got on whatever the all terrain came with haha, forgot to check this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .boB View Post
I had mine on snow and ice this week end. I was surprised at how well the automatic transfer case worked; very smooth, effective, and seamless. Truck was very good in the snow, and only slipped when I forced it to.

Tires have a greater effect on performance than any other component on the vehicles. I have the stock tires that come with the Z71 package, what do you have?
I've got the 2016 Canyon All terrain.
post #30 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 04:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to 100MPG Send a message via MSN to 100MPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdusen1216 View Post
and carry the severe snow conditions symbol (mountain and snowflakes) which means they are certified to perform well in snow and extreme winter conditions.
not exactly...
What is a Mountain Snowflake?
Quote:
In English, this means that the tire wanting to wear a Mountain Snowflake has to have 10% better snow grip than the standard reference tire everybody uses.
post #31 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinkehCanyon View Post
Nope. I've had front wheel drive cars, awd subaru wrx, etc but this is my first truck. It definitely handles differently in snow than any vehicle ive owned in the past...especially on turns of any sort. Definitely going to be putting some weight in the back. Sandbags or something. It's just dangerous otherwise. Those little lines of slush that make a fwd car shimmy made my truck feel like it was determined to begin the death spin lol......Starting to think an SUV would have been the better option but having a truck bed became super necessary having bought a house =).
Front wheel drive and AWD vehicles make snow driving a no brainer and whole lot easier.

This is a truck and it'll NEVER drive like an AWD or FWD car no matter how much weight you put in the bed or what type of tires you use.

Trucks are NOT dangerous. The only thing that's dangerous is the driver behind the wheel. You need to learn how to drive it........ It's a much larger, heavier vehicle with different characteristics. You need to have one less cup of coffee in the morning, you need to leave the house 10 minutes earlier, and you need to take your time, go much slower, and use the brakes much less & lighter.

Get used to it..... Or else you'll have to buy yourself a Subaru Baja. :)
bcuzucant and zrbh09 like this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #32 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 07:41 AM

Weight. Live in New England. Big fat tires won't work. Snow or All weather. I usually have 450 lbs in the back.... even that is not perfect as the front is just so much heavier... physics. Oh and btw everyone in the hill towns here has a Subaru... they are like tanks in snow.

2016 Colorado Duramax LT CyberGray Longbox 4WD
post #33 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 08:23 AM

I just read one guy say they put 400lbs in the back? Is that normal? How much weight are you guys running in the bed?
post #34 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100MPG View Post
Wow! LOL Well almost exactly. Exactly enough for the purposes of this conversation in any case.

2016 GMC Canyon EC All Terrain V6
post #35 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 08:47 AM

I put 120 lbs of tube sand in the back the other day before it started snowing, combined with the set of wheels/tires I have in the bed as well I would say it's close to 400 lbs. Truck rides better it feels like with the extra weight in the back.
Once I finally sell the wheels/tires I'll add some more sand.

Ps, like @Buckland said, wider tires don't help with snow. Skinnier the better if you want better snow traction.

@ZinkehCanyon with the AT you should be fine with the stock tires.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #36 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 09:44 AM

All "trucks" ride better with a few hundred pounds in the back. I don't remember doing that with my S-10 Blazer, but my GMC Safari minivan built on a truck style chassis, my C1500 full size Chevy, my 2001 Tahoe, and yes, even my 2015 Canyon.

What always surprised me was how much better the S-10 Blazer and Tahoe performed with just the added weight associated with having a covered rear end versus an open bed. They were much better in the snow than my pickups.

If you had seen how smooth that Safari road when I loaded 1600 pounds of shingles, it was amazing.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #37 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 10:43 AM

I'm from Texas. What is this "snow" that you speak of?

Just kidding. In my old 2011 v8 canyon, I had the goodyear at kevlars (same as the set on my 2016.) I've been all over the nation through some of the nastiest blizzards I've seen. I was told in upstate New York that is was one of the worst years because it got hot enough to melt the snow and then it will freeze up and create a layer of ice under the snow. It also snowed everyday. That canyon did really good. The ones who suffered were the muscle cars. Lots of power to the rear. It's all about how you drive. Easy on the throttle and I preferred to down shift instead of breaking to slow down. Of course my truck stayed in 4hi.
post #38 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 10:49 AM

I had the"pleasure" of driving about 100 miles and breaking trail in about 5 inches of fresh snow yesterday all the while pulling my utility trailer loaded with my UTV. Roughly 2,000 lbs in total weight. The Z71 has the stock factory tires with about 10,000 miles on them. I was impressed with the performance and did not get stuck once other then I did not anticipate on one occasion an icy intersection and the weight of the rig pushed me partly through but managed to stop. Fortunately there was no traffic but made me realize that no matter what tires you have on once the brakes lock up you just become a toboggan. Otherwise, I drove for the conditions at hand.

Have a look at this crazy video in Montreal as well yesterday. Did not matter what you drove or what tires was on the vehicle.

Watch: Montreal pile-up involving 2 buses, a police car and a snowplow sliding d
post #39 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

For the most part - I use engine braking a lot instead of the brakes. If I can roll up to a stop sign or stop light without using my brakes till the last moment...I'm golden. Never hit your brakes abruptly and/or too hard ..... Remember, it's not about traction, it's more about stopping and turning. These trucks are more than capable of getting you MOVING. But they can't control Operator error and slick conditions. Even with ABS, if you hit those brakes too hard...you're screwed.
^^This, (Works great on the Dmax)

We had a pretty good snow squall 2 weeks ago. Lake Effect snow for 36+ hrs accumulated over 24inches. 9 mile, rural/hilly commute to work, none of the roads were plowed. I drove in 4WD high with tow/haul/exhaust brake on. Going down hills I would just tap the brake to engage exhaust brake, maintained traction without a problem.

Fire up those heated seats, crank the Bose, and take it slow
Janster likes this.
post #40 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 02:43 PM

Garage
I came down the Coquihalla highway a couple days ago with lots of snow and a little ice on the road in my stock tires. I have 2WD with about 270 pounds of weight in the back and my truck handled fantastic the entire trip (minus a large ice patch which turned out fine).

I think a lot of it has to do with the driver. I learned on/came from a 04 dodge dakota and if you think the colorados slide in snow, you will never want to drive one of the dakotas in snow.

For going down hills, use the manual gear selector and keep it low to brake yourself, avoid using regular breaks unless you need to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode