17 Colorado vs 17 Canyon - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

17 Colorado vs 17 Canyon

I'm sure this topic has been beat to death, but I'm not finding any good threads comparing the 2.

I know that they're mostly the same truck, but I've read that the GMC is a little nicer on the inside.

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a new truck and I was curious about the differences once you get into the 2017 models. I would be comparing a Colorado LT with the luxury package, to a canyon SLT and they look to be very similar.

I think the 17 Colorado has a different arm rest on the center console from what I've read, but is the interior that much different? I haven't been in a canyon yet.

I like the looks of the Colorado better, and there seems to be better color choices. just trying to understand the difference.

Thanks in advance,
Luke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFRLuke View Post
I'm sure this topic has been beat to death, but I'm not finding any good threads comparing the 2.

I know that they're mostly the same truck, but I've read that the GMC is a little nicer on the inside.

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a new truck and I was curious about the differences once you get into the 2017 models. I would be comparing a Colorado LT with the luxury package, to a canyon SLT and they look to be very similar.

I think the 17 Colorado has a different arm rest on the center console from what I've read, but is the interior that much different? I haven't been in a canyon yet.

I like the looks of the Colorado better, and there seems to be better color choices. just trying to understand the difference.

Thanks in advance,
Luke
I have done the same comparison and ordered a Colorado LT with Convenience Pkg and Luxury Pkg. I am including a link from C&D which has some (87) excellent interior and exterior photos of a 2017 Cyber Gray 4x4 Colorado LT.

The Center Arm rest on the 2017 Colorado LT with the packages I mentioned is the same as what the Canyon has. . a leather (or leather-like) stitched. SEE the close up photo I've included.

I went over analyzing the Colorado & Canyon several times, and found that for certain options like leather seating and colors, I had better selections with the Colorado, plus comparably equipped it came in less by quite a bit.

The interiors in the mid trim level (LT vs SLE) are nearly same, varying only in some interior trim finishes/color for the most part.. The Canyon SLT is the top level trim, but is more costly than a Colorado LT with both the Convenience and Luxury Packages. I included leather interior, towing package, Safety Pkg and that was about it.

IT is easy enough to compare by using the "Build It " option on both the GMC and Chevy web sites.

2017 Chevrolet Colorado V-6 8-Speed Automatic 4x4 Crew Cab Test ? Review ? Car and Driver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-Chevrolet-Colorado-LT-Console Arm Rest.jpg (45.4 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-Chevrolet-Colorado-LT-141-876x535.jpg (120.0 KB, 197 views)

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 02-06-2017 at 12:04 AM.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

cool man, thanks for the info!

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:24 AM

You really need to go and look at them and drive them both in person. Just sayin.....

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:50 AM

Garage
Well the internals are the same and the cabin lay out is the same, but that is about it. They are really two different trucks unlike the Gen 1 twins. The body panels are all different and well as the lights. The hood is different as well. They really do not look alike at all. The Canyon has much less hard plastic. They cover up most the interior with soft touch leatherette and contrasting stitching, including the center console.
JPR60 likes this.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic

Last edited by BeastStarr68; 02-06-2017 at 08:52 AM.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 09:24 AM

In 2015, there were a lot of differences:

1. Exterior Styling
2. Interior soft touch on Canyon as opposed to more plastic on Colorado: One review described the center console armrest as having the quality field of a cheap water hose.
3. On SLE & SLT, the Driver Information Center (DIC) was multi-color, larger, and was controlled on steering wheel versus a slightly smaller, monochrome DIC controlled from the turn-signal lever.
4. I have 2WD, but I think the Canyon 4WD came with an auto-4WD selection along with 2WD, 4WD Hi & 4WD Lo, whereas the Colorado only had the traditional 2WD, 4WD Hi & 4WD Lo.
5. There were some confusion: I think that the locking rear differential was standard on the Canyon SLE/SLTs versus only an option for the Colorado trims, but it was available for all.
6. Based on comments, I believe the headlights on the Canyon must be far superior to the factory headlights on the Colorado. Similar for taillights.
7. A loaded SLT was not that much different that a loaded LT, but the difference in price was worth it to me.

In 2016, they made a few changes that brought the vehicles closer to each other:

1. DIC on Colorado LT & Z71 upgraded to the larger multi-color with steering wheel controls.
2. Auto 4WD available on diesels across the board.
3. While in 2015, only the green color was a premium paint color with upcharge, GMC kicked the premium upcharge in for most of the colors, but the Chevy trucks did not.
4. I think the price difference widened.

In 2017, more changes:

1. I believe Auto 4WD is available on both Twins.
2. I have seen some threads that suggest the armrest have been improved on the Colorado.
3. I don't have a clue on the price differences, but as the Colorado has gained some of the "luxuries" of the Canyon, I don't think the price has gone up, so the price differential may make the Colorado a better choice now.

From a performance standpoint, I think the trucks have closed in the gaps between them, except for the OEM headlights & taillights. If I was shopping today, I would look harder at the Colorado since many of the things like soft touch interior and the DIC that convinced me to go for the Canyon may have been addressed.
dlakerguy13 and Gunner1 like this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 09:54 AM

Colorado has blue lighting on the dash and the Canyon has red...not a big deal to some.

For me it was the front end, I had a Sierra prior to the Canyon...just really like the front end of the GMC, plus I like the Duramax badging on the hood.
100MPG likes this.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFRLuke View Post
I'm sure this topic has been beat to death

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a new truck and I was curious about the differences once you get into the 2017 models.

Thanks in advance,
Luke
Yes this is a terrific forum. Outstanding informative posters like CaryBosse diligently provide terrific input.

Not to demean your post, but you might also consider actually going to a dealer and due some comparison shopping like getting in a Canyon.
It takes some effort but nothing beats hands-on shopping.

2015 Canyon SLT 4X4 V6, CC, SB.
Bronze Alloy Metallic/Cocoa Dune
Ordered 10/8/14 Picked up 12/22/14
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tufelhundin View Post
Colorado has blue lighting on the dash and the Canyon has red...
In 2017 both are blue. I personally like blue but bought a 2016 Canyon w/ the red lighting. Reminds me of my old Bonneville!

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CCSB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Summit White, Bull Ring side wall anchors, AMP Research Powerstep, Rugged Cover Tri-Fold Tonneau, WeatherTech Mudflaps

Planned Mods:
Homelink
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payload View Post

Not to demean your post, but you might also consider actually going to a dealer and due some comparison shopping like getting in a Canyon.
It takes some effort but nothing beats hands-on shopping.
I will second that. My wife and I sat in several trucks: A Z71 and an LT with leather Colorado, and an ALL Terrain and a SLT Canyon. One thing we noticed, even though the seats should have been the same except for color, was that we found the All Terrain seats more comfortable than the Z71. Leather was more comfortable than either. I think we also set in a cloth seat Colorado, they were fine.

It sounds like some small tweaks, like the blue versus red illumination for the dash have been made in 2017. I wasn't sure what was going on with that for 2017, so I left it out. The Colorado seems to have some improvements on the armrests. So, armed with the little comments here, go sit your tail in a few trucks and see what strikes your fancy. Then let us know what you decide, and if you discover anything else we failed to bring to your attention.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 12:02 PM

Garage
The canyon SLT and Denali also have the fake wood trim around the shifter and on the doors. I believe the Colorado has a plastic metal looking trim. I think I also read somewhere that the GMC uses real metal to trim the radio and steering wheel.
Vinolush likes this.

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
You really need to go and look at them and drive them both in person. Just sayin.....

What he said...I drove both and looked at both carefully. There was a difference in look and drive.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgfr View Post
What he said...I drove both and looked at both carefully. There was a difference in look and drive.
Actually, it's what she said.
Toughsox and Janster like this.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built and shipped 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tufelhundin View Post
Colorado has blue lighting on the dash and the Canyon has red...not a big deal to some.
pretty sure the lighting is blue for both 2017

For me it was the front end, I had a Sierra prior to the Canyon...just really like the front end of the GMC, plus I like the Duramax badging on the hood.
agreed for gmc front end. thats why i bought one.
colorado looks too stretched on the front headlights/grill
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:36 PM

- - - - For those wishing to compare "apples to apples" in configuring a Canyon and Colorado, here is one configuration and what it worked out to for our order at the end of this posting. If you want the short version . . scroll down to SUMARY in RED.
In deciding what to order, we sat in and drove 2 GMC Canyons and 2 Chevy Colorados.

One GMC was an Extended cab SLE with quite a few options, 4WD. The other was a crew cab SLT. Both were V6 engines and one had cloth seats and the other leather.

Then we went to a Chevy dealer and sat in and test drove a Colorado LT 2WD with cloth interior and then a Z71 with leather. Both were V6 and Crew Cab.

These test drives were all done on the same day within 60 to 90 minutes. We did notice the faux wood grain trim in the Canyon and a different shade of trim around the radio and on the door panels. Other than that the interiors seemed about the same as did the ride and handling. We did not like the Z71 because it did seem to have a bit stiffer ride even though for these 2nd Gen Twins, it has been stated that there is little or no actual suspension difference. Maybe the tires are harder riding in the Z71?
We did like the leather seats in both the Canyon and Colorado and for the 15 to 20 minute ride in each of these trucks could not say Canyon or Colorado had better or worse seating comfort. We did think the cloth seats were a bit spongy and did not offer the support and yet comfort of the leather seats in either Canyon or Colorado.

When comparing mid trim level Canyon SLE and Colorado LT we found that ordering them out with both the same options there was a higher cost for the Canyon.

SUMMARY - -
Below are what I compared and ordered on the 2017 Colorado LT 2WD CCSB V6. I configured the same options as close as possible on the Canyon SLE first. Then made up a build with the same options in a Colorado LT. The Colorado came in $358 LESS($400 MSRP) . . . but the differences are quite a bit. For that $358 LESS we got the Cyber Gray Metallic paint included ($395 extra on Canyon). We also got the Luxury Pkg which includes leather seating and chrome exterior bumpers and door handles, and heated power front driver/passenger seats. You can not get leather in a Canyon SLE. You would have to move up to the SLT which is substantially more and the chrome exterior treatment is also extra at $610 . . but does include the $135 chrome exhaust tip. To get leather by moving up to the Canyon SLT would push MSRP to $35,960 with a special current $1,000 rebate on that trim level. So, that would have been another $655 more than the Colorado.
In other words, to make it short, to get what we wanted on the Colorado verses the Canyon saved us at least $600. Plus, when I checked on auto insurance on a Canyon SLT or SLE it would be some $95 to $107 more per year.

GMC Canyon
Crew Cab Pickup - Short Bed, Rear Wheel Drive,
Crew Cab Short Box 2-Wheel Drive SLE

GM Employee Discount Price After Offer1.: $32,616.24

Base MSRP $29,890.00
Bodystyle Crew Cab Pickup - Short Bed

Trim
Rear Wheel Drive, Crew Cab Short Box 2-Wheel Drive SLE

Color & Wheels
Exterior Cyber Gray Metallic $395.00
Interior=
Cocoa/Dune, Cloth seat trim $0.00

Options:
Package
SLE Preferred Equipment Group $0.00
Package
SLE Convenience Package $575.00
Package
Driver Alert Package $395.00
Mechanical
3.6L DI DOHC V6 VVT engine $1,235.00
Mechanical
Transmission, 8-speed automatic $150.00
Mechanical
3.42 rear axle ratio $0.00
Mechanical
Automatic locking rear differential $325.00
Mechanical
Tow/Haul Mode $0.00
Mechanical Trailering Package $250.00
Exterior
17" Blade Silver Metallic cast aluminum wheels $0.00
Exterior
17" all-season blackwall tires $0.00
Exterior
16" all-season blackwall spare tire $0.00
Exterior
Solid Paint $0.00
Exterior
16" x 7" steel spare wheel $0.00
Exterior
5" rectangular assist steps, Chrome $725.00
Exterior
Sliding rear window $0.00
Interior
Front bucket seats $0.00
Interior
Power front passenger seat, 4-way $0.00
Interior
Power driver seat with lumbar control $0.00
Interior
Power front passenger seat lumbar control $0.00
Interior
Heated driver and front passenger seats $550.00

Interior
Remote vehicle starter system $0.00
Interior
Single-zone automatic air conditioning $0.00
Entertainment
AM/FM/SiriusXM®1 stereo with 8" Diagonal
Color Touch Screen with IntelliLink®2 $0.00
Safety-Interior
Accessories (installation not included)
Electronics
Remote Start Kit $275.00

Base MSRP1. $29,890.00
MSRP as Configured1. $35,705.00
GM Employee Discount Price $32,616.24
GM Employee Discount Price After Offer1. $32,616.24

2017 Chevrolet Colorado
Crew Cab Pickup - Short Bed, Rear Wheel Drive
Crew Cab Short Box 2-Wheel Drive LT

GM Employee Discount Price After Offer1.: $32,258.17
Base MSRP
$28,565.00
Bodystyle
Crew Cab Pickup - Short Bed
Trim
Rear Wheel Drive, Crew Cab Short Box 2-Wheel Drive LT
Color & Wheels
Cyber Gray Metallic $0.00
Interior
Jet Black/Dark Ash, Leather-appointed seat trim $950.00

Options
Package
LT Preferred Equipment Group $0.00
Package
LT Convenience Package $690.00
Package
Luxury Package-Chrome $1,080.00
Package
Safety Package $395.00
Mechanical
3.6L V6 DI DOHC VVT engine $1,235.00
Mechanical
8-speed automatic transmission $150.00
Mechanical
GVWR, 5800 lbs. (2631 kg) $0.00
Mechanical
Rear axle, 3.42 ratio $0.00
Mechanical
Automatic locking rear differential $325.00
Mechanical
Trailering Equipment $250.00
Mechanical
Tow/Haul Mode $0.00
Exterior
17" Blade Silver metallic cast aluminum wheels $0.00
Exterior
17” all-season blackwall tires $0.00
Exterior
16” spare tire $0.00
Exterior
Solid Paint $0.00
Exterior
16" steel spare wheel $0.00
Exterior
Chrome rear bumper $0.00
Exterior
Assist steps, 5" rectangular chrome $725.00
Exterior
Projector-type headlamps $0.00
Exterior Fog lamps $0.00
Exterior
Outside heated power-adjustable chrome mirrors $0.00
Exterior
Sliding rear window, manual $0.00
Exterior
Door handles, Chrome $0.00
Exterior
EZ-Lift and Lower Tailgate $0.00
Interior
Front bucket seats $0.00
Interior
Power front passenger seat (4-way) $0.00
Interior
Power driver lumbar control $0.00
Interior
Power front passenger lumbar control $0.00
Interior
Heated driver and front passenger seats $550.00
Interior
Remote vehicle starter system $0.00
Interior
Single-zone automatic climate control air conditioning $0.00
Interior
Defogger, rear-window, electric $0.00
Interior
Inside rearview mirror with auto-dimming $0.00
Entertainment
Chevrolet MyLink®1 Radio with 8"
diagonal color touch-screen. : $0.00
Safety-Interior
Lane Departure Warning1 $0.00
Safety-Interior
Forward Collision Alert1 $0.00

Base MSRP1. $28,565.00
MSRP as Configured1. $35,305.00
GM Employee Discount Price $32,258.17
GM Employee Discount Price After Offer1. $32,258.17

JBT likes this.

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 02-06-2017 at 08:05 PM.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:39 PM

Good summary but I don't feel $700 on a $35k vehicle is that much. Granted, I spent maybe that much more on my 2015, but there were 2 things on the Canyon I could not get on the Colorado : the upgraded DIC that is standard on both now and the nicer interior trim.

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:46 PM
JBT

Garage
@GraniteBlue05 Nice write up. Thanks

The only thing the Canyon has that The Colorado doesn't is a soft touch dash with stitching and an aluminum verses plastic trim around the sound system. It really depends on which model you like most. And the cost savings. I really liked the Canyon All Terrain interior with the red stitching but liked the look of the Colorado over all, more. And it was cheaper for the same options. And I don't drive around touching my dash. I really wish I could have got the black with red stitching All Terrain interior with my red Colorado. That would have been a nice combo.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab

Last edited by JBT; 02-06-2017 at 09:09 PM.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Good summary but I don't feel $700 on a $35k vehicle is that much. Granted, I spent maybe that much more on my 2015, but there were 2 things on the Canyon I could not get on the Colorado : the upgraded DIC that is standard on both now and the nicer interior trim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
@GraniteBlue05 Nice write up. Thanks
You're welcome.

I agree. . back then there were more differences in features. This is what GM and car makers always do with trim levels. It varies from year to year.

And, yes, $600 is not a large relative amount, but with the annual insurance it also adds up.

That said, I am with you. If I could have gotten the Leather interior in the Canyon SLE for only $400 more I may have taken it anyway. OTOH. . . Canyon did not have the interior color we wanted. Only black and Coca/tan. We wanted the Black/Dark Ash leather seats. And what is with GMC charging more for most of the exterior paint colors? I would have thought Chevy would do that.

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 02-06-2017 at 09:29 PM.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 09:18 PM
JBT

Garage
GMC is special. That's why they charge for paint.
Vinolush and doug5336 like this.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404 Not Found View Post
Actually, it's what she said.

oops...my bad. I hope she forgives me.
404 Not Found likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode