Re: canyon in snow - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Re: canyon in snow

Took the 2016 canyon out in the snow today for the first time and I gotta say I'm really kind of surprised how poorly it performed.

I admit it's been eons since I've owned a rwd vehicle but yikes....the back end wants to come around constantly, and this was only with a couple inches of slushy snow on the road.

I set it to auto 4x4 and that helped significantly but even then on lazy curves I could feel the wheels just barely hanging on to traction.

I think I'm still trying to drive my truck like my GTI, so I'll work on slowing the turns and throttle control but do any of you have any tips? Sandbags in the bed, using full time 4x4 over auto on roads I know are bad, etc?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 11:30 PM

Get some weight in the rear, will help tremendously.

Also tires, good snow tires or just better all season on any vehicle will make a huge difference.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Pro-Truck Sport RHA shocks, Eibach Pro-Truck Sport shocks rear, Rear GM 1in Lift Blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo TruXport roll-up tonneau, Bull rings, SilverStar, Osram Zevo LED, Westin Pro Traxx steps, Fog Lights w/JDMastar LED, Rear LED pods, Husky Liner floor mats, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #3 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
Get some weight in the rear, will help tremendously.

Also tires, good snow tires or just better all season on any vehicle will make a huge difference.
Yeah sand bags are definitely on the list this week. :)

I'm currently using the all seasons that came with the truck which I thought were fairly aggressive. I believe my dad has them on his f350 and a few friends at work have them as well. Is there something better I could go with? Really would prefer to keep my stocks as they've only got 6k on them hehe.

post #4 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 11:44 PM

Garage
I had mine on snow and ice this week end. I was surprised at how well the automatic transfer case worked; very smooth, effective, and seamless. Truck was very good in the snow, and only slipped when I forced it to.

Tires have a greater effect on performance than any other component on the vehicles. I have the stock tires that come with the Z71 package, what do you have?

.boB
2016 Colorado: long bed, Z71, Mini-Duramax
www.RacingTheExocet.com
post #5 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 11:45 PM

Garage
What kind of tires are you using.?
I am running Blizzak DMV2 tires and 400 lbs of weight in the back. Was real icy this morning . Truck did good in Autotrac mode up to my buddies farm up a 12% grade for 1 km. Pick ups are the worst in the snow for traction due to the light ass end and RWD. Lots of weight is a must.

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.
post #6 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 11:57 PM

The stock Goodyear Wrangler Fortitudes on the LT, not the z71, not sure of Canyon, aren't great for snow/ice. Too blocky and not enough siping

A lot of tires would be better. Had good experience in the past on SUVs with Geolanders.

If you want the best snow/ice traction add the weight in the rear and get actual snow/ice rated tires with the mountain symbol

Eibach Pro-Truck Sport RHA shocks, Eibach Pro-Truck Sport shocks rear, Rear GM 1in Lift Blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo TruXport roll-up tonneau, Bull rings, SilverStar, Osram Zevo LED, Westin Pro Traxx steps, Fog Lights w/JDMastar LED, Rear LED pods, Husky Liner floor mats, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
post #7 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 12:05 AM

all season tires are good for anything EXCEPT snow
CrashFix and markpetersonii like this.
post #8 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinkehCanyon View Post
Took the 2016 canyon out in the snow today for the first time and I gotta say I'm really kind of surprised how poorly it performed.

I admit it's been eons since I've owned a rwd vehicle but yikes....the back end wants to come around constantly, and this was only with a couple inches of slushy snow on the road.

I set it to auto 4x4 and that helped significantly but even then on lazy curves I could feel the wheels just barely hanging on to traction.

I think I'm still trying to drive my truck like my GTI, so I'll work on slowing the turns and throttle control but do any of you have any tips? Sandbags in the bed, using full time 4x4 over auto on roads I know are bad, etc?

Thanks!
The snow we got here in Wisconsin was very wet and packed very easily presenting a challenge for traction. You must put some weight in the back over the rear wheels and drive in auto 4x4 on roads like we had today. You should not expect to have good traction in a rwd pickup because the weight bias is toward the front wheels.

Whenever the roads are wet, snow, or ice, always use auto 4x4...that is why you have it.

If you want a real snow-mobile, get Blizzaks like dmaxjr has. If you do, use them only in the winter and you will likely wear them out in a couple of years.

Last edited by njacobsen; 12-05-2016 at 01:01 AM.
post #9 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 06:54 AM
mmg

Garage
Driven in 9 inches of snow with no weight in the back, and on stock tires. Auto 4x4 mode was all I needed.

I did later upgrade to Firstone Destination LE all season tires and noted a huge improvement over the stock tires.
post #10 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 08:14 AM

I'm curious to know..... have you owned pickup trucks before?

Most all trucks I've driving are 'light' in the rear and absolutely suck in 2WD in the snow. It's the nature of the beast. If you've never owned a pickup truck before - then Welcome to It's NORMAL.

I always use 4WD in snow. In fact, I even use Auto 4WD when the roads are slightly wet. The rear wheels just 'spin' if you get on the gas too much on even slightly wet roads. Again...this is normal.

If trucks were awesome in 2WD (in snow), there'd be no need to have 4WD.

I would highly recommend you find an empty parking lot - and a lot of snow - and play around with the truck forcing yourself into spins & such. You really should learn how everything reacts in certain slowly conditions.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s

Last edited by Janster; 12-05-2016 at 08:16 AM.
post #11 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 08:24 AM
JBT

Garage
What @Janster said. Also, midsize trucks are lighter and bounce around more than large trucks and have a higher center of gravity than a car. Turning at higher speeds is much different than a car. Especially, on off ramps of highways and such. It's not your GTI anymore. But it's fun in 4 wheel drive in snow. Throw a couple hundred pounds in the bed and your drive will change completely. I don't have this, but I have a cap that adds weight to the back.
Janster likes this.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab

Last edited by JBT; 12-05-2016 at 08:32 AM.
post #12 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinkehCanyon View Post

Thanks!
Exactly, big different between GTI and Canyon.

It's a 4wd, you don't need sandbags in the bed unlike a 2wd which are super dangerous in snow if you have no sand in the bed. I've been driving 4wd drives in New England winters for many years, just comes to learning the feel of the vehicle.

I don't know about 4wd auto, I don't have it, but for me I just switch into 4wd when I sense conditions are getting tricky. 4wd is probably nice for the occasional issue that might crop up, but if weather is really bad, I'd use it full time.
CrashFix likes this.
post #13 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 09:20 AM

This is an interesting thread for me. My Canyon is my first pickup and I came from an AWD sedan that handled all conditions well. I've already had to recondition my driving habits for the Canyon (as you would expect), but I have yet to have the Canyon out in snow. My Canyon has 4wd, so I plan to put it in Auto when conditions are bad, but I also plan to load some sand or something else in the bed to put some weight above the rear tires as well. We don't really get enough snow here (central Indiana) for me to go with Blizzaks as the majority of the time I would be driving on dry pavement. So, hoping the tires on my AT will suffice.

2016 GMC Canyon CC 4x4 AT SB Onyx Black
Westin Pro Traxx 4
Trifecta Advantage Performance Tune
American Tri-Fold Soft Tonneau
Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights
Custom LED Bedlights
Diode Dynamics Cargo/Reverse/License Plate Bulbs
Morimoto XB35 5500K HID Low Beams
post #14 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 09:20 AM

Finally had a little snow this morning, enough to cause everyone to loose their shit again and slow my commute down to 2 hours...

Do confirm the Fortitude tires suck with snow. Lightly giving gas while in stop and go slipped more than once, never enough to lock the rear or anything. Have about 400lbs or so in the bed right now between sand bags and a set of wheels so that probably helped quite a bit.
Once we get significant snowfall, I'll use 4wd, was fine today knowing how to drive to the conditions.

If you see snow regularly, even with 4wd, put some weight in the back...

Came from fwd cars with nice Blizzaks that were a blast to drive in the snow. Only real deep stuff did I ever get stuck and knew the car well enough to have a lot of fun, when safe. Need to find a good parking lot to try the truck now.
Dmax16 likes this.

My build thread
post #15 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeisber View Post
This is an interesting thread for me. My Canyon is my first pickup and I came from an AWD sedan that handled all conditions well. I've already had to recondition my driving habits for the Canyon (as you would expect), but I have yet to have the Canyon out in snow. My Canyon has 4wd, so I plan to put it in Auto when conditions are bad, but I also plan to load some sand or something else in the bed to put some weight above the rear tires as well. We don't really get enough snow here (central Indiana) for me to go with Blizzaks as the majority of the time I would be driving on dry pavement. So, hoping the tires on my AT will suffice.

The tires on your all terrain should be fine. They are Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventures and carry the severe snow conditions symbol (mountain and snowflakes) which means they are certified to perform well in snow and extreme winter conditions.

2016 GMC Canyon EC All Terrain V6

Last edited by mdusen1216; 12-05-2016 at 09:36 AM.
post #16 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 09:46 AM

Garage
I've honestly found that tires alone can completely change how nearly any vehicle handles snow. A good set of rubber is well worth the investment. If you can afford to have a dedicated snow tire then definitely go that direction. If not, get a really nice all season tire with good snow ratings.

Weight, as mentioned, is also a factor in trucks. Throw a couple bags of sand in the bed over the rear wheels and you'll see a noticeable change in behavior as well. These trucks are extremely light in the ass end so even the slightest bit of moisture will send you fishtailing all over when you get on the skinny pedal.

My '06 Colorado Z71 didn't have the traction control and stabilitrack aids so those are throwing me off right now with the Canyon. I'm not a fan of the computer making those decisions and I find myself trying to fight it still.
post #17 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 10:31 AM

I like what the guys in racing and tire business call all-seasons: No-season tires.

They are ok in general weather but if you're looking for excellent winter traction, good off road or nice performance stickyness, they are not it. They're the jack of all trades, master of none.

Good snow tires will change any vehicle and it's funny watching people the first time they really try some, they really make a difference just like if you are racing, r-comps or slicks will give so much more grip.

Anyway, the All-Terrains should be OK, good enough to get through most stuff, as long as you know how to drive for the conditions.

Remember, even with 4wd, you still have to stop and steer.

My build thread

Last edited by kaiser67; 12-05-2016 at 10:50 AM.
post #18 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 10:37 AM

Garage
I got to play in the snow for the first time yesterday as well. We had 6 in of wet snow here in N IL. I was very impressed with how my All Terrain (Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventures) handled. Tires had a ton of grip. 2 wheel drive without the traction control did slide all over. Using auto with the traction control and I had a hard time trying to slip. My teenage son is learning to drive and this was his first snow. Drove for an hour on the snowiest roads we could find and did some doughnuts in a parking lot. I did have him read this before we went out-
Four-Wheel Drive Benefits, Tips & Uses ? GMC Life
CrashFix and Stansuski like this.

2016 Canyon SLE All Terrain Crew Cab 4x4
Cyber Grey / Jet Black
Steps removed
UnderCover Tonneau
Weatherguard Mud Flaps and Floor Liner
Opt 7 LED Headlights and Fogs
LED Reverse Lights
BNR Tune / Diablosport intune i2
post #19 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 10:39 AM

Average annual snowfall here is 123"+. Some years we see much more. The terrain is very hilly as this is ski country. My 4WD Canyon eats this up easily. No problems in the worst weather.
No weight in rear, stock tires only and I go can everywhere at any time w/o any problem. It is all about the driving. I can attest that the Twins go easily in the nastiest snow.
If you are having problems you need to practice your winter weather techniques.

2015 Canyon SLT 4X4 V6, CC, SB.
Bronze Alloy Metallic/Cocoa Dune
Ordered 10/8/14 Picked up 12/22/14
post #20 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 11:05 AM

Garage
I run two sets of tires on all three of my vehicles - summer and winter. I had the Canyon out in some early season slush last year before the winter tires came in and didn't care for the traction with the stock tires. 4WD/AWD systems don't replace tire traction - they can help you move through snow - but they can't improve the grip and I wasn't overly impressed with the stock all seasons in the slush. I run Pirelli Scorpion Snow and Ice winter tires on my Canyon from about Thanksgiving through Easter here; they do a great job holding lines through curves, stopping in ice/snow, etc.
highqualityh20 likes this.

Last edited by Shawn O'Leary; 12-05-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode