Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
WT= Work Truck trim pkg

Base is below WT
Well below base then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 09:31 AM

I actually hate push button start. I think the current setup is perfect. The best I've seen.
brobox likes this.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built and shipped 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #23 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:27 AM

Garage
I cant help but can only say its better than it was...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg key.JPG (43.3 KB, 45 views)
PAR, KY Red Rock and 404 Not Found like this.

2016 Cyber Grey Colorado Z71, 4x4, CCSB, Bose, nav, trailer package

BDS 5.5" lift, 20% tint, Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/65/18, Fuel 18x9 Recoils, 5" running boards, K&N CAI, Air dam trimdown to aprox 2" lip, Weatherguard black saddlebox, GM floor liners front and back. LineX

HID conversions, interior LED swap, cargo, reverse, lic plate, fog lights, and switch-back LED's, Rough Country LED bar, toolbox lights, bed rail LEDs, Canyon leather armrest swap

post #24 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Conway View Post
It's a truck, not a Cadillac. This truck already has too much electronic garbage on it IMO. I wish GM would come out with a trim level below the WT. Manual seats, windows, and locks. No TPMS system (though unlikely because of the NHTSA). No lane departure warning. A driver's truck. Time people learned what it's like to actually to drive a vehicle again and take care of one instead of relying on the vehicle to make up for their incompetent driving abilities. But I guess we can thank all these automotive know-nothings who don't care about anything as long as they have their heated seats for that not being feasible.
Oh man, if we could all only be like you, patting ourselves on our self-righteous backs for being so independent. Can I assume that if you had your way, the Colorado would come with a hand crank starter too?

With that said, GM is foolish for not offering a smart-key as an option. Don't give me this "It's a truck, not a Cadillac!" crap, or that somehow the cost of a proximity key will cause the MSRP to skyrocket.

Even 3-cylinder shart-boxes like the Mitsubishi Mirage offer smart keys with push button start, which can be found for under $10K dollars...new: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4470/overview/
C9H13NO3, BamCam and Whocares05050 like this.

Last edited by rbloedow; 03-12-2017 at 08:17 PM.
post #25 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 08:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbloedow View Post
Oh man, if we could all only be like you, patting ourselves on our self-righteous backs for being so independent. Can I assume that if you had your way, the Colorado would come with a hand crank starter too?
I just value longevity over having useless garbage on vehicles that is only designed to make people become more ignorant to what it takes to actually drive or maintain a vehicle. I don't need a vehicle to tell me when to change my oil or add air to my tires. Nor do I need to be told when I'm about to crash into a vehicle because I actually look. I would've bought an old square body but most for a decent price are rust buckets and have a heap of problems or those that are in good shape people want its weight in gold for. Unfortunately these automotive-illiterate people have ruined new vehicles for people who don't treat theirs like disposable cameras. They could care less if their vehicle doesn't make it past 50k miles, but god forbid they don't get their heated steering wheel.

But honestly, is it really that difficult to pull a key out and turn it?

Last edited by Randall Conway; 03-12-2017 at 08:24 PM.
post #26 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 08:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
It's a truck, not a Cadillac. This truck already has too much electronic garbage on it IMO. I wish GM would come out with a trim level below the WT. Manual seats, windows, and locks. No TPMS system (though unlikely because of the NHTSA). No lane departure warning. A driver's truck. Time people learned what it's like to actually to drive a vehicle again and take care of one instead of relying on the vehicle to make up for their incompetent driving abilities. But I guess we can thank all these automotive know-nothings who don't care about anything as long as they have their heated seats for that not being feasible.
Congrats. You represent 100% of the minority of NEW truck owners. NOBODY wants to drive your grandfathers old shit box from the 60's.

It is 2017 and these trucks are not cheap. It is called being with the times and being in a safer vehicle. If you prefer a POS "real truck" then go buy yourself a "real truck" for a couple hundred bucks off craigslist. I'm sure it'll keep you busy with BS problems and headaches for YEARS to come.
C9H13NO3 likes this.

post #27 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 08:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares05050 View Post
Congrats. You represent 100% of the minority of NEW truck owners. NOBODY wants to drive your grandfathers old shit box from the 60's.

It is 2017 and these trucks are not cheap. It is called being with the times and being in a safer vehicle. If you prefer a POS "real truck" then go buy yourself a "real truck" for a couple hundred bucks off craigslist. I'm sure it'll keep you busy with BS problems and headaches for YEARS to come.
Right, they're not cheap. So why advocate for more garbage to be added that only hurts the longevity of the vehicle? Wouldn't you want to get your money's worth? I know I would. And I'm not sure how exactly making everything automated makes a vehicle safer. Airbags make a vehicle safer. A well constructed frame that protects the driver in a crash makes a vehicle safer. Heated steering wheels and push button starts do not. And lane departure warning and this other bs that manufacturers are pushing nowadays only makes drivers more reliant on the vehicle and hinders their actual driving ability. I forget which commercial it was but it showed a vehicle that parallel parked itself (no it wasn't a Tesla). I mean really? It's not about getting with the times, it's about pure laziness of this new generation of car owners. It's not hard to get out of your vehicle and pop the hood every once in a while, or check air in your tires. I couldn't believe the amount of people that would come in constantly to the dealership I used to work at and asked our techs to put air in their tires, even when we had a free air station right out front. If you can't perform basic tasks like that then you shouldn't be on the road. There's a line between using technology to your advantage and going stupidly overboard with it and these new vehicles are leaning more towards the latter

Last edited by Randall Conway; 03-12-2017 at 08:42 PM.
post #28 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 08:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Right, they're not cheap. So why advocate for more garbage to be added that only hurts the longevity of the vehicle? Wouldn't you want to get your money's worth? I know I would. And I'm not sure how exactly making everything automated makes a vehicle safer. Airbags make a vehicle safer. A well constructed frame that protects the driver in a crash makes a vehicle safer. Heated steering wheels and push button starts do not. And lane departure warning and this other bs that manufacturers are pushing nowadays only makes drivers more reliant on the vehicle. I forget which commercial it was but it showed a vehicle that parallel parked itself (no it wasn't a Tesla). I mean really? It's not about getting with the times, it's about pure laziness of this new generation of car owners. It's not hard to get out of your vehicle and pop the hood every once in a while, or check air in your tires. I couldn't believe the amount of people that would come in constantly to the dealership I used to work at and asked our techs to put air in their tires, even when we had a free air station right out front. If you can't perform basic tasks like that then you shouldn't be on the road.

You also don't "NEED" hot water to take a shower.

It is nice to have. If I am spending 40K on a Truck, I WANT the ABILITY to MAYBE use something that will make my life EASIER.

My past two vehicles (BMW and Mercedes) Both had keyless keyfobs which unlocked my doors and locked them for me as well as me never taking my keys out of my pocket. It allowed my to Jump in the cars and hit the push start and take off. Nothing ever happened with them. They never failed. In fact, most car companies are putting push starts in nowadays. It's called a convenience. It is NICE to have...just like your hot water.

If you don't want it, then buy an 18k base model with stick shift and a 4 cyl. TO EACH THEIR OWN.

But, please, don't go around calling people "lazy" or out of touch with their vehicles just cause you may be 70 and retired and have 23 hours a day to put air in tires while someone else may be 35 with 4 kids and a busy schedule. Some of these newer features help manage life a little easier and if somethings wrong with the truck a diagnostic tool will tell you what the problem is.

I wouldn't be so quick to lump someone who couldn't be bothered to put air in their tires vs most of the rest of us who just want to enjoy our purchase.
C9H13NO3 and BamCam like this.

post #29 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Right, they're not cheap. So why advocate for more garbage to be added that only hurts the longevity of the vehicle? Wouldn't you want to get your money's worth? I know I would. And I'm not sure how exactly making everything automated makes a vehicle safer. Airbags make a vehicle safer. A well constructed frame that protects the driver in a crash makes a vehicle safer. Heated steering wheels and push button starts do not. And lane departure warning and this other bs that manufacturers are pushing nowadays only makes drivers more reliant on the vehicle and hinders their actual driving ability. I forget which commercial it was but it showed a vehicle that parallel parked itself (no it wasn't a Tesla). I mean really? It's not about getting with the times, it's about pure laziness of this new generation of car owners. It's not hard to get out of your vehicle and pop the hood every once in a while, or check air in your tires. I couldn't believe the amount of people that would come in constantly to the dealership I used to work at and asked our techs to put air in their tires, even when we had a free air station right out front. If you can't perform basic tasks like that then you shouldn't be on the road. There's a line between using technology to your advantage and going stupidly overboard with it and these new vehicles are leaning more towards the latter
Is it really too much to ask that our trucks come with an option that's available on cars that sell for $9k (new)?
C9H13NO3 likes this.
post #30 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 08:59 PM

Garage
Quote:

It is nice to have. If I am spending 40K on a Truck, I WANT the ABILITY to MAYBE use something that will make my life EASIER.

My past two vehicles (BMW and Mercedes) Both had keyless keyfobs which unlocked my doors and locked them for me as well as me never taking my keys out of my pocket. It allowed my to Jump in the cars and hit the push start and take off. Nothing ever happened with them. They never failed. In fact, most car companies are putting push starts in nowadays. It's called a convenience. It is NICE to have...just like your hot water.

If you don't want it, then buy an 18k base model with stick shift and a 4 cyl. TO EACH THEIR OWN.

But, please, don't go around calling people "lazy" or out of touch with their vehicles just cause you may be 70 and retired and have 23 hours a day to put air in tires while someone else may be 35 with 4 kids and a busy schedule. Some of these newer features help manage life a little easier and if somethings wrong with the truck a diagnostic tool will tell you what the problem is.

I wouldn't be so quick to lump someone who couldn't be bothered to put air in their tires vs most of the rest of us who just want to enjoy our purchase.

I am actually 21 but I grew up working on cars and know the value of proper vehicle care. But honestly it goes beyond the TPMS system. You have people in older vehicles without it that are riding around with 10psi in their bald tires because they are too ignorant to know better. Not only that, but they are endangering myself, my family, and everyone else on the road in the process. Ignorance in vehicles can actually be dangerous. I'm not saying everyone needs to know how to tear down an engine, but putting air in tires and monitoring your oil are basic parts of owning a vehicle and should be required parts of driver's tests IMO. And regardless of if you have 8 kids, there's no excuse for not allotting for maybe a total of 5 minutes every other week at the gas station to check up on your vehicle.
post #31 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
I am actually 21 but I grew up working on cars and know the value of proper vehicle care. But honestly it goes beyond the TPMS system. You have people in older vehicles without it that are riding around with 10psi in their bald tires because they are too ignorant to know better. Not only that, but they are endangering myself, my family, and everyone else on the road in the process. Ignorance in vehicles can actually be dangerous. I'm not saying everyone needs to know how to tear down an engine, but putting air in tires and monitoring your oil are basic parts of owning a vehicle and should be required parts of driver's tests IMO. And regardless of if you have 8 kids, there's no excuse for not allotting for maybe a total of 5 minutes every other week at the gas station to check up on your vehicle.

Well, you are going to soon find out that in life nobody gives a shit about you. The only thing you can do is worry about yourself. I have bought 13 brand new vehicles in the last 10 years. Most of the time I didn't even own them long enough to have to check the air in the tires.

If I spend my money on something, it is because of what it has and the future of vehicles is going ALL technology. You can't stop that. So you might as well enjoy it.

post #32 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Well, you are going to soon find out that in life nobody gives a shit about you. The only thing you can do is worry about yourself. I have bought 13 brand new vehicles in the last 10 years. Most of the time I didn't even own them long enough to have to check the air in the tires.

If I spend my money on something, it is because of what it has and the future of vehicles is going ALL technology. You can't stop that. So you might as well enjoy it.
Are you triggered because you are among the people I describe? Unless Goodyear works out the bugs in those airless tires they've been testing, I don't think tires are going to change anytime soon. Nor is putting oil in your engine, at least for the next couple decades. I call these people out of touch because they are, and are a hazard on the road. Though a good thing about it, for me at least, is the junkyards will be full of twins in 10 years or so for me to pick apart because of these people running them into the ground and exchanging them like iPhones.
post #33 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Look, we get it. You're young and have a chip on your shoulder - congratulations for finding a cause. By the time you get a little older and wiser, hopefully you'll accept the things you cannot change (the ignorance of the average person) and move on to worrying about things that actually matter in life.

As a lifelong gearhead (someone who religiously monitored my vehicles before the advent of "nanny" systems), I personally love having information like individual pressure readings for every tire, oil pressure, transmission temperature, etc. Proximity sensors and push-button start are not luxury, and there's nothing endearing or inherently better about traditional key-start systems.

The premise of your entire "laziness" argument is the real travesty here: it's poor logic and a faulty argument.

Last edited by rbloedow; 03-12-2017 at 09:23 PM.
post #34 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:15 PM

I've been driving my 69 C-10 for the last two years. I don't mind having to use a key to unlock. It's a tiny bit irritating to use one key for the door, and another for the ignition. It's a little more irritating to have to use the key to LOCK the door. (no, you can't push the button down, hold the door button while closing or anything else, that was the 70's).

But it's ANNOYING AS HELL having to get out and go around the truck and align the passenger side mirror, then get in, realize you did it wrong, get out again, finally get it right, and then 3 days later it's back out of alignment.

That's right, I'm an old fart who loves old trucks, but I'm getting a new colorado because I MISS ELECTRIC MIRRORS! Sue me.
JBT, C9H13NO3, BamCam and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Hal Waldrop; 03-12-2017 at 10:18 PM.
post #35 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:40 PM

Outside of the Ridgeline that some don't consider a truck, does Toyota, Nissan, Ford or GM make a truck with push button start? I expect Fiat to probably put it on Ram trucks since they went to a rotary knob for a gear shifter.

If it ain't on a FS truck why would you expect it on the economy model?

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #36 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:51 PM

Should also ask what the MSRP is for any truck with push button start?

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #37 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
Are you triggered because you are among the people I describe? Unless Goodyear works out the bugs in those airless tires they've been testing, I don't think tires are going to change anytime soon. Nor is putting oil in your engine, at least for the next couple decades. I call these people out of touch because they are, and are a hazard on the road. Though a good thing about it, for me at least, is the junkyards will be full of twins in 10 years or so for me to pick apart because of these people running them into the ground and exchanging them like iPhones.
I've gone through and cleaned this thread up a bit. Both of you need to knock it off and get back on topic. Consider this your warning.
C9H13NO3 and Whocares05050 like this.

2015 Colorado Red Rock Metallic CC Long Bed Z71 4x4
-Mods So Far: Rally Armor UR Plus Flaps, Yellow Tinted Fog Lights, Access Vanish Cover, Linex, EGR Matte Black Wind Deflectors, P3 Brake Controller, MBRP Stainless Steel Cat-Back, Anzo LED Tail-lights, Uniden Bearcat 880 CB w/3' Firestik, Falken ATw3 Wildpeak 265/65R17 tires

Self Diagnosed RC Car/Truck Addict

Site Rules
post #38 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:16 AM
JBT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Waldrop View Post
I've been driving my 69 C-10 for the last two years. I don't mind having to use a key to unlock. It's a tiny bit irritating to use one key for the door, and another for the ignition. It's a little more irritating to have to use the key to LOCK the door. (no, you can't push the button down, hold the door button while closing or anything else, that was the 70's).

But it's ANNOYING AS HELL having to get out and go around the truck and align the passenger side mirror, then get in, realize you did it wrong, get out again, finally get it right, and then 3 days later it's back out of alignment.

That's right, I'm an old fart who loves old trucks, but I'm getting a new colorado because I MISS ELECTRIC MIRRORS! Sue me.
This is great! Been there

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab
post #39 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:13 AM

Garage
Quote:

I'm well over 70, and would love to have keyless. My VW TDI had it, my wife's Explorer has it and I keep forgetting to get the key out before I sit down. Pain in the butt when you are wearing Levi's, get out get key get back in...
Whocares05050 likes this.
post #40 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:11 AM

Garage
Here are my thoughts on the primary problem with keyless systems. Security, that is my problem. Let me explain. While security using a keyless system may be acceptable now, although some would argue that point even today, It is a static implementation. Once it is set it is not improved or upgraded. I work in the IT security field and if there is one thing I am sure of is that all electronic and digital security measures are just temporary. No matter how strong you think it is sooner or later an exploit will be found and used. Now with the types of devices that I use and support that isn't a huge problem since we can easily update and patch to protect from those exploits as they are discovered. An auto however does not receive that level of support from auto makers. There are whitepapers out there that already show several avenues of attack for current keyless technologies so the exploits are already out there. While keyless technologies are decently secure they are not a panacea and certainly not foolproof. A hard key is just as secure in but different ways. A combination of a hard key with an embedded transponder chip is probably the most secure by virtue of having the benefits of both. The new Colorado and Canyons use a transponder key so from the standpoint of security they are better equipped than a keyless system and also have an improved element of redundancy that keyless systems do not share.

This is just my opinion. I realize that everyone places different value on security over convenience. I thought that it was a consideration that no one has mentioned and for me anyway an important one.
CaryBosse likes this.

2016 GMC Canyon EC All Terrain V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode