To 2017 V6 owners, are they a worthy upgrade? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

To 2017 V6 owners, are they a worthy upgrade?

As you can see I have a 2016 LT, are the new upgrades worth trading for, (since I've not been completely happy) if I don't lose my shirt? Thanks!

2016 Red Rock Metallic LT Colorado Crew Cab
3.6L 4x4 Tow package / Locking Rear Diff
Bose System/No Nav
American Tonneau Tri-Fold Tonno Cover
Bed Rug
Lund 5" Oval Stainless Side Steps
WeatherTech Splash Guards,
Finish protected by Chemical Guys
Production date 04/07/16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:19 AM

You might want to put what you don't like about your current truck, could help with giving you some input.

The main difference is the transmission...
KY Red Rock likes this.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Red Rock View Post
As you can see I have a 2016 LT, are the new upgrades worth trading for, (since I've not been completely happy) if I don't lose my shirt? Thanks!
I think you answered your own question......

If you have to ask ...then, you don't WANT it bad enough and its probably not worth the financial hit.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:18 AM

Garage
It seems a lot of the issues with the 2016 V6 and 6 speed transmission have been fixed by aftermarket tuners like BNR. Investing in an aftermarket tune may be more economical that trading after only one year of ownership.

But, if there are other issues you are not happy with, a new truck may or may not satisfy your needs. It doesn't seem much other than the engine and transmission in the V6 models has changed, or at least not enough to justify the hit you're probably going to take if you trade. Of course you can always go to your local dealer and see what exactly that hit will be and make you decision based on that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KY Red Rock likes this.

Paul
2016 Colorado LT, Ext Cab
2.5L 4 Banger
LT Convenience Package
Lund Bed Extender
Chevy Drop-in Bedliner
Off Road Side Steps
Gator SR1 Tonneau
WeatherTech Mud Flaps
WeatherTech Vent Visors
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:39 AM

Garage
I picked up my 2017 Colorado on Dec 23. This time I have nav. I traded my 15 Colorado in. I have always loved the 15 Colorado, but when I heard about the new engine and tranny, I had to go for it. For me, it's much more drive-able. The first gear really help to get going, and it always seems to know the right gear to be in. There is also an updated DIC and a few more small updates here and there. I also like the new auto 4wd.
RatRacer and KY Red Rock like this.

2017 Colorado Z71 short box in red
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:02 AM

My 2016 doesnt seem to have the same issues as the guys here are reporting (Aug 2016 manufacturing date). How come the problem is inconsistent?

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6L V6 4WD Crew Cab Short Box
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mummel View Post
My 2016 doesnt seem to have the same issues as the guys here are reporting (Aug 2016 manufacturing date). How come the problem is inconsistent?
More than likely how you drive it. It sounds to me like it only occurs in certain situations. Had similar issues with our 2013 Pathfinder when we first got it. A software update eventually fixed it but it does seem like the factory updates did fix it for most on the twins and others had tunes fix it.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:09 AM

I have a 2016 Canyon 2.5 and it has not had any sort of transmission issues even though it is running the same transmission as the V6 truck. Makes me think it has to be a software issue.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummel View Post
I think it has a lot to do with driving styles. For some people they don't really notice it. For others like me I notice it but have adapted well to the trucks drive train behavior and it performs well for me and doesn't bother me at all. For others however it simply does not work well with the way they drive.

2016 GMC Canyon EC all Terrain
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:16 AM

I know I'm biased, but a jump to the 17 for the gas engine wouldn't be worth what I would have to guess is going to be a significant financial hit. If you plan to keep it for ~7 years... maybe....but for me the diesel is great fit with the 6speed transmission so far.

I know that's not apples to apples, but I think you should hold onto a few more months and see what certified used 17's come available if you really want a 17. If not give another year of payments to chop into the depreciation.

Last edited by 16_MidnightRider; 01-11-2017 at 11:22 AM.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:18 AM

There's also a couple of nice options, imo, on the 2017 that may be worth the upgrade to you like the addition on auto4wd on the Colorado, integrated brake control for v6 and the obvious new engine and 8-speed tranny.

For some, those might be worthwhile changes.

Edit: TS is also asking specifically about v6...
KY Red Rock likes this.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Pro-Truck Sport RHA shocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo TruXport roll-up tonneau, Bull rings, SilverStar, Osram Zevo LED, Westin Pro Traxx steps, Fog Lights w/JDMastar LED, Rear LED pods, Husky Liner floor mats, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:20 AM

Garage
Owning a '15 V6 and '17 V6, the '17 stock drive train is much more to my liking than the '15. The transmission,throttle response, and torque management all seem to work better together for a much smoother drive. This is what I had expected it to be like with the '15, coming from a '12 Camaro with the LFX/6L50. The 8 speed is a plus, and the LGZ works so well with it, that I can barely detect the AFM (so far).

Last edited by RatRacer; 01-11-2017 at 12:18 PM.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:54 AM

Garage
To be honest I have never driven the 15 or 16. When I was searching for my truck I was going to get a 16 because they were giving better deals on them. The two dealerships I went to first had 16s that I liked, but I would not test drive them until they made me a trade in offer. One dealership would not even make me an offer on it because it did not have a clean carfax...rear ended 3 weeks after i bought it. The 2nd dealership offered me 4 grand less than what I owed on it. Both of those dealerships asked me to take a test drive anyway but I refused, because I did not want to drive a truck I could not purchase. After that I was just going to give up and run the wheels off the car and forget about getting a truck, but another dealership 30 miles away kept emailing me to come up and let them look at my car and see if they could get me in a truck I wanted. I reluctantly drove up there fully expecting to drive back home disappointed again. To my surprise they offered me $8000 more for my car than the previous dealership. I was really kind of floored. They only had one Canyon on the lot and it was a 2017 All Terrain, which is the Trim I wanted and was going to buy at the other two dealerships, this one had the added bonus of also having the All Terrain X package. It had more goodies and a higher MSRP than I was looking for, but my wife and I both agreed, we could not look a gift horse in the mouth and do a deal to get out from underneath a car that was damaged goods. It gave me a $4000 down payment which was nice. I did not get a great deal on the truck, only $1500 off MSRP, but no other dealer was going to give me what I got on that damaged car...which was pristine by the way..fully repaired to factory spec...but still no clean carfax. I am sure the dealership will not make any money on that car and may lose a little, but they made out pretty good on the Truck. Sorry for getting off track on topic, but to answer your question. I would not trade in a one year old car in good running condition that has not been in an accident on a new one. That is a financial hit that is not necessary. My issue was different because I was dealing with a car that had lost allot of its value and was only going to get worse, it only had 11000 miles on it. Then again it is only money and you can't take it with you...do what makes you happy if it doesn't cause you financial hardship. Doing what makes financial sense is not always the right choice!
RatRacer, Ben F and KY Red Rock like this.

Last edited by BeastStarr68; 01-11-2017 at 12:00 PM.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

2016 Red Rock Metallic LT Colorado Crew Cab
3.6L 4x4 Tow package / Locking Rear Diff
Bose System/No Nav
American Tonneau Tri-Fold Tonno Cover
Bed Rug
Lund 5" Oval Stainless Side Steps
WeatherTech Splash Guards,
Finish protected by Chemical Guys
Production date 04/07/16
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:51 PM

I'm not a brand loyalist so if I were unhappy enough with my 2015 Canyon that I wanted to trade it already, I'd be waiting to see what the new Ranger brings to the table in 2018...
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:55 PM

A diesel would be a worthy upgrade.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:29 PM

Garage
I only test drove the 2016's so my actual use of them is limited. I am however very happy with the 2017 engine and transmission. The 17 does feel faster since the transmission keeps it in the sweet spot. Fuel mileage is impressive as well, although more time will tell if it stays that way.
KY Red Rock likes this.

post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigforty View Post
I only test drove the 2016's so my actual use of them is limited. I am however very happy with the 2017 engine and transmission. The 17 does feel faster since the transmission keeps it in the sweet spot. Fuel mileage is impressive as well, although more time will tell if it stays that way.
I only have a little over 500 miles on mine and getting between 19-20 mostly short trip low speed miles.

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista View Post
A diesel would be a worthy upgrade.
If he wanted a diesel he probably would have bought one when he got his 2016. There are even fewer changes on 17 diesel than there is on the 17 V6.
KY Red Rock likes this.

Last edited by BeastStarr68; 01-11-2017 at 04:58 PM.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:51 PM

Garage
For a 5 grand hit, 500 dollars on a tune is cheaper. Plus you'll have 4500 towards your own personal drive train warranty that doesn't expire. Or you can go crazy and get a PD blower + custom tuning with no warranty.

Going diesel is a completely different story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode