Jack: Grrrrrr ..... - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Jack: Grrrrrr .....

I decided it was time to swap the snow tires for my summer tires and did it myself, to see how the jack 'works' on the Colorado. I've got a bone stock 2016 Crew Cab 4WD Diesel. The factory jack works fine on the rear end, but wouldn't lift high enough to get the front wheels clear of the ground without 2 inches of wood blocking under the jack! This was on a concrete garage floor, so there was no settling.

And I still have to visit the dealer because I don't have the magic box that resets the tire pressure sensor reader. But at least I know that I need to carry blocks for the jack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:47 PM

Warren,

Where did you put jack on the front of truck? It is supposed to go on the edge of the rail, behind the front tire, specially marked spot. Hard to believe GM's designer missed something as basic as this.

If all I am doing is changing a flat on the road, I would likely cheat and put the jack underneath part of the suspension, so that the suspension did not sag down and require me to jack higher than I wanted. If rotating tires, I would typically use my roll around jack and some jack stands in some combination, would never mess with the truck's jack. Now you have me thinking i better go check out the jack in my spare time.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Nethercote View Post
I decided it was time to swap the snow tires for my summer tires and did it myself, to see how the jack 'works' on the Colorado. I've got a bone stock 2016 Crew Cab 4WD Diesel. The factory jack works fine on the rear end, but wouldn't lift high enough to get the front wheels clear of the ground without 2 inches of wood blocking under the jack! This was on a concrete garage floor, so there was no settling.

And I still have to visit the dealer because I don't have the magic box that resets the tire pressure sensor reader. But at least I know that I need to carry blocks for the jack.

It's good to find that out when you are not on the side of the highway.

On my 2008 Canyon, I can't get the supplied bottle jack under the front control arm when the tire is flat. And, jacking under the centre of the frame did not get the tire off the ground. I found that out on the side of the highway, at night.

2008 GMC Canyon, 3.7 I5, Off Road 4x4, Inferno Orange.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
It's good to find that out when you are not on the side of the highway.

On my 2008 Canyon, I can't get the supplied bottle jack under the front control arm when the tire is flat. And, jacking under the centre of the frame did not get the tire off the ground. I found that out on the side of the highway, at night.
I have seen that issue before.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Cary, yes, I put the jack under the depression in the frame rail where the owners manual said it should be located. From the other contributions it sounds like I am not alone ....

I do have a hydraulic roll-around jack, but I wanted to see how the factory stuff worked in practice. Cross my fingers, but it has been about thirty years since I changed a flat on the road with my own vehicle, but I did a roadside change for my wife a couple of years ago when she got a nail through the sidewall of a one-week old snow tire on her Subaru. But at least I was prepared that time - I had installed the snows myself.
CaryBosse and 100MPG like this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:16 PM

Garage
Good to know! Granted with my lift it really wouldn't do anything. I carry a lightweight racing jack in my truck just in case. Probably overkill for those that don't off-road.

NEW TRUCK
2015 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4X4 - Summit White
KN 63 Series intake - LineX - 30" GGLighting LED Bar - Front/Rear Adujustable King Shocks - Bajakits +2.5 4x4 Pre Runner Kit - Method Double Standard Wheels - Falken AT3W 285/70/17 - Deaver Mini Pack inserts

OLD TRUCK
2004 Colorado Crew Cab Z85. I5 2wd
5inch CST lift
LIFTED COLORADO CLUB MEMBER # 123
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:49 PM

I haven't used a stock jack in years, that being said, I keep a 1 foot square, 2+" thick board in my truck(s). Gives a slight height advantage, more for a secure base for a stock jack. (you only get to change a flat on a gravel uneven base)
I actually use a plastic recycled stair runner that I cut up, wood gets wet, rots and smells over time.
CaryBosse likes this.

Be careful when you follow the Masses
... sometimes the "M" is silent
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:49 PM

Got a puncture on my front passenger side tire a couple months back at work and had to use the factory jack. It worked fine for me. Was able to completely lift it up with plenty of room to easily remove the tire and replace it with the spare. Though I do remember I got to a point where I thought the jack was fully extended and didn't have enough room. Just had to keep turning and it eventually went up higher.
4x4 CCSB All Terrain Diesel

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 12:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Warren,

If all I am doing is changing a flat on the road, I would likely cheat and put the jack underneath part of the suspension,
Heck Cary, I'd 'cheat' a bit more and call AAA
goleee33, Rosebud3 and Duken4evr like this.

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 09:57 AM

I haven't looked but do the stock bottle jacks have a spin out head that extends the height like most bottle jacks do?

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
I haven't looked but do the stock bottle jacks have a spin out head that extends the height like most bottle jacks do?
These are a screw type bottle jack as opposed to the hydraulic bottle jacks, so I think the entire travel is controlled by turning the knob to raise the jack.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

I 'phoned the GM customer service line yesterday to advise them of my problem. I got a call-back today asking me to take the truck to my dealer for them to investigate/demonstrate how to use the jack. I have a suspicion that someone questions my competence.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 10:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
Heck Cary, I'd 'cheat' a bit more and call AAA

I will see your cheat and raise you to call GM roadside assistance.
CaryBosse likes this.

2016 GMC Canyon EC All Terrain V6
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 11:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
I 'phoned the GM customer service line yesterday to advise them of my problem. I got a call-back today asking me to take the truck to my dealer for them to investigate/demonstrate how to use the jack. I have a suspicion that someone questions my competence.
Just a thought. If the front tire were flat you would likely be able to get it to clear with the jack so you can pull it off. Truck tire with a flat spot is what 6 to 8 inches less diameter in the flat spot? As far as the spare it is smaller that the standard tire so do you think you would have enough clearance to get the smaller spare on with that jack? I'm thinking GM might have done what they always do with stuff like that. The bare minimum for the intended purpose which is taking off a flat and putting on a spare. Rotating full size tires probably isn't the intended use of the jack kit.

Just spit balling here but I expect that is how it would work.

2016 GMC Canyon EC All Terrain V6
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
They almost have to questions the customer's competence, there are a lot of idiots out there (not saying you are one by the way). Who knows, maybe you're are missing something or it could be an actual issue that actually seeing the use will help them diagnose and correct for you.

I'll be interested to see what the final result is of this.

2015 Colorado Red Rock Metallic CC Long Bed Z71 4x4
-Mods So Far: Rally Armor UR Plus Flaps, Yellow Tinted Fog Lights, Access Vanish Cover, Linex, EGR Matte Black Wind Deflectors, P3 Brake Controller, MBRP Stainless Steel Cat-Back, Anzo LED Tail-lights, Uniden Bearcat 880 CB w/3' Firestik, Falken ATw3 Wildpeak 265/65R17 tires

Self Diagnosed RC Car/Truck Addict

Site Rules
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 02:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to 69shelby Send a message via MSN to 69shelby
yeah, but the full tire would not fit back on
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 02:40 PM

If you let the air out of the tires on the opposite side, the truck will lean, the side you are trying to change tire on will tilt upwards, and voila, you can change the tire.

I actually remember once working on a vehicle, had the vehicle balanced on the roll around jack, and by tilting the whole vehicle on the jack I could get the additional clearance to do what ever I was doing.

Let me strongly suggest that you don't do anything I suggest here without first checking with your life, medical, and burial insurance policies.

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 03:20 PM

Always keep a small, solid base on-board the truck/car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcanuk View Post
I haven't used a stock jack in years, that being said, I keep a 1 foot square, 2+" thick board in my truck(s). Gives a slight height advantage, more for a secure base for a stock jack. (you only get to change a flat on a gravel uneven base)
I actually use a plastic recycled stair runner that I cut up, wood gets wet, rots and smells over time.
Ditto for me... being at the coast, with sandy road shoulders, a firm base is a must for keeping any on-board portable scissors or bottle jack supported. Learned that in Cape Hatteras many moons ago.

2016 Canyon SLE, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, Bose, Cocoa-Dune Cloth, Factory spray liner, Locking Rear Diff., DeeZee Rubber Bed Mat, WeatherTech No-Drill Mud Flaps, Iron-Cross SS Running Boards. Built April 27, 2016. Delivered May 16, 2016.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Let me strongly suggest that you don't do anything I suggest here without first checking with your life, medical, and burial insurance policies.

Just ask the wife.. mine always encourages iffy solutions... "go ahead.. crawl under the car held with a split 2x4".... guess my policies are paid.
CaryBosse likes this.

Be careful when you follow the Masses
... sometimes the "M" is silent
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 08:22 PM

I had a similar issue when I was taking both tires off the front of my 15 z71 CC LB. I could get one side off, but could not jack the front up high enough to get both sides on jack stands to get both tires off at the same time. I went ahead and bought a floor jack. I was looking for an excuse anyway haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
CaryBosse and Opusnbill7 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode