Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Towing travel trailers and mpg

54K views 45 replies 33 participants last post by  Gnome-ad 
#1 ·
I've searched and read a lot. Just wondering with the aerodynamics or lack there of with most travel trailers if we can get a thread started for those of us who pull these large bricks around?

I have only pulled my Microlite 23LB about 50miles on mostly flat interstate and was only getting about 10 MPG. I'm hoping that will get better when warmer weather gets here.

So post what you tow and weights etc and what you've seen for MPG.

My trailer weighs in at 4012 lbs empty and I would guess about 5k loaded up.

#2 ·
My popup camper is still pretty good size even when closed up. Weight is only 2300 pounds dry, never weighed it as I tow it, but it shouldn't be too much more, as I don't typically transport water. Typically my truck bed is going to have a couple hundred pounds of stuff, plus my wife & I in cab.

At 55 MPH highway flat, I can get 18 MPG. At 70 MPG, I can struggle to get 16 MPG.

I am going to argue that MPGs will be more controlled by how flat, how fast, how aerodynamic the trailer is, and how windy than weight almost. So, a simple weight versus MPG is not very helpful.

#3 ·
I have a Coleman 15BH that is 2875 lbs. dry weight. I figure we have at least enough stuff loaded in the trailer and with water and battery to weigh 3600 lbs. Maybe a little more. I have the Duramax and get around 16.7 mpg if I keep the speed down to around 60 mph. If I run closer to 70 mph it drops to around 15 mpg or so. Same trailer with my wife's 2005 GMC Yukon 4.8L V8 got around 10 mpg. I think the frontal area of the trailer and the wind resistance created by it have more to do with mileage than the overall weight of the trailer.

#4 ·
I understand that flat or hills and weather conditions play a roll in all of this. So feel free to be as detailed as you like. I'm hoping this can be a one stop post for all things travel trailer and MPG related as they are very different from boats and open trailers. Pics of the setups you are posting about can be both fun and helpful as well.

#6 ·
We pull a Winnebago 2401RG with our 2016 Canyon SLT long bed Diesel. The trailer is 27'11" long, including the hitch, and has a dry weight of 5,247 pounds. Have not weighed it loaded but would guess it is around 6,000 pounds. Loaded trailer tongue weight was measured and ranged from 840 to 720 pounds depending on if trailer has water in tank.

We have towed it 5,759 miles so far including trip from MN to FL and back. Have averaged 13.7 mpg based on calculated fill up data. Did notice that according to DIC mileage dropped about 1 mpg when filled up with diesel #1 or winter blend diesel on way to FL and back. If I only use fill ups without winter blend fuel have a calculated average of 14.0 mpg. Best 50 mile average I saw on the DIC was 16.2 in FL, worst was 12 with diesel #1 in WI.

#7 ·
2016 Crew Cab longbox Duramax,I tow a TT weighing 6k lbs when loaded with gear/toys/water. I average 14.1L/100kms ( 16.68 MPG US) . Truck pulls it very handily. Exhaust brake works perfectly when a load id pushing you down a step grade, superb truck for towing under 7k.

#8 ·
Towing any decent amount of weight with any gas truck is going to result in trash fuel mileage. However I'm a bit surprised at what the diesel owners above claim to be getting. Fuel economy in a diesel typically doesn't suffer to that extent when towing... At least not with older diesels I know that much.

#13 ·
16 Colorado 3.6L, towing a Starcraft AR One 18QB, probably about 3,600 lbs. loaded, getting about 14.5 mpg. at 60-70 mph.

#14 · (Edited)
So I just returned from a trip to Naples Florida about 1100 miles one way down there. I got an average of 10.5 on the way down. Some slight headwinds. I kept my speed at 60 most of the time. On the way home I had an ever so slight tail wind. Total average for the trip home was 11.3 which I can live with. My camper weighs 4013 lb empty with full propane tanks. I had water in my fresh tank when I left so we could take showers after overnighting in Walmart parking lots on the way down and back. It holds 43 gallons and filled it a little over half way for both trips. I wish it would be better but the drag is the real issue more than the weight.

My setup.

Attachments

#15 ·
I have the the diesel shortbox rwd and I get 37 mpg U.S. on the highway with no trailer. I get just under 20 mpg pulling my 7x12 V nose trailer with car inside. Total weight, 3500 lbs.

#16 ·
Duramax pulling a 5,000# 23 ft trailer. I get around 14 mpg. That was what I got with my Durango empty!

#17 · (Edited)
29.7 on the highway to LA to pick up tt.
24.4 - 27.2 (depending on speed), pulling the 13ft tt <1500 lbs (rounded fiberglass) back on the highway.
50 mph got me 27.2
Duramax, 4x4 All Terrain

Reactions: SeanEugene
#21 · (Edited)
I tow a 4800 pound travel trailer with my 2015 Canyon (V6) all around Colorado and Wyoming. I do have a leveling kit and larger tires, which doesn't help mileage. The camper closely resembles a brick so headwinds really change my mpg. I normally see 11 to 13 mpg at 65 mph.

I just installed a RIPP Supercharger so I'll be curious how my towing mileage will change.

#25 · (Edited)
I tow a 4800 pound travel trailer with my 2015 Canyon (V6) all around Colorado and Wyoming. I do have a leveling kit and larger tires, which doesn't help mileage. The camper closely resembles a brick so headwinds really change my mpg. I normally see 11 to 13 mpg at 65 mph.

I just installed a RIPP Supercharger so I'll be curious how my towing mileage will change.

Please keep us updated as to how this works out for you, I'm towing a 5200 Lb. TT, really curious about the superchargers. Looking at the Mallet, it is Carb certified for California.

According to Mallet, they actually get a MPG increase (not towing) as the motor doesn't have to run in the higher RPM range to make it's power.

#22 ·
Something along that nature is what I will be looking for to tow with my Canyon. IMO that is the perfect truck and trailer combo, as it will be just me and my wife on the road.

I joke with the Mrs. about the huge and very expensive camping rigs we see out there - "I want to get away from it all, not take it all with me" :roll:

#23 ·
I got 14mpg towing a near 6Klb car hauler with car from Santa B. to San Jose up 101. Several hills, but 90% flat overall.
V6 4x4
used tow/haul mode and ran around 62-64mph

I was pretty happy with that. Used to get 11-12 towing a similar load with a V8 Titan.
V6 is not ideal for towing such a heavy load up hills, but it manages OK. This is not a normal use for me these days.
Car trailer is not as bad as a TT from an aero standpoint of course.

#24 ·
#28 ·
I just finished a 2,200 mile trip from Phoenix to Charlotte. I have a gas 2016 2wd CC Z71 pulling an Apex 212RB. Dry weight is 4200 lbs, probably 5000-5200 with everything in it. Have a wd hitch and sway control as well as a prodigy p3 brake controller (actually braked better with no boost). Dealt with mountains in AZ and TN & NC with gusting winds in NM, TX, OK and a monsoon in AR. Averaged 12.4 mpg for the trip. All in all, it didn't perform as poorly as I thought it would. I averaged 65 mph @ 3000rpm. Transmission temp never got above 180 with the exception of going up the mountains into flagstaff, AZ, when it peaked at 196. I would never trailer something this far with this truck but I was moving and didn't have any other options. I have no worries pulling my trailer a few hundred miles at a time for the occasional camping/hunting trip.

Attachments

Reactions: batlwagn
#29 ·
I have a 16 Canyon with the V6, and I tow a 22ft travel trailer that weighs about 5000 lbs when loaded. I travel with the fresh water tank full.
I have towed from Nevada to Virginia and back by way of Florida. I averaged 10 mpg for the trip. Most of the time I run at 65 mph.
Towing a travel trailer is somewhat like towing a parachute!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.