Diode Dynamics HID Conversion Kits for Colorado/Canyon! Plug & Play Install! - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jso902

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
ColoradoFans.com Site Sponsors

Arrow Diode Dynamics HID Conversion Kits for Colorado/Canyon! Plug & Play Install!

Premium Can-Bus HID Conversion Kits

(Customer Submitted Comparison)

Diode Dynamics is pleased to offer Premium HyLux HID Conversion Kit. This kit has been carefully designed from the ground up to be the highest-quality HID kit available on the market, without exception.

Ballast: The ballasts are the most important component of an HID kit, as they provide the power. After years of providing mid-range and high-quality ballasts for vehicles of all makes and models, Diode Dynamics learned what was important in making a good ballast, and applied it when designing these.

Controller Chip. Most digital (DSP) ballasts on the market still use generic chips, which are cheap, and work pretty well. However, when you need maximum quality, you need a new computer chip designed for one purpose. This is known as an Application-Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC). These ballasts use brand new DSP ASIC chips for maximum efficiency and brightness, fast warm up time, and extremely stable operation.

CAN-BUS. Some vehicles have systems which sense the power consumption. Since HIDs use less power than factory halogen bulbs, this can cause issues. You can resolve this by adding capacitors, known as warning cancelers, or some ballasts come with them built-in. However, sometimes that's still not enough to trick the vehicle! To fix it, this ballast has not one, but two CAN-BUS modules, which provide capacitance and resistance to the circuit to defeat even the most troublesome modern CANBUS systems. Even if your vehicle does not use a CAN-BUS system, these modules will provide extra power smoothing for reliable operation. Simply put, this ballast will work on any vehicle, the first time you plug it in. With this kit, you don't need to worry about capacitors, warning cancelers, or resistors.

Igniter and Startup. You may have heard of ignition issues with other ballasts, caused by an igniter that is too small to withstand cold temperatures. No reason to worry with these ballasts- the over-sized 24kV external igniter means that you will never have an ignition issue, even in the coldest temperatures. Additionally, the ASIC chip in these ballasts means that you only need 4 amps at nominal voltage to start up. These ballasts consume less power than any other on the market, meaning 100% reliable and fast startups, every time.

Shielding. Ever noticed a little black plastic thing clipped onto your laptop charger cord? That's a ferrite bead, which is used to suppress high-frequency signals, which can create radio interference. All ballasts generate these signals, and most just have protection in the ballast. We've also included ferrite beads on the wire, to suppress them.

LED Indicator. Convenience is key, especially during installation. To make things easy, we've added an indicator LED on the input wire, so you know that the ballast is getting power.

Case. These ballasts are the smallest you will find, about the size of a pack of playing cards. The case is fully potted, or filled with epoxy, which makes them fully waterproof and shockproof. Most ballasts on the market are filled to some degree, but these are completely filled to the top, sparing no expense to ensure longevity.

Bulbs:
The bulbs included with Diode Dynamics kits are CNLight bulbs. CNLight is the top manufacturer of aftermarket bulbs in the world, providing the best quality available. You might see other high-quality kits on the market which also use CNLight bulbs. They provide superior life, brightness, and color attenuation when compared to generic HID bulbs, like those found in most cheaper kits on the market. The one-piece base design prevents any issues with separation over time, making the entire bulb extremely reliable.

The CNLight bulb temperatures are rated accurately in Kelvin temperature at 35W, and have an industry-standard 3000 hours of estimated bulb life, which should outlast your vehicle. Please be aware that most HID bulbs are rated inaccurately from other manufacturers. 8000K is not dark blue, and 6000K is not pure white! We provide accurately-measured colors. 3000K is our lowest temperature, and has a pure yellow output, which is great for use in fog lights. 4300K is a pure white output, as seen on many factory HIDs. It will not have any blue tint to its color, and might appear slightly warm. 6000K is our most popular color, which produces an ice white color. It has a very slight hint of blue, and matches best with most LEDs. 8000K is our highest temperature, which produces an ice blue color. This is not a strong blue color though- it is still primarily white, meaning there will be no decrease in light output.

Relay:
Your Premium CAN-BUS HID Kit includes a brand new Heavy-Duty HID Relay, to power your HIDs directly from the battery, instead of the factory wiring. This relay has been designed from scratch, and utilizes a fully-sealed, waterproof relay, with flyback diode, and even has a built-in capacitor for input power smoothing. All wires are sleeved with braided techflex for an attractive appearance and extra protection. The input wires are each a meter long, and the output wires are one meter and two meters, which means the wiring will be long enough for even the biggest vehicles. The single-ground design makes installation easy. This relay was designed with reliability, convenience, and long-life in mind.

Warranty: Our warranty is through Diode Dynamics, LLC, so you can be assured that you will get fast and friendly service should you have any problems. There is a 3-year limited warranty on all HID Kit components, including HID Bulbs, Ballasts and Relay.

Shipment: We carry our own inventory, so no waiting for them to be shipped from overseas, or waiting on big, unreliable suppliers to ship them. They ship right from our own inventory, in St. Louis, Missouri, usually the same day you order.

Kit comes with:

• One pair HID bulbs in your choice of bulb size and color
  • Two 35w super-slim HyluxTek ballasts
  • Mounting hardware for ballasts
  • Limited Lifetime warranty on electronics (ballasts and wiring)
  • 3-year limited warranty on all components
  • Free Diode Dynamics decal
  • Diode Dynamics 30-day satisfaction guarantee
  • Optional* Heavy-duty HID Relay Harness to protect your factory electronics.

Click To Order Your Colorado / Canyon HID Conversion Kit:

Low Beam HID Conversion Kit for 2004-2013 Chevrolet Colorado

Low Beam HID Conversion Kit for 2015-2016 Chevrolet Colorado

Low Beam HID Conversion Kit for GMC Canyon

Low Beam HID Conversion Kit for 2004-2013 Chevrolet Colorado

Low Beam HID Conversion Kit for 2015-2016 Chevrolet Colorado

Low Beam HID Conversion Kit for GMC Canyon

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post, PM, email contact@diodedynamics.com

*PM us for the free-shipping code* (U.S. forum members only)

Thanks for looking!
Nick C.
Diode Dynamics

Last edited by Diode Dynamics; 09-30-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 08:44 AM

Garage
What color/temperature do you recommend that will match other premium vehicles that have Xenon headlights (such as BMW)?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by image2pixel View Post
What color/temperature do you recommend that will match other premium vehicles that have Xenon headlights (such as BMW)?
4300K is the most common OEM color temperature, which will have a slight hint of yellow to it. I personally prefer 5000K, as it has no color whatsoever, and is pure white.

6000K is the most popular color temperature, and has just a very slight tint of color to it.

Thanks!
Nick C.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 08:07 AM

Do you have an Install Video of this product?

And will the Auto-ON functions of the Low Beams still function normally on my 2016? I've read some reviews that said they will not with the Heavy Duty relay harness.

Thanks. I love the Diode Dynamics LED Fogs, Back up and Interior/Map LEDs.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkyking View Post
Do you have an Install Video of this product?

And will the Auto-ON functions of the Low Beams still function normally on my 2016? I've read some reviews that said they will not with the Heavy Duty relay harness.

Thanks. I love the Diode Dynamics LED Fogs, Back up and Interior/Map LEDs.
Hello,

Unfortunately we do not have an HID installation video available for the Colorado, but here's an example with the Dodge Ram:

They will function the same as your factory halogen lighting, but HID lighting will not function correctly on a half-power DRL setting (I don't believe the Colorado has that function).

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to give us a call: (314) 205-3033

Nick C.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 09:28 AM

Garage
Do you guys offer LED replacement bulbs for the Colorado headlights as well, or just the HIDs?

"Stormtrooper"
2016 Colorado Z71 - Crew Cab - Long Box
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystof View Post
Do you guys offer LED replacement bulbs for the Colorado headlights as well, or just the HIDs?
We don't offer an LED low-beam replacement at this time

Nick C.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 10:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
They will function the same as your factory halogen lighting, but HID lighting will not function correctly on a half-power DRL setting (I don't believe the Colorado has that function).

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to give us a call: (314) 205-3033

Nick C.
It does.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 05:48 PM

Has any body bought the hid fog lights? I just ordered a set for my 16 Colorado, and I got the relay setup too. Hopefully they are easy to install, this is my first set of hid lights ever.

2016 Colorado cc sb Duramax inferno orange
Softopper, big rig lights, DD 3k hid fog lights, Westin max winch tray/ 12,000lb winch combo.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 09:18 AM

Garage
I'm ready to upgrade my low beams, what the advantages/disadvantages of using the additional harness I see as an option when ordering.

2016 Colorado
Red Hot Trail Boss
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbpoe View Post
I'm ready to upgrade my low beams, what the advantages/disadvantages of using the additional harness I see as an option when ordering.
There are no disadvantages to running an HID relay harness. It's added safety and greatly reduces the possibility of flickering. We cover it in greater detail here: Research HID Lighting

Thank you!
Nick C.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 05:30 AM

Garage
Ok. Just installed this thing. It's pretty close to plug and play.

Driver side is easy. You see everything.
The install is straight forward except for the signal wire. I had to figure which signal wire was positive and which one was negative. Oddly my wires did not have the connectors preassembled. Once I figured it out it, the rest was just fitting all the wires into the firewall.

Passenger side is a little more challenging. You have to remove the black molding that assists with the factory cold air intake.

Hopefully I'll get some photos to help anyone looking to do this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Diode Dynamics likes this.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 09:37 AM

Garage
Had a weird glitch. DD has some great customer service and corrected the issue. I'm still not sure what happenned.

Anyways, the hardest part was figuring where to place the relay and ballast.

To install driverside:
Open housing cover

Take factory bulb out.

Drill hole to housing

Signal wire (car headlight wire) connector needs to be identified with a test light. Attach female connector to corresponding wire on HID bulb.

Install HID bulb wires to housing cover. (Seals the hole you made)

Insert bulb into projector.

Close housing cover.

Without a relay, connect corresponding connectors to ballast.
Connectors are dummy proof. They only work one way.

With relay, car headlight signal to relay and relay back to ballast. Then add battery connectors.

Zip tie everything down.

Photo 1 is the driver side. There's a little nook that holds the relay quite nicely. It's located to the right of my ballast. It's a little hard to see.

Passenger side:
The same except you have to remove the cold air intake panels

The best ballast location I could find was in the small area pictured.

Tools needed:
Drill
-for hole cover and relay holder
Screwdriver
10mm socket
Hole drill for light socket covers. It's either 3/4 or 1" .
Plastic Panel pry tool to remove plastic tabs.
Torx Screwdriver for 1 screw
zip ties.

I'll clean this up when I find a computer.

Last edited by jso902; 12-16-2016 at 07:25 AM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 09:58 AM

Garage
Do you ship to Canada, or have a Canadian division? What would the shipping charge and all in price be for the 2016 Canyon conversion kit?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyjeff View Post
Do you ship to Canada, or have a Canadian division? What would the shipping charge and all in price be for the 2016 Canyon conversion kit?
Hello Jeff,

We do ship to Canada. Additionally, we have dealers located in Canada: Dealer Locator Tool

Shipping to Canada is calculated by weight on our checkout page prior to placing your order.

Thank you!
Nick C.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:41 AM

Have you had a feedback on the 2017 Canyons not working with your kits? I've had nothing but issue with a morimoto setup. I get 2 days out of it then no fires.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonesGTO View Post
Have you had a feedback on the 2017 Canyons not working with your kits? I've had nothing but issue with a morimoto setup. I get 2 days out of it then no fires.
Our Hylux kits work on even the most finicky Can-bus vehicle systems out there (Dodge Ram*ehhem*).

If you aren't using a relay harness yet, I'd start with that first. That may correct the issues you are experiencing.

Thank you,
Nick C.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:48 AM

This was the only HID kit I could get to work on my '17

2017 Canyon Denali Duramax 4x4
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

GMC Canyon HID Conversion Kit - Customer Submitted Photo

Nick C.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode