If the Duramax/diesel were not an option, would you have a twin? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

If the Duramax/diesel were not an option, would you have a twin?

I am probably going to buy a Denali with a Duramax. VW is probably going to buyback my 3.0L V6 TDI and while it is an awesome motor/truck/SUV, the buyback offer is just too good to refuse.

I had a 2004 Tundra 4.7L 4x4 access cab but had to trade it for something with a bigger back seat for my two kids and the Denali will fit the bill once I get my check from VW but I wonder, how many of you would not have bought a twin if it were not available with the 2.8L Duramax?

I know I would not consider the truck without the diesel motor. Now that I've been rolling coal, I can't go back to a gas motor with no torque. I think I can live with the 9.2 0-60 mph and 16.4 1/4 mile time but I will love the 20/28 mpg as that is what my TDI gets now, and to have the 7,600 lb tow capability as I have a nearly identical 7,700 tow cap. now.

Was the diesel motor a must have for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:17 PM

Thats why I bought it... and I am very happy with it.

2016 Colorado Duramax LT CyberGray Longbox 4WD
post #3 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:26 PM

Garage
Well...I am sure this post is geared toward just the diesel owners...but my answer is yes since I purchased one. I am sure most folks that have the diesel will probably say no. Folks purchase vehicles that check all the boxes for them. If you tow allot the diesel is the obvious choice. It is going to get significantly better gas milage over all and will really show its MPG advantages towing. I plan on towing with my V6, but it will only be a few times a year most likely. I fully expect to get crappy milage towing when I do. However this is my daily driver. It has more HP that the 5.6 L V-8 Titan I purchased in 2004. It is really quick, not EcoBoost quick, but pretty quick for a truck. That was one of my check boxes. I came from a BMW coupe that did a 4.9 second 0-60. Going to a diesel that takes twice as long to get to that speed was not appealing to me at all. The V6 still gets really good gas milage for a truck. My Titan got about 12 in normal driving, rev it up to hear that sweet V-8 and you could get into single digits pretty quickly. So the V6 does have its own appeal.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic

post #4 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastStarr68 View Post
Well...I am sure this post is geared toward just the diesel owners...but my answer is yes since I purchased one. I am sure most folks that have the diesel will probably say no. Folks purchase vehicles that check all the boxes for them. If you tow allot the diesel is the obvious choice. It is going to get significantly better gas milage over all and will really show its MPG advantages towing. I plan on towing with my V6, but it will only be a few times a year most likely. I fully expect to get crappy milage towing when I do. However this is my daily driver. It has more HP that the 5.6 L V-8 Titan I purchased in 2004. It is really quick, not EcoBoost quick, but pretty quick for a truck. That was one of my check boxes. I came from a BMW coupe that did a 4.9 second 0-60. Going to a diesel that takes twice as long to get to that speed was not appealing to me at all. The V6 still gets really good gas milage for a truck. My Titan got about 12 in normal driving, rev it up to hear that sweet V-8 and you could get into single digits pretty quickly. So the V6 does have its own appeal.
Interesting about how our choices in vehicles keeps getting slower and slower.

I had a 2001 Corvette. When my daughter/second child was on the way I realized I could not keep the car so got a 2008 G8 GT 6.0L V8 with the A6, 4-door Corvette. Wife never liked it and then I needed a bigger tow vehicle for the boat, 2012 Touareg TDI, 0-60 7.2 seconds. I don't mind slowing down as I think, think, I got the "fast car phase" over with, mostly, but also realize that I just don't romp the pedal as much as I used to for many reasons.

I have resigned myself that I'll be ok with a much slower truck as I have two kids, 5 and 7 and don't need to drive around at insane speeds anymore although cruising the highways at 10-15 mph over still happens.
I have given thought to the V6 though.
post #5 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:43 PM

Yes - absolutely. In fact I did! In fact, a lot of people have as the diesel is a small fraction of production - what 10% maybe?

So actually 90% of the twins buyers would buy one if the duramax wasn't an option!

If I really cared about towing a heavy load, say over 5Klbs for long distances, I would not use a mid-sized truck, I would not even use a half-ton - I would be in a 3/4t diesel crew cab truck with a long wheelbase - heavy, stable, etc.

I didn't buy the Colorado to tow - I bought it to haul stuff, get me through the snow, do some light off-roading for recreation, and wanted something more useable for driving around town dealing with tight parking lots and something I could park in the garage and that did OK on gas. I am getting 19mpg over my first 10K miles of use in the first year of ownership which is perfectly acceptable to me. I've had full sized trucks and SUV's that are lucky to break into the 14's average in similar driving. Sure - I might get 20-25% better MPG with a duramax in a twin. But gas is pretty cheap, so it doesn't make any economic sense to spend $5K more for that option. At current gas prices the yearly fuel savings would be about $300 in my case. That's more than 10 years to break-even - sure, you could argue depreciation values or whatever may help. Or they may not. Who knows? Who cares? Not me. Gas motor has plenty of power for my needs - sure, need to rev it more, but it runs about 7flat 0-60 which is 2 seconds faster than a duramax. No issues with the powertrain in this truck. When I want to have fun I jump in my SS Camaro Convertible with a 455hp LT1 that gets 28mpg on the highway and knocks off the 0-60 in 4 seconds!
CrashFix likes this.

Last edited by c4racer; 01-11-2017 at 12:47 PM.
post #6 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDmax View Post
Interesting about how our choices in vehicles keeps getting slower and slower.

who we? Speak for yourself! HA! Not me - I park a M5 and SS Camaro next to my Colorado!
post #7 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:56 PM

I only bought this truck for the diesel. I would have kept my paid off Trailblazer SS and been quite content, but the diesel option alone cost me an entire new truck.

2016 CCSB Duramax - 226hp/458tq
Tuned by Innovative Diesel

post #8 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:09 PM

Garage
Possibly.... I would had have to had been in a situation where I desperately needed to buy a new truck.

When I started thinking about downsizing from a F/S 2003 Sierra I considered a Taco.... for about 10 minutes.

Then I considered the twins. I heard about the diesel, got real excited, then saw it was a 4cyl. Then I pretty much tossed it aside...... til I saw the specs.

The Diesel numbers were the deal maker.

Pulls the boat (5k) fine and I can tow behind the rv.

No regrets at all!

2016 Canyon SLT 2.8 Duramax 4x4 SBCC White
post #9 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
who we? Speak for yourself! HA! Not me - I park a M5 and SS Camaro next to my Colorado!
Yes, if I could afforded to keep my Beemer and buy the truck too I would have held onto it. It was allot of fun to drive despite being a Turbo.

post #10 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:57 PM

Nope! I test drove a V6 ext cab Canyon. Unless I was constantly on the throttle, acceleration was anemic. Even at highway speeds it was marginal.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #11 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:11 PM

Would have stuck with Toyota and just got a Taco if the Dmax wasn't an option.
Buckland likes this.
post #12 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:13 PM

Count me as one who waited for the Duramax. I waited a number of years for Toyota to bring the D4D to the tacoma. Had GMC not released the duramax it is 50/50 if I would have waited for the 2018 F150 or just gone with the gas tacoma.
I already own a Chevy Traverse with the very similar 3.6 V6 and while it is a great family vehicle and we love it if it was my daily driver I would be very frustrated with the lack of low down torque.

2016 White Canyon SLT Coca Dune Duramax CCSB
8/16 Build
Westin Pro Traxx 4
Weathertech Mud Flaps
Access Tonneau Cover
post #13 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:26 PM

Garage
I started to consider these trucks because of the Duramax. I had a VW TDI Passat, that was being sold back to VW as part of the emissions settlement. I ended up test driving the Colorado diesel and gas v6 as well as the Taco. From those drives, the GM truck was the ideal fit for me. I also found out I did not like how the diesel drove compared to the gas engine.

post #14 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:33 PM

Not a chance. The diesel was the only choice I would consider.
Devilmonkey likes this.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built and shipped 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16

Last edited by 404 Not Found; 01-11-2017 at 06:49 PM.
post #15 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:34 PM

A majority of twin owners, even on here, don't have a diesel.....

Clearly the diesel isn't the only thing attracting people to the truck.
UnlimitedMatt and CrashFix like this.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #16 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:34 PM

Bought my Canyon with the Duramax just over a month ago. I too, went with this truck because of the diesel option. For me personally there may have been different vehicle options that would have suited my needs maybe a little better if the diesel was not an option.

That said, I absolutely love the truck. The SLT is a great trim, it's comfortable, has the MPG and towing capabilities I like. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it is to park and navigate through the city.

I may have drifted away from the original question but yes, the diesel motor was a must have for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #17 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:38 PM

Garage
Diesel is the only reason I reconsidered the Colorado, my original plan was to get a Taco. The Taco just didn't get the Mpg I needed..

lqdchkn likes this.
post #18 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista View Post
Nope! I test drove a V6 ext cab Canyon. Unless I was constantly on the throttle, acceleration was anemic. Even at highway speeds it was marginal.
You drove the 6 speed. The 8 speed is very quick for a truck. If you pulled right behind me on a freeway on ramp...I would be well up the interstate before you got off the ramp

post #19 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:39 PM

VW bought back my Golf TDI and I sold my Ranger to switch to 1 car that I could haul with AND put the kids in AND still have decent MPGs and city parking.

If there was no diesel I'd be in a Mazda 3 by day and my Ranger every weekend... Much to my wife's chagrin :)

post #20 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to haulingnothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDmax View Post
I have given thought to the V6 though.
You should test drive both back to back, if you haven't already. The tow ratings are almost identical, so you're free to be "emotional" about it and decide based on your driving impressions.

2016 Colorado - 2WD Extended Cab LT V6 - Laser Blue - Shoreline Edition

Plasti-Dipped badges - Air dam delete - DRL switch mod - OPT7 LED low beams - Moroso catch can - Pedal Commander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode