Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

What does everyone wish GM would've done different for the twins?

70K views 468 replies 221 participants last post by  owl_93 
#1 ·
For me, I'd prefer the good old 4.3L instead of the 3.6L. Also, I might be alone on this, but I wish they had kept the column shifter instead of going to the console. What do you guys wish could've been done differently?

#4 ·
4WD Select up on the dash, 4WD indicator where it can be seen. It was also most like 4WD was an after thought when they laid that out.

#7 · (Edited)
Wish?
I would wish all the treehugger religious zealots into the cornfield.
As for the truck...with all those mindless sheep gone the v6 and tranny could be corrected to the point that it would run much better.
Kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak...

EDIT:
I wish GM would have hired a “real world” engineer to design the wheel wells instead of a pencil pusher.
Not being able to fit 32” tires stock really limits the off road capabilities of the truck.
Having to put a Bro 5-6” lift to fit 33-34” tires is just ignorant.

Reactions: GregV
#352 ·
Wish?
I would wish all the treehugger religious zealots into the cornfield.
As for the truck...with all those mindless sheep gone the v6 and tranny could be corrected to the point that it would run much better.
Kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak...
Highly agreed, even the newer 8 spd 3.6 combo is abit disappointing. Otherwise GM drop the active fuel management! It doesn't make enough a difference to be worth the premature wear it entails on the motor for us long term vehicle owners! Especially on a truck why do we need AFM? If I wanted a 4cyl I'd have bought it.

#9 ·
A 5.3 V8 option would have been sweet. The 4.3 would have been great as well but the 3.6 has had many many years in various platforms to get it's kinks worked out and should prove to be great over time in these trucks. It is not outgunned by much either in regards to torque vs the 4.3 nor is it underpowered compared to any of the other mid-size competition on the market. The 4.3 would have also fit nicer in the engine bay in addition to being a lighter engine. However fuel economy would have been worse which is a big reason GM did not use the 4.3.

I agree I also prefer a column shifter on a truck but at the same time it's not something I care a whole lot about and I don't mind the console shifter.

Lastly more storage space would have been really nice. Wider center console compartment, maybe a little bit of space behind the rear seat, bigger glove box ect. The storage space is more like that of a mid sized SUV (the Acadia comes to mind) but with no trunk and leaves a lot to be desired when compared even to older 1/2 ton pick ups that were much smaller than newer 1/2 tons.

The trailering package (Z82 RPO) was standard on v6 crew cabs for 2015-2016 (at least for the Canyon not sure about the Colorado), yet in 2017 they took that away and made it an additional cost which to me comes off as just being straight greedy over something that should without question be standard equipment on a vehicle that has a tow/haul mode and is rated to pull 7000lbs. So I don't like that... A bed liner whether it be plastic or spray on not being standard on a truck that is costing people $35-40k+ is also ridiculous in my opinion. Maybe if you get the WT trim I can understand lacking some basic things but otherwise it just bothers me that these things aren't included when these trucks cost as much as they do.

And yet, I still have a Canyon so these issues didn't bother me too much to completely break the deal. That said I work at a GM dealership and got a large employee discount. I still love the truck despite the issues I described but honestly if not for this discount it is highly likely I would have bought a different truck (either a new Tacoma or pre-owned 1/2 ton).

#12 ·
Heated mirrors on the All Terrain / Z71 trim levels.

#13 ·
The option to turn the daytime running lights off permanently instead of every time you turn the key on. I'm a big boy, I know when the lights should be on. I also don't like how the headlights come on when you unlock it after dark. I'm sure my neighbors across the street love the LED headlights right in their living room every time I unlock my truck at night. LOL

Just being picky though.

#431 ·
The option to turn the daytime running lights off permanently instead of every time you turn the key on. I'm a big boy, I know when the lights should be on. I also don't like how the headlights come on when you unlock it after dark. I'm sure my neighbors across the street love the LED headlights right in their living room every time I unlock my truck at night. LOL

Just being picky though.
Yes Man we need look into this! I hate it!

#16 ·
I'd like larger inner wheel wells, more fine tuning on the Diesel engine and transmission as mine just doesn't feel refined at all, I'd also like factory leather in the z71, and maybe be as equipped as an lt 1500... since they are similarly priced...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
There is a way to disable the DRL's. Take the headlight switch out and then pop it apart. There is a little spring inside. Remove the spring and then your DRL's won't come on when you crank your truck as long as you have the head light switch in the off position. There is a post on here somewhere with pictures but I can't seem to find it.

#21 ·
8 way adjustable seats, the door storage layout, and the same calibration as the LFX Camaro had. It's a passenger vehicle motor, so why try make it truck like, when its power curves still match the car's, with a way more user friendly calibration? (moot with LGZ) De-arch the rear springs ~1".

Reactions: Two Door
#25 ·
This, add sunroof and dual zone climate for the Denali.

Why the 1500 and 2500 Denali's come with so much more and cost from $12,000-15,000 more than the Canyon/Colorado somewhat amazes me.

Has anyone seen what comes in those Denali's? There is a LOT but of course the price is also right up there. Maybe as time goes on GM will add to the Canyon Denali.

#29 ·
Granted, everything I'd want - will probably come eventually as the years click on....

Memory Seating
Better Nav system
More Apps in Carplay
Power rear sliding window
4WD indicator
Homelink
Sunroof
More vehicle color & wheel/color options
Body Color everything (grille, mirrors, bumper etc)
Hood Scoop (I don't care if its non functional)
Options - ala cart. Being able to add options to any given trim level.

#30 ·
Options a la carte has gone the way of the dinosaur. Manufacturers have realized they can package certain options in a manner to suck more $$$$ from buyers and for the manufacturing plant itself these packages can improve their efficiency. Take a look at a Ridgeline or a Taco and the Twins will look much better in this regard.

A lot of your various specific items would never interest me. But I tend to more practical and less appearance items. Homelink and memory seats are very practical.

#31 ·
A smart key system where you can lock/unlock the doors and start the engine without touching the key fob. Was surprised the LT didn't have it because its showing up in some other brands' lower trim levels. Sucks to have to go back to fumbling around with keys again.

Reactions: ATXKiwi
#32 · (Edited)
Keyless

Different transfer case drain plug (the thing is just hangin out there looking to get knocked off)

Better headlights (these things are terrible even for the 90's they'd be considered garbage)

Visible 4 wheel knob

Option to increase auto turn signal blinks (I prefer four to five blinks)

Remote rear slider (I can't reach the dang thing from the drivers seat lol)

A passenger O' **** handle that can be reached (everyone that's been in the truck says something about it and it's not positive) maybe one above by your head that folds up?

Front plates, give the buyer the option (I now have four holes on the front of my truck)

Ability to reorganize the dic so the things that I deem important are grouped together. (Thank you for allowing us to remove items)

-mac

#44 ·
Keyless

Different transfer case drain plug (the thing is just hangin out there looking to get knocked off)

Better headlights (these things are terrible even for the 90's they'd be considered garbage)

Visible 4 wheel knob

Option to increase auto turn signal blinks (I prefer four to five blinks)

Remote rear slider (I can't reach the dang thing from the drivers seat lol)

A passenger O' **** handle that can be reached (everyone that's been in the truck says something about it and it's not positive) maybe one above by your head that folds up?

Front plates, give the buyer the option (I now have four holes on the front of my truck)

Ability to reorganize the dic so the things that I deem important are grouped together. (Thank you for allowing us to remove items)

-mac
While it may not be in the best location, the 4WD knob is visible (unless someone is vision impaired).
GM forces a front license plate holder because of States requiring a front license plate. I have two holes which are used to fasten the front bracket (GM supplied). Not sure why or how you have four holes.
My truck has a passenger side "Oh ****" handle.
Transfer case drain plug is on the back side of the transfer case and in no way exposed to being knocked off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.