I just drove the new TRD-Pro 4 door. - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

I just drove the new TRD-Pro 4 door.

Toyota is trying to compete but no power seats? Really?
It is a very nice vehicle with lots of unique features and Toyota add-ons but list MSRP is over 44K.
I thought the interior package was nice with the TRD stuff but the seats could use some power and more adjustment.
Just my thought, not an expert by an means. Seems a little low on power and torque but it is adequate.
The ride quality was very good and even those drum brakes seemed to work very well.
Just my thoughts, the looks was very aggressive and sporty.
Thanks.
Dontwalkongrass likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 11:22 AM

I love how they tried to make the truck wider.

Where GM upgraded the axles and suspension Toyota took the cheap easy way out and just put more offset wheels on.

Weak!
Toughsox and Renthal like this.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperv6 View Post
I love how they tried to make the truck wider.

Where GM upgraded the axles and suspension Toyota took the cheap easy way out and just put more offset wheels on.

Weak!

I am not a fan of the new front, I like the looks of mine much better, but thats why I got mine.
Binkers78 likes this.

2016 Colorado White/black Z71 / Trail Boss Package / Bose

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 11:59 AM

toyota is like the rest but more so. give as little as possible for the most buyer's $$$ and see who bites hoping their reputation for quality(which is lower than ever) keeps selling vehicles. it shows in their taco styling. hyped up 'totally redesigned' release and it basically looks like the same. same thing done with camry and corolla not too long ago.
16Coloradoz71 likes this.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 05:48 PM

Had a 16 4x4 sport fully loaded, traded at 7500 miles. Mine had issues with the transmission along with the pathetic engine. Wouldn't hold 6th gear on the highway. Averaged 16 mpg. Much better with the 17 collie and 8 speed.
Binkers78 likes this.

2017 Z71 4x4 CCSB Cyber Grey
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 06:45 PM

Garage
I love my Colorado but let's not act like Chevy didn't cheap out with the half power seats they put in my/our trucks. LOL. Plenty of reasons I prefer my truck over the Tacoma or whatever else tho...
Two Door likes this.

2016 Colorado LT, Crew Cab
LT Convenience Package
Chevy (factory) Drop-in Bedliner
Black - Westin Pro Traxx 4" Oval Nerf Bars
TonnoPro Tri-fold Tonneau
AVS In-Channel Window Visors
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefymc View Post
I love my Colorado but let's not act like Chevy didn't cheap out with the half power seats they put in my/our trucks. LOL. Plenty of reasons I prefer my truck over the Tacoma or whatever else tho...
The back not power was a shocker
Stevef and beefymc like this.

2016 Colorado White/black Z71 / Trail Boss Package / Bose
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 07:11 PM

When it comes to pricing here you have to keep realistic.

Sure they can add a lot more things but also remember they have a smaller box to price it in vs. full size.

They have to keep it cheap for the entry level and not get much in and over $40K or the true value of the segment is lost and you will only sell to those who what this size only. Lets face it the rebates on the full size do enough damage.
aver3 likes this.
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 08:33 PM

I considered the Tacoma when I bought my Canyon. There were a lot of things I didn't like about it. There were a few things that I wish my truck offered though, I wish I had a power rear slider, keyless start/entry, and a sunroof. I'm pretty sure that stuff isn't even offered on the Denali, which is crazy...
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 09:20 PM

GAN Canyon, i have a Denali on a train somewhere between Wentzville and here, currently I have a 15 SLT. I was expecting to see a sunroof option and standard power slider....neither are offered, along with Homelink these are my greatest disappointments. At least they have the heated and cooled seats and heated steering wheel. The power seats in mt current Canyon are just fine since i am the only driver, set and forget. I'm afraid if they put much more in the truck the price would totally be beyond the buying market.
One thing i have on hand for the new truck is a power tail gate lock that works with the door lock control.

2017 Canyon Denali, crew, short bed, V6, 8spd, hard fold tonneau by Extang
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GANCanyon View Post
I considered the Tacoma when I bought my Canyon. There were a lot of things I didn't like about it. There were a few things that I wish my truck offered though, I wish I had a power rear slider, keyless start/entry, and a sunroof. I'm pretty sure that stuff isn't even offered on the Denali, which is crazy...
I have a Denali and the only real thing I miss is the sun roof.

Keyless start, I don't miss and the rear slider should be power but would never open it anyways. They do need to replace the plastic wood with aluminum that matches the dash.
Johng724 likes this.
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperv6 View Post
I have a Denali and the only real thing I miss is the sun roof.

Keyless start, I don't miss and the rear slider should be power but would never open it anyways. They do need to replace the plastic wood with aluminum that matches the dash.
Don't get me wrong guys, if I wanted the Tacoma I would have bought it. I like the drive and looks of my 2017 Canyon All Terrain better. I wish I had the power rear slider because if you open the rear slider and have the windows down you get nice air flow like having a sunroof open.

I just got spoiled by keyless start in my Audi and even my Mazda. Another thing I miss is auto wipers... I'm really nitpicking at this point though because I'm really impressed with this truck.
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 09:36 AM

Never been a fan of the Tacoma TRD's. I know a lot of people swear by them, but the looks just don't do it for me.
16Coloradoz71 and Two Door like this.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, Short Bed, LGZ 3.6L, 8L45 8 Spd.

How to Videos - Check out my YouTube Channel!
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 10:45 AM

ya - no power recline is very lame in LT trim, IMHO.
16Coloradoz71 likes this.
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:25 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondupot View Post
Never been a fan of the Tacoma TRD's. I know a lot of people swear by them, but the looks just don't do it for me.
Me... Never a fan of Toyota. My experience with them was not better than any other manufacturer. I think all their models looks like TuRDs...
fondupot and 16Coloradoz71 like this.
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to haulingnothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettcity View Post
It is a very nice vehicle with lots of unique features and Toyota add-ons but list MSRP is over 44K.
The starting price of a ZR2 is less than that, so Toyota is going to have a problem when they start hitting dealer lots.
base587 likes this.

2016 Colorado - 2WD Extended Cab LT V6 - Laser Blue - Shoreline Edition

Plasti-Dipped badges - Air dam delete - DRL switch mod - OPT7 LED low beams - Moroso catch can - Pedal Commander
post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

The price was 44K before adding tax, licensing and a few add-ons. These Toyota trucks also do not qualify for the Costco Auto Program so they will not budge much on price. This TRD-Pro would be close to 50K when you add a set of step rails and a couple basic add-ons.
I am waiting for the ZR-2. (like many other people)
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 03:51 PM

Former Taco TRD owner here.....
I won't comment on the styling or the interior features or even the price. I personally will not touch them again after the leaf spring recall/debacle and what I went through personally in trying to deal with several dealers and Toyota......
Be a long time till I give them my money again.
Jettcity likes this.
post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:29 PM

I have to laugh...I used to own a 2007 for 9 years. Drooled over the 2016 Tacomas before they even came out. Once I saw them in person? That's the same thing I said....No power seats? Really Toyota?

To name a few....No Black leather, no rear disc brakes, no remote start, no Carplay....I don't even think they have heated mirrors either. No rear defrost, No Auto 4WD, etc.

I test drove a new tacoma - and it didn't ride much different than my 2007 did.

Yea...as someone else mentioned...the rear leaf springs are a bit saggy. I had the TSB done in 2007. The frame....let's talk about the frame rust. My 2007 got a new frame in Oct of 2016. Surely - getting a completely new frame is something to be happy about. However - it's no longer 'factory installed' and you put trust in tech at the local dealership to put it back together properly. Needless to say...it was back in the shop after 2 weeks for mysterious very loud clunking noises.

I'm glad I got the Canyon. I love this truck - really. Aside from the wonky lack of downshifting.... I love everything about it and why I bought it.

I will say.... any Toyota I've ever had lasted a very long time and was completely reliable. I'm crossing my fingers, my legs, my arms, and anything else - that my Canyon can be as reliable or better.
Two Door likes this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I have to laugh...I used to own a 2007 for 9 years. Drooled over the 2016 Tacomas before they even came out. Once I saw them in person? That's the same thing I said....No power seats? Really Toyota?

To name a few....No Black leather, no rear disc brakes, no remote start, no Carplay....I don't even think they have heated mirrors either. No rear defrost, No Auto 4WD, etc.

I test drove a new tacoma - and it didn't ride much different than my 2007 did.

Yea...as someone else mentioned...the rear leaf springs are a bit saggy. I had the TSB done in 2007. The frame....let's talk about the frame rust. My 2007 got a new frame in Oct of 2016. Surely - getting a completely new frame is something to be happy about. However - it's no longer 'factory installed' and you put trust in tech at the local dealership to put it back together properly. Needless to say...it was back in the shop after 2 weeks for mysterious very loud clunking noises.

I'm glad I got the Canyon. I love this truck - really. Aside from the wonky lack of downshifting.... I love everything about it and why I bought it.

I will say.... any Toyota I've ever had lasted a very long time and was completely reliable. I'm crossing my fingers, my legs, my arms, and anything else - that my Canyon can be as reliable or better.
My buddy at work had a frame issue and his was one year out of the buy back. They told him sorry and it was not safe. Well he had to drive it and did not make it back to work from the dealer till it broken in half. The truck was less than 10 years old. The dealer he went to had already bought back a number of them for Toyota.

Before that the body rot was amazing as most of the trucks here have cabs, doors and fenders that all are different colors. As for the beds the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode