Anyone else disappointed by the lack of DIY/How To Write Ups? - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 54Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:19 PM

I agree with Turns31. I used to own a 2005 Acura TL, and knew nothing about cars. After being an active forum member, I was changing oil, blacking out taillights, black vinyled my roof, replaced cat back exhaust, etc. The forum, with support of DIY Threads, taught me a lot, and gave me a lot of confidence in my own abilities. I now have a garage full of tools that can do anything to any car (although I still limit myself). A lot of the threads I read (and created on my own) had pictures of each step. These were as simple as taking apart your dash, taking off your bumper, removing taillights etc.

Some of these tasks are easy for some of us, but to some, this is the first vehicle they've owned, or have limited knowledge, and are afraid of removing a taillight or a bumper. Some people will never touch their car, and are here for information and opinions, which is great, and is what forums are for. Other people want to do things on their own, and with the limited DIY threads on here, it makes it hard for them.

Of the above few quoted "DIY Threads" that I've looked at (I didn't click on all of them) none of them had step by step pictures on how to add a sub, or remove a door panel to replace a speaker, or what harness they used; rather they spoke about what they did, not HOW they did it.

Don't get me wrong, I love this forum and think it has a lot of information and the members on here know what they're talking about. I personally don't need some DIY Threads, but having them accessible isn't a bad thing. Everyone may not need them or ever look at them, but to some, it could be the difference of doing it themselves vs. paying someone.

I'll add DIY Threads as I find necessary.

#HelpTheNoobs

2016 GMC Canyon | All Terrain | Cardinal Red | 35% Ceramic Tint | Access Lorado Tonneau Cover | Hikari LED Headlights | DeeZee Bed Mat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turns31 View Post
I've owned a lot of cars in my short life. 24 in 28 years. Just got my Colorado 3 weeks ago and can honestly say it's my favorite one. Have wanted one for 2+ years and could finally afford the one I wanted. Anyways, I'm big on modding/diying and such to my cars. I like to keep them looking stock but something the manufacturer could have offered in a sport package. Subtle changes are all you really need to make a big difference. I'm big on forums no matter if it's car help, computer help, stereo help, whatever...

I don't know why but I feel like this one in particular has very few write ups dedicated to the very popular 15-17 Colorados/Canyons. Every other car forum I've belonged to had dozens of sticky's showing detailed pics on how to change headlights to CAI install to exhausts kits to trim removal to speaker replacement. This truck has been on the market for almost 3 years now and there's been very few changes between models. Maybe it's the search feature? I don't know. Just wish there was an easier way to find write ups that include all the steps and pics necessary.
There are a bunch of them, just hard to find in all the 'mess' :(

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 03:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
You would think... but some people have more enthusiasm than know-how. I did a how-to for an oil change on the first gen Canyon. I know at least one person found it helpful, likely more.

Right now, the 2015+ trucks are mostly owned by the demographic that can afford to spend $25k+ on a truck. That demographic has certain characteristics.

As the second gen trucks age, and get re-sold, it will make the buy-in point lower. That will expand the demographic of drivers, and forum participants. As the overall number of owners grows, and the demographic of owners expands, you may find subtle changes in the forum.
As far as oil changes go, it's not a particularly expensive task to have done.
In a lot of cases it's actually as cheap, or even cheaper, to pay to have it done.
Plus a lot of people don't wanna drive around with a bunch of waste oil looking for a dump site.
My point here is, IMO being able to afford a "$25k+" vehicle isn't necessarily linked to also being able to afford paying for an oil change.
In my experience, those who change their own oil simply do so because they choose to, not because they can't afford to pay someone else to do it.
On a related note, I read in a recent MT/C&D etc. that Castrol is developing a cartridge oil/filter system, where the filter and oil is basically contained in one package.
You(d) press a button inside your vehicle, then all the oil would be pumped outta the motor and into the 'cartridge'. It's a tool-less procedure to R&R said cartridge with a new one. You then press the button(or maybe the vehicle automatically does it when it senses the cartridge has been changed) again when the new cartridge in installed, and bingo/boffo the oil is pumped back into your motor and off you go.
IIRC, the article mentioned (I wanna say) Aston Martin has already installed this or a similar one in some of their vehicles

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17

Last edited by yokev; 04-12-2017 at 03:18 AM.

post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 05:00 AM

Garage
Can't post pictures without running out of "space". I'm just told something about how to host pictures or whatever. I posted a how-to at the 2nd facebook page about a level kit, no restrictions there I guess. Place has been a mess since Gen 2 was added, try finding out something about the 1 Gen trucks here, it's been a royal mess. I've made several suggestions, no one listens.

2017 Crew Cab Long Box Z71 V6 4WD Brownstone
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:39 AM

Maybe with the old cars I find it easier to do how to's being you have to make stuff work. I actually did a transmission build diy and a sweep style gauge to round gauges on another forum for my malibu.

At least with the new cars so many things are bolt on and come with instructions.

I think as these trucks get older and warranties start running out we'll see more.
km4rzt likes this.
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
As far as oil changes go, it's not a particularly expensive task to have done.
In a lot of cases it's actually as cheap, or even cheaper, to pay to have it done.
Plus a lot of people don't wanna drive around with a bunch of waste oil looking for a dump site.
My point here is, IMO being able to afford a "$25k+" vehicle isn't necessarily linked to also being able to afford paying for an oil change.
In my experience, those who change their own oil simply do so because they choose to, not because they can't afford to pay someone else to do it.
On a related note, I read in a recent MT/C&D etc. that Castrol is developing a cartridge oil/filter system, where the filter and oil is basically contained in one package.
You(d) press a button inside your vehicle, then all the oil would be pumped outta the motor and into the 'cartridge'. It's a tool-less procedure to R&R said cartridge with a new one. You then press the button(or maybe the vehicle automatically does it when it senses the cartridge has been changed) again when the new cartridge in installed, and bingo/boffo the oil is pumped back into your motor and off you go.
IIRC, the article mentioned (I wanna say) Aston Martin has already installed this or a similar one in some of their vehicles
I work sales/tech/tuning at a dealership/performance shop. It would be stupid easy for me to have mine changed since I'm in the same building as a service dept every day, but I don't. I don't even think about it to be honest, I mindlessly do all of my oil changes myself and the only reason is because I always have.

2016 CCSB Duramax - 226hp/458tq
Tuned by Innovative Diesel

post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
Can't post pictures without running out of "space". I'm just told something about how to host pictures or whatever. I posted a how-to at the 2nd facebook page about a level kit, no restrictions there I guess. Place has been a mess since Gen 2 was added, try finding out something about the 1 Gen trucks here, it's been a royal mess. I've made several suggestions, no one listens.
Gotta use a hosting site for pics. Makes everything much easier and you don't have to resize or compress the images either. I use imgur, very easy
Janster likes this.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 12:09 AM

Well, there are a few, but I think the how to section subforum thing is not a bad idea. For the gen2's.

I spent 6 hours doing my billy suspension to help people out, taking it apart, finding the best way to make it happen, putting it back together, taking pics of it coming apart, rinse repeat. So... it would be nice to see them in one local seeing as the job would have taken me 2 hrs if not for the how to, now it's making its way deeper and deeper into being lost in the non-searched forums 😂

I've done two, the headlights one and the suspension one... they might not be the best but... worth it in my opinion. I hope to someone at least
JScottM likes this.

Rig: 16' Colly LT 4x4 2.8D, short bed, G80, Bose, etc

Built list: Bak revolver x2, premium Line-X, rigid b/up lights cut & mounted in bumper, kn insert air fltr, zroadz fog plate w/rigid spots & floods, d-max tuner, matte blk badges and custom diesel badges, bilstien 5100 RHA 2" lift with rear 1" gm lift blks, 275/65-18 TA ko2 (big rub @ full steer, w/no spacers)

To/do: dry cold air intake, puddle leds, helo 904s w/ 0 offset, Anzo tails

Sponsors: Virginia Line-X (Ant), Alt Mana.
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 12:13 AM

I did the best I could in documenting the process I went through for my audiophile project.

Its not a how to but a build, but hopefully it helps others.
km4rzt likes this.

'17 Crew V6, sound system done, Build log of system.
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 01:26 AM

On another forum I added a section called the library. It housed links to write ups and helped keep things organized. Only moderators were allowed to post in there. It wasn't easy but it helped finding DIY's.

-mac
post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:39 AM

I assumed it was because of the new design... because there are millions of DIY and write ups for the first generation.

I'm waiting on the canyon clear corner diy write upl.
post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:54 AM

An old forum I was on had a thread made by a mod that was a big list of DIY threads. Linked all of them and was added to as new ones came

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:47 AM
24v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turns31 View Post
I blame the search function more than anything. Lackluster at best. Also need to remove the 4 letter minimum for search words.
I rarely use the search on any forum anymore. Just search google and add site:nameoftheforum.com to your search. So for example, if I wanted to search for DIY on this forum I would put the following into Google search... DIY site:coloradofans.com

Last edited by 24v; 04-14-2017 at 07:52 AM.
post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 04:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtiefan View Post
Maybe with the old cars I find it easier to do how to's being you have to make stuff work. I actually did a transmission build diy and a sweep style gauge to round gauges on another forum for my malibu.

At least with the new cars so many things are bolt on and come with instructions.
I think as these trucks get older and warranties start running out we'll see more.

This is an important factor. Currently there are companies making parts, accessories and modifications that are in production, and available installation or operation manuals online.

For a lot of us that have had only older cars, the manuals are gone, or the parts are no longer being made and the online walkthroughs are the only things left. My 96 ZR2 heater core replacement was in large part due to several such now defunct DIYs.

Furthermore, the redesigned twins are barely two, and short of CPWire's V8 shenanigans, the envelope hasn't really been pushed yet. You won't see involved DIYs like fullsize 1500 idler arms being installed yet, or lower control arms from another platform that flex better. Those come with time.

Maybe a helpful DIY might be an image hosting walkthrough for those folks who might not know how.
RatRacer and Bowtiefan like this.

vi et armis invictus maneo..
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:12 AM

Honestly, the problem is the site administration. It would not be that hard to create a single sticky for each subforum, titled something like "The Ultimate _____ Thread" or " ______ DIY and FAQ"
This type of thing will help with the extremely numerous duplicate threads. It is more annoying when the answer is "did you use the search function?" The VB search doesn't let you search short terms, or terms that are too common, and when you search with google, you don't always get relevant results (searching "DIY" only leads you to threads where that person used that term).

Each of these threads could have some simple information that links to good write-ups or good how-to, etc. For example, the suspension thread could have the following sections:

What is a lift/level, and why do the Colorado Canyon need it?
*Short explanation of the factory rake*

Methods of lift/level:
Strut Spacer - link to a thread with a how to
Ride Height Adjustable shocks - link to a thread on the Eibachs, and another for the Bilsteins, etc

Full lift types:
Diff drop - link to a thread
Body Lift - link to a thread or multiple threads

Honestly, it may seem like more work for the moderators and admins, but think about how much less work it is compared to combining threads, or having to moderate all the duplicate threads about the same damn thing. It's too easy for a good thread to get buried by new threads or posts, and too easy to say just search for it. When I first joined the forum, I was very disappointed in the organization structure of the forum, and ended up spending a good day or so going as deep as page 20 on some of the sub forums, and subscribing to threads that I thought may be of interest to me in the future. This is not the best way to do it though.

The other aspect that really frustrates me about this site is the vendor system. I am a vendor on another hobby forum, but I'm very small time, and it is only a hobby for me. I have a few ideas for products that this community could benefit from, so I contacted the forum owner and have not received a response almost a month later. I sent a request to the webmaster for info on becoming a vendor, and got a solicitation from someone saying that the vendor fee starts at $150 per month. I don't plan on even selling that much, let alone making enough profit to make that worth it. So then I see some people selling their products, but I don't see how they are making enough to be worth it (or they don't pay the fee, and are selling anyway). If the second point is true, then it would never be worth the $150 if others are doing it for free anyway. The other site I am a vendor for has a very simple method to become a vendor - you pay an annual fee (in this case $100), and then you receive a "star" in your forum profile that indicates you are a vendor. This site is also aggressive about "non-vendor pimping" - if a thread is suspected of offering items for sale through a non-vendor, the thread is shut down until that person becomes a vendor. There are also more users and more active users on the other site, so it wouldn't make sense in paying 18X as much for a vendor fee to reach MUCH MUCH less audience.
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24v View Post
I rarely use the search on any forum anymore. Just search google and add site:nameoftheforum.com to your search. So for example, if I wanted to search for DIY on this forum I would put the following into Google search... DIY site:coloradofans.com
Thanks I'll try that.
post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
There's some out there. Not everything but quite a bit of stuff or if it's not exactly what someone is looking for, some other write ups can help or are related. I've made a few myself. If I get any parts/mods that I think is worth a write-up I'll add some more

I do also think it's pretty pointless of say a how-to change your oil or headlight or air filter, etc. Anyone should be able to figure those out.
you haven't changed the oil or headlight on a new vehicle lately have you, lol

change a headlight on a Malibu once. you have to take almost the entire front end off, bumper, skirts, etc. GM is making a lot of stuff dealer only--headlights included...even cartridge oil filters like the v6 takes are new to some people...

OP there are a few threads on here about the air dam, suspension, tuning, and the famous rear package shelf mod, but I agree, the search function is horrible.
post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:06 PM

You can NEVER organize the internet. PERIOD. In terms of organizing threads/DIY's etc.... I think the best method I've ever seen in my many years of forumisms.... is ONE (locked) POST made by a Moderator. The Moderator simply adds LINKS to all the DIY's in that one post. And no...the Moderators shouldn't be expected to look for all the DIY links. If you've created a DIY post/link - YOU need to contact the Moderator and request it be added to the post. So - before you blame the Moderator - it's our own members who can't seem to *ASSIST* the moderators with keeping things organized. Or ...Operator Error ...in a sense that we don't know how to search. It's all in the wording.

Majority of people don't have the necessary tools to produce a full blown writeup - whether it's the lack of being able to take photos and store them somewhere, or the ability to explain the process. All of that doesn't matter...... If someone is willing to go *out of their way* to explain a modification they've done - NEVER discourage that. Whatever information is given - take it. If you feel there's some information missing - search some more. We all have different levels of mechanical abilities. What one person might only need the basic information while others want/need it too spelled out. Nothing wrong with that. That's how we ALL learned.

Not all writeups are created equal for the same modification. You should adjust based on what you believe works for you. I have to laugh..... I've seen many writeups where Billy Joe removes Part D, E, and F in order to access Part T. When in reality...you didn't have to take anything off at all. If you looked at it from a different vantage point - Part T was right there in front of your nose.

We all complain about there being duplicate threads and there being too much crap to sift thru. Yet....we complain about how bad the search feature is and that some people don't even use it. Go figure....

Never discourage writeups and DIY's. Become a better 'searcher'. It's not what this forum can do for you....it's what YOU can do for this forum. :)

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
You can NEVER organize the internet. PERIOD. In terms of organizing threads/DIY's etc.... I think the best method I've ever seen in my many years of forumisms.... is ONE (locked) POST made by a Moderator. The Moderator simply adds LINKS to all the DIY's in that one post. And no...the Moderators shouldn't be expected to look for all the DIY links. If you've created a DIY post/link - YOU need to contact the Moderator and request it be added to the post. So - before you blame the Moderator - it's our own members who can't seem to *ASSIST* the moderators with keeping things organized. Or ...Operator Error ...in a sense that we don't know how to search. It's all in the wording.

Majority of people don't have the necessary tools to produce a full blown writeup - whether it's the lack of being able to take photos and store them somewhere, or the ability to explain the process. All of that doesn't matter...... If someone is willing to go *out of their way* to explain a modification they've done - NEVER discourage that. Whatever information is given - take it. If you feel there's some information missing - search some more. We all have different levels of mechanical abilities. What one person might only need the basic information while others want/need it too spelled out. Nothing wrong with that. That's how we ALL learned.

Not all writeups are created equal for the same modification. You should adjust based on what you believe works for you. I have to laugh..... I've seen many writeups where Billy Joe removes Part D, E, and F in order to access Part T. When in reality...you didn't have to take anything off at all. If you looked at it from a different vantage point - Part T was right there in front of your nose.

We all complain about there being duplicate threads and there being too much crap to sift thru. Yet....we complain about how bad the search feature is and that some people don't even use it. Go figure....

Never discourage writeups and DIY's. Become a better 'searcher'. It's not what this forum can do for you....it's what YOU can do for this forum. :)
Yet, when you compare to the organization of other Automotive forums, this one is severely lacking... That's where a lot of people in this thread are coming from. Not that they are total noobs, but that they are used to the way their previous vehicle's forum was laid out, and it seems easier to find or even stumble upon information with the better organization.

As you said, the best way is a moderator creating a locked thread with links (like what I was proposing above), but the mods don't seem to want to take the time to do it.
post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:24 PM
ADMIN

Garage
Does this help:

2nd Gen How-To & Tutorials - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
lqdchkn and km4rzt like this.

2015 Laser Blue Colorado LT
CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
LED light bar - 32"
HID headlights
LED fog lights
LED high beams
LED reverse lights
LED license plate lights
LED visor lights
LED dome lights
LED switchback front turn signal lights
LED cargo light turn signal conversion
LED bed lights
LED tail lights
LED sidemarkers
Canyon swapped tail lights
Red painted calipers
Supermod ported throttle body
Silver metallic rally stripes
Super Skidz skid plate
Volant CAI

Have a Colorado but want Canyon tail lights? Or vice versa CLICK HERE

***NOTE***
SITE RULES

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode