My Early Build 2015 Build/Progression Thread - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

My Early Build 2015 Build/Progression Thread

<build thread>

Here's the story:
Fall 2014, my daily driver 2001 Audi allroad (Manual swap and big Turbos) starts acting up and randomly not starting. It's becoming worrysome and annoying. (and as of this summer it has been sitting, neglected, unable to start... I will attempt wiring resurrection when we get a warm weekend)

I had been wanting to get a truck to do truck stuff,* so I was looking at K5 blazers... But didn't really want another project.

Then Chevy released the new Colorado, I fell in love. I ended up plucking up what was one of, if not the first, Colly in the state of Colorado. I really wanted a diesel but wasn't willing to wait 1+years for that.

I decided a lease was a good idea for me since I didn't want to be tempted to modify it , that's what my allroad is for. 1 year later I realized in going to go over my mileage, so I've accepted I will be buying the truck at the end of my lease and therefore the Modding has begun LOL.

This thread will follow the build progression of the truck and be a photo dump location.
Enjoy.

Anyways, this was her on the showroom floor. 2015 Z71 4x4 CCLB V6, Tow Package, Bose, 8" screen, Nav.

At this point i was still planning to probably return my truck at the end of the lease period so all my mods are reversible.

First things first, the dam airdam had to go. Like a week after driving it off the lot.

Next up I got tint on the front windows to match the back, 22%. Also did 50% on the windshield.

At about the same time I got a Better Built cross bed tool box, and mounted some fork mounts for bikes to it.

Trip to Moab to camp and bike.

Got about $5k in hail damage over the summer 2015, luckily insurance covered it.

Towed some things

I was happy for a while, kept my word, and didn't modify it.

And then I started getting the itch over the summer.

Installed OEM Black Bowties

Got the Zone 1.25" level in September

Then I started upgrading the lighting. LED license plate bulbs, reverse bulbs, cargo lamps, and interior dome/map lights. And I also added LED ID Marker light bar from GMT800 trucks under the tailgate.

Diode Dynamics 6000K HID'S with HD relay harness.

A few small things in October:
OEM Floor Liners (necessary and overdue)
Mounted a small fire extinguisher under tool box.
DeeZee bed tie downs
Smittybilt hitch receiver Shackle

Also in October Went down to southern Colorado for work, checked out the Sand Dunes and then did some 4x4 road and camped out. Drove up wolf Creek Ski area to the continental divide (for work)

Upgraded tires from 255/65R17 stock z71 Goodyear All Terrain Adventure to Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires 265/70R17 (~32"). Much more aggressive looking tire, winter rated, and add a bit of lift to the truck.

Adopted a fur machine... Err I mean ,* copilot....added ?hammock" to rear seat to keep him and his fur relatively contained

Bit the bullet and got the GM accessory/Kicker VSS 8" Subwoofer Kit

FINALLY got the bed coated with Line-X 12/2015. Something I had been meaning to get since I got the truck.

Thats how we sit at the end of 2015...but i have bigger plans for 2016.
JBT, Jayhawk, USAFquez and 6 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:38 PM

Nice write ..
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 09:57 AM

Nice story.

I think there is an inherent problem with these trucks. Haven't seen a recall notice yet, but I think there is something under the hood, maybe in the dash, or could just be the seats. You mentioned it here, I have the same problem. More I think about it, it must be in the instrument panel.

They just seem to get too many miles on them. Your issue you mentioned is you will have too high of mileage on your lease and will have to buy it at end of lease. I have 21,600 miles and may have do another 400 miles tomorrow I just learned.

I think the odometers on these trucks are broken!
isaac33 and dilbert like this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 10:46 AM

Great quality post! Looking forward to seeing more.

Mods: hood protector | in-channel visors | tinted windows | LED Headlights | LED interior lights | LED footwell lights | brake controller | painted bow-ties | debadged | bump step | terrain hx steps | painted calipers | painted interior trim | seat covers | Z71 grille | AT3 Falkens
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

What is going on here? ;)

Mapped the front end to design and build a custom steel bumper...:speak_no_evil:
Tomorrow I'll be making 3D model magic in solidworks
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 12:41 PM

How did you do the install on the LED ID Marker light bar from GMT800 trucks? Thanks!
k7tnt likes this.

2016 GMC Canyon SLE All Terrain Quicksilver Crew Cab -SB - Nav - Bose - Trailer pckg -
Ordered 9/12/2015,TPW 10/12/2015, Shipped/In Transit 10/17/2015, TOOK DELIVERY 10/31/2015!
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 05:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2858 View Post
How did you do the install on the LED ID Marker light bar from GMT800 trucks? Thanks!
+1 :)
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 06:09 PM

Garage
Can't wait to see what you come up with. I got a 12k lb winch and 2 huge sheets of 3/16 sheet metal I was going to use to make an offroad bumper/winch plate for my s10. I am just not sure if I want to lift my colorado for that off road look or not. Been really temped to get the Westin winch grille guard but I don't like how far it sicks out.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 07:40 PM

Awesome story man....but it's not over....

Every great vehicle will share a narrative with the owner. I once owned a Mazada 626 turbo back in the 80s and early 90s which served this purpose...two trips from the southwest to Alaska and back across the country through the south and home in Maryland. I drove that car to the junkyard with ~300,000 miles on it....a very sad day.....

Sounds like your truck is also making these kinds of memories....

You're gonna have to buy her....

2015 Colorado Z71 4WD CC LB
Brownstone Metallic
Bose/Wheel Flares/Tow Package
K&N CAI
Westin Grill Guard/OPT7 CREE Lightbar/Autospring 2" level/American Tonneau tri-fold

Last edited by Morbius; 01-02-2016 at 07:44 PM.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Nice story.

I think there is an inherent problem with these trucks. Haven't seen a recall notice yet, but I think there is something under the hood, maybe in the dash, or could just be the seats. You mentioned it here, I have the same problem. More I think about it, it must be in the instrument panel.

They just seem to get too many miles on them. Your issue you mentioned is you will have too high of mileage on your lease and will have to buy it at end of lease. I have 21,600 miles and may have do another 400 miles tomorrow I just learned.

I think the odometers on these trucks are broken!
Know what you mean...I've only driven my truck rarely since July and already have over 10k miles on it!

2015 Colorado Z71 4WD CC LB
Brownstone Metallic
Bose/Wheel Flares/Tow Package
K&N CAI
Westin Grill Guard/OPT7 CREE Lightbar/Autospring 2" level/American Tonneau tri-fold

post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Had to drill a couple holes into the body ( :( ) under the tailgate then it's just bolted. Tapped the license plate lights for power.

And today got a good jump on modeling the bumper

It looks like it's too wide, but I think it's the perspective of the picture because I made the bumper based off dimensions so I know that it is correct
USAFquez and matt2858 like this.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 11:50 PM

cant wait to see the finished product installed
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsbarton View Post
Had to drill a couple holes into the body ( :( ) under the tailgate then it's just bolted. Tapped the license plate lights for power.
Any way you can think of NOT to drill and keep it there? GM Part #? Thanks!

2016 GMC Canyon SLE All Terrain Quicksilver Crew Cab -SB - Nav - Bose - Trailer pckg -
Ordered 9/12/2015,TPW 10/12/2015, Shipped/In Transit 10/17/2015, TOOK DELIVERY 10/31/2015!
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 11:19 AM

Garage
Nice build!!
I have the same Diode Dynamics 6000K HID'S with HD relay harness. I'm experiencing loud buzzing from the actual relay only. Do you have any issues with that?
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmduran1 View Post
Nice build!!
I have the same Diode Dynamics 6000K HID'S with HD relay harness. I'm experiencing loud buzzing from the actual relay only. Do you have any issues with that?
Yes, switch your signal wires polarity where it taps into the existing harness plug
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Any way you can think of NOT to drill and keep it there? GM Part #? Thanks!
You could 3m tape it but I think you will still need a hole for the wires to go thru
matt2858 likes this.
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 12:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yes, switch your signal wires polarity where it taps into the existing harness plug
Thanks so much. Will give that a try.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Played with the model a bit this evening...removed the upper chamfer pieces to simplify fabrication, swaped jack point with shackle pulloff points(pulloff points see higher loads, so that now is closer to the welds and where it attaches to the frame), made cutouts for the stock tow Hooks, changed the winch access holes and lower cooling holes, and added cutout US flags on the corners (had to simplificy and reduce # of stars based on the plasma tables limited precision... Might try to get those parts water jet or laser cut)
I'm still throwing some other conceptual ideas around on the styling side of things

Suggestions , comments, and any suggested features... Since there's a small chance these might end up getting small batch production.

post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 08:28 PM

Garage
Look good.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Hmm what's this that showed up :D....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode