C&D's Colorado vs. Ridgeline Comparison - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
C&D's Colorado vs. Ridgeline Comparison

Anyone else catch this(July 2017)?
It's kinda funny, in an infuriating kinda way.
They compared a $44k Ridgeline(which comes in a whopping ONE cab/bed configuration),
to a $36k Colorado(v6 LT 4wd SHORT bed).
Their first paragraph was devoted to blabbering on about how the 'Mid-Size' class is bullshit, as there's nothing smaller.
Oh, and (something I didn't know) EVERY Colorado is LONGER than a single-cab, short-bed Silverado(you learn something new every day).
They ended this little diatribe with a curious statement. Words to the effect of mid-size pickups are for people who don't really need a pickup.
That should tell you right there how this little comparison was gonna end.
We'll break it down anyway:
The Colorado has MORE, ground clearance, power AND torque, front interior volume(the Honda has more rear, yay), a deeper bed(The Honda has more length(again, they tested a SHORT bed Chevy) and width, payload, and towing, and accelerates quicker in EVERY category they test it(0-30,60,100, 1/4 mile etc). It's also lighter by a tiny bit(25lbs), and they both stop from 70mph in 182'. Oh, and the Honda holds .77g on the skid pad compared to the Colorado's .74g-which simply means the Colorado is a truck, and the Ridgeline is a car.
They towed 4544lbs of Miata-on-a-steel-trailer, and of course the Ridgeline wheezed like an asthmatic kid, and the Colorado towed it just fine.
The Ridgeline carried a total of 24 2-cubic-foot mulch bags-IF you threw 3 into it's under-bed storage, and the Colorado(again SHORT BED) carried 23.
The Ridgeline of course won. Why?
Because you think you're in an SUV(it's of course based on a minivan), it's rear 'quarters' are more roomy, and it rides like a car.
Here's the rub: They based their 'review' on the viewpoint of someone who 'doesn't really need a truck', as the Colorado blew it away from a "I need a pickup" viewpoint.
I came away with a couple questions.. Usually PRICE plays a mild part(being a little sarcastic) in vehicle purchases, yet beyond listing each's, they didn't bother to touch on the fact that the Colorado was SIX-THOUSAND-DOLLARS cheaper.
Staying on that point, since the Honda was 42k, why didn't they compare an equally-priced Colorado? You know, a diesel, LONG-BED, Z71? And then of course, test both vehicles OFF-ROAD- which is part of every other 4wd 'REVIEW'. They grabbed two 4/Awd vehicles.
Because obviously(right or wrong), they wrote a 'review' to suit an outcome they chose beforehand.
OF COURSE people who buy Honda minivans don't need a truck. Most of 'em are coming from Civics etc. and were just fine with those pieces of crapola. The overwhelming majority of people who buy the Colorado and Tacoma actually USE their truck(s) for what it was designed for. Case and point: How many commercial Honda's have you seen? How many Colorado and Tacoma's? I see a bunch of 'em every-damn-day. Heck, I use the bed of my truck every fricken day. If I'm not hauling around my tools for work, I'm hauling my MTB's or motorcycle(s). If I'm not doing either of those it's because I'm hauling furniture for some member of the family.
Anyway, this is the first time I've seen a vehicle actually LOSE a 'comparison' because it actually did what it's designed to do better than its competition(see photo)
Toughsox, JBT, Joedude and 6 others like this.

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 07:59 PM

Garage
You couldn't pay me to get a Ridgeline. It's literally a chopped minivan and is in no way a truck. Give me a Traverse and I'll put a bed on it. Same difference. The twins outperform the Ridgeline in virtually every category. Why it's repeatedly compared to real trucks like the Colorado and Tacoma is beyond me.
Binkers78 likes this.

2016 Canyon All-Terrain 4x4 3.6L v6 ECLB
BNR Tune via Diablosport i2
Corsa cat-back
Amsoil fluids bumper to bumper
Speedliner spray-on bedliner
Weathertech floor mats
AVS hood deflector and window visors
A.R.E MX bed cap w/ Yakima roof rack
Undercover Swingcases
Carhartt seat covers
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 08:10 PM

Garage
Lol! Losing a truck comparison for being too truck-y.

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 08:41 PM
JBT

Garage
That cracks me up. " Excellent truck if a truck is what you want your mid-size pickup to be". Morons!

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab

Last edited by JBT; 06-05-2017 at 08:45 PM.
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 10:42 PM

Garage
I like the "Even those that scoff at the minivan-with-a-bed styling must acknowledge the superiority of it's roomy and comfortable rear quarters."

lol nope. You can't give the styling a pass just because you couldn't make the design work with bigger seats. Plus I carry cargo far more often then I carry more than two people. If it was the other way around I would have gotten a minivan with fold down seats, an SUV or a hatchback with a hitch.

They compared apples to oranges then declared the apple superior because the orange tasted like an orange. Ugh, useless review.
RatRacer and LBM 17Z71 like this.

" I don't fail, I succeed in finding what doesn't work." -C. Titus
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 12:01 AM

Never send a import car guy to review a truck.

Now here is a story clearly where a truck guy reviews a truck.

GMC Canyon Denali vs. Honda Ridgeline: REVIEW - Business Insider

The real issue here is yes they both have beds but they clearly are two different class of vehicles.

On the list of priorities the back seat is low down on the list as often that is were the kids or dog end up. As for space the Honda may have just a little more space but the Colorado gas more than enough for two full size adults even on a long trip.

I do believe there is a segment for the Honda but not the mid size truck class. It is more Ute than truck. I believe even GM could explore this segement on a chopped Nox or Traverse.

While it would not be my kind of vehicle I could see people going for it. GM already sells a Montana in South America so such a vehicle could sell globally.

How about calling it El Camino.
JBT and GANCanyon like this.
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 12:09 AM

Garage
When did the Ridgeline become a truck? I thought the Ridgeline was Honda's answer to the old Chevy El Camino.

LOL - I just saw the post above 8 mins before mine. We must be onto something.

Last edited by LBM 17Z71; 06-06-2017 at 12:13 AM.
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 12:10 AM
JBT

Garage
I like El Caminos, Vroooooommmm. Cool! This review makes me laugh every time I read it.

post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
I like El Caminos, Vroooooommmm. Cool! This review makes me laugh every time I read it.
Yeah, me too.
They're Chevelles with a bed installed in place of the rear seat and trunk.
Because of that, they had the cream-of-the-crop V-8s and driveline(until the mid-'70s on of course, but no muscle car survived the gas crunch/origination of CARB).
The Australians still get one in the quasi-original guise
JBT likes this.

Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 12:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperv6 View Post

How about calling it El Camino.
This.
GM should have ventured the Camino Holden Ute also/instead of the G8/SS sedans to see what direction the market would have led them.
post #11 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 12:20 AM
JBT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
Yeah, me too.
They're Chevelles with a bed installed in place of the rear seat and trunk.
Because of that, they had the cream-of-the-crop V-8s and driveline(until the mid-'70s on of course, but no muscle car survived the gas crunch/origination of CARB).
The Australians still get one in the quasi-original guise
And the El Caminos look so friggin cool! What does the ridgeline look like?
yokev likes this.

post #12 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 12:22 AM
JBT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
This.
GM should have ventured the Camino Holden Ute also/instead of the G8/SS sedans to see what direction the market would have led them.
Simple, they want 4 seats. The same reason there isn't any single cab pickup anymore.

post #13 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 12:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Simple, they want 4 seats. The same reason there isn't any single cab pickup anymore.
Naw, cause it would've been classified as a car.
GM needs to up the mpg avg of light duty truck sales to meet CAFE guidelines, and Colorado's and Silverado's fall under the same umbrella.
post #14 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 12:44 AM
JBT

Garage
Here you go Car & Driver, is this what the people want in a mid sized pickup truck. The custom feeling of a car or mini van. That really has to be one of the dumbest articles I have read in years. Buy a Honda Ridgeline if you don't want a truck?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 274ddbf8930a60fbdcae6e5478b9ad3c.jpg (628.9 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Dodge-Caravan-PU-s.jpg (115.1 KB, 116 views)
RatRacer and yokev like this.

Last edited by JBT; 06-06-2017 at 12:53 AM.
post #15 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Here you go Car & Driver, is this what the people want in a mid sized pickup truck. The custom feeling of a car or mini van. That really has to be one of the dumbest articles I have read in years. Buy a Honda Ridgeline if you don't want a truck?
Your post(photos) reminded me that I read an article last year or the year before about a Golf 'truck' kit.
The writer of said article did the conversion in a buddy's driveway.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...kup-truck-kit/
Anyway, dug up the kit on the web.
Looks WAY better than the Honda IMO

Shit..!
Looks like they make one for the Charger too!

Here's the closest thing we can get to an El Camino
JBT and RatRacer like this.

Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"

Last edited by yokev; 06-06-2017 at 02:48 AM.
post #16 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
This.
I think we already know where it went. The SS failed. Even if it was built here it was going to be priced with the Camaro so it was not going to get cheaper.

The Ute/ElCamino may have struggled here for sales as the G8 version was expected to only sell around 13k unit before it was canceled.

The mid size truck killed the ECamino and has prevented it from coming back.

They even considered the crew cab version but peopke opt for the truck here. The price would have been more full size truck priced.

Now I say this as a past GMC Sprint SP owner who would have loved to have had a new Ute. My ZQ8 Sonoma was as close as I could get. B
post #17 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
GM made extended cab Holdens and even did a Crew Cab GMC Ute. It was the very first Denali show car.

But People want trucks more and they want to sit higher up.

The Ridgeline has sold because it is not a truck to some but GM sells more Colorado/Canyons because people want more trucks.

Can't Blaime Honda as as trying to compete in the truck segment vs GM and Toyota would be ever so difficult.

But the media needs to get their collective a$$ together and realize just because it is a bed does not make it less Ute and more truck. They really are two different segments.

In the case of C and D the look foolish now for condemning a truck for being a truck.

Last edited by hyperv6; 06-06-2017 at 09:22 AM.
post #18 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 01:59 PM

In my 30+ years of reading car magazines, I've always found C&D to be the worst when it comes to unbiased reviews. They seem to be the ones most in loved with anything Japanese based and if it's Honda based they get tingles up and down their legs!
post #19 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 02:20 PM

I have been around our marketing department and know that much of the magazine business is advertiser errr lets call it enhanced.

You spend money on advertising you tend to get a lot of a more positive image portrayed, better placement or more mentions.

Lets face it magazines are there to make money and that is how they do it. It is very tough today so things are not always geared for the full truth.

Cover cars and colors are all geared to sell magazines. Reviews tend to go softer on advertisers. Even Consumer Reports who has no advertising can play popularity of models or info to sell magazines. Besides they let their readers review their cars like they are not unbiased no matter the make nor always well informed.

Autoweek used to be one of the best unbiased as they did not relay as much on automaker advertising but I have even seen a little shift there too.

The magazines are just holding on by a thread or staple and I would be shocked if we have print magazines of any kind in 10 years that we care about.
post #20 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 02:26 PM

Which would you choose ?

The wannabee on the left. . . or the Truck on the Right ? I choose the TRUCK !

The proof is in the pudding. The Ridgeline is based off of a Crossover vehicle. . . not EVEN an SUV. The Colorado/Canon is based off of it own original Body-On-Frame TRUCK platform. Ergo. . . IT IS a Truck.

CaryBosse and DB/SB like this.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 06-06-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode