Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Trading for Ridgeline?

57K views 403 replies 108 participants last post by  16WhiteColly 
#1 ·
So, I've had my 2015 Canyon for 2 years and have never been satisfied with the way the engine and transmission perform. I have held out for a Denali with the 8 speed transmission, but for the price it stills lacks a lot of the premium features that it should have for a $40K plus truck.

Drove a new top of the line Ridgeline and it drives; shifts and rides like I wish my Canyon did. It also has the following options that should be on the Denali.

Full Power seats with memory
Adaption cruise
Blind spot monitoring
Sunroof
Homelink
Push button start
Parking Sensors front and rear
Power sliding rear window
115 volt power outlet in the bed

I prefer the looks of the Canyon, but the Ridgeline is a lot more bang for the buck.

Yes, I know a lot of people on this board don't consider it a "real truck" because its not body on frame, but I don't need to tow more than 3,000 lbs and the bed on the Ridgeline is bigger than the Canyon with the same payload so it will do all the truck duties I need and will actually be better in some ways as its easier for me at 5'7 to get stuff in and out of the bed. Also love the dual tailgate and under bed storage.

I haven't made my mind up yet but the Ridgeline has got my attention.

See less See more
#4 ·
Sounds like your personal needs are convenience over utility. Ridgeline may be a better choice for you. Good luck with your decision and post a pic if you get one (but it may get you banned from the site, fair warning). :wink:

#5 ·
Go for it, somebody has to buy those UGLY A&* minivans.

#18 ·
:laugh:

True story though, they literally look like a hacked up minivan.

I cant wait to see one lifted though, should be entertaining.

#6 ·
My wife owned a Honda. I liked it. Their engine-tranny was quite refined. And I would expect no less for this product.

They utilize space way better than most of their competitors.

If you're not happy with your truck, get what makes you happy. It sure beats being miserable.
*ducks away*.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I never liked the looks of the Ridgeline with the sloped cab, same as the Avalanche that Chevrolet made. Just didn't look right. When they changed it to a straight back, I was interested, but needed for it to be towable behind an RV, but that didn't happen, so it was off the list. We own an Acura MDX and I'm guessing it's pretty similar size and interior design.

If it gains popularity, hopefully a slew of after market products will be available that will make it look a little tougher....more like a truck. The other thing that looks a little goofy is the front grill. I can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't look right.

#9 ·
I liked the original Ridgeline styling better than the update, but hard to consider it a 'truck'. Still, those features have to make you think about it for sure. Adaptive Cruise would be a MAJOR consideration for me. Blind spot monitoring/homelink/push button start absence on our truck are just GMC nickel-and-diming us in an extremely aggravating fashion! Keep us posted on your decision process. If it's a Honda, I am sure it drives smooth!

Reactions: Tractman
#10 ·
#11 ·
I don't haul or tow anything huge either - so the Ridgeline would probably fit my lifestyle aslo. However - I'd be concerned about the overall ruggedness and/or the ability to do 'work'. My uneducated assumption is that its more carlike than trucklike. Aside from the tow/haul ratings - can it pull/yank a stump out of my yard if I needed it to? Could it pull a vehicle out of a ditch if I needed it to? Could it tow/haul regularly and consistently without bogging down or the suspension getting tired?

Majority of the time, I don't need 90% of my trucks capabilities....but when that 10% comes into play - I don't have to think about it - I just let it WORK.

Honda is just now entering the truck market, so there's no experience with 'ruggedness' ( per say). Does it need ruggedness? I believe so...it's a TRUCK. I absolutely believe that a lot of owners will use it 'as a truck' and far beyond what Honda designed it to do. Will it matter?

I don't know if Honda had 'old people' as their target market - but as I age, I'm more likely to pay someone else to do those things that I'd expect a truck to do. So, it boils down to YOU.......and what you expect. I'd be curious to see what the next generation of Ridgeline brings (and who knows? I might be ready for another truck by then?) I love loaded options and 'spoil' me interiors!

#13 ·
I've never pulled any stumps out of my yard or pulled another car out of a ditch and I doubt I will, but I'm pretty sure it could do it if need be. Payload is the same as the GMC and you can stack sheets of plywood between the wheel wheels which the Canyon can't, so as far as hauling stuff the Ridgeline is better. I know lots of Gen1 Ridgeline owners who love their trucks and they are holding up well.

Also, Honda is not new to the truck market as the Gen 1 came out in 2005.

Reactions: macr88 and Janster
#12 ·
I like a lot of the features Honda offers on the Ridgeline, and liked the looks of the last model, but I just can't get into the looks of the new one. There are a couple in my neighborhood, and when I see them, the first thing that pops in my head is... well, nothing, because they just looks so nondescript!

#15 ·
I have had two high end trim RLs. Absolutely loved them both. Outstanding TRUCKS (in spite of some fanboy naysayers on this board). No problems...zip! Did everything I asked of them. Would have had a third RL but Honda had a manufacturing hiatus during the change over and I needed wheels thus the current Canyon which I have grown very fond of and appreciate.
My lease will expire in a year on my Canyon SLT. Going to have a tough decision to make.
The Honda ride is not comparable to the Twins. The storage management is not comparable.
The amenities are not comparable. The engineering is not comparable. Honda excels in all categories.
It is the 'looks' that disappoint. Honda styling engineers missed the boat big time.
But if you want a fine TRUCK (sorry guys) you can't go wrong.

#16 ·
Had a Ridgeline pass me on I-75 today, the driver was giving me a scornful look like my existence was bothering him (I was in the middle lane doing 75mph). about 10 minutes later I passed him on a surface street with smoke coming out from under his truck.He was standing there on the phone (probably to the Fire Department) I just tooted and waved as I passed by. Didn't bother to stop and disconnect his battery for the guy or pull my fire extinguisher out of the toolbox.

#17 ·
That was not a scornful look. It was a look of apprehension as he sensed trouble.
A Samaritan would not have let a brand name prevent him/her from coming to someone's aid.
Is that the Motown way?

#19 ·
That is called karma, drive like a dbag and/or throw attitude while driving, get nothing but a chuckle, a honk and a wave in return...

Reactions: Esoxchaser
#23 ·
to each his own if it works for you. you also bought a 1st year model which is a no-no to start although too many issues with the twins that should have been solved by now in their 3rd year plus they're selling sierras cheaper or equal to a canyon/colorado and so much more to them.
honda is top rated but until they change the front end...and i haven't seen one on the streets at all. waaay overpriced and again a first year model. many on the lots and overpriced
i won't own another canyon 3yrs from now. my dealer mentioned today the diesels aren't worth $7k compared to the gas twins but thats a given with the price of gas being low and little difference in towing capacity

#24 · (Edited)
- - - they're selling sierras cheaper or equal to a canyon/colorado and so much more to them.
Links to comparable pricing of Sierra to Canyon or Colorado?

That is certainly NOT true. A comparably priced 2017 Sierra with 4.3L V6 even with $11K off in incentives is at least $4,000 more than a 2017 Colorado LT or Canyon SLE with 3.6L V6 also with current incentives.

If you can find a Sierra for less. . . it simply will have much less in options and features for the "same" price.

Show us some actual links to prices of "comparably equipped" Sierra and Colorado with the same equipment.

Go to Laura GMC online and you will find a comparable Canyon is still $4,000 less.

#25 · (Edited)
If GM/FORD/RAM came out with a truck similar to the Ridgeline I would take a hard look at it. I have had trucks for 40 years and the first half of that I have been over trucked. Best was when I downsized to a Comanchee. Got a jacked up 11 Colorado now. Part of that was/is my fault. I just had to drop that 440 into my PowerWagon and every truck has been raised an customized. Been looking at the new twins but just cannot pull the trigger. Not sure whether to get one or wait for the Bronco/Ranger or Jeep truck......
I hunt and fish a lot and anymore most all the roads are paved or rocked so no 4wd needed, an most anything will haul my huntin gear and deer/elk/bears.

But then again, my local dealer is to call me as soon as they get a ZR2 in..

#28 ·
Hey guys thanks for all the responses. As I said in my post I like the looks of my Canyon better than the Ridgeline, but I don't hate it and if I don't enjoy driving the Canyon I don't care how good it looks. Since what looks good to one person may not look good to another I see no point in bashing the Ridgeline for looks alone.

#30 ·
If you are seriously thinking of going down that path, and enjoy the looks of the Canyon better, I implore you to test drive a 17 with the 8 spd. It meets the expectactions a lot better, and feel the same as you about the 15. I have both in the driveway now, and waiting for non-neutral color models to hit the lot to possibly trade the 15.

#31 ·
Are these the kind of morons that buy Ridgelines? LOL This is off of the NHTSA site. Funny stuff!!!

SUMMARY:
WHEN DRIVING AT A SPEED OF 55MPH THE ENTIRE CAB SHAKES AND IT GOT WORSE AS YOU WENT FASTER WITH THE TWO BACK WINDOW OPEN AND THE FRONT WINDOWS CLOSED. MY HEART RATE FLOW OUT OF CONTROL I THOUGHT I HAD 4 FLAT TIRES. I CONTACTED HONDA AND TOOK IT TO THE SERVICE AREA THEY TOLD ME THAT THAT IS NORMAL. I HAD A 2007 HONDA RIDGELINE FOR 7 YEARS AND THAT WAS NOT A ISSUE. I BELIEVE THEY THIS IS A FLAWS IN THE DESIGN. I HAVE CONTACTED HONDA CORPORATION AND THEY TOO TOLD ME THAT THAT IS THE NORM THEY OFFERED ME 200 $ AND BASICALLY TOLD ME TO DEAL WITH IT. I REFUSED THE OFFER. PLEASE ADVISE ME WHAT I CAN DO THANK YOU

#33 ·
Yep

#39 ·
If you're not happy with the canyon there's no shame in switching out. I'll reserve my personal thoughts on the Ridgeline, but will add that you might want to wait for the new Ford Ranger to drop to add another vehicle to the comparison list. Ford does trucks MUCH better than Honda and the new Ranger could be a really good one

#40 ·
If I didn't need to tow more than 5,000 lbs I'd seriously consider a Ridgeline although I despise the looks of both the Gen1 and now the Gen2's.

In a very big way though, I'm glad that the truck just won't meed my towing needs as I'd rather not have to consider one at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.