I just drove the new TRD-Pro 4 door. - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvblue View Post
There is still a pending class action settlement for the Tacoma rust issues and it's expected to be decided this month. I have an 05 Tacoma, and didn't take mine in for inspection because I live in a dry climate and see only minor surface rust on my frame. The law suit will provide another chance for frame inspection/repair for those who missed the first deadline. I'll take it in this time because I'm thinking of trading for a Colorado and want a clean Carfax on my truck.
My truck was a 2007 and the frame looked perfect form the outside (I live in PA). These frames rust from the INSIDE out so you can't see it from the outside. I actually found a 'soft' spot on the inside of the frame rail under the drivers side door - but it was still painted black on the outside. It just looked 'odd' and when I pressed on it, it was soft. Dealership poked a hole right thru it at that spot. If they're able to find (or poke thru) a 2"hole - they fail it and don't bother inspecting the rest of it.

I could've let it go and not done anything - but you probably won't get as much for it in trade-in value. Guaranteed, they will look for that to reduce the value. The GM dealership I traded it to...was extremely happy my frame had already been done. Less work for them to throw it on their lot to sell it.

BTW... The frame replacement DOES NOT affect the Carfax report. It's strictly a warranty repair. It will never show up on the Carfax. It will only show up on Dealership /Toyota Computers.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
My truck was a 2007 and the frame looked perfect form the outside (I live in PA). These frames rust from the INSIDE out so you can't see it from the outside. I actually found a 'soft' spot on the inside of the frame rail under the drivers side door - but it was still painted black on the outside. It just looked 'odd' and when I pressed on it, it was soft. Dealership poked a hole right thru it at that spot. If they're able to find (or poke thru) a 2"hole - they fail it and don't bother inspecting the rest of it.

I could've let it go and not done anything - but you probably won't get as much for it in trade-in value. Guaranteed, they will look for that to reduce the value. The GM dealership I traded it to...was extremely happy my frame had already been done. Less work for them to throw it on their lot to sell it.

BTW... The frame replacement DOES NOT affect the Carfax report. It's strictly a warranty repair. It will never show up on the Carfax. It will only show up on Dealership /Toyota Computers.
Thanks! That's good stuff to know.
post #43 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 06:45 PM

And this thread degenrates unto a GM -vs- Tacoma thread. Again.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."

post #44 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista View Post
And this thread degenrates unto a GM -vs- Tacoma thread. Again.
Popular threads on both forums. As someone shopping for a new truck, it sure looks like GM is winning.
post #45 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to 100MPG Send a message via MSN to 100MPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista View Post
And this thread degenerates unto a GM -vs- Tacoma thread. Again.
at least it ain't gm vs honda. again.
drewabbs and Binkers78 like this.
post #46 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, sorry about this frame related issues but my main topic discussion was the new TRD-Pro and my thoughts on it. I really was just putting this out there and would like to talk about this new truck, has anyone else test driven it? I am still anxiously awaiting the ZR2 and hit this forum daily. Honestly , I think Toyota is trying to compete here and the next model for 2018 and on could see some changes due to the GM twins moving in on this market.
I'd also like GM to include a few other extras and I am sure it will happen sooner or later and welcome Ford and Nissan to join in.
If anyone has any other comments or news, let's hear it.
post #47 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:23 AM

Haven't driven one yet, but sat inside and checked out the interior compared to a Colorado Z71. I think the Z71 interior is much nicer. The specs show it is a little roomier than the Tacoma and it definitely feels like it.
I need an off road truck, so I'm watching for the ZR2 also. If I got a Z71 I'd have to remove the front spoiler, install a leveling kit and replace the tires with some off road capable tires. I'd rather just get what I want off the line if possible, so that's the TRD Offroad or the ZR2.
I've followed Tacomas for a long time and I don't think they will offer any significant changes for another 8 years. Although they could make some transmission changes due to all of the complaints about the 16 and 17 automatics.
Janster likes this.
post #48 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 03:27 PM

In case you think that Toyota is immune from recalls.

Toyota recalls more than 200,000 Tacoma pickups

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
post #49 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 04:41 PM

Garage
My biggest complaint isn't the half a power seats, it's the lack of a built in garage opener. Hell there are cheap rollerskate compacts that have that feature.Really GM?
TNFurb likes this.

2016 GMC Canyon/All Terrain Adventure/4wd/tow pkg/crew/SB/Sport bar
post #50 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mca2012 View Post
My biggest complaint isn't the half a power seats, it's the lack of a built in garage opener. Hell there are cheap rollerskate compacts that have that feature.Really GM?
Are you talking about the Tacoma or the Twins?

Tacomas don't have power seats. If you buy the Limited Tacoma - it has Homelink in the mirror.

The twins have power seats but don't have Homelink.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #51 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 05:58 PM

Google "Toyota Sludge" to see how helpful to customers Toyota was when their v6's were sludging the oil after 10000 miles.

Then check out the recall on my wife's 2nd gen Scion XB. The engines suddenly start burning oil after 70-100K. The piston oil return holes are too small and clog.

Toyota claimed it was owner's problem for not changing oil enough. Then the government stepped in, just like with the sludging 10 years earlier, and toyota will fix it now, but ONLY if your car burns more than a quart in 1500 miles.

I don't know about yall, but having to put 3 quarts in before an oil change doesn't seem "normal" to me.

(I haven't had this issue and her car is at 105000. But I watch it like a hawk.)

OOPS, sorry. Just diverted off topic again. Hearing about Toyota's reputation just tweaks me.
GraniteBlue05 likes this.

Last edited by Hal Waldrop; 04-27-2017 at 07:02 PM.
post #52 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 12:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Are you talking about the Tacoma or the Twins?

Tacomas don't have power seats. If you buy the Limited Tacoma - it has Homelink in the mirror.

The twins have power seats but don't have Homelink.

The twins, i have a canyon, and it irks me about not having a built in garage opener, last 4 vehicles have had them

2016 GMC Canyon/All Terrain Adventure/4wd/tow pkg/crew/SB/Sport bar
post #53 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 01:09 AM

I have had a couple Toyota trucks. Nothing really relevant to current production, so don't read on if you are maximizing efficiency.

The first was a '79 (I think) 2wd carbureted 2.2L. I think it made 90hp. I towed a ski boat over the Siskiyous numerous times with that truck. I remember replacing a couple head gaskets. I would begin the climb in whatever gear put me just below redline and hold my foot to the floor. I would back off a couple hundred RPM when I saw the oil pressure gauge (SR5) wiggle as that indicated I had foamed the oil pan down to the pickup. The truck regularly rotted off the cat-back as Toyota jetted the thing rich on top to avoid detonation. Basically it worked, had a few issues and we all survived.

Next up was an '89 (I think) 3.0L V6 4WD. I towed the same boat over the same passes and didn't have to work the truck as hard. 4WD was handy on wet ramps. This truck also rotted off cat-backs like nobody's business. By the time the truck was 10 years old it began starting hard. Toyota sent a letter describing the symptoms and suggested I call a dealer.

Long story short, Toyota paid for a pair of head gaskets on a 10 year old out of warranty truck.
I was so impressed that my next vehicle purchase was a piston slapping, brake piston rusting, electrical malfunctioning, transmission failing 4-Runner. Toyota didn't take care of any of that. This time I bought a Chevy. Time will tell.
post #54 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mca2012 View Post
The twins, i have a canyon, and it irks me about not having a built in garage opener, last 4 vehicles have had them
I understand.....but that's nothing compared to all the other things that Canyon has that the Tacoma doesn't. I could care less about the Homelink. I was thrilled about everything else (power seats, black leather interior, remote start, rear disc brakes, G80 locker, Auto 4WD, etc - all of which the Tacoma does not have).

There are plenty of Homelink install How-To's on this forum (search for them). That'll give you something to do over the weekend.
GraniteBlue05 likes this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #55 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 08:30 AM

I and kids in family owned several brands of trucks and cars since 1976 including 4 Toyotas, several Nissans, a Subaru, an Isuzu, Mitsubishi, and 4 Chevy S-10s, a 2005, 2010, and now 2017 Colorado. I had 4 to 5 vehicles to take care of a good part of the time all at once with the kids driving also.
I can't say any were better or worse over all. Some had rust issues, quirky fuel system, expensive parts I thought (Subaru, Toyota and Nissan) unless I bought after market for things like brake rotors, etc. Our last Toyota was a 2001 Sienna my wife bought to haul kids around. It was ok, and I knew about the oil sludging that occurred in the then 3.0L V6 so changed it every 3,000 miles. We sold it at about 87,000 and still ran ok, but started seeing rust on top of the fenders and radiator area under the hood. Folded over sheet metal spot welded in places apparently caught and held salt spray from winter, even though we car washed almost every week and I annually washed the engine bay. It was only 5 years old when that started so the rest of it still looked nice and we traded it.
We tend to keep our vehicles 5 to 7 years and usually one of the kids takes one as a second vehicle to drive till it's too much maintenance.

Anyway, the bottom line for the past +20 years I've stuck mostly with GM because of styling, features and performance for the money. I feel truck and car magazines hype many foreign brands and aren't really any better. I mean, I could never figure out Volkswagen. Plain styling, costly to maintain and now the diesel debacle.
I don't see that Toyota is worth a price premium especially with the issues they've had. I guess it depends on what a person perceives is value and willing to pay for it.
Yup, I wish GM included a few things like the HomeLink, 6-way power seats like I had in my 2010 Colorado, a driver side grab handle, and correct the deplorable front door pockets, and maybe one or two other minor things. I would think by now GM hears and sees that for shorting customers those few things they would otherwise have the best of the best out there in a mid sized truck. For some, those things should either be corrected or GM will loose sales when Ford Ranger comes on board again and Toyota debuts it's new Taco.
CaryBosse, Janster and Fasted58 like this.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.
post #56 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 09:35 AM

I want to like the Tacoma, I really do. But all the Toyotas I've owned so far (sports cars) have been really unreliable. And I really don't know how they got their reputation because I'm in the industry of diagnostic and repair, and there's so many pattern failures they are known for. And their engines aren't really efficient at all. It's weird. Gm is no saint but they really worked on this truck, and it shows. I like the Tacoma's rear bumper and some of the profile, but that front end doesn't do much for me. You know what I want to see? The new Frontier.
TNFurb likes this.

'17 Crew V6, Build log of sound system / Build log of rest of truck modifications
post #57 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 11:46 AM

When I started researching trucks online I found the TRD Pro and pretty quickly became convinced I had found the one for me. Off road capable, looks great in my opinion, and manual transmission! I was pretty excited. Then I went and sat in one. Game over. I'm 6'3" and it was the most uncomfortable truck I've ever been in. I was sitting too high up with no option to adjust the seat height and the steering wheel was touching my legs at its highest position. That and when I got in the back seat I couldn't sit up straight because my head was pressing against the ceiling.

The Colorado is just a bit roomier but that little bit makes a world of difference. I was so excited about the manual transmission option though...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #58 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 04:06 PM

Drive both and then decide.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #59 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 05:31 PM

Garage
I had a T-100 with the original 3.4L 6cyl, and we've had several Tacomas over the last 20 years with the same motor, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I coulda swore GM at least designed the 3.4, if not manufactured it altogether for Toyota.
I've had 7 (or 8?) concussions, and sometimes I confuse reality with shit I prolly dreamt

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #60 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
I had a T-100 with the original 3.4L 6cyl, and we've had several Tacomas over the last 20 years with the same motor, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I coulda swore GM at least designed the 3.4, if not manufactured it altogether for Toyota.
I've had 7 (or 8?) concussions, and sometimes I confuse reality with shit I prolly dreamt
The 5VZ-FE engine (3.4L variant of the VZ family) is Toyota through and through. No GM blood there. It has the same stroke as it's papa, the 3VZ-FE, and parts are similar.
yokev likes this.

'17 Crew V6, Build log of sound system / Build log of rest of truck modifications
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode