post your towing pics - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 147Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Andrew24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Newmarket Canada
Posts: 516
Garage
post your towing pics

doesnt seem to be to many pictures of these trucks towing! so post your pics ill start, thats my red ext cab towing my 14 foot fishing boat

scratch that cant seem to upload my picture
squiggyfreud likes this.

2015 red hot ext cab z71

Last edited by Andrew24; 12-08-2015 at 07:00 PM. Reason: couldnt upload picture
Andrew24 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 01:01 PM
Member
 
Joe T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Windsor CT
Posts: 34
Garage
https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...-s&fr2=piv-web

Joe Tracy

2016 Colorado extended cab
Cyber Gray
4x4 3.6L
Joe T is offline  
post #3 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Rhoppas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 133
Pulling my Tracker 175 TXW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canyon Boat.JPG (148.8 KB, 619 views)
JBT and TexazReece like this.

2016 GMC Canyon SLE
All-Terrain
Black Exhaust Tip
GMC Mud Flaps
Tech Armor MyLink Shield
Cardinal Red

Rhoppas is offline  
 
post #4 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 05:12 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 16
Garage
Towing 6000lb Camper

Towed a 5650b camper (6200b loaded). Drove it up into the Appalachian mountains a week ago and the truck did fine. The camper is 30' long from hitch to bumper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6507.jpg (281.1 KB, 750 views)
JBT, CPTTango30, sbulldog and 2 others like this.
Rowdruner is offline  
post #5 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 05:17 PM
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Sparta, Tn
Posts: 1,031
Garage
5500lbs loaded, 26ft bumper to tongue.

JBT, savagebob, Morbius and 1 others like this.

2016 Colorado Extended Cab 2wd Cyber Metallic Gray
It's almost as pretty as a Canyon
wildwest450 is offline  
post #6 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Andrew24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Newmarket Canada
Posts: 516
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdruner View Post
Towed a 5650b camper (6200b loaded). Drove it up into the Appalachian mountains a week ago and the truck did fine. The camper is 30' long from hitch to bumper.
how are the mirrors when towing somthing that big? especially backing up around a bit of a corner? work fine with my boat which i cant seem to upload a pic of......

2015 red hot ext cab z71
Andrew24 is offline  
post #7 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 10:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 7,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew24 View Post
how are the mirrors when towing somthing that big? especially backing up around a bit of a corner? work fine with my boat which i cant seem to upload a pic of......
I can tell you that even with something as small as my popup camper, seeing around it is next to impossible with the mirrors. You can only see to one side when backing at best, and if you are going straight back, even that can be tough. My popup ac unit lies slap dab in center of trailer, so even the inside rear view mirror is pretty useless.

Most of my towing over the years have been utility trailers, occasional U-Haul trailer. The box on a U-Haul is narrower than the truck so that was easy to see around as opposed to the wide popup camper.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
CaryBosse is offline  
post #8 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Andrew24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Newmarket Canada
Posts: 516
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
I can tell you that even with something as small as my popup camper, seeing around it is next to impossible with the mirrors. You can only see to one side when backing at best, and if you are going straight back, even that can be tough. My popup ac unit lies slap dab in center of trailer, so even the inside rear view mirror is pretty useless.

Most of my towing over the years have been utility trailers, occasional U-Haul trailer. The box on a U-Haul is narrower than the truck so that was easy to see around as opposed to the wide popup camper.
ive got 3 trailers of my own, my boat which is easy to see in the rear view, can just see it in the side mirrors. my snowmobile trailer which is wide no issues with that one. but my small 10 foot utility trailer i use to haul my quad is a real pain to back up i have to drop my tailgate! GM WE NEED TOW MIRRORS haha

2015 red hot ext cab z71
Andrew24 is offline  
post #9 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 10:53 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 16
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew24 View Post
how are the mirrors when towing somthing that big? especially backing up around a bit of a corner? work fine with my boat which i cant seem to upload a pic of......
The mirrors are okay. Because of the angle I look back at the camper, I can see a good amount of the sides. However, I can't see all the way to the back side and it's next to impossible to gauge whether someone is far enough behind you in the next lane to switch lanes. I hope that makes sense. I use a mirror extension on the passenger side and that helps a lot. I'll be getting an extension for the drivers side as well very soon. My rear camera is getting installed on my camper next week as well so I'm hoping I'll be able to use it while driving and maybe it'll help see traffic towards the back end. It sure would be nice to have the option of installing real tow mirrors. Eh, maybe they would be super ugly too so who knows.

By the way, the camper is a 2016 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB. 29'9" from hitch to bumper. About 26' actual livable space. Awesome camper.

I also really like Wildest450's camper (Aerolite 213RBSL). We looked at that before purchasing the Grand Design and it was a close one between the two. I liked the Aerolite better and the wife liked the Grand Design. Now you know who wears the pants in the fam.
Rowdruner is offline  
post #10 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 09:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 7,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdruner View Post
The mirrors are okay. Because of the angle I look back at the camper, I can see a good amount of the sides. However, I can't see all the way to the back side and it's next to impossible to gauge whether someone is far enough behind you in the next lane to switch lanes. I hope that makes sense. I use a mirror extension on the passenger side and that helps a lot. I'll be getting an extension for the drivers side as well very soon. My rear camera is getting installed on my camper next week as well so I'm hoping I'll be able to use it while driving and maybe it'll help see traffic towards the back end. It sure would be nice to have the option of installing real tow mirrors. Eh, maybe they would be super ugly too so who knows.

By the way, the camper is a 2016 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB. 29'9" from hitch to bumper. About 26' actual livable space. Awesome camper.

I also really like Wildest450's camper (Aerolite 213RBSL). We looked at that before purchasing the Grand Design and it was a close one between the two. I liked the Aerolite better and the wife liked the Grand Design. Now you know who wears the pants in the fam.
Happy wife, happy life.

When I was just a tyke, my dad was driving somewhere and passed someone on a two lane road. I didn't understand how to use the mirrors or anything, so I asked him how he could tell when it was clear to pull over in front of the car he just passed. His answer was pretty simple, if you get up enough speed, as soon as you are along side, just put on your signal, and then pull over. By the time you have turned on the turn signal, you should have traveled far enough to clear the other vehicle. I use a similar approach with the trailer - with enough speed, not a problem. Was it the movie "Around the World in 40 Days" where the driver ripped his rear view mirror off and took off on his journey?

More seriously, on the highway, the limited visibility just causes me to think further ahead on my journey, make sure I am in the correct lane sooner, pay attention to traffic around me. Nothing bad about that. It is backing the trailer up that is always the issue. I hate to think I would have to install a rear view camera on my camper, which means a display screen has to be mounted somewhere in the cab. Another distraction, another contraption in the cab.

One issue I have is I frequently am camping with a 10 year old that I do not trust to direct me backing into a campsite. Thankfully, there usually are other dads to help out.

Keep the pictures and suggestions coming.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
CaryBosse is offline  
post #11 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 06:30 PM
Senior Member
 
savagebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: S FL
Posts: 2,398
Garage
By "towing" I assume you don't mean an International wrecker with a Collie hooked up behind it. I hear that Honda Ridgelines come with the tow package installed on the front. hehe..
CaryBosse and Rhoppas like this.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
savagebob is offline  
post #12 of 192 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 06:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: VA
Posts: 185
Garage
Send a message via AIM to CPTTango30 Send a message via MSN to CPTTango30
I have the 2016 LT 4x4 and we are currently looking for a TT. I talk to some people and they act as if the Colorado can't tow a **** thing because it's not a V-8. My wife is in love with the Grand Design that Rowdruner has.

I remember as a kid my dad had a 78 chevy with a straight 6 and we towed a 24' Prowler over not just the rockies but over the Sierra Nevada's as well on a trip from California to Kansas. That truck had over 100k on the motor and was rated at 105hp and 185 # of torque.

I see guys on here pulling tt that are all of 30' but, then I hear that pulling something like that will just destroy my truck. Not sure what to think. I look at specs and what not and try to ask advice but, many are like colorado of it can't tow **** cause not fullsize as they beat their chest.


We are going to go rent a trailer close to what we are looking at and make a few short weekend trips.
CPTTango30 is offline  
post #13 of 192 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 07:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Nonapplicable
Posts: 784
I towed my 3800+ lbs TT around the town and worked just fine. The truck has the power. Engine size is not important. What matters is power output and the truck suspension to handle the weight.

Originaly my car was the one to tow the TT, but my other vehicle took a dump and had to replace it. So, we end up with the truck. Now I have 2 towing vehicles.

We cannot wait for our first camp out.
Plateado is offline  
post #14 of 192 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 09:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Denver
Posts: 680
btsbarton is online now  
post #15 of 192 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 04:49 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2
btsbarton - that's my new desktop background. Had to tow my 07 blue impreza with my 04 black canyon after I overtightened the oil pressure sensor and blew the engine. That picture is like looking at a better version of that day.
Jordan Burgsma is offline  
post #16 of 192 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
 
and_steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 798
Garage
Here she is towing our mud boat. Haven't put anything larger behind her yet. Will be towing our pontoon later this month and then our ski boat this summer. That should be fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0778.jpg (216.5 KB, 411 views)

Resident thread derailer

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CC SB 4x4

Site Rules


Last edited by and_steve; 03-08-2016 at 05:16 PM.
and_steve is offline  
post #17 of 192 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 05:40 PM
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Sparta, Tn
Posts: 1,031
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by and_steve View Post
Here she is towing our mud boat. Haven't put anything larger behind her yet. Will be towing our pontoon later this month and then our ski boat this summer. That should be fun.
Can you even tell something is back there?


.

2016 Colorado Extended Cab 2wd Cyber Metallic Gray
It's almost as pretty as a Canyon
wildwest450 is offline  
post #18 of 192 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
 
and_steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 798
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Can you even tell something is back there?
Not with this particular boat, no. I imagine the pontoon and ski boat will tow differently. I would have tested it already but I have been so busy on weekends I can't find the time to take the boats to the lake. Soon though.

Resident thread derailer

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CC SB 4x4

Site Rules

and_steve is offline  
post #19 of 192 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 06:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 7,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by and_steve View Post
Not with this particular boat, no. I imagine the pontoon and ski boat will tow differently. I would have tested it already but I have been so busy on weekends I can't find the time to take the boats to the lake. Soon though.
At least with the pontoon boat, I would think the aerodynamics would be such that you would know it was there.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
CaryBosse is offline  
post #20 of 192 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator
 
and_steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 798
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
At least with the pontoon boat, I would think the aerodynamics would be such that you would know it was there.
Agreed. Had a good bit of weight too it as well so that compounded with the fact it is basically a big brick on a trailer, it should be fun.

Resident thread derailer

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CC SB 4x4

Site Rules

and_steve is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome