I just drove the new TRD-Pro 4 door. - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvblue View Post
There is still a pending class action settlement for the Tacoma rust issues and it's expected to be decided this month. I have an 05 Tacoma, and didn't take mine in for inspection because I live in a dry climate and see only minor surface rust on my frame. The law suit will provide another chance for frame inspection/repair for those who missed the first deadline. I'll take it in this time because I'm thinking of trading for a Colorado and want a clean Carfax on my truck.
My truck was a 2007 and the frame looked perfect form the outside (I live in PA). These frames rust from the INSIDE out so you can't see it from the outside. I actually found a 'soft' spot on the inside of the frame rail under the drivers side door - but it was still painted black on the outside. It just looked 'odd' and when I pressed on it, it was soft. Dealership poked a hole right thru it at that spot. If they're able to find (or poke thru) a 2"hole - they fail it and don't bother inspecting the rest of it.

I could've let it go and not done anything - but you probably won't get as much for it in trade-in value. Guaranteed, they will look for that to reduce the value. The GM dealership I traded it to...was extremely happy my frame had already been done. Less work for them to throw it on their lot to sell it.

BTW... The frame replacement DOES NOT affect the Carfax report. It's strictly a warranty repair. It will never show up on the Carfax. It will only show up on Dealership /Toyota Computers.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
My truck was a 2007 and the frame looked perfect form the outside (I live in PA). These frames rust from the INSIDE out so you can't see it from the outside. I actually found a 'soft' spot on the inside of the frame rail under the drivers side door - but it was still painted black on the outside. It just looked 'odd' and when I pressed on it, it was soft. Dealership poked a hole right thru it at that spot. If they're able to find (or poke thru) a 2"hole - they fail it and don't bother inspecting the rest of it.

I could've let it go and not done anything - but you probably won't get as much for it in trade-in value. Guaranteed, they will look for that to reduce the value. The GM dealership I traded it to...was extremely happy my frame had already been done. Less work for them to throw it on their lot to sell it.

BTW... The frame replacement DOES NOT affect the Carfax report. It's strictly a warranty repair. It will never show up on the Carfax. It will only show up on Dealership /Toyota Computers.
Thanks! That's good stuff to know.
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 06:45 PM

And this thread degenrates unto a GM -vs- Tacoma thread. Again.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."

post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista View Post
And this thread degenrates unto a GM -vs- Tacoma thread. Again.
Popular threads on both forums. As someone shopping for a new truck, it sure looks like GM is winning.
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to 100MPG Send a message via MSN to 100MPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista View Post
And this thread degenerates unto a GM -vs- Tacoma thread. Again.
at least it ain't gm vs honda. again.
post #46 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, sorry about this frame related issues but my main topic discussion was the new TRD-Pro and my thoughts on it. I really was just putting this out there and would like to talk about this new truck, has anyone else test driven it? I am still anxiously awaiting the ZR2 and hit this forum daily. Honestly , I think Toyota is trying to compete here and the next model for 2018 and on could see some changes due to the GM twins moving in on this market.
I'd also like GM to include a few other extras and I am sure it will happen sooner or later and welcome Ford and Nissan to join in.
If anyone has any other comments or news, let's hear it.
post #47 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:23 AM

Haven't driven one yet, but sat inside and checked out the interior compared to a Colorado Z71. I think the Z71 interior is much nicer. The specs show it is a little roomier than the Tacoma and it definitely feels like it.
I need an off road truck, so I'm watching for the ZR2 also. If I got a Z71 I'd have to remove the front spoiler, install a leveling kit and replace the tires with some off road capable tires. I'd rather just get what I want off the line if possible, so that's the TRD Offroad or the ZR2.
I've followed Tacomas for a long time and I don't think they will offer any significant changes for another 8 years. Although they could make some transmission changes due to all of the complaints about the 16 and 17 automatics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode