Keyless Entry / Push-button Start - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Keyless Entry / Push-button Start

I just purchased a new 2017 Colorado Z71, and after having not owned a truck for almost 20yrs, I have to say that Iím enjoying it. Mostly. One missing feature still baffles me a couple of weeks after ownership. Itís 2017...shouldnít all new vehicles with an enhanced package, like the Z71, come equipped with keyless entry and push-button start? My Z71 doesnít even include a FOB design with a fold-away key.

Iím sure a few (many?) on here will claim that itís not difficult to pull out a key FOB and key, unlock a door, insert the key, and start the engine. But for those that have owned multiple vehicles with keyless entry and push-button start, itís unnecessarily cumbersome. I thought I cleverly solved it by simply unlocking the doors, initiating a remote start and then putting the keys back in my pocket. Then I discovered that you still must insert the key in the ignition (within 10mins I think) or the engine will cut out.

Iíve browsed this forum but havenít found much regarding solutions, outside of some saying that they leave the key in the ignition. Since this isnít a realistic option for me, are there any other solutions that owners on here have implemented with success? Or possibly a way to bypass/disable the key-insertion requirement after a remote start? Since I couldnít find any recent posts on this topic, I thought maybe something may exist now?

Thanks in advance for any adviceÖ.even to those that will imply Iím lazy for not wanting to constantly dig into my pocket like Neanderthals once did. J
Tractman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 11:44 AM

Garage
Sorry man, nothing available right now. There was a thread awhile back where people were trying to swap keys for the older folding GM key fobs, but even that didn't work. Couldn't get the fobs to register. Good luck.

"Stormtrooper"
2016 Colorado Z71 - Crew Cab - Long Box
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 11:52 AM

There are multiple threads, or at least hijacks of threads, on this topic.

You are trying to take it a step further, rather than complain, you are trying to hack the ignition switch, for want of a better description.

The key switch is required to unlock the transmission shifter and the steering wheel, so ignoring the Body Control Module that will not like what you are trying to do, that is the first "mechanical" obstacle that comes to mind.

Additionally, there are none of the safety/theft features built into the Twins to prevent anyone from jumping in your truck and driving off if you solve the mechanical problems.

This may sound like I am being a jerk, but the fact that you thought you could just use the remote start to enable a keyless operation of the Twins tells me you don't have a good enough understanding of the differences between the two systems to undertake this hack.

(FYI, I don't have the understanding of the keyless system to undertake the hack, but I know enough about the basic key-required system to recognize the significant hardware/software hurdles that will need to be overcome.)

Perhaps a Ridgeline is in your future.

Just looked at the Ridgeline Owners manual. It takes 9 pages to explain how to use the remote on the Ridgeline. Not sure how long it would take my feeble mind to figure all 9 pages out. I figured out my truck key without ever opening my owner's manual. Guess I ain't smart enough to drive a Ridgeline. The Twins are in my future.
jljones and rcwarner like this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 12:11 PM

I have keyless entry and push button start in my RAM, so when my Canyon comes in I will lose that feature. I would have thought the Denali would have had this feature, but I can only assume it would take a lot of design changes to other components to add this in.

I also have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler that still has the traditional ignition key with remote unlock. I switch between both vehicles all the time without issue, and honestly without even really thinking about it. Really the only time I'm going to miss the keyless entry is when I have my hands full and now I can just touch the door handle and my RAM unlocks the door if the key fob is in my pocket, so no fumbling for keys. Will I miss this - yes. Deal breaker - not even close. JMHO and 1.5 cents.

2017 Canyon Denali 3.6L 4x4 Long Bed Dark Slate Metallic.
Ordered 2/17/2017
In my driveway 4/5/17.
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 12:35 PM

Garage
My past few vehicles (Mercedes-Benz and BMW) all had keyless entry and push start. I dont even ever remember taking my key fob out of my pocket. Doors auto unlocked when I grabbed door handle and push started and then auto locked when I got out and kust tapped the door handle.

The Colorado is a big downground for me for my laziness haha
Aaronpaul and doug5336 like this.

post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the very prompt feedback....even if it wasn't "good news." It sounds like I'm out of luck regarding a solution to my dilemma and I need to just accept the GM design decision. Regarding one of the responses above...I'm most definitely not ready (or probably qualified) to start modifying mechanical systems to overcome security features. If it's not an embedded setting in the dash UI, or at worst solved by simply flashing a BIOS that someone else has programmed, then I'm out.

One last comment, since I obviously can't let this go quite yet... I still can't believe that they at least didn't incorporate a fold-away key FOB. And based on another response above...I guess any hopes of that "fix" is out of the question also. Oh well...

Thanks again for everyone's advice.
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Ox View Post
Thank you all for the very prompt feedback....even if it wasn't "good news." It sounds like I'm out of luck regarding a solution to my dilemma and I need to just accept the GM design decision. Regarding one of the responses above...I'm most definitely not ready (or probably qualified) to start modifying mechanical systems to overcome security features. If it's not an embedded setting in the dash UI, or at worst solved by simply flashing a BIOS that someone else has programmed, then I'm out.

One last comment, since I obviously can't let this go quite yet... I still can't believe that they at least didn't incorporate a fold-away key FOB. And based on another response above...I guess any hopes of that "fix" is out of the question also. Oh well...

Thanks again for everyone's advice.
GM had a major recall on Camaros with the folding key FOB because Wilt Chamberlain figured out that if he folded his 7 foot body into a Camaro with the seat all the way forward he could bump his knee against the one piece FOB/Key and turn the engine off, and didn't have a clue how to operate a car that lost all power accessories.

I suspect they will shy away from the one piece FOBs in the future.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:15 PM

Garage
FOB (shipping)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
FOB, "Free On Board", is a term in international commercial law specifying at what point respective obligations, costs, and risk involved in the delivery of goods shift from the seller to the buyer. Under the Incoterms 2010 standard published by the International Chamber of Commerce, FOB is only used in non-containerized sea freight or inland waterway transport. FOB terms do not define transfer of ownership of the goods. Ownership of the cargo is independent from incoterms. In international trade, ownership of the cargo is defined by the bill of lading or waybill.

This term FOB is also used in modern domestic shipping within the USA to describe the point at which a seller is no longer responsible for shipping cost.

fob1
fšb/Submit
noun
a chain attached to a watch for carrying in a waistcoat or waistband pocket.
a small ornament attached to a watch chain.
a small pocket for carrying a watch.
noun: fob pocket; plural noun: fob pockets

2017 Crew Cab Long Box Z71 V6 4WD Brownstone
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:24 PM

Don't need it. Not a deal breaker for me.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:26 PM

Back in the 80's I had an old c10 that had a keyless ignition. Basically, the key would fall out of the ignition cylinder and you could turn the car on/off without the key anyway. So I really didn't have to bother with a key.
I can't believe I have to actually use a key in my Colorado! What a pain! 😂

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
JBT, Krystof, timmylee1958 and 1 others like this.
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
FOB (shipping)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
FOB, "Free On Board", is a term in international commercial law specifying at what point respective obligations, costs, and risk involved in the delivery of goods shift from the seller to the buyer. Under the Incoterms 2010 standard published by the International Chamber of Commerce, FOB is only used in non-containerized sea freight or inland waterway transport. FOB terms do not define transfer of ownership of the goods. Ownership of the cargo is independent from incoterms. In international trade, ownership of the cargo is defined by the bill of lading or waybill.

This term FOB is also used in modern domestic shipping within the USA to describe the point at which a seller is no longer responsible for shipping cost.

fob1
fšb/Submit
noun
a chain attached to a watch for carrying in a waistcoat or waistband pocket.
a small ornament attached to a watch chain.
a small pocket for carrying a watch.
noun: fob pocket; plural noun: fob pockets
Thanks?

Get your truck first, then you can be snarky. Lol.
CaryBosse likes this.

"Stormtrooper"
2016 Colorado Z71 - Crew Cab - Long Box
post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:46 PM

Garage
I don't see where pointing out the difference between the word "fob" and the abbreviation "FOB" is snarky. But if it is, hell why wait? I been around here awhile.

snark∑y
ˈsnšrkē/
adjectiveNORTH AMERICANinformal
(of a person, words, or a mood) sharply critical; cutting; snide.
"the kid who makes snarky remarks in class"
cranky; irritable.
"Bobby's always a bit snarky before his nap"

Yeah well, I haven't had a nap today, maybe that's it.
Krystof likes this.

post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:50 PM

I don't know...I've never had a vehicle with the push button start. In thinking about it, can you shut the car off in a rare, if never, emergency situation? Probably never have to do it, but with a key in the ignition, at least I could turn the car off mid driving during an emergency.
I always thought about that. Silly, I guess.
post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:58 PM

Garage
It is a pretty cool option. Never owned one but worked on a few when it was really new, way before the Japanese ever thought of it. Or copied it to be more precise. Anyways I can see the disappointment in coming in to a Colorado from anything that has it, sort of like having a car with remote unlock and now all of a sudden you have to unlock it with a key. Must be the same reaction owners of classic cars have when they drive their old cars, like "OH I have to use this key to unlock the car door, how quaint".

post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 02:49 AM

Turning an ignition key to start the engine has never been a major stumbling block in the operation of a vehicle for me. Of course I prefer old black and white movies, making my own decisions, contrary to Gov entities who feel they can do it better, and living a life without exciting my body with drugs, anti social behavior or booze.
I do like hunting, 55 Chevy's and girls ( not in that particular order) and pay my bills on time......so I guess i shall continue to struggle with the nav system and continue to turn the key to enjoy my new truck.
CaryBosse, RatRacer and PAR like this.

2015 Canyon, SLT, CC, 4x4, Copper Red Metallic, Nav, Bose, Trailer pkg, Safety pkg, Eng heater, steps, Extang tri fold hard cover, flaps.
post #16 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 04:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
Turning an ignition key to start the engine has never been a major stumbling block in the operation of a vehicle for me. Of course I prefer old black and white movies, making my own decisions, contrary to Gov entities who feel they can do it better, and living a life without exciting my body with drugs, anti social behavior or booze.
I do like hunting, 55 Chevy's and girls ( not in that particular order) and pay my bills on time......so I guess i shall continue to struggle with the nav system and continue to turn the key to enjoy my new truck.
Renegade
RatRacer likes this.

post #17 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 03:30 PM

Garage
I just don't know what to say.

Darrenaoe likes this.

2016 GMC Canyon EC All Terrain V6
post #18 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:36 AM

if you have remote start or push button start, you'd be happy to use a key to unlock the steering wheel. (then then push button start is pointless) thats the last deterrent you have against a thief stealing your truck. theres a device thieves use that looks like a garage door opener and will unlock and start the vehicle without keys. if the steering wheel wasn't locked....your truck is gone

you're always going to have a key backup to unlock doors when battery is dead

Last edited by pltctycanyon; 03-11-2017 at 08:38 AM.
post #19 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:57 AM

Garage
It's a truck, not a Cadillac. This truck already has too much electronic garbage on it IMO. I wish GM would come out with a trim level below the WT. Manual seats, windows, and locks. No TPMS system (though unlikely because of the NHTSA). No lane departure warning. A driver's truck. Time people learned what it's like to actually to drive a vehicle again and take care of one instead of relying on the vehicle to make up for their incompetent driving abilities. But I guess we can thank all these automotive know-nothings who don't care about anything as long as they have their heated seats for that not being feasible.
post #20 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 09:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Conway View Post
It's a truck, not a Cadillac. This truck already has too much electronic garbage on it IMO. I wish GM would come out with a trim level below the WT. Manual seats, windows, and locks. No TPMS system (though unlikely because of the NHTSA). No lane departure warning. A driver's truck. Time people learned what it's like to actually to drive a vehicle again and take care of one instead of relying on the vehicle to make up for their incompetent driving abilities. But I guess we can thank all these automotive know-nothings who don't care about anything as long as they have their heated seats for that not being feasible.
WT= Work Truck trim pkg

Base is below WT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode