Purchaser Demographics Thread - Page 15 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #281 of 290 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 03:55 PM

47 here, Black, married, 2 boys at the house whom are old enough to be gone LOL and 3 small dogs (2 whom love to ride), Ex military never owned a truck always sports and luxury cars. Picked up a few new hobbies which involved me driving my Infiniti Q50 off road and she was not to pleased about that. So now that my lease is up I went and purchased 2016 AT V6 Black Canyon, right now I wish the milage was a little better was hoping for 22 and its at 16 on my first tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 290 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 05:35 PM

Garage
48 year old male. Being 6'5" sedans just don't cut it. The wife has a Highlander so don't really need a second SUV. Was looking at mid size trucks for a year until I pulled the plug on my Canyon. First truck. With 2 teenage boys, we occasionally will load mountain bikes in the rear but for the most part, 95+ % of the time, this will be my daily driver. May tow a few times per year. Figure it will come in handy down the road with kids going off to school or moving to their own places in the years to come.

2016 Canyon SLE All Terrain Crew Cab 4x4
Cyber Grey / Jet Black
Steps removed
UnderCover Tonneau
Weatherguard Mud Flaps and Floor Liner
Opt 7 LED Headlights and Fogs
LED Reverse Lights
BNR Tune / Diablosport intune i2
post #283 of 290 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 06:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson View Post
Wow I am shocked... I read somewhere that GM's main target with the midsize twins was tradesmen while targeting self employed contractors/companies with full size trucks. I quickly read through this entire thread and I'm shocked that not one person said they are a tradesman (or even a construction contractor).
Tradesmen don't hang out here.
post #284 of 290 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 11:32 PM

Garage
Late 60s retired male, I recently bought a 2016 Colorado WT, 2WD, 4-cyl, manual transmission. This is my third Chevy and first pickup, but I have always wanted a Chevy PU. In high school in the early 1960s I had my eye on an early 1950s Chevy PU, but it didn't happen. Then life's responsibilities intervened. I had a 1953 Bel Air for a time in college, then a succession of cars good to terrible until we got our 2014 Cruze, only the second car I've bought with an automatic transmission and the first one for which it worked.

The Cruze is a fine automobile but that's my wife's commuter car. I drive a 1994 Rodeo, a GM/Isuzu collaboration like the Colorado/Canyon. It's an excellent vehicle, built like a truck, but after a quarter million miles I decided it was time to move on. I've been reading about the Colorado for awhile and had decided that would be my next wheels, but without acting on it. Then, when I started to look more seriouly, I discovered one configured exactly the way I wanted it, including color (black). It was the only one of its type in the state, as far as I know, so I snapped it up without even driving it (or any other Col/Can), or even seeing it. (I'm not recommending that anyone buy a truck this way.)

Now that I've picked it up (so to speak) and driven it a bit I can say that I am completely satisfied. There is almost nothing that I would change that can't easily be done with aftermarket mods. I might have wanted it with 4WD if I could have got it with manual transmission and transfer case, like my Rodeo, but that's ok. I have experience with a RWD vehicle in winter conditions, so I know what I have to do, and I save a little money.

My expectation is that this will be the last vehicle I ever buy. I'm pretty sure I won't live long enough to match the mileage on my Rodeo.
Baybilly likes this.
post #285 of 290 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 01:03 AM

39 year old scientist/engineer/jarhead. Married w/ two young kids. Do lots of outdoor stuff and live on acreage.

I have many years and many miles on Subaru and Toyota SUVs. I shoulda bought a truck years ago. I wanted a Tacoma, but I was really disappointed when I drove it. I thought I'd always have Japanese cars, but that changed when I test drove a Colorado.

I wasn't seriously looking, but I found some incredible deals - insane deals really (I got about $5300 below sticker and 0% financing for 60 mo w/ 0 down). So I pulled the trigger. '16 Z71 CGM CC Bose, spray in, towing, flares, etc. Aftermarket modz include Trifecta, steps, 2" leveling.

I'm seeking to get a front skid plate, some way to haul bikes, maybe tint front windows, different wheels/tires.
post #286 of 290 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 11:38 AM

Garage
54 y/o male, retired a couple years ago after 33 yrs with the same company. 3 kids, 5 grandsons, 3 dogs, 3 fish, a small raised bed garden keep me busy when not helping my best friend at his dive store, where we spend the morning deciding what to eat for lunch.
Obviously, I love scuba diving, but also enjoy snow skiing, fishing and hunting.
Moved from a 2013 Avalanche to this wagon. Loving the minimax.

2016 Colorado CCSB, Duramax Z71 4x4, bose, nav, leveling kit, retrax bed cover, linex, Westin Sportsman Grill Guard Winch Mount, Westin T-Max 9500lb winch, Mictuning curved light bar, Undercover swing case's.
post #287 of 290 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson View Post
Wow I am shocked... I read somewhere that GM's main target with the midsize twins was tradesmen while targeting self employed contractors/companies with full size trucks. I quickly read through this entire thread and I'm shocked that not one person said they are a tradesman (or even a construction contractor).
I'm an Ironworker in NYC. 40 2 kids with 3rd (and last) due soon. If I use a company van, my options to travel home are limited due to the commercial plates which leads to an excruciatingly long commute home. All the big stuff gets delivered to the job on a delivery truck anyway. I had 2005 F150 getting 10-11mpg. Same as you, I don't need a fullsize and the money I save in fuel pays for more than half the note on my colorado. Plus I hated staring at the blue oval on the steering wheel. I have owned 3 s-10s in the past and got a good deal on the ford, but never liked it all that much.
post #288 of 290 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:06 PM

Garage
I'm a 48 y/o male. I'm an outside sales rep and drive a mini van M-F for work.
Over the last 29 yrs, I have owned 5 Chevy S-10 trucks, 2 S-blazers, 2 Trailblazers (LS, SS) and an '11 Collie before my current '16 Collie. I have always been a truck guy, but do enjoy my other two current rides as well.
Chevy FTW!!

'16 CrewShort LT V6 4x4,
Summit white- 4LT- Black/ash cloth- Bose/Nav- LPO Dual mode exhaust- Black bow ties- White OEM Grille- Air Dam removed- 18" Canyon SLT polished wheels- Rhino lined bed- Lund snap Tonneau cover- Front doors tinted- OEM Fender Flares- next

2010 Corvette Grand Sport coupe- Crystal red/black
1990 Corvette coupe= Dark red/black

Last edited by 16 Rado in CO; 01-05-2017 at 02:15 PM.
post #289 of 290 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:51 AM

62 and retiring well... umm... tomorrow...
post #290 of 290 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:57 AM

52yo (53 in a few weeks) white male (upper?)-middle class guy. Wife, two kids (15 and 10). I work in the technical/software industry for a company that manufactures meters for electric, gas, and water utilities worldwide. I'm also a US Navy vet (6 years in the 1980's). I'm moving off a full sized Tundra to the Canyon CCSB dMax. Prior trucks have been Toyota Tacoma (1990 - 1996), Dodge Dakota (1996 - 2007), and Toyota Tundra (2007 - 2016). The Tundra was a wonderful vehicle but at 9.5 years old and 175K miles it was time to consider something different. Even thought the Tundra was going strong, it was an ongoing PITA to park in tight spots and on narrow roads I was always competing for space with other vehicles not to mention the dismal MPG from the 5.8L V8.

I shopped the Tacoma, the Colorado, and the Canyon and went back and forth between the Colorado and the Canyon. In the end, I settled on the styling of the Canyon although there were things that I liked and disliked about both models. I'm still sort of 'getting used to' the truck, but I was really focused on moving to a smaller vehicle since we seem to have less of a need these days for the full sized variant. I will miss the bed capacity for hauling mulch, dirt, etc, but the Canyon bed is reasonable, and I have scoped out dual axle trailer rentals (U-haul) for those times when I need to pick up larger or heavier amounts of material. I'm thinking of this as 'the truck I need' rather than maybe 'the truck I want' and am working to grow into it. After 1.5 weeks of ownership, I'm getting happier with it. The dMax engine is a perk to me. I have not had a diesel before, but thought this would be a differentiator and make my truck different from those other twins in the area (although there is at least 1 other truck identical to mine in the Raleigh area!). I expect to use the truck mainly for daily commute, with the occasional need to haul mulch/dirt/plants/lumber. I don't really expect to be doing much or any towing with it, but nice to know that the ability is there should my needs change.

In the end, I could have bought any truck that I wanted, but really wanted a mid sized truck for this stage in life. There are limited options, and I researched these vehicles for quite some time, probably over-analyzing things which is how I generally roll. I'm looking forward to what I hope are years of enjoyment for this vehicle. I'm already enjoying the massive MPG upgrade over the avg 13.9MPG from my Tundra!

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CCSB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Summit White

First Planned Mods:
Amp-Research Powerstep
Homelink
Tonneau (brand/style TBD)

Last edited by RandyNC; 01-07-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode