Rear End Knock [2015 GMC Canyon 3.6 CC 2WD] - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Rear End Knock [2015 GMC Canyon 3.6 CC 2WD]

I've noticed my rear end knocks/clunks under certain circumstances. Mainly when I drive over speed bumps at an angle.

I found out there was a TSB out for re-torqueing the leaf springs so I took it to the dealer and had this work down.

It still knocked afterwards so I bugged the dealer about it and they mentioned the knock was caused by lateral movement and that all 2nd Gens do it. The rep also went out to my truck and showed me by pushing on the bed and rocking the entire truck to duplicate the knock. Apparently it has something to do with the axle.

Is anyone else running into these issues with the truck?

Last edited by Amartinez5978; 02-26-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 12:09 PM

Mine does the same thing! Went to the dealer and showed me exactly the same thing your dealer showed you! As I understand it, it's a tiny bit of end play in the axles!

Loving my 2016 Colorado. Had it since February 2016!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

@IowaDean I honestly don't feel comfortable with this. I'm assuming this will have a long term affect on thr reliability of the axle. Geez

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 01:15 PM

I don't know how much experience you have with driving trucks..... but this characteristic is common in trucks especially those with spring/over axle configuration. It can also be referred to as 'Axle Wrap' - google it.

I haven't looked under the Canyon recently to notice if it has any sort of traction bars....etc (probably not). Most leaf sprung-over trucks I've owned never had any sort of traction bars/etc.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparf...le-jpg.186824/

Surely, you can do all sorts of things to try and correct this with aftermarket parts - but chances are, you'd be chasing your tail - while sacrificing ride comfort.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 06:48 PM

I'm going to question the axle wrap scenario! The excellent video you provided showed it clearly, however it was demonstrated on a high torque application. For myself (and probably Amartine597) we're talking about going slow (5-10 mph). I notice mine when I pull into the driveway at an angle.

Loving my 2016 Colorado. Had it since February 2016!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 07:09 PM

Garage
I have this same issue on my 2017 Canyon. It does it every day in my work parking garage. (My coworkers Tacoma doesn't clunk over the same speed bumps.) At first I thought something was loose, like my spare tire. I did a bit of experimenting today and found that my truck clunks if I go over a speed bump with only my right tires. If I go over the speed bump with only my left tires, it doesn't seem to do it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Perhaps the tolerances aren't as tight as they used to be? I know my older Silverado never did it .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 12:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider27 View Post
I have this same issue on my 2017 Canyon. It does it every day in my work parking garage. (My coworkers Tacoma doesn't clunk over the same speed bumps.) At first I thought something was loose, like my spare tire. I did a bit of experimenting today and found that my truck clunks if I go over a speed bump with only my right tires. If I go over the speed bump with only my left tires, it doesn't seem to do it.
Yup. Mine does this exact same thing when backing out if the driveway and over speed bumps or an uneven driveway. Always and only on the right side.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 03:46 PM

Garage
Took my Canyon in to the dealer today for the whistle noise and the rear axle clunk/bobble. The Canyon loaner they gave me feels quite a bit different to drive. The suspension seems much tighter and quieter. On my normal commute, I still experienced a very little bit of suspension noise, but nothing like what I hear/feel with mine. I doubt there is any difference in shocks between the SLE and SLT, so hopefully they figure out what's wrong with mine.

As a side note, my 2017 powertrain is night and day difference to the 2016 powertrain on this loaner.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:31 PM

Garage
Hey guys
I've had my truck since November and this Saturday was the first time I noticed this.
I was pulling up my driveway and it was loud enough for me and my wife to both hear it. I don't get any noise when I jump up and down on the bumper, but I get a ton of noise when I grab one of the back wheel and shake the truck back and forth.
I took it to the dealer and they said this is normal but i'm having a hard time believing that my brand new truck is supposed to sound like its 20 years old when I pull in to my driveway.
Has anyone tried shaking their truck from side to side and heard a bunch of noise or should I take it to another dealer for a second opinion.

Thanks

2016 Colorado Crew Cab Long Box
2013 Fusion SE 2.0L Eco Boost
1988 Firebird Formula
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip8888 View Post
Hey guys
I've had my truck since November and this Saturday was the first time I noticed this.
I was pulling up my driveway and it was loud enough for me and my wife to both hear it. I don't get any noise when I jump up and down on the bumper, but I get a ton of noise when I grab one of the back wheel and shake the truck back and forth.
I took it to the dealer and they said this is normal but i'm having a hard time believing that my brand new truck is supposed to sound like its 20 years old when I pull in to my driveway.
Has anyone tried shaking their truck from side to side and heard a bunch of noise or should I take it to another dealer for a second opinion.

Thanks

I have the same issue and scenarios as you described.l I asked my own mechanic to take a test drive which he heard the clunk and after he did exactly the same thing, shaking the truck by grabbing the right rear wheel and tons of noise. He mentioned that it should be a slight play on it but not the way mine did. I will schedule an appointment to the dealer to check but many people here are saying its normal. Does anybody has any luck fixing this from the dealer?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 07:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basracx View Post
I have the same issue and scenarios as you described.l I asked my own mechanic to take a test drive which he heard the clunk and after he did exactly the same thing, shaking the truck by grabbing the right rear wheel and tons of noise. He mentioned that it should be a slight play on it but not the way mine did. I will schedule an appointment to the dealer to check but many people here are saying its normal. Does anybody has any luck fixing this from the dealer?
I have had a bunch of rear wheel drive cars and yes I have felt differential play. This is normal, But I normally have the wheels off the ground to feel that kind of play that I get when I shake my truck.

My neighbor is the owner of the dealership that i bought my truck from. So I showed him the one day in my driveway. The next day he brought my truck in and reamed out his mechanic for telling me it was ok but then his mechanic showed him that the same noise was on every Colorado and Canyon on their lot.

So my neighbor said he was sorry and that this is what our trucks sound like.

I found this video on youtube.

This person claims it is a leaf spring recall in the comments, and that his truck is now fixed.
This is the noise I get as well.

I will ask the next time i bring the truck in.

2016 Colorado Crew Cab Long Box
2013 Fusion SE 2.0L Eco Boost
1988 Firebird Formula
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 08:22 PM

Garage
Mine since day one. I don't think it is right, but yes, every one of these does it. I thought I was the only one too but dealer showed me the ones on the lot do it too. I also sat right where the dealer has a pair of speed bumps coming in and I could hear many other GMC vehicles do it. The Sierra, Canyon, that big SUV thing, all did it. The only one that I didn't hear it on was the Acadia and that would be right on a FWD. It's not the differential as that dude in the video thinks. Not quite sure if he could even show me where it is. It was plain to see (hear) it was somewhere in the suspension.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 08:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to 100MPG Send a message via MSN to 100MPG
I think it is play in the axle bearing at the hubs.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 08:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100MPG View Post
I think it is play in the axle bearing at the hubs.
Interesting. If there is "play" wouldn't that wear them out pretty quick? Doesn't sound good if that is the case.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 10:26 PM

Garage
Several months ago, my 2015 Z71 did the same thing the clunking noise going over bumps and hard accelerating 45 - 60 mph and such. took it to my dealer, they test drove it and said that indeed it was bad off, loosen everything and retorqued it, tested again, still noise so ordered new right spring, tested again, fail, ordered again, that one fixed it. now it like new, and on top of that it helped fix the transmission problem i was having. they said that the isolator strips were bad like they were worn out. but yet they were new.
take your truck back and tell them to check again and replace the spring pack. might be the right side because that is your main drive wheel with all that torque, mainly on the right side..

2015 Colorado Z71 Red Rock Met. 2WD V6 EC TTP Nav Bose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode