Anyone else disappointed by the lack of DIY/How To Write Ups? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 54Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Anyone else disappointed by the lack of DIY/How To Write Ups?

I've owned a lot of cars in my short life. 24 in 28 years. Just got my Colorado 3 weeks ago and can honestly say it's my favorite one. Have wanted one for 2+ years and could finally afford the one I wanted. Anyways, I'm big on modding/diying and such to my cars. I like to keep them looking stock but something the manufacturer could have offered in a sport package. Subtle changes are all you really need to make a big difference. I'm big on forums no matter if it's car help, computer help, stereo help, whatever...

I don't know why but I feel like this one in particular has very few write ups dedicated to the very popular 15-17 Colorados/Canyons. Every other car forum I've belonged to had dozens of sticky's showing detailed pics on how to change headlights to CAI install to exhausts kits to trim removal to speaker replacement. This truck has been on the market for almost 3 years now and there's been very few changes between models. Maybe it's the search feature? I don't know. Just wish there was an easier way to find write ups that include all the steps and pics necessary.
Rogue01, Rosetta Stoned and tmx like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 05:10 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to EricChevy Send a message via MSN to EricChevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turns31 View Post
I've owned a lot of cars in my short life. 24 in 28 years. Just got my Colorado 3 weeks ago and can honestly say it's my favorite one. Have wanted one for 2+ years and could finally afford the one I wanted. Anyways, I'm big on modding/diying and such to my cars. I like to keep them looking stock but something the manufacturer could have offered in a sport package. Subtle changes are all you really need to make a big difference. I'm big on forums no matter if it's car help, computer help, stereo help, whatever...

I don't know why but I feel like this one in particular has very few write ups dedicated to the very popular 15-17 Colorados/Canyons. Every other car forum I've belonged to had dozens of sticky's showing detailed pics on how to change headlights to CAI install to exhausts kits to trim removal to speaker replacement. This truck has been on the market for almost 3 years now and there's been very few changes between models. Maybe it's the search feature? I don't know. Just wish there was an easier way to find write ups that include all the steps and pics necessary.

Sounds like a good sub-forum to start, "how tos" just for write ups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Krystof and tmx like this.

2017 Colorado Z71 V6-3.6L 4X4 CCSB
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 05:49 PM

Why dont you fork over the $$$ on top of the $$$ you just put out for a new truck and do something first? You obviously know how to start threads so you seem fully capable of doing a write up.

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:11 PM

There's some out there. Not everything but quite a bit of stuff or if it's not exactly what someone is looking for, some other write ups can help or are related. I've made a few myself. If I get any parts/mods that I think is worth a write-up I'll add some more

I do also think it's pretty pointless of say a how-to change your oil or headlight or air filter, etc. Anyone should be able to figure those out.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:19 PM

^^^Also if parts come with good instructions, I know I'm not going to reinvent them on here. lol
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricChevy View Post
Sounds like a good sub-forum to start, "how tos" just for write ups.
Yeah, 'cuz that's what we need is more freaking sub-forums

As far as a "lack" of how-to's, I'm not sure there really is a lack of them, but what specifically are you looking for? I've seen a few threads regarding the audio system (ie: speaker replacement) and a few about headlights (mostly comparing different brands, but they seem to cover installation as well), and I don't think most intake/exhausts really need how to's in addition to the supplied instructions.
RatRacer, drewabbs, yokev and 2 others like this.

Nick http://www.naskie18.com GoogleTalk: naskie18@gmail.com AIM: naskie18

post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:04 PM

While I do admit that the site lacks a specific 'how to' section, I assure you that probably anything and everything you can do to our trucks has already either been done already....from simple plastic dipping the emblems all the way to 6 inch lifts, complete stereo overhauls, to complete engine/trannie swapping....and everything in between.

But, it would be nice to have a set up like on the 355nation site. And....I can advertise them because, the same person owns this site as well.
RatRacer likes this.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:09 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to EricChevy Send a message via MSN to EricChevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by naskie18 View Post
Yeah, 'cuz that's what we need is more freaking sub-forums

I personally like all the sub-forums. It makes it easy to find things. Each to their own I suppose...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2017 Colorado Z71 V6-3.6L 4X4 CCSB
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:12 PM

These trucks are a completely new design..... 2 years is hardly enough time to build up a customer base let alone the amount of poeple who actually use these forums and do write ups. Believe me, when I bought my truck in February of last year - there wasn't much in terms of writeups OR aftermarket parts/support.

Sit back and watch...... In just ONE year....I've seen this forum explode with lots of enthusiasts. There's a lot more writeups & a lot more aftermarket support than there was just 1 year ago.

Everyone and anyone can contribute by making writes ups , or posting how-tos'. Not everyone has the ability to make writeups - and that's OK. You contribute however you like based on your own lifestyle. I personally like to 'give back' to a/the community that's helped (and continues to help) me in many ways.

Don't be disappointed......GET INVOLVED and make some writeups and build on an ongoing evolution.
(Yes, I have a couple writeups myself.. console vault & Homelink install).
Toughsox, JBT and lqdchkn like this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s

Last edited by Janster; 04-10-2017 at 07:15 PM.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 09:22 PM

I agree with Turns

I was a lurker for a while as I did my research on the Canyon.
Over time, I have been part of five or six forums that were very informative. Yes, they can be redundant but from time to time someone came up with a small tweak to a method that was very helpful.
A friend wanted an attic stair installed a few years back. I told him I would help and it should take about 45 minutes. My wife said, "45 minutes? It took you three hours to put up ours." I said yes it did, but now I've done one.
That's what these forums are for. What breaks. Why does it break. What will it take to fix it. What are the shortcuts that will save me money, time and bandaids.
Mods that I didn't think of and ones that I want that wind up looking like crap or not working.
To the oil change point about anyone can do that. I got a tip about using a baby diaper under the oil filter on a Miata to keep from spilling oil all over the engine. Trust me, that was a great tip and I have changed oil over 60 or 80 times.

Hang in there Turns. I'm with you.
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
Why dont you fork over the $$$ on top of the $$$ you just put out for a new truck and do something first? You obviously know how to start threads so you seem fully capable of doing a write up.
I just got the thing a few weeks ago. Whenever I do anything to it worth a "How To" I will do one.
lqdchkn likes this.
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I personally like all the sub-forums. It makes it easy to find things. Each to their own I suppose...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed. The more sub-forums the better. Organization is a great thing.
Fubar2016 likes this.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
While I do admit that the site lacks a specific 'how to' section, I assure you that probably anything and everything you can do to our trucks has already either been done already....from simple plastic dipping the emblems all the way to 6 inch lifts, complete stereo overhauls, to complete engine/trannie swapping....and everything in between.

But, it would be nice to have a set up like on the 355nation site. And....I can advertise them because, the same person owns this site as well.
I blame the search function more than anything. Lackluster at best. Also need to remove the 4 letter minimum for search words.
JVederas, Janster and JScottM like this.
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

I'm aware that there are certain threads that kind of give info similar but there's very few step by step illustrations. For example, I'm shocked that there isn't "How To" write ups on:

-Front end leveling spacer install

-Bose and non Bose Speaker upgrade installs

-Subwoofer install for Bose and non-Bose systems

-Catch Can install

-HID/LED headlight install

-Different aftermarket exhausts and intakes
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:52 PM

As I mod my Colorado, I will be uploading How to and DIY videos....subscribe to my channel for updates.
Turns31 likes this.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, Short Bed, LGZ 3.6L, 8L45 8 Spd.

How to Videos - Check out my YouTube Channel!
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
I do also think it's pretty pointless of say a how-to change your oil or headlight or air filter, etc. Anyone should be able to figure those out.
You would think... but some people have more enthusiasm than know-how. I did a how-to for an oil change on the first gen Canyon. I know at least one person found it helpful, likely more.

Right now, the 2015+ trucks are mostly owned by the demographic that can afford to spend $25k+ on a truck. That demographic has certain characteristics.

As the second gen trucks age, and get re-sold, it will make the buy-in point lower. That will expand the demographic of drivers, and forum participants. As the overall number of owners grows, and the demographic of owners expands, you may find subtle changes in the forum.
km4rzt likes this.

2008 GMC Canyon, 3.7 I5, Off Road 4x4, Inferno Orange.
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 04:44 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CPTTango30 Send a message via MSN to CPTTango30
Why do we need wright ups when there is about billion videos on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed. The more sub-forums the better. Organization is a great thing.
I'd agree if they worked, but ever since going from about 5 to 25+, people haven't been able to put anything in the right forums, so it completely defeats the purpose. The original broader scope of the limited number of subforums significantly improved the odds of threads being in the right place, even if it did mean that audio and suspension threads ended up in the same subforum.

Quote:
I blame the search function more than anything. Lackluster at best. Also need to remove the 4 letter minimum for search words.
I will agree wholeheartedly, the search function has been ineffective for years.

Quote:
I'm aware that there are certain threads that kind of give info similar but there's very few step by step illustrations. For example, I'm shocked that there isn't "How To" write ups on:

-Front end leveling spacer install

-Bose and non Bose Speaker upgrade installs

-Subwoofer install for Bose and non-Bose systems

-Catch Can install

-HID/LED headlight install

-Different aftermarket exhausts and intakes
Headlamp replacement

HID/LED thread (Projectors)

HID/LED thread (Non-projectors)

Speaker upgrade (Non-bose)

Adding subwoofer (Bose)

Bose modifications

This is all threads in the first 4 pages of recent threads in the Lighting/Audio forum. They're not quite labeled or laid out as "how to's", but a lot of what become "how to" threads don't often start that way.

We did have a group in the past that was creating a listing of threads for the first gens (How To Index), but this hasn't been updated with anything since before the second gen launched, I think.

Also, that little button to the right of the "quote" button will allow you to quote multiple posts at once, rather than making 4 separate posts in a row.
kaiser67 and SigArms like this.
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:27 PM

Garage
I got one of the first mini-max diesels in February last year and the two things I wanted to do ( HomeLink install and bed lighting ) were well documented. There were also a number of write up's on engine monitors, I'm using a Bluetooth enabled android tablet mounted below the AC controls.
So there are a ton of write up's that are useful and I am thankful for those that took the time to document their processes.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:45 PM

don't forget that a lot of the 2015-17 colorado's are still under warranty and some don't want to jeopardize that.
Plateado likes this.

2016 Colorado laser blue. Blue footwell lights LED high and low beams and LED fogs. Deez 4" step bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode