Purchaser Demographics Thread - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 296 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Purchaser Demographics Thread

I'm sure all of us here are glad that GM is going to be offering a new midsize/smaller truck again. The question I have is who exactly is ordering the new Colorado/Canyon? I've read that automakers have been shying away from this market segment because most buyers prefer a full-size truck anyway.

Let's talk about ourselves a bit in this thread, and explain how and why we are different from a full-size truck buyer.

I'm 26 years old, don't have kids, and just don't need a huge truck. I enjoy spending time outdoors, haul home improvement supplies often, and find other uses for having an open truck bed. This will be my primary vehicle, so I also wanted something smaller than a Silverado for parking/maneuverability purposes. A full-size truck is simply overkill for my needs.

I work in the real estate industry and enjoy golf in my spare time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 296 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 01:29 PM

Garage
I'm also 26 (27 in a few weeks) no kids (not married) don't have need for a FS since I will use this as my daily driver, lots of outdoor activities, rock climbing, mountain biking, going to Zions national park (UT) etc, lots of camping dirt biking boating (If I need to tow our boat my two brothers and my dad all have 2500HD's all within 20 miles of me) you name it, so it will be much more useful than my current Audi A4- I am a Sales Account manager for a marketing firm, and am in charge of new acquisitions and also all sales nationwide
post #3 of 296 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 02:33 PM

Garage
I'm a 39 y/o geologist, married, one kid. We live in Colorado and bike, ski, and hike. Do a fair amount of home improvement projects. I have to drive a FS for work from time to time and can't stand maneuvering those things around. Will also be my daily drive so MPG is a plus. I hope to buy a small pop-up camper this summer as well. I think the V6 can handle towing 1900lbs.

post #4 of 296 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 02:41 PM

55 year old male professional on my second, or third career, with wife, two grandkids at home while daughter goes back to school. Oh, and two dogs.

Drive 18K per year for work & personal, lot of outdoor activities, home improvements. Need 4 doors, something quieter than my Wrangler since I often am using my vehicle as a second office.

I am a big guy, have trouble getting in and out of low riding cars, don't need or want a FS. Probably the upper end age wise of the GM target market, since if I don't get a truck, would probably go to a SUV or crossover.
post #5 of 296 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 04:13 PM
Banned

30 yrs old. Wife. New born child.

Basically, a fullsize is just overkill for what I need. I do enough diy stuff that I find myself needing a bed often enough,and it just fits my wants/needs better than a midsize SUV would. I also have a dirtbike (that I hardly ride anymore but wish I could more lol) and family has fourwheelers. I also want decent fuel economy for a truck, and I want something that gets me off the ground, but isnt huge. I don't haul or two huge or very heavy items much at all...if ever.

This size truck is perfect for me.
post #6 of 296 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 11:56 PM

31 year old, Married with 3 kids and 2 dogs ( not large dogs )

This will be my daily driver as I currently own a 2008 Trailblazer LT and get 18.5 mpg. I Love my TB but would like a MS truck for the open bed when needed. Although they are nice but a FS truck would be too much for me as the things I do would fit in just right with the MS Colorado/Canyon. I could load my kayak, home improvement supplies, and offers the towing I'll need. My only thing is to see if it will be a bit tight for my kids in the back. I know it's a bit shorter in the second row compared to my TB but will determine when the are at the dealer and if there is a bit of problem we can use our CX-9.

This truck is perfect for me. I can't wait
post #7 of 296 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 12:02 PM

Ok, here's my info:

I'm getting a Canyon SLT 4WD CC, LB.

My current truck that will soon be traded in is a 2008 Colorado Z71 2WD CC SB. I have had reliability issues with this truck, but love the look, utility and the ride of it (minus all the cabin noise). GM could have done better with it, but it fit my needs the best at the time.

I'm a 33 year old male, married with no kids (yet, but hope to soon). I also have a dog (a Beagle). For some reason that seems to be common on this thread...kinda interesting.

My hobbies include hunting, landscaping, home improvement projects. I also have found a use for a truck at work. I'm a pastor and have found a lot of instances where someone needs help with something (a donation of something-or-other that needs to go someplace, carrying a truckload of people to a retreat or a meeting with possible luggage or supplies in the back, etc). I've also needed a truck with ground clearance when visiting someone's house or farm down a deep-rutted sandy FL road. I'm also part of a Disaster Response network to help communities (and their churches) when FL gets hit with a natural disaster, so a 4WD truck will come in handy.

As far as reasons I don't get a FS, well, this truck is my daily driver, so I value the mpg and I also value the ease of maneuverability into parking garages that I do on a regular basis. Backup camera is a big reason I'm buying this truck too.

Cost is another reason. I want a truck that can also double as an office, so interiors and technology are important to me. A FS with my type of interior would be a solid 50-55k, and I just don't need to spend that much on a truck, even if I could afford it. Kinda ostentatious, not my style and also overkill for my needs. I feel swallowed up in a FS, like I'm in a tank or something.

That's about all I can think of for now, but I'm looking forward to getting in my new truck and seeing if all the hype is real.
post #8 of 296 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 01:43 PM

Even us older guys like these trucks. :) I am 59 and single don't want a FS truck but need a truck. Ordered a Z71, extended cab, 4WD. I have a travel trailer that weights about 5K loaded need something to tow it with, a daily driver, fun vehicle, haul construction materials and gear. The list goes on and on. I hope this truck fits the bill.
post #9 of 296 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 02:24 PM

I'm early 40's, two kids, married professional but enjoy some blue collar activities also. I've always had Dakota's as the size and capabilities were near perfect. Towed great with the V8, low enough to load, small enough to park, etc...

I haven't ordered anything and am waiting to make my final decision when they hit the lots. I'm partial to waiting on the diesel but may consider the gas V6 if it is economical enough and feels like it has the torque to do the work I need it to.

If I don't like either I'll just keep my Dakota until something more enticing comes along and go get me a Focus ST or new Mustang instead for a daily driver.
post #10 of 296 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

I'm enjoying reading everyone's contributions, and gaining an understanding of the early owner base. Keep it coming!
post #11 of 296 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 10:12 PM

I am 28 married with no children just moved into our new house and have a 2012 Silverado crew cab that I love. It only has 16000 miles but I just don't need a full size truck. Looking forward to my redrock metallic crew cab z71 4x4 shortbox loaded that I have on order. I hope to see it in October. The space savings in the garage and maneuverability are bug selling points for me.
post #12 of 296 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 06:43 AM

50 year old single guy here, grew up on the family farm around Ford trucks, but was always a GM truck man, live in the suburbs now. Haven't owned a truck since 2011, miss the high seating position and the solid, comfortable feel of a pickup truck. I'm a homeowner, and a truck would come in handy pretty much every weekend. I also like the all-weather security of 4WD for going to work in winter and weekend fun, a bit of light 4 wheeling. I am one of those that prefers the smaller size of these trucks v. a fullsize for garageability and maneuverability. Looking forward to ownership, want to see them in person before making a final decision.
post #13 of 296 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 02:18 PM

27 year old, not married and no kids.

I bought a house in the city 4 years ago but grew up out in the country. I do A LOT of home improvment projects that require a truck. I also heat my house with a wood burner so am pulling trailers loaded with firewood. I also frequently load the bed of my current truck (1998 4.3 v6 S10 extended cab with 110,000 mile) with firewood cut and stacked at my parents property.

I also have a camper I borrow from time to time when I go camping. That or the bed of the truck is loaded with tent camping gear, and bikes.

I had body work done on my current truck a little over a year ago to take care of rust and the like. I am holding out until next year to see what the 2.8D brings and then make my choice.

I am a computer programmer.
post #14 of 296 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHEELBURNS View Post
I'm a 39 y/o geologist, married, one kid. We live in Colorado and bike, ski, and hike. Do a fair amount of home improvement projects. I have to drive a FS for work from time to time and can't stand maneuvering those things around. Will also be my daily drive so MPG is a plus. I hope to buy a small pop-up camper this summer as well. I think the V6 can handle towing 1900lbs.
I'll be seeing you around Littleton.

I'm 28, practically married, have a dog, and I'm a surgical nurse. I enjoy a ton of outdoor activities. Camping, hiking, snowboarding, and I want to get into kayaking. I also purchased my first home a couple of months ago and I'm constantly going to Home Depot. My mazdaspeed 3 has gotten me by mostly, but I'd like a truck for bigger future projects. And I'd like something better for reaching the hard to get to trailhead.
post #15 of 296 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 08:19 PM

Male, 49, married, computer programmer & musician. Been using a Saturn SL2 as a 'truck' for 22 years (261k mi) and decided I need a real truck. Hauling gear (& soon trailers), house and property stuff in the city and country.

Don't need or want a full-size...needs to fit in the garage and be able to load without backing out.

Canyon CC SB 4wd SLT will be the new daily driver and workhorse.
post #16 of 296 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 08:18 AM

It's good to get a feel for where the average Twin enthusiast is coming from by reading these posts

43 year old (next month) married guy with 2 girls, 15 & 2.

My previous truck I drove for 13 years (a lifted Ford Superduty Powerstroke dyno verified with 668 rwhp) but the mpg and maintenance just become too inconvenient, plus it wasn't a CC. Also my life changed when I got married 4 years ago. I use to spend probably 50% of my income on vehicles (multiple cars, trucks, and motorcycles) but I just won't do that now.

I use a truck daily although admittedly, I could manage my workload with a car and a hitch if needed.

Because I sell 18 wheelers I drive through customers gravel and mud filled parking lots daily. Also, it's an industry where picking up 2 burly guys in the airport happens many times per year as people fly in to pick up there truck.(s) And EVERYONE in this industry drives a FS truck, mostly lifted diesel 4x4.
One of my best 'in's' in my industry is I'll help the parts guys out by delivering parts to a local customer. Say a customer I have seen around but never met has a pallet of brakes going out, well I'll deliver them on my way home and get in to see the customer that way.
I haul 1-3 mountain bikes 2-4 days per week. My 2 year old is very aggressive like her daddy and I plan on us camping out of the truck and doing some local mountain bike adventures by the time she is 5-6 years old.
I haul my KTM dirt bike 2-6x per month and occasionally a friend and his bike comes along.
I currently drive 30K miles/ year so fuel is a major expense. Some people think that if you can afford the fuel who cares, but I'd much rather spend my money on things that are more important to me.
I drive to Colorado annually and am eager to get my 2 year old out on the slopes with me beginning very soon.
Home improvement projects are a constant in my home. I haul lumber, and material (soil, rocks, etc) often.

This new MS truck in a CC LB with the diesel is a great fit for me. I'm 6' 180# so I fit inside great and 95% of the time I'm by myself in my truck. My girls weigh 110#, 85#, and 25# so they sure fit. I'm quick to negotiate traffic and in the traffic in this town, you have to be nimble. I actually am shopping for a replacement home closer to work and I bid on one today with a really skinny weird driveway. That skinny driveway would be much more complicated with a FS truck. It's not ideal but in our price range in this extremely hot housing market and our needed locations, it fits out needs well in spite of the driveway.

Lastly, it doesn't hurt that my company owns both a GMC and Chevy dealership which allows me to buy either at employee pricing.

I have pretty much decided to go all of the way with this truck, especially since my wife chose a home well below our budget and my annual mileage is likely to get cut about in half with this move. My truck will be a loaded Canyon SLT CC LB 4x4 2.8D. It will get a fold away topper, a lift, and engine mods and I can hardly wait.
post #17 of 296 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 10:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy'sRide View Post
I'm a 33 year old male, married with no kids (yet, but hope to soon). I also have a dog (a Beagle). For some reason that seems to be common on this thread...kinda interesting.
Easy answer:

post #18 of 296 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 02:26 PM

32 Year old married with 2 kids 5 and 6..... Full size is just to big and does not fit in my garage. I have never had a truck before so this is all new to me. While dealing with youth sports I find that having a truck is very beneficial in hauling football, baseball, etc.. equipment..

Plan on getting Canyon SLT...
post #19 of 296 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 05:19 PM

Suns PSD, please tell me about your "foldaway topper." I'm a mountain biker too, and I have a fiberglass cap on my 2008 Colorado It's useful, but I don't really care for it much. I'd really like to be able to have a topper when I go camping, etc, and easily remove and store it when I'm at home.
post #20 of 296 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 01:56 PM

28 year old male, married with one kid. I am a homeowner and I have a "race car" that I autocross on the weekends.

I need a truck primarily for home ownership tasks like towing a trailer with grass/rock/dirt or picking up larger items from Home Depot like 2x4s, 8' lawn edging, screen doors, etc. I also like the option of being able to tow my autocross car on a trailer if I decide to get more serious about racing which would prevent me from having to drive the car to and from the event and switching between street and R-compound tires.

The Colorado appeals to me primarily because of it's size. I like that 16" shorter than my father-in-law's '14 Tundra and 8" Shorter then my father's '98 F150. I've always hated driving trucks and battling with parking or coming within an inch of the garage wall if I want to park inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode