Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Tried to buy a new ZR2

24K views 85 replies 30 participants last post by  velosprocket 
#1 · (Edited)
First time posting. I was hoping my first post would be a pic of my new truck. I traveled to the dealer with every intention of writing a check for a new ZR2. Drove a v6 and diesel. Decided the v6 was the one I wanted even though it had a couple options I didn't want, but not deal breakers. I have an employee number through my FIL. The dealer told me it was up to them on whether or not they would accept the deal. In this case they wouldn't and told me MSRP was all they could do. I found the ordeal very strange. I know the production numbers are low, but it isn't like these trucks are ultra rare. Is this common practice for GM? Has anybody purchased a ZR2 with a discount number? My FIL told me this has never happened on any deals he's helped family members with. Anyway, back to square one in my search. At least they're finally showing up in my region.

#2 ·
I used to get the GM family members discount and bought one Colorado with it and ordered a Colorado with it and never heard this before. That's a bunch of crap. I could shop online at the website and see the price with the discount. I would tell that dealer to go screw off. You could also contact a Chevy rep online and tell them whats going on. Good luck and stay away from crappy dealerships.

#3 ·
Well....guess what? Time to shop around to other dealerships. Find out which dealership is willing to sell a truck at the pricing YOU want.

MSRP? Who the hell pays MSRP anymore?

Give it time....they have your information right? If you don't find another deal somewhere else - they'll be calling you in a few days begging you to come back.

Then - YOU have the upper hand.
Good Luck!

#6 · (Edited)
Here's the website for employee discounts. You can go there and see what your discount will be by building the truck you want. That's how I knew I wasn't getting ripped off. You can also bargain on that price, but probably aren't going to get anymore off the price of a ZR2 right now.
https://www.gmfamilyfirst.com/

#8 ·
Here's the website for employee discounts. You can go there and see what your discount will be by building the truck you want. That's how I knew I wasn't getting ripped off. You can also bargain on that price, but probably aren't going to get anymore off the price of a ZR2 right now.
https://www.gmfamilyfirst.com/
Awesome, thank you! This is my first experience dealing with Chevy dealers (long time Toyota truck guy), so it's all new. I was hoping it would be easy.

#10 · (Edited)
I live in Jersey and we have a lot of dealers here. I never heard of a dealer not giving me the discount. Some of the crappy dealers tried to give me less of a discount than I was suppose to get. I just showed them the printed price sheet and walked out, until I found a dealer that would price it correctly.

I hate to say it, but on another note, if you wait a couple of months you will probably get a much better deal. Just shop around.

Reactions: velosprocket
#12 ·
Dealers can decline discounts if you read the rules.

Here is the deal bad dealers will play games right now as some idiot will pay sticker and they know it.

The fact is these trucks are regular production models and Chevy said there is no limit in production. So just wait a week or two here and order a 2018. With orders opened dealers will not be able to hold you hostage.

I tried to order a couple months ago and got nothing but lies and MSRP or just pure incompetence. I never had such a hard time spending $40k.

I got pissed off and just started too look at my options and or wait. Well I got a smoking deal on a Denali so it all worked out.

There are dealers on the web selling the Z for as low as $39k so they are out there. Shop the web and consider ordering the 2018 to avoid getting ripped off.

This is not going to be a rare or limited model starting in July.

#14 ·
Also sounds legit to me.

I contacted my dealer to see about ZR2 pricing as I'm toying with the idea of changing body styles and they basically told me the same thing when I asked about using my supplier pricing. "Nothing but MSRP" :serious:

#26 ·
That's BS. My dealer told me that unless GM specifically EXCLUDES the ZR2 from supplier pricing, they have to honor it as long as you qualify for it.

#15 ·
Agreed with everything thats been said here. Some dealerships are good, some suck. Dont settle. YES, the ZR2 is the new kid on the block but, that doesnt mean you half to walk in with your pants around your ankles.

Know what you are willing to pay and walk if the price isnt right.

And good luck with your quest. :wink2:

#16 ·
Thank you for the advice everybody! I chatted with "Heather" on the gmfamilyfirst.com website, she agreed the dealer didn't do the right thing. Autonation does show up on the website for my region. She opened a case with customer care and they should be contacting me for details. It isn't like anything will come from the case being opened, but it makes me feel better. I'm also never stepping foot on their lot again. I also agree the ZR2 is the new kid on the block and there are dealers discounting them on cars.com. They're not going to be super rare as time goes on. There are also dealers advertising the GM Employee price which is nice to see. If I can't find the one I want I'll just order a 2018. Heated mirrors would be nice to have anyway. It is strange that Denver area dealers are just now taking delivery. Anybody know why that is?

I will say it's VERY nice truck! I'm a loooooooooong time Toyota truck / 4Runner owner. The 3rd gen Tacoma doesn't come close IMO. I could list why the ZR2 is better but everybody here knows that already.

#19 ·
Velosprocket, There must be a decent dealer somewhere in Colorado, keep looking. I drive I 25 the entire length of Colorado on my annual soljurn to Texas and must pass a hundred dealerships. I just received the Denali I ordered from my local dealer, from day one they gave me the trade value on my 2015 SLT, discount price on the Denali and when i was paying for it they found a $1100 GM kickback and deducted that. My dealership is a no hassle, no pressure place with a totally relaxed atmosphere where my dog is greeted as warmly as I.
Not all dealers are as greedy as the one you visited.
One post mentioned Dave Smith in Idaho ( actually Kellog where the whole town seems to be a parking lot for their vehicles) people fly to Spokane Wa., are picked up by the dealer and taken sixty miles to the dealership nestled at the base of the mountains. I rarely hear anything bad about them---They seem to have any brand desired.o

#20 ·
Try talking to smaller dealerships. I got my 2015 (in 2015) from King up in Longmont. It was 30 plus miles from my house, but they were the only dealer that would let me order my truck at invoice price.

Now that I think of it, I actually drove further this year to buy my wife's car. I went to Greeley for that deal.

#22 ·
Same ordeal in my area. What they don't realize is there are 43 ZR2s within driving distance from me. In addition, they were giving hugh discounts on the fullsize trucks over Memorial Day weekend. Most folks buy the full size as it's a much better deal with the constant rebates (but won't fit in the garage).

#24 ·
One dealer has marked theirs up around $2k (Hahaha). Others are already discounting up to $4k.

I paid over invoice in 2000 on a new Black WS-6 Trans Am - the one in all the commercials; had to have it :grin2:

#28 ·
Go to the Friends and Family web site as they have all the restrictions. I recall them saying that the dealers can exclude some models at their prerogative.

See the dealers are private business with only a franchise partnership. GM can not tell a dealer how much to sell any of their products for. They can give a MSRP and then it is up to the dealers what they sell them for.

Remember the GTO mess in 2004 when the dealers all jacked the price up till everyone lost interest and then the dealers were stuck with GTO's they could not sell.

I had one dealer willing to go $200 under invoice but they jerked me around on trying to order. He finally did call me back when I was on the Denali Test Drive and when I got the price on it I wanted I went with it. They have yet to get a Z in yet.

The one thing I and my friends have noted is how of late the dealers are starting to become much more difficult to deal with and very un friendly to the customers. While a few embrace the web many tolerate it and almost force you to go in to negotiate a price so they can pressure you.

I generally go in prepared and know what the dealer has in the truck and know what I should pay and they really hate that anymore even if you offer a fair price. I was not looking for a major discount but I sure as hell was not going to pay MSRP or only take $1000 off.

I noted this time the GM Tag game that is being played. It is a good deal for a good price if you are willing to take the time to wait till it gets applied to a truck you want. Also you can watch trucks to reach 90 days on the lot and dealers are willing to talk then. I see many Midnight editions rot on the lot till they get to 90 days or longer before they will deal.

The game is changing out there and the dealers are hating the web due to the ability of buyers able to shop around much easier and often not have to face the pressure.

One dealer here the one that lied to me also worked to get me in. They like to employ a tag team where they get two people to work on you at once and they play a real psychological game. This is the dealer where the salesman called me with great news and ordered my truck just as I wanted it. The problem is the order system was not even open yet. Top it off the color I wanted was not even offered yet. Then his sales manager was working with me and when I told him I bought a GMC he said it is ok as they already sold their allocations? So then what were we talking about for two months?

The Chevy dealers were a real disappointment to me this time around. The one that topped it off was the one that berated me in a E mail because I asked for how much off sticker they would be willing to do. He claimed MSRP was the only way he could make $1500 well if that is all he was making he was in trouble anyways.

I wanted to complain to GM but they are limited to what they can do. They can hardly force a bad dealer out as it is let alone correct a misbehaving dealer.

#30 ·
Good for you. Using that gmfamilyfirst website helps a lot. Just wait for the best deal. You will have truck for years. A little patience now can save you lots of money.

Reactions: Toughsox
#32 ·
Yeah, gmfamilyfirst website isn't always updated when the chevy site is updated but talking to a rep who has the info is good. They should be able to tell you what the discount is. They should have the build info there soon I hope.

Reactions: velosprocket
#37 ·
#38 ·
I could be wrong because it has been years since I got the discount, but I don't think a supplier discount is the same as a GM family first employee discount?

#39 ·
It's not just a Chevy dealer thing.
When a new vehicle comes out that they(dealers) think will be hot, they'll often times even mark it up. Sometimes they'll continue to charge more for a vehicle even years down the road if they think the market will support it.
When I bought a Boss 302 back in '12, the best I could do was + $3k. Most dealers wanted +$5k(here in Kalifornistan at least), and some even wanted $10k.
The Raptor has been marked up +$10k ever since it came out here, and I saw a '17 with a +$20k sticker on it.
Heck, Toyota dealers typically won't discount the fricken Tacoma a dime here, and Toyota makes zillions of those things.

#50 ·
Paying 20k over for a car or truck that is not limited production makes no sense. Unless you have an urgent reason, wait. No one needs a ZR2, now because they are not using it as a business truck. If people would just wait the power would go away from the dealers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#42 · (Edited)
A couple dealers in the St. Louis area have them discounted $2,500 to $3,000 off msrp about 15%

editted... Hey JBT: my bad, my math skills betrayed me yesterday... I had been looking on the Laura GMC site and they had Canyons for $6k off

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.