To 2017 V6 owners, are they a worthy upgrade? - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jso902 View Post
For a 5 grand hit, 500 dollars on a tune is cheaper. Plus you'll have 4500 towards your own personal drive train warranty that doesn't expire. Or you can go crazy, get PD blower and custom tuning with no warranty.

Going diesel is a completely different story.
How much of a Torque increase do these tunes usually provide...totally ignorant about tunes.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastStarr68 View Post
I only have a little over 500 miles on mine and getting between 19-20 mostly short trip low speed miles.
Nice! I only have had one fillup so far and it worked out to 20.9 mpg. I am just under 500 miles right now, and this second tank I expect to do a little better. I run an average speed per tank of around 30-35 mph.

post #23 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:16 PM

Garage
This motor has enough torque and horsepower. Most of us arent chasing more hp at 6000rpm. Most people are dissatisfied with shift points.

The programming prefers maximum mpg at the cost of some power sagging and throttle position slush. People that have a heavier foot won't realize it because you stomp and go.

When I drive uphill and the engine wants to save gas by holding 800 rpm it boggles and shudders. By the time I push down far enough, it upshifts 2-3 gears. Throwing the truck forward with the sudden surge in torque/hp
bake82 and Whip8888 like this.

post #24 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
This motor has enough torque and horsepower. Most of us arent chasing more hp at 6000rpm. Most people are dissatisfied with shift points.

The programming prefers maximum mpg at the cost of some power sagging and throttle position slush. People that have a heavier foot won't realize it because you stomp and go.

When I drive uphill and the engine wants to save gas by holding 800 rpm it boggles and shudders. By the time I push down far enough, it upshifts 2-3 gears. Throwing the truck forward with the sudden surge in torque/hp

exactly! throw in 160 degree hairpins with washboards and it almost just stops right in the middle of the corner like you hit the brake. I've trained myself to use manual select shift but it would be nice if the truck just shifted properly.

The 2017 has my eye but only because of the ZR2 with increased clearance and lockers. A lift kit on mine could rectify the clearance issue but I can't get lockers yet. By the time I kit mine out with after market stuff it's getting dangerously close to trade in time.

2016 Colorado Z71 Trail Boss Red Rock Metallic
post #25 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFhunter View Post
exactly! throw in 160 degree hairpins with washboards and it almost just stops right in the middle of the corner like you hit the brake. I've trained myself to use manual select shift but it would be nice if the truck just shifted properly.

The 2017 has my eye but only because of the ZR2 with increased clearance and lockers. A lift kit on mine could rectify the clearance issue but I can't get lockers yet. By the time I kit mine out with after market stuff it's getting dangerously close to trade in time.
Tow mode helps. And I'm stupid for hating to have to click on this when I'm weaving through hairpins and having to click out when I'm at a straightaway.
post #26 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
I only have a little over 500 miles on mine and getting between 19-20 mostly short trip low speed miles.
I've got about 1650 on mine and according to the DIC I've been getting 21.5 (mainly in town, one 400 mile road trip) and according to my calculations, my average is about 19.5. I noticed that in the cold weather (<32F) my DIC could barely get me 19.0 now that it is warmer (70F+) my DIC is showing 20.5. So I'm thinking cold weather has an adverse affect. Now in Texas it normally doesn't stay below freezing for more than 36 hours, so I'm not that worried.

2017 GMC Canyon SLT V6 2WD Crew Cab Short Box
post #27 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post
Quote:
I've got about 1650 on mine and according to the DIC I've been getting 21.5 (mainly in town, one 400 mile road trip) and according to my calculations, my average is about 19.5. I noticed that in the cold weather (&lt;32F) my DIC could barely get me 19.0 now that it is warmer (70F+) my DIC is showing 20.5. So I'm thinking cold weather has an adverse affect. Now in Texas it normally doesn't stay below freezing for more than 36 hours, so I'm not that worried.
Well...400 miles is almost 25% of your total mileage...So that would bring it up quite a bit. If I get between 19-20 on my daily driving which will average 30-35 mph...I will take it...That is pretty good for a big heavy truck.
post #28 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:17 PM

Garage
I always wanted the new diesel just for the hell of it but didn't get it after reading all of the common issues with modern day diesels. For some reason I can't get the thought out of my head for wanting the diesel. Truthfully I have absolutely no need for a diesel.

That being said, I put down $6k when I bought my 16 so trading in I would probably break even if not have a tiny bit of equity.

The ONE big problem is the damn blue interior lighting! I couldn't do it for that reason alone lol.

2016 GMC Canyon SLT Cyber Grey, 4" MaxTrac lift with 2" RC level kit, Nitto Crosstek 275/70/18's, 2" Billet Spacers, LED's throughout, Iron Cross steps, Line-X, Stubby Jr, GMC All Weather floor mats, Bull Rings x9, DRL harness, OPT7 LED lows and fogs
post #29 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
How much of a Torque increase do these tunes usually provide...totally ignorant about tunes.
Nothing remotely close to what a diesel will give you! LOL! Normally between 10-20 ft lbs of torque depending upon the engine, fuel octane and aggressiveness of the tune.

Paul
2016 Colorado LT, Ext Cab
2.5L 4 Banger
LT Convenience Package
Lund Bed Extender
Chevy Drop-in Bedliner
Off Road Side Steps
Gator SR1 Tonneau
WeatherTech Mud Flaps
WeatherTech Vent Visors
post #30 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJac963 View Post
I always wanted the new diesel just for the hell of it but didn't get it after reading all of the common issues with modern day diesels. For some reason I can't get the thought out of my head for wanting the diesel. Truthfully I have absolutely no need for a diesel.

That being said, I put down $6k when I bought my 16 so trading in I would probably break even if not have a tiny bit of equity.

The ONE big problem is the damn blue interior lighting! I couldn't do it for that reason alone lol.
Blue interior lighting? Colorado?
post #31 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Blue interior lighting? Colorado?
...and Canyon for 2017.

2017 GMC Canyon SLT V6 2WD Crew Cab Short Box
post #32 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Will there be/is there anyway to disable the AFM?

2017 Graphite Metallic Z71 Colorado Crew Cab
3.6L 8sp auto 4x4 with Locking Rear Diff
American Tonneau Tri-Fold Tonno Cover
Bed Rug
Lund 5" Oval Stainless Side Steps
WeatherTech Splash Guards
Finish protected by Dodo Juice, Chemical Guys, McKee's 37, & Turtle Wax

Last edited by KY Red Rock; 01-12-2017 at 03:49 AM.
post #33 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFhunter View Post
The 2017 has my eye but only because of the ZR2 with increased clearance and lockers
Now you're talkin'......

I don't think the new engine & tranny would be worth a change....IMO anyway.

But if you've wanted to change up for a diesel..... And/OR if you're into offroading, the ZR2 has enough goodies to make it worth it. Front locker? Toyota can't even say that.

Besides...from what I'm seeing, the aftermarket world hasn't come out with any lockers or even new gearsets yet. That's gotta be depressing for all you guys that have put bigger tires on and can't change the gears. It'll probably take a couple years for that to catch up once they see there's a demand for it.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #34 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 07:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Red Rock View Post
There will probably be, once tuners get the new platform figured out. But honestly, it's working pretty seamlessly ATM, for me to look into that.
KY Red Rock likes this.
post #35 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Red Rock View Post
Honestly you will not know you have it...unless you pul up the DIC screen that will show you when it switched, which is very seldom. It pretty much only goes to v4 when you are breaking to come to a stop or coasting.
KY Red Rock likes this.

post #36 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:47 AM

I did exactly that. Traded my 16 WT for a 17 LT. All it took was one test drive. New 8 speed makes the truck. Shift points are spot on. If you're thinking about it I wouldn't hesitate. These things depreciate pretty quick.
KY Red Rock likes this.

2017 Colorado LT V6 Crew Cab
Cyber Grey Metallc

Last edited by USMC341; 01-12-2017 at 08:50 AM.
post #37 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rock View Post
Nothing remotely close to what a diesel will give you! LOL! Normally between 10-20 ft lbs of torque depending upon the engine, fuel octane and aggressiveness of the tune.
Yeah for sure...that Torque comes in handing when you are pulling something. If I had a diesel, I think I would have to have a tune to increase the HP. Coming from a Turbo car I love the low end grunt...but without adequate HP it takes forever to get up to speed. That would drive me crazy seeing that speedo taking that long just to reach 60 MPH.

post #38 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 05:06 AM

Garage
Not sure this applies as I went from a 2016 4cyl, 6speed auto to a 17, v6, 8 speed, but it makes a world of difference, driveability wise.
post #39 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 09:25 AM

Garage
When I bought my 2016 V6 I ordered it from the factory. I ordered mine so late I could have chosen between a 16 or a 17 with only a couple of weeks difference in delivery.
The reason I went with the 16 is that once my warranty expires I will be doing all maintenance and repairs on my truck and I was truly worried about having to replace the lifters prematurely because of the AFM. (I know it's better than it used to be)
As for the transmission problems. Yes I was on board the hate train the first time my truck had no clue what gear it should be in when I had to go up a hill or feeling like I had to hit 5000 rpm to pass another car. but once my truck hit about 3000 kms it all kind of went away.
Perhaps I have gotten used to how the throttle responds to my foot plus with out even thinking about it my foot knows where the sweet spot is on the pedal to get the perfect down shifts.
All in all I love this truck so much I would leave my wife for it.

At the end of the day YOU'RE driving it and it's YOUR money. I hope what ever decision you make works out for you.
KY Red Rock likes this.

2016 Colorado Crew Cab Long Box
2013 Fusion SE 2.0L Eco Boost
1988 Firebird Formula
post #40 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 12:03 PM

IMHO a worthy upgrade is a diesel Canyon or Colorado.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode