Garage
Is that the Toyota TuRD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pltctycanyon View Post
toyota is like the rest but more so. give as little as possible for the most buyer's $$$ and see who bites hoping their reputation for quality(which is lower than ever) keeps selling vehicles..
And it's freaking working!
IF you pay less than MSRP for just a regular Tacoma-in Kalifornistan at least- you got a really good deal.
The PROs are being marked up, $10k+ at some stores, AND THEY'RE GETTING IT!!

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 05:58 AM

Competition is good for GM, but personally I'm amazed at how loyal Taco owners are! My friend went through a living hell with his last Taco, frame rusting out, spare tire rusting out and almost dropping on the highway while driving, power steering system completely corroding out where the mechanic joked to him asking if he drove in the ocean everyday! Last text message I got from him was "I'm never buying another !@#$% Toyota again!" after getting hit with $2K for yet another ridiculous repair (don't recall what it was as he's has so many).

Every time he needed repair or work on his Taco it always seemed to be twice as much as I would pay for my GM.

So what does he do...goes and buys another Toyota because he says they make quality vehicles, he's a perfect example of Toyota's marketing wet-dream!

post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Competition is good for GM, but personally I'm amazed at how loyal Taco owners are! My friend went through a living hell with his last Taco, frame rusting out, spare tire rusting out and almost dropping on the highway while driving, power steering system completely corroding out where the mechanic joked to him asking if he drove in the ocean everyday! Last text message I got from him was "I'm never buying another !@#$% Toyota again!" after getting hit with $2K for yet another ridiculous repair (don't recall what it was as he's has so many).

Every time he needed repair or work on his Taco it always seemed to be twice as much as I would pay for my GM.

So what does he do...goes and buys another Toyota because he says they make quality vehicles, he's a perfect example of Toyota's marketing wet-dream!
You're always gonna hear about those 'horror' stories about the frames - and most of the extreme situations were trucks that were 15+ years old (1st gens). At least Toyota had stepped up to the plate and offered assistance to its owners (buy backs, new frames, and/or coatings). The frame rust issue wasn't caused by Toyota. Dana Corp produced the frames.

From my own experience.....Toyota reliability is top notch. My last taco (when I first bought it) - I 'doubted' the reliability at first. It surely didn't disappoint and resale value is also top notch. The only major issue I had was getting the frame replaced - for free.

This Canyon has A LOT to prove. I'll be impressed if I can get 9 years in with the same reliability. I'm crossing my fingers that ALL the bugs come out before my 3/36 is up. Pending what happens in the next 2 more years - will depend if I keep it and/or get an extended warranty.

It's ALL about brand loyalty until you've been on both sides of the fence.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:21 PM

I love how Toyota fans hold on to the fact that Dana made those frames. The truth is that it doesn't matter who manufacturered it. It was on the vehicle that you produced and by a vendor that you selected. Doesn't matter if it's Toyota, GM, Ford, etc
bac522 likes this.
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Quote:

You're always gonna hear about those 'horror' stories about the frames - and most of the extreme situations were trucks that were 15+ years old (1st gens). At least Toyota had stepped up to the plate and offered assistance to its owners (buy backs, new frames, and/or coatings). The frame rust issue wasn't caused by Toyota. Dana Corp produced the frames.

From my own experience.....Toyota reliability is top notch. My last taco (when I first bought it) - I 'doubted' the reliability at first. It surely didn't disappoint and resale value is also top notch. The only major issue I had was getting the frame replaced - for free.

This Canyon has A LOT to prove. I'll be impressed if I can get 9 years in with the same reliability. I'm crossing my fingers that ALL the bugs come out before my 3/36 is up. Pending what happens in the next 2 more years - will depend if I keep it and/or get an extended warranty.

Yup. It was great, except for replacing the central structure of the vehicle. Heard it too many times to count. "Great car, absolutely would get another. Only had to replace two engines after being left on the side of the road twice in the first 50k. But hey they replaced em under warranty!" Flip side is what you see here, where one bad experience has ten ppl claiming the whole product is junk. The reality: they all break in their own special ways haha. And everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But please stop giving companies like Toyota a free pass. If the same thing happened to your gm, what would you say?

Back on topic, how was the motor in the new taco? Heard it hunts for gears a lot and doesn't have any bottom end.. which is funny to me cause the old six wasn't bad in that truck.. ten years ago when I drove one (since the truck hasn't changed)
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:

From my own experience.....Toyota reliability is top notch. My last taco (when I first bought it) - I 'doubted' the reliability at first. It surely didn't disappoint and resale value is also top notch. The only major issue I had was getting the frame replaced - for free. .
You just proved my point...

My 2005 GMC Canyon went 200K with nothing more then routine maintenance while surviving New England winters...my nephews is now driving it still...his Taco sat in a garage and still had all those problems. I'm not loyal to any manufacturer, but seriously....who cares who made the frame and yes kudo's to Toyota for standing behind it, but there comes a point where one needs to draw a line.

Last edited by bac522; 04-12-2017 at 07:30 AM.
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

The sales associate was pointing out the power when I was getting on it in a on-ramp and shifting through the gears with the little shift lever but I was thinking..."is that it"?
3.5 liter is low on torque and hp in my book and I think the GM twins won this battle too. I'll be anxious to see how the ZR2 feels with the lift and the suspension .
The TRD-Pro is sporting the Toyota's upgraded suspension as well but it appears to be a lift with better shocks and some fancy graphics on the struts. It looks good and ride pretty decent but thats about all.
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:

I owned a 99 Taco. Nothing but good luck with it. At 75,000 miles the oil at oil change time was still golden (the tech came out and told me that the oil was fresh and did not need to be changed, I told him there was 4000 miles on that oil!). Always ran - sat outside even in the winter. No issues... Until I found out the frame had rusted through. Took it to the dealer, they inspected it and took pics. Said Toyota would either fix it or buy it back at their discretion. They ended up paying me 1.5 times blue book value. It was 12 years old, 152,000 miles and they gave me $11,800 for it! Hard not to have brand loyalty with that.

I test drove the Taco before buying the Colorado. After all my research I figured the Colorado was a much better truck. I liked the looks of the Colorado too. Didnt like the looks of the redesigned Taco... No regrets.
100MPG and Janster like this.

-DANO-

2015 Black Z71 CrewCab
3.6 V6, 4x4
Low Profile Tonneau Cover
"Bullet" Spray-In Bedliner
Factory Running Boards
Weathertech Mud Flaps
Phillips H11 X-tremeVision Low Beam Bulbs
OPT7 CREE V2 XB-D LED Fog Light Bulbs
Chin Spoiler Removed!
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:

Tell my buddy who had a rusted frame and they said sorry but you are one year outside out recall.

The truth is Toyota really had an extensive issue and they tried to buy their way out. They were not doing it for the customer.
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperv6 View Post
Tell my buddy who had a rusted frame and they said sorry but you are one year outside out recall.

The truth is Toyota really had an extensive issue and they tried to buy their way out. They were not doing it for the customer.
They were very effective with their buy out plan. Prior to my search for a truck leading me here, I had never heard about the frame rust out issues.

Arguing about who made the frames is not the issue. The ultimate manufacturer is responsible for what they put on the road. I was one of those suppliers to a Big Three manufacturer, Chrysler. A couple of times a year one of us would get on a plane and fly to Huntsville, Alabama to deal with a complaint on the 60 pin engine control connector we made. The Huntsville plant would wave solder those connectors on the circuit board for the engine control module. The complaint was that the connectors would not solder properly. We would look at the connectors, agree they had a problem, and repeat our suggestion to them that if their engineers would allow us to change the plating specs for the metal the electrical terminals were made from to a higher grade, the problem would go away. However, in order to do that, the price increase on each connector that had 60 terminals and controlled the whole dang engine, would be on the order of $0.02 to $0.03 per automobile.

I always wondered how many field failures occurred when marginally soldered connectors failed as the vehicle bounced down the road. Of course, a bigger concern was the 40-pin variation of this connector we made for the anti-lock brake controller...

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 09:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to haulingnothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
They were very effective with their buy out plan. Prior to my search for a truck leading me here, I had never heard about the frame rust out issues.

Arguing about who made the frames is not the issue. The ultimate manufacturer is responsible for what they put on the road. I was one of those suppliers to a Big Three manufacturer, Chrysler. A couple of times a year one of us would get on a plane and fly to Huntsville, Alabama to deal with a complaint on the 60 pin engine control connector we made. The Huntsville plant would wave solder those connectors on the circuit board for the engine control module. The complaint was that the connectors would not solder properly. We would look at the connectors, agree they had a problem, and repeat our suggestion to them that if their engineers would allow us to change the plating specs for the metal the electrical terminals were made from to a higher grade, the problem would go away. However, in order to do that, the price increase on each connector that had 60 terminals and controlled the whole dang engine, would be on the order of $0.02 to $0.03 per automobile.

I always wondered how many field failures occurred when marginally soldered connectors failed as the vehicle bounced down the road. Of course, a bigger concern was the 40-pin variation of this connector we made for the anti-lock brake controller...
What year(s) did this happen in? I've had Chrysler products with some truly horrific quality issues and I'm wondering if the model years match up with what you're talking about.

I've heard they've made efforts to not be quite so cheap and improve quality since Fiat got involved, but I have no way of knowing if that's true.

2016 Colorado - 2WD Extended Cab LT V6 - Laser Blue - Shoreline Edition

Plasti-Dipped badges - Air dam delete - DRL switch mod - OPT7 LED low beams - Moroso catch can - Pedal Commander
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haulingnothing View Post
What year(s) did this happen in? I've had Chrysler products with some truly horrific quality issues and I'm wondering if the model years match up with what you're talking about.

I've heard they've made efforts to not be quite so cheap and improve quality since Fiat got involved, but I have no way of knowing if that's true.
Probably before you were born.

Believe this started with Model Year 1988 and we were still in manufacture when I left that company in 1991. We were really pinching pennys and smaller denominations back then. It has been so long ago that I can't remember the numbers, but I want to say we were making ~2 million engine control connectors per year.

I will say that when you get in to high volume, pennys can make a big difference. Had a production line once that used 96 million #6 beveled flat washers per year. Originally, the supplier misunderstood my needs, I asked him about 8 million washers for a trial run. He quoted me 8 million per year at $1.20 per thousand. When I explained it was 8 million per month, 96 million per year, he dropped the price to $1.10 per thousand. (Now, how much did I pay for that little bag of 10 washers from Home Depot? The bag and labor to put them in bag and shipping were all more expensive than the washers.)

In the 25 years or so I was in manufacturing, I saw these kinds of issues daily. You should have seen the excitement from management when I figured out a way to cut over $2 out of the price of an $8 assembly that we made 200K of back in the early 1980s. Best part was when I was able to drop our costs, and subsequently the price was dropped, volume rose to 400K as our product was now competitively priced against a lower quality offshore manufacturer.
Two Door likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperv6 View Post

Odds are you would never see it in DFW area. Here in the north and along the ocean it was a very extensive issue. Rust is an issue on anything 12 years and older but generally the body falls off before a frame rots.

The frames here were made to Toyota spec and it was a large issue but they were able to keep a lid on it for the most part since no one died from it. When they frames broke it was not like a surprise to most drives. But when they fail under 10 years old that is a major issue. Bent frames are bad enough but rusted out is a whole different issue.

The problem with most Imports with model built and designed overseas often fail in the salt roads of the north. They have gotten better but we have few to no older imports here as most of their models were never made to out spec. I suspect the frame issue was not so much just saving money but they chose the wrong way to protect it in the harsh conditions the truck is not always sold in. The bodies for years had rotted for the same reasons. I suspect the chosen coating was the issue.

When a company has a crises like this they go into action to dampen the issues and who ever they employed to do this did a good job but they still left many trucks on the road with the same issues as they could not afford to buy them all back with creating issues in the media and stock prices.

The book What did Jesus Drive was written by a man who worked for several of the automakers and was employed to put out PR fires like this. It is interesting to see how things work internally. It really is a great book and a recommended read to anyone who wants to know how things really work.
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 05:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to 100MPG Send a message via MSN to 100MPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDANO View Post
It was 12 years old, 152,000 miles and they gave me $11,800 for it!
makes me wish I bought a taco!
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 06:54 PM

I had been living in Kansas and when I sold my 2001 Taco,the inspector stuck a screw driver through the frame. Mine was beyond the time limit but the dealer went to bat for me since it had 200,000 miles on it and still looked brand new. They had said it was frames from 1998 to 2004 when they changed frame/body. But I hear the newer frames are rusting out also. Some of my neighbors would not talk to me until after I sold the Taco. Something about them or their familys fighting the Japanese in WWII.
CaryBosse likes this.
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 02:31 AM

something about that new TRD PRO doesn't look right. i'd prefer the regular TRD 4x4. but then again, I preferred my diesel collie over even that
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettcity View Post
The sales associate was pointing out the power when I was getting on it in a on-ramp and shifting through the gears with the little shift lever but I was thinking..."is that it"?
3.5 liter is low on torque and hp in my book and I think the GM twins won this battle too. I'll be anxious to see how the ZR2 feels with the lift and the suspension .
The TRD-Pro is sporting the Toyota's upgraded suspension as well but it appears to be a lift with better shocks and some fancy graphics on the struts. It looks good and ride pretty decent but thats about all.
Sales guy let me take it for a good long ride. I didn't just think that, I said it out loud, that's all it has? Brakes were like trying to stop the Flintstone mobile, and weird sitting in it driving. Folks the sweetest baby truck on the road is the one we are driving.
Fasted58 likes this.
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haulingnothing View Post

I'm pretty sure the tacoma frame rust warranty officially started 'after' I sold my 96 tacoma - which was in 2004 (or else I would've had them inspect the frame before selling it).

It was a 15 year frame rust warranty *campaign*.
95.5 - 2001 (1st gen) - If the frame FAILED, Toyota would buy back the truck. If the frame passed, they'd apply frame coating. From what I understand, this added an additional 5 years to that original warranty.

2001-2004 (1st gen) - If the frame FAILED - they replaced the frame. If it passed, they applied frame coating adding 5 years to the warranty.

2005 - 2008 (2nd gen) - If the frame FAILED - they replaced the frame. If it passed, they applied frame coating.

The 15 year warranty *campaign* (they called it) for the 1st gen trucks would've officially ended in 2015 but Toyota pulled the plug on it sooner than that. I just can't remember the date.

The Frame Rust warranty for the 2nd gen (2005-200 only lasted a year or so and ended last year in March. If you didn't get yourself to the dealer prior to March 2016 - you were SOL. Granted - from what I heard, there were a lot of dealerships fighting for folks and alot of complaints to Toyota to have things repaired.

As for the 2009+ trucks - They're still too new to know whether there will be a rust issue or campaign. I'm sure Toyota has made changes to their frame production processes over the years - but it takes upwards of 10 years to know whether you've corrected the issue.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 01:42 PM

There is still a pending class action settlement for the Tacoma rust issues and it's expected to be decided this month. I have an 05 Tacoma, and didn't take mine in for inspection because I live in a dry climate and see only minor surface rust on my frame. The law suit will provide another chance for frame inspection/repair for those who missed the first deadline. I'll take it in this time because I'm thinking of trading for a Colorado and want a clean Carfax on my truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode