Keyless Entry / Push-button Start - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Outside of the Ridgeline that some don't consider a truck, does Toyota, Nissan, Ford or GM make a truck with push button start? I expect Fiat to probably put it on Ram trucks since they went to a rotary knob for a gear shifter.

If it ain't on a FS truck why would you expect it on the economy model?
I believe the two F350s that my stepdad just purchased have the intelligent locks and push button start. They are also 75K each! I understand they are not quite on the same level but if a truck that will spend 90% of it's life connected to a fifth wheel can get push-button why can't city cruisers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:31 AM

You need the key since the tail gate does not lock and unlock via the FOB, at least with my new Canyon. But, I am sure it is so that the vehicles are not stolen from driveways when the remote start is activated. I know having the FOB in your pocket could solve this....

2000 Supercharged Miata
2003 GMC Envoy SLT
2017 GMC 4WD Canyon Denali
post #43 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:26 AM

Garage
My cousin recently purchased a 2011 Chevy Cruze and he has one of these switchblade style flip out key/FOB combo units (stock image attached). Has anyone looked into programming one of these to our twins? I want all of the buttons and functionality that we have, but I would prefer the one piece unit to my key and remote separates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TIK-GM-41.jpg (23.4 KB, 17 views)

post #44 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearL View Post
My cousin recently purchased a 2011 Chevy Cruze and he has one of these switchblade style flip out key/FOB combo units (stock image attached). Has anyone looked into programming one of these to our twins? I want all of the buttons and functionality that we have, but I would prefer the one piece unit to my key and remote separates.
Those have been known to break off easily and cost quite a bit to replace

2016 Canyon All-Terrain 4x4 3.6L v6 ECLB
BNR Tune via Diablosport i2
Amsoil fluids bumper to bumper
Speedliner spray-on bedliner
Weathertech floor mats
AVS hood deflector and window visors
A.R.E MX bed cap w/ Yakima roof rack
Undercover Swingcases
Carhartt seat covers
post #45 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:45 PM

But you prob had the 2nd round key to unlock the door. I remember the 2 key GM days gone by.
post #46 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:29 PM

Garage
Annoying yes, but not a huge deal. With that being said, I have owned a 2000 explorer with the num-pad on the door to get in so to not have something like that in 2017 is fair reason to be annoyed. No signals being broadcasted so nothing to record/hijack. The push button start would be a nice touch too since some VERY cheap cars have it, but I get the whole tailgate issue. My brothers saab 2.0t doesnt have a key per se. It is a compromise of sorts, you still need to turn the key in the center console but the key/fob are integrated. The chevy builder doesn't seem to be working at the moment so I cant read all the useless features in the convenience package such as lane departure, collision alert and whatever they call the light that lets you know a car is next to you, but a one piece key, REAL keyless entry, and electric tailgate lock is what I would have paid 2k for not features that make me a dumber driver. Im sorry but if you purchased the convenience package, you shouldn't be allowed to have airbags... at least for the driver. Tbh I am surprised people are more aggravated by this than the fact that using the key to unlock the door sets off the alarm. Would love to meet the designer of that amazing feature.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_32.JPG (55.8 KB, 22 views)

Air Dam delete
LED Lights/Signals
HID High/Low
RC 1" Level
aFe Momentum GT
MBRP Exhaust
Elite Catch Can
Trifecta Tune

Last edited by C9H13NO3; 03-17-2017 at 07:32 PM.
post #47 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares05050 View Post
My past few vehicles (Mercedes-Benz and BMW) all had keyless entry and push start. I dont even ever remember taking my key fob out of my pocket. Doors auto unlocked when I grabbed door handle and push started and then auto locked when I got out and kust tapped the door handle.

The Colorado is a big downground for me for my laziness haha
all i can say is wow....that rifle is soooo nice.
C9H13NO3 and Whocares05050 like this.
post #48 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brny67 View Post
all i can say is wow....that rifle is soooo nice.
If you've got a few grand to blow, they are one of the best companies out their to own a firearm from. I've got a few Wilson 1911's and AR's Pure awesome:

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/

post #49 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Ox View Post
I just purchased a new 2017 Colorado Z71, and after having not owned a truck for almost 20yrs, I have to say that I’m enjoying it. Mostly. One missing feature still baffles me a couple of weeks after ownership. It’s 2017...shouldn’t all new vehicles with an enhanced package, like the Z71, come equipped with keyless entry and push-button start? My Z71 doesn’t even include a FOB design with a fold-away key.

I’m sure a few (many?) on here will claim that it’s not difficult to pull out a key FOB and key, unlock a door, insert the key, and start the engine. But for those that have owned multiple vehicles with keyless entry and push-button start, it’s unnecessarily cumbersome. I thought I cleverly solved it by simply unlocking the doors, initiating a remote start and then putting the keys back in my pocket. Then I discovered that you still must insert the key in the ignition (within 10mins I think) or the engine will cut out.

I’ve browsed this forum but haven’t found much regarding solutions, outside of some saying that they leave the key in the ignition. Since this isn’t a realistic option for me, are there any other solutions that owners on here have implemented with success? Or possibly a way to bypass/disable the key-insertion requirement after a remote start? Since I couldn’t find any recent posts on this topic, I thought maybe something may exist now?

Thanks in advance for any advice….even to those that will imply I’m lazy for not wanting to constantly dig into my pocket like Neanderthals once did. J

I found a while back this site.
Advanced Keys - AK-105B Smart Key with Push Start System
this is something that could work. but i'm not sure if its beeen done on the twins but it might be worth investigating.
Boatswagen likes this.

Last edited by n1d0n; 03-17-2017 at 08:30 PM. Reason: mistakes
post #50 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
I am surprised people are more aggravated by this than the fact that using the key to unlock the door sets off the alarm. Would love to meet the designer of that amazing feature.
Amen brothah. Amen.
post #51 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1d0n View Post
I found a while back this site.
Advanced Keys - AK-105B Smart Key with Push Start System
this is something that could work. but i'm not sure if its beeen done on the twins but it might be worth investigating.
Does the key in the colorado lock the steering wheel? If it does I don't think this could be made to work without still inserting the key and turning it.
CaryBosse likes this.
post #52 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:02 PM

Keyless entry/pushbutton start are luxuries, not necessities.
JBT and CaryBosse like this.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #53 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Waldrop View Post
Does the key in the colorado lock the steering wheel? If it does I don't think this could be made to work without still inserting the key and turning it.
I thnk the way it works is taht you will need a key in the on positiom to always be there after with a cover that hides it.
post #54 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
Annoying yes, but not a huge deal. With that being said, I have owned a 2000 explorer with the num-pad on the door to get in so to not have something like that in 2017 is fair reason to be annoyed. No signals being broadcasted so nothing to record/hijack. The push button start would be a nice touch too since some VERY cheap cars have it, but I get the whole tailgate issue. My brothers saab 2.0t doesnt have a key per se. It is a compromise of sorts, you still need to turn the key in the center console but the key/fob are integrated. The chevy builder doesn't seem to be working at the moment so I cant read all the useless features in the convenience package such as lane departure, collision alert and whatever they call the light that lets you know a car is next to you, but a one piece key, REAL keyless entry, and electric tailgate lock is what I would have paid 2k for not features that make me a dumber driver. Im sorry but if you purchased the convenience package, you shouldn't be allowed to have airbags... at least for the driver. Tbh I am surprised people are more aggravated by this than the fact that using the key to unlock the door sets off the alarm. Would love to meet the designer of that amazing feature.
When I ordered my Duramax Canyon, the lane departure and collision alert was included in the towing package. Not optional. I guess because I bought my truck with the intention of towing a travel trailer, I don't deserve airbags?

2016 Canyon SLE diesel, Brownstone Metallic, Towing Package, etc.

Mods:
Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite
Factory GMC front Mud Flaps
BigBoi Headlight Switch Mod

In the garage: 2002 Z06

post #55 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista View Post
Keyless entry/pushbutton start are luxuries, not necessities.
Yes, it's a luxury, but it's also the only feature(s) I wish my 2015 Canyon SLT came with.
post #56 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKC808 View Post
Yes, it's a luxury, but it's also the only feature(s) I wish my 2015 Canyon SLT came with.
I understand your desire to have it but I've seen folks on here who seem to get all worked up about not having a particular option(s).

Are we as a society getting so lazy that instead of putting the key in the ignition and turning it to start/stop the engine, we want to be ab;e to leave the key in our pocket and push a button instead?

HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases

post #57 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista View Post
I understand your desire to have it but I've seen folks on here who seem to get all worked up about not having a particular option(s).

Are we as a society getting so lazy that instead of putting the key in the ignition and turning it to start/stop the engine, we want to be ab;e to leave the key in our pocket and push a button instead?
Well, I really think it would be better if I could just think "START" and my truck would crank the engine.

While you are at it, perhaps design a truck that I could whistle and it would drive up to the front door of where ever I happened to be, open the door, and I could step in without getting wet in the rain. (Working on that red carpet that rolls out and keeps my shoes dry as well.)

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #58 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 02:51 PM

^^^You forgot the "washes itself" option. lol

post #59 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 04:19 PM

I think I would be saying the same things you guys are saying if I've never owned a vehicle with keyless entry/push button start. Have you guys ever had a vehicle with keyless entry/push button start?
post #60 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKC808 View Post
I think I would be saying the same things you guys are saying if I've never owned a vehicle with keyless entry/push button start. Have you guys ever had a vehicle with keyless entry/push button start?
No. I rode in a Lexus once. The young lady had just gotten it, I was afraid she was going to kill someone. She couldn't figure out if the hybrid was in gear, the engine was active, etc. (As a hybrid, it was basically a start/stop technology too.)

I am old school. Give me a lever to shift gears, whether on the tree or on the console, I want positive feedback of what I do. You guys keep this up and I may resort back to my old Wrangler for comfort.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode