Mallett Supercharger Kit 3.6L - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 29Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 11:10 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8
I really don't need this much power in my truck, but I WANT this much power in my truck!

Hmm...what to do.
ivi-guy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 01:03 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: ...
Posts: 27
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpetersonii View Post
2. How well does the 4x4 (diffs) hold up with the extra load? Worried that I'd install it and then switch to 4x4 and grenade it.
With the stock kit, I'm sure you'll be fine. He's had to have taken this into account. And its not like you're getting 15#s on the stock kit. The real problems come from running really sticky tires on a launch. Heck, you can probably run 400 horses on the stock drivetrain as long as you let the tires spin vs stick.

Aaaand then theres towing....
Mikeiser is offline  
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor
 
Mallett Performance Cars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NC
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpetersonii View Post
So I have a couple questions...

1. Since this "is" the LGZ blower, will it work on the earlier models, without issue?

2. How well does the 4x4 (diffs) hold up with the extra load? Worried that I'd install it and then switch to 4x4 and grenade it.
1. Yes. To clarify, the kit was designed for the 2015/16, and the 17. It's one kit, designed for both. We were just ahead of the curve on the update.

2. Zero issues. Must've made a hundred passes in 4wd... I don't think many customer cars have been to the strip but most are 4wd and we haven't had any issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeiser View Post
Aaaand then theres towing....
Towing is fun... It'll spin the tires...
Mallett Performance Cars is online now  
 
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 07:18 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 9
This very interesting. I looked around the Mallett site and didn't see much info. Can you explain how this doesn't affect the GM warranty? Very interested, if this doesn't affect the warranty in any way. Thanks
markpetersonii likes this.
JCOA is offline  
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 07:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 85
Hmm was thinking about pulling the trigger on the RIPP supercharger I'm going to have to rethink/justify the extra cost.

Also curious why this would not void the warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
carolreichert likes this.
longhorn262 is offline  
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 08:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: MA
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn262 View Post
Hmm was thinking about pulling the trigger on the RIPP supercharger I'm going to have to rethink/justify the extra cost.

Also curious why this would not void the warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I'm curious about the warranty as well and if the dealership will actually install it.

How many hours/how much is the install?

Also, during "normal" driving, is it true that the supercharger will provide 4-5 mpg over the stock V6?

Last edited by BenDmax; 01-25-2017 at 08:04 PM.
BenDmax is offline  
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor
 
Mallett Performance Cars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NC
Posts: 34
Basically we have overlapping warranties. The full GM warranty still applies unless the problem is directly related to the supercharger. In that case, our warranty covers you.

Most of our installs have been dealers. We estimate 10-12 hours at the dealership and that's been pretty accurate. You can install it yourself if you have a decent tool set. The kit comes with very detailed instructions in a full-color manual and of course our full support if you have questions. We also do installations here at our shop. We charge $1300 (edit: $1200) and it'll be done second day.

CARB certified the kit at 4.3mpg better than stock, so that's the most scientific measurement I can give you. As far as "normal" driving... man, we're not normal! Our customers do report better mileage though.

Last edited by Mallett Performance Cars; 01-27-2017 at 12:55 PM. Reason: price
Mallett Performance Cars is online now  
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 03:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: MA
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallett Performance Cars View Post
Basically we have overlapping warranties. The full GM warranty still applies unless the problem is directly related to the supercharger. In that case, our warranty covers you.

Most of our installs have been dealers. We estimate 10-12 hours at the dealership and that's been pretty accurate. You can install it yourself if you have a decent tool set. The kit comes with very detailed instructions in a full-color manual and of course our full support if you have questions. We also do installations here at our shop. We charge $1300 and it'll be done second day.

CARB certified the kit at 4.3mpg better than stock, so that's the most scientific measurement I can give you. As far as "normal" driving... man, we're not normal! Our customers do report better mileage though.

Thank you for the very fast and detailed reply. It helps a guy like me who is thinking hard on getting a truck with one of your superchargers installed.

Warranty is good to have and it is also good to know that both warranties would cover anything, for whatever period of time they would be good for, just in case.

It is quite surprising to me that the actual Chevy or GMC dealers would install something like this but, on the flip side, what it says to me is that they trust the unit. $1,300 is not a bad price and one that I would consider paying as I'm not sure I'd want to do it myself although, when I think about it, a brand new motor along with a brand new supercharger along with tried and true instructions, I'm sure I could do it and am thinking about it now over the Duramax.

4.3 mpg is 4.3 mpg and if CARB has certified it, I would take that as an increase in 4.3 mpg over both city and highway using the methods that they use to determine the mpg.

Just thinking out loud here: If the Duramax is a $4,000+ upgrade, and with the supercharger kit $6,900, that would be $2,000 more, plus install if I wanted it done by someone other than myself, hmmmmmm, more HP and TQ? Hmmmmmmmmm . . .
BenDmax is offline  
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor
 
Mallett Performance Cars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NC
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDmax View Post
Thank you for the very fast and detailed reply. It helps a guy like me who is thinking hard on getting a truck with one of your superchargers installed.

Warranty is good to have and it is also good to know that both warranties would cover anything, for whatever period of time they would be good for, just in case.

It is quite surprising to me that the actual Chevy or GMC dealers would install something like this but, on the flip side, what it says to me is that they trust the unit. $1,300 is not a bad price and one that I would consider paying as I'm not sure I'd want to do it myself although, when I think about it, a brand new motor along with a brand new supercharger along with tried and true instructions, I'm sure I could do it and am thinking about it now over the Duramax.

4.3 mpg is 4.3 mpg and if CARB has certified it, I would take that as an increase in 4.3 mpg over both city and highway using the methods that they use to determine the mpg.

Just thinking out loud here: If the Duramax is a $4,000+ upgrade, and with the supercharger kit $6,900, that would be $2,000 more, plus install if I wanted it done by someone other than myself, hmmmmmm, more HP and TQ? Hmmmmmmmmm . . .
Sure thing, here to help... I actually feel a little bad that I'm underselling the kit. I can only say so much on a public forum. If anyone is even considering the kit, you owe it to yourself to call us and talk about it. I want you to have all the information you can have.

We have a number of dealers doing installs for their inventory and for customers. Feedback has been really positive there. We've also picked up trucks from dealers, had guys trailer their trucks in, drive their trucks in... We've even had mechanics bring their personal trucks in. It's just a nice touch to have it installed by the designers (for $1200, I typed that wrong earlier). That said, the kit was designed for DIY installation. The instructions are very thorough and we're here to help if there's any confusion. No crazy tools required, no hacking up your truck... It just takes a little longer.

For someone considering diesel, another blower, another truck... I just wish you could drive one. I honestly can't imagine driving our Colo without it. I don't care if it's diesel, a vortech unit, whatever. The throttle response makes the truck and you can't get it with anything less.

By the way, for you adventurous guys, we do offer more... Let's call it "stage 2" 400rwhp, "stage 3" 600rwhp...
Mallett Performance Cars is online now  
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 03:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 44
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallett Performance Cars View Post
By the way, for you adventurous guys, we do offer more... Let's call it "stage 2" 400rwhp, "stage 3" 600rwhp...

Oh man... I bought this truck and sold my G8 GT to get away from this kind of stuff. lol you're bringing me right back to it.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
24v likes this.

2016 Chevrolet Colorado Z71
2016 Subaru Crosstrek Premium
1985 Chevrolet El Camino
1985 Porsche 944

markpetersonii is offline  
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 02:28 PM
Senior Member
 
cire808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 290
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallett Performance Cars View Post
By the way, for you adventurous guys, we do offer more... Let's call it "stage 2" 400rwhp, "stage 3" 600rwhp...
If only my funds allowed me to

2016 Chevy Colorado LT/Silver Ice Metallic/3.6L DOHC V6/LT Convenience Package/Black Bowtie Emblems/AMP Research PowerSteps/Access TonnoSport Cover/Access Bed Mat/Spray Bedliner/Carbon Fiber Wrap Interior Trims/Stubby Jr/Z71 Grille Swap/BajaKits UCA/Kings 2.5 Coilover Shocks/ProComp 1" Rear Blocks/20x9 Fuel Off-Road Triton/275.55.20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2

cire808 is offline  
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor
 
Mallett Performance Cars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NC
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpetersonii View Post
Oh man... I bought this truck and sold my G8 GT to get away from this kind of stuff. lol you're bringing me right back to it.
You've gotta drive one. It doesn't leave you wanting more. I feel like the TVS blower makes the truck exactly what it should be. No more waiting on the motor or trans. You can cruise around in comfort and still embarrass some mustangs when you feel like it.

Scary fast is our bread and butter though so we came prepared...
markpetersonii likes this.
Mallett Performance Cars is online now  
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:25 AM
ADMIN

 
Blue15ColoradoLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sayreville, NJ
Posts: 2,316
Garage
If my new factory built car didn't have a supercharger already installed (once I get it) then I definitely would be wanting one of these.

Only allowed 1 supercharged vehicle in the house

2015 Laser Blue Colorado LT
CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
LED light bar - 32"
HID headlights
LED fog lights
LED high beams
LED reverse lights
LED license plate lights
LED visor lights
LED dome lights
LED switchback front turn signal lights
LED cargo light turn signal conversion
LED bed lights
LED tail lights
LED sidemarkers
Canyon swapped tail lights
Red painted calipers
Supermod ported throttle body
Silver metallic rally stripes
Super Skidz skid plate
Volant CAI

Have a Colorado but want Canyon tail lights? Or vice versa CLICK HERE

***NOTE***
SITE RULES

Blue15ColoradoLT is online now  
post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor
 
Mallett Performance Cars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NC
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue15ColoradoLT View Post
If my new factory built car didn't have a supercharger already installed (once I get it) then I definitely would be wanting one of these.

Only allowed 1 supercharged vehicle in the house
Convince the wife that the truck needs bigger, cooler tires and then make her drive the thing... That'll get her on board.

What are you getting?
Mallett Performance Cars is online now  
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:53 AM
ADMIN

 
Blue15ColoradoLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sayreville, NJ
Posts: 2,316
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallett Performance Cars View Post
Convince the wife that the truck needs bigger, cooler tires and then make her drive the thing... That'll get her on board.

What are you getting?
Camaro ZL1
Hyper Blue Metallic
A10, PDR, NAV, Premium floor mats
markpetersonii likes this.

2015 Laser Blue Colorado LT
CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
LED light bar - 32"
HID headlights
LED fog lights
LED high beams
LED reverse lights
LED license plate lights
LED visor lights
LED dome lights
LED switchback front turn signal lights
LED cargo light turn signal conversion
LED bed lights
LED tail lights
LED sidemarkers
Canyon swapped tail lights
Red painted calipers
Supermod ported throttle body
Silver metallic rally stripes
Super Skidz skid plate
Volant CAI

Have a Colorado but want Canyon tail lights? Or vice versa CLICK HERE

***NOTE***
SITE RULES

Blue15ColoradoLT is online now  
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 12:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 44
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallett Performance Cars View Post
You've gotta drive one. It doesn't leave you wanting more. I feel like the TVS blower makes the truck exactly what it should be. No more waiting on the motor or trans. You can cruise around in comfort and still embarrass some mustangs when you feel like it.

Scary fast is our bread and butter though so we came prepared...


Hahaha I bet!

I'm in New Bern, NC -- about 4.5 hours from you guys. Maybe I'll have to swing by there, before I get out of the Marine Corps, this year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Chevrolet Colorado Z71
2016 Subaru Crosstrek Premium
1985 Chevrolet El Camino
1985 Porsche 944

markpetersonii is offline  
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Site Sponsor
 
Mallett Performance Cars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NC
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpetersonii View Post
I'm in New Bern, NC -- about 4.5 hours from you guys. Maybe I'll have to swing by there, before I get out of the Marine Corps, this year.
Come by! Call ahead if you're coming from the coast but we're usually here. If you wanted a supercharger installed you can drive in one morning and drive out the next day. No pressure though, we like showing our stuff off.

Everyone on here keeps saying they'll come by and no one has yet. I want to see their reactions in person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue15ColoradoLT View Post
Camaro ZL1
Hyper Blue Metallic
A10, PDR, NAV, Premium floor mats
We'll do blowers on both... we can do 750 rear wheel safe and easy on the ZL1.
markpetersonii likes this.
Mallett Performance Cars is online now  
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 09:48 AM
Member
 
carolreichert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NC
Posts: 33
That's great to hear!!!!
carolreichert is offline  
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:37 AM
Member
 
carolreichert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NC
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 195770 View Post
I have had the Mallett Supercharger Kit 3.6L since August 2016 not one problem yet. The installation took a day and another half day for tidying up. I opted for GM performance Air Box and large cooling tank with my kit. This kit is everything they claim it to be. I didn't buy this SC to drag race around town with I tow a 7000 lb. Travel trailer pretty often and occasionally Trailers for work although stock the Colorado Z71 was quite capable I preferred a little more performance. The only concern I had after install was the shifting first to second gear was very harsh, Took the truck out for a very spirited drive and has been perfect every since. Pulling 7000 mpg is around 12. No load mpg is like stock or a little better. I'm sure there will be haters but I'm happy.
That is so great!
CanyonITHAULS likes this.
carolreichert is offline  
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:43 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 13
Send a message via AIM to BaznastyDave Send a message via MSN to BaznastyDave
So does the kit come with adapters to use our factory air box? It looks like the factory tubing and throttle body is smaller than the intake tube on the blower. When is a bigger throttle body and intake tube from the air filter/box needed? Or useful I guess.

I see that on your shop truck you have upgraded the size of the intake pipe and throttle body.

From supercharged vehicles I've had in the past I don't like the intake tube being different sizes (as in being funneled up or down) from the filter to the intake/blower. I like that your shop truck has a larger and more consistent piping and throttle body from filter to blower.
BaznastyDave is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome