Back Up Camera - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:13 PM

I just ordered a bottle of Rainx plastic on ebay. I am among those who wipe the lens with a finger or kleenex when walking by as here in E Washington State it does tend to snow--a lot. When i find the camera obscered I fall back on the ways of my ancestors and use the mirrors, they were fortunate to not have the stresses of a dirty camera. I have found mirrors do an adequate job when backing and i am fortunate they are connected to a heat source and normally clear....hope the heater and dirty lens do not fail at the same time or i might need to turn my head to back :).

2017 Canyon Denali, crew, short bed, V6, 8spd, hard fold tonneau by Extang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:30 PM

did this. with a camera from best buy and its a night and day difference. The factory cam is made cheap and the lens was terrible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1235.jpg (140.6 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1234.jpg (189.5 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1232.jpg (246.1 KB, 189 views)
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:35 PM

No way that back up camera will stay clean when there is snow, rain, or dusty conditions. The turbulence behind the truck makes everything stick to the tailgate...and the camera. I have noticed that my camera picture has deteriorated over time and I think that is from scratching the lense cover. All the abrasive grit that collects back there seems to have scratched it, even though I try to use plenty of water when cleaning it. When it finally warms up, I will be using some Meguier's Mirror Glaze cleaner and polish (two products) to see if I can get some clarity back.

2015 Colorado Yellow V-6 Z71 4X4 SB Crew/Nav/Towing/Sliding R Window/bedliner/3" off-road steps/flares/Xpel/Xstang Trifecta

Truck history:
2002 GMC Sonoma Crewcab 4x4 Yellow ZR5 (new)
1985 GMC High Sierra SB 4x4 Brown/Wht (used)
1983 S-10 Regular Cab, 4X4, V-6, 5spd-man, Black (new)

Current fleet:
2010 RAV4 V-6 Sport AWD
2014 Buick Verano Premium (Turbo)

post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysaunders25 View Post
did this. with a camera from best buy and its a night and day difference. The factory cam is made cheap and the lens was terrible.
Parts list, price, and basic instructions?

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:45 AM

Garage
I've noticed the same thing and while I haven't seen the need to clean it between washes yet I'd probably go with some waterless wash or detail spray and a microfiber. Should prevent scratching the lens.

2016 Canyon SLE w/ convenience and trailering package, nothing fancy.
post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Parts list, price, and basic instructions?
Ditto .... (and I doubt that I am the only one!)
tysaunders25 and ferg Z71 like this.

2016 Colorado 4x4 WT Ext Cab Long Bed with:
WT Convenience Package
WT Appearance Package
Trailering Equipment Package
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:52 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CPTTango30 Send a message via MSN to CPTTango30
I just rain-x it every so often. I also make sure to keep it clean. This is a plus to smoking as I don't smoke in my truck so I am normally standing behind it. I quick wipe with the sleeve of my fleece jacket and good as new.
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
What camera? How did you do it?
tysaunders25 likes this.

2017 Colorado Z71 (2WD), Cajun Red, V6, Tow, GM Sportbar w/lights, Vinyl "Performance" striping, 4" Westin Nerf Bars, BAK Revolver X2 roll up bed cover (modified), Bed LED lights
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 10:44 PM

I meant to document my install but forgot. So if you take the cover off the back of the tail gate you'll see the camera held in by two t15's (I think). take out small plug and cut end off. Leave some on the connector side incase you want to put it back (pointless imo). Should see 4 wires and a shield. keyed 12v, Ground, video + -. Use meter too figure out which is which. Wire in power and ground. Cut RCA that comes with camera and Wire yellow + and black - to vehicle. Sorry Im being vague. Ill check tomorrow confirm wire colors.
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 10:46 PM

post #31 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 10:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
I meant to document my install but forgot. So if you take the cover off the back of the tail gate you'll see the camera held in by two t15's (I think). take out small plug and cut end off. Leave some on the connector side incase you want to put it back (pointless imo). Should see 4 wires and a shield. keyed 12v, Ground, video + -. Use meter too figure out which is which. Wire in power and ground. Cut RCA that comes with camera and Wire yellow + and black - to vehicle. Sorry Im being vague. Ill check tomorrow confirm wire colors.
Being new here, and somewhat nonchalant, please realize that you have conquered an issue that many here wish to also conquer. Don't take this subject lightly.
CaryBosse and tysaunders25 like this.
post #32 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Do you lose the yellow and red guide lines that are shown on the screen?
tysaunders25 likes this.

2015 Colorado Ext. Cab Z71 4X4 (4/15 build date):
Bose, nav., sliding rear window, factory spray-in bed liner, fender guards, Rallyarmor UR mudflaps, Truxedo Lo Pro QT, door sill protectors, BNR tune.

post #33 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
@RatRacer is correct, for many this is a serious issue that you may have a great solution for.

I would suggest that you download the Upfitter Manual for your truck. There is a link to it at the Electrical Forum, in one of the stickied threads. Then you shouldn't have to guess wire colors. I would still confirm as you did with meter, but always nice to have a double check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post
Do you lose the yellow and red guide lines that are shown on the screen?
Guidelines are nice, they are a product of the Mylink interfacing with the electric power steering for an angle of steering wheels and overlaying on the camera picture. I would suspect they are still there, but how well they relate to the truck may be suspect. Probably not a big deal, as I think the factory setup requires the driver to be calibrated to understand the positional relationship, just re-calibrate the driver. Humans make great "robots" because we are so adaptable.

I would be interested in two other questions:

1. How does this setup perform in low light conditions and high light (blinding sun) conditions?

2. Does this setup change the field of view significantly? Do you see a broader width or narrower width view?

Finally, can you give us some cellphone pictures of the screen, probably with the steering straight, and with steering wheel all the way right or left?

If this is as great as you suggest, there are probably a few owners who would also need your mailing address to express their gratitude or maybe even where they could meet you to buy you a beer.
RatRacer and tysaunders25 like this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #34 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:24 AM

Garage
Quote:

If this is as great as you suggest, there are probably a few owners who would also need your mailing address to express their gratitude or maybe even where they could meet you to buy you a beer.
Or PayPal address...
tysaunders25 likes this.
post #35 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
Or PayPal address...
Paypal is up there (down there?) with Facebook. It doesn't pass my tin-foil hat meter.

post #36 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Paypal is up there (down there?) with Facebook. It doesn't pass my tin-foil hat meter.
Since they split off from eBay, they've become pretty much like every other credit card company. They are run thru Comenity Bank now, which does a lot of the retail cards, like Home Depot, BJ's, etc.
post #37 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:58 AM

Camera does well under low light (or as good as most camera do). I will say that i put led reverse lights in along with the anzo step lights so low light isn't really an issue. The picture is a little bit white washed but i just tell myself its inferred haha. Lines remain as they are ran through the my link system as stated above. Getting ready for work now. Will hopefully have pics by the end of the day.
CaryBosse and RatRacer like this.
post #38 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:56 AM

When my camera gets dirty or obstructed by glare etc... I just back up using the mirrors and turn around and take a look if I'm not sure.. Like in the "ol' days" .... I don't always need to be, 3 5/8" away from everything.......
RatRacer likes this.

OFFICIAL Z71 PILOT
post #39 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Camera does well under low light (or as good as most camera do). I will say that i put led reverse lights in along with the anzo step lights so low light isn't really an issue. The picture is a little bit white washed but i just tell myself its inferred haha. Lines remain as they are ran through the my link system as stated above. Getting ready for work now. Will hopefully have pics by the end of the day.
Following this... If I put my truck into reverse while sitting in the shade, then my camera looks washed out even in afternoon backing away from the sun. Thinking it has something to do with the light sensor on the dash and the monitor settings, but dealership says that should not matter. They are waiting for me to bring in a video of it, but have a hard time backing up while holding my cell phone up to the screen and using my mirrors at the same time

2017 Colorado Z71 (2WD), Cajun Red, V6, Tow, GM Sportbar w/lights, Vinyl "Performance" striping, 4" Westin Nerf Bars, BAK Revolver X2 roll up bed cover (modified), Bed LED lights
post #40 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGER View Post
When my camera gets dirty or obstructed by glare etc... I just back up using the mirrors and turn around and take a look if I'm not sure.. Like in the "ol' days" .... I don't always need to be, 3 5/8" away from everything.......
I will say it really helps consistently when you have a garage that is only 6" deeper than the truck.
CaryBosse likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode