Colorado Purchase Price - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Colorado Purchase Price

All,

In the next 3 weeks, I'm planning on buying a 2016 CC Z71 4X4. Today at lunch I ventured out to my Chevy dealership to reaffirm my decision. I made a checklist of stuff I wanted to check while there and took one out for a spin. Absolutely love it and know now more than ever that it's the truck I want.

That brings me to the topic of pricing. In my planning and figuring (and after reading on these forums), asking for close to 10% off of MSRP wasn't outrageous or unheard of. That is what I based my plan off of.

After my test drive today, I talked to the sales consultant and mentioned that I was happy to see the resell value of these be high and he responded with "that's why we don't discount colorados at all, they resale high", followed by "just like with Tacos, you don't see us taking 4-5K off of these things.

Can you tell me an average % of MSRP that you all ended up paying?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestmistak33 View Post
All,

In the next 3 weeks, I'm planning on buying a 2016 CC Z71 4X4. Today at lunch I ventured out to my Chevy dealership to reaffirm my decision. I made a checklist of stuff I wanted to check while there and took one out for a spin. Absolutely love it and know now more than ever that it's the truck I want.

That brings me to the topic of pricing. In my planning and figuring (and after reading on these forums), asking for close to 10% off of MSRP wasn't outrageous or unheard of. That is what I based my plan off of.

After my test drive today, I talked to the sales consultant and mentioned that I was happy to see the resell value of these be high and he responded with "that's why we don't discount colorados at all, they resale high", followed by "just like with Tacos, you don't see us taking 4-5K off of these things.

Can you tell me an average % of MSRP that you all ended up paying?
Yeah I heard the same regarding not being able to take a lot off the MSRP. I was able to take advantage of a "bonus tag" (a grand off due to, my guess, being on the lot for awhile) and an additional 750 off for some other promotion they were running last month, something about not having a Chevrolet. I paid 35 grand OTD here in VA for a 2016 extended cab 4x4 Z71 red rock with nav/bose, trailer package, V6, and fender flares.

truecar.com is also helpful for stuff like this. According to that, I did pretty well.
KondoZ71 likes this.

2016 Audi S3
2016 Colorado Z71

Last edited by cristobal09; 07-22-2016 at 02:58 PM.
post #3 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 04:25 PM

45K OTD including 6% Sales tax, 270 for plates, a couple grand for 5yr 100,000 mi bumper to bumper warranty,
OEM hard tonneau, Swing out boxes, stainless steps, fender flares.
4 Michelein LTX tires (Mounted on OEM wheels I supplied. I kept the factory wheels and tires for winter)
2016 CrewCab Diesel Z71 with Bose and Navigation.

post #4 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 04:51 PM
PAR

Garage
I got mine with Supplier pricing. $200 below invoice. After TTL, GAP, and 100,000 mile warranty, I was in $35K out the door. $530/month

2015 Colorado CC/SB LT 2WD 3.6L V6
Cyber Gray/Jet Black
Convenience Pkg
18" Wheels
Tow Pkg/Locking Diff.
post #5 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 05:39 PM

Is BS... all is open to negociation. I got about 5K under MSRP; if the dealer wants it can give it to you for free. By the way, asked how much my truck is worth with 12,500 miles. I was surprised that got $25,500 trade in value. With that number... is very tempting to trade for a Diesel.
post #6 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 06:46 PM
CFI

Do not buy unless the price is at least 10% off sticker less any applicable incentives.
Rogue01, jatlfan and belowradar like this.

2016 Canyon Ext Cab SLE
Red Rock
3.6L
Tow package / Locking rear
Single zone /slider
Bed Rug
Lear XL cap
Lear Ultimate tail gate seal
Weather Teck liners and splash guards.
Production date 10/15

post #7 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I thought 10% under MSRP felt about right but I was taken back after hearing the dealer.

Funny story as well... I asked about free oil changes and tire rotation and he told me maybe but couldn't guarantee it. When I walked he handed me a Colorado booklet that talked about Chevy Complete Care that included your first 2 oil changes and tire rotations!
post #8 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 11:03 AM

There's no set standard for amount discounted. Sometimes high demand cars go for more than sticker price. Like anything else, its about supply vs. demand. It also depends on in-stock vs order, high configurations vs base, local demand etc. Demand right now for the twins is fairly high but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to hold their feet to the fire. It also depends on how much of a hurry you are in to buy. If you can wait, production is stepping up which should put pressure on pricing. You may be able to pick up a '16 a bit cheaper.
post #9 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 12:57 PM

10% is fairly common and is what I got on my New Canyon, but not all dealerships are willing to work with you on discounts.
You might also keep an eye on the upcoming rebates, GM will start offering higher rebates towards the end of summer and through the fall on in stock models.
I've purchased several vehicles at that time of the year and between dealer discounts and rebates I've saved up to $5000.00 depending on the model.
I wanted an Extended Cab and since there are very few of them around and I needed one asap, I had my dealer trade for one and I was pleased with the 10% discount !
post #10 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 03:12 PM
CFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkman View Post
There's no set standard for amount discounted. Sometimes high demand cars go for more than sticker price. Like anything else, its about supply vs. demand. It also depends on in-stock vs order, high configurations vs base, local demand etc. Demand right now for the twins is fairly high but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to hold their feet to the fire. It also depends on how much of a hurry you are in to buy. If you can wait, production is stepping up which should put pressure on pricing. You may be able to pick up a '16 a bit cheaper.
Neither model is a high demand unit. They a readily available to the dealers.

2016 Canyon Ext Cab SLE
Red Rock
3.6L
Tow package / Locking rear
Single zone /slider
Bed Rug
Lear XL cap
Lear Ultimate tail gate seal
Weather Teck liners and splash guards.
Production date 10/15

post #11 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremely Red View Post
10% is fairly common and is what I got on my New Canyon, but not all dealerships are willing to work with you on discounts.
You might also keep an eye on the upcoming rebates, GM will start offering higher rebates towards the end of summer and through the fall on in stock models.
I've purchased several vehicles at that time of the year and between dealer discounts and rebates I've saved up to $5000.00 depending on the model.
I wanted an Extended Cab and since there are very few of them around and I needed one asap, I had my dealer trade for one and I was pleased with the 10% discount !
The dealer that id like to buy from has 12 of them on hand and he said thats more than he has ever had. The truck they have has everything i want except it is black and i prefer grey. If it is still there mid August, i'm going to push them on it and mention that i know they need to move it and see what happens.
post #12 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 04:39 PM

I ordered my 2016 and got it for $29,500. Sticker was right @ 32.5K. Z71 Extended cab, Bose/Nav, Trailer package, Mud guards. Close to 10% off. I just went in and told the sales manager what I was willing to pay. He tried to dicker and I told him no haggling, some other dealer would take my offer, did he want the sale? He took it. I have bought 3 other vehicles from them, including my Vette, so I guess that helped.

'16 Z71 EC
GMPP Exhaust - K&N (Stock CAI) - Hypertech 89 Octane Tune
Hellwig Anti Sway Bar - Rear

Morimoto HID conversion 5500K
Morimoto LED Projector Fog Lights 5500K
GM Color Matched Grille
AVS VentShades
Colorado badges removed
Black Bow Ties

Red LED Dome lights
Canyon (soft) black center arm rest
Canyon Dark Bronze Aluminum Radio Bezel
Browneye's Rear Seat Shelf

Bed Rug & Tailgate Mats

More to come!
post #13 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 05:10 PM

I'm also in the market for a new Colorado. Only thing holding me back is waiting to see what the 2017 will offer. If no major differences, I will go with the 2016. I've received pricing from several local dealers in my area on the 2016 Z71 Crew Cab Long Bed V6 4x4. The "worst" pricing I got was about 3k off MSRP. Quirk Chevy is currently offering $5,500 off any Colorado on their lot ($4,500 automatic and another $1,000 with any trade). Don't be fooled too much...they are starting to heavily discount. Ordering for the 2017's is right around the corner so it's going to be a good time to pick up a 2016.
post #14 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 05:25 PM
JBT

Garage
Yeah, what he said. ^ ^ End of the year sales.
RandyNC likes this.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab
post #15 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 07:28 PM

Not the exact same but just wrapped my deal on a crew cab canyon all terrain with Bose nav ect. Msrp was 38,200. I paid 33450 before tax title fees. At first dealer tried saying he couldn't go below supplier pricing, so I was leaving and he came running out and said he had a "coupon" that only certain dealers had that he could use for me. Needless to say he met my 33450 price point to make the sale. Just call their BS like it is. They even had a 1000 dollar "instant market markup" which dealer tried to say was due to demand, and a 500 "high speed machine waxing" fee. I told him up front that was horse **** because they had 10 on the lot. Manager says to me, " 1 in 10 will pay that sticker price though, so we gotta try". Just gotta understand the game and hopefully work with a dealer that doesn't try and bullshit you too much, because at the end of the day the number of trucks they sell is more important than the profit from an individual deal.
clete and belowradar like this.
post #16 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailout View Post
Not the exact same but just wrapped my deal on a crew cab canyon all terrain with Bose nav ect. Msrp was 38,200. I paid 33450 before tax title fees. At first dealer tried saying he couldn't go below supplier pricing, so I was leaving and he came running out and said he had a "coupon" that only certain dealers had that he could use for me. Needless to say he met my 33450 price point to make the sale. Just call their BS like it is. They even had a 1000 dollar "instant market markup" which dealer tried to say was due to demand, and a 500 "high speed machine waxing" fee. I told him up front that was horse **** because they had 10 on the lot. Manager says to me, " 1 in 10 will pay that sticker price though, so we gotta try". Just gotta understand the game and hopefully work with a dealer that doesn't try and bullshit you too much, because at the end of the day the number of trucks they sell is more important than the profit from an individual deal.
That's a great deal!! Good for you. Mine will be 39200 MSRP, so it's encouraging to hear what you got yours down too. Great deal!!
post #17 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristobal09 View Post
Yeah I heard the same regarding not being able to take a lot off the MSRP. I was able to take advantage of a "bonus tag" (a grand off due to, my guess, being on the lot for awhile) and an additional 750 off for some other promotion they were running last month, something about not having a Chevrolet. I paid 35 grand OTD here in VA for a 2016 extended cab 4x4 Z71 red rock with nav/bose, trailer package, V6, and fender flares.

truecar.com is also helpful for stuff like this. According to that, I did pretty well.
I got those two incentives as well, and then got educator pricing on top of that. My LT crew cab with V-6 and towing package listed at $30,280 and I ended up OTD at around $26,700 if you don't count my trade-in. Heck of a deal if you ask me.
Rogue01 likes this.
post #18 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 10:14 AM

after going at it for a week with the dealer and walking out 3 times the sales mgr called me back and made a deal over the phone got the
16 grey Z71 2wd V6
Nav
Spray in bed liner
black out embs
Bose
Trailer package
sticker was 34170 but priced at 30400 about 11% off thought i did good for the time i was getting it there was no red tag the only discount was 500 gm rebate
but they tryed every trick in the book from changing the doc fees and other stuff to trying to get me in the lt to trying to say the demand was so high and they are not even making many of these LMBO whatever
prob could have done better later but i did not want to have to pick tho colors i did not like and options i did not like
post #19 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Quick update on my situation.

The salesman called me on Monday and asked if there was anything he could do to get me into the dealership this upcoming weekend (end of month) to talk buying the truck i drove. I told him it wasn't the color I wanted, but if he was willing to make a good deal on it, I'd come in to talk. He asked me what I was looking for and I told him $34,000 (MSRP $38,310). He told me that was in his wheel house and to come in on Saturday.

Got a call from the "sales manager" yesterday and he told me not to waste my time coming in if I'm expecting $34,000. Told him that I've shopped around and thats the standard pricing i'm getting back. He droned on about how they are better because of this and that and still begged me to come in Saturday. I'm going to go in and try to get out the door under $35K with an additional thing to sweeten the deal - I'm going to make the deal breaker if they will remove the air dam, flip the clips, and reinstall for me. If I can get 2 hours of free labor to make it easy to remove the air dam - i'll make a deal!
k7tnt likes this.
post #20 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 01:31 AM

Garage
Seems I got really lucky with my deal, MSRP was 42,500$ and I was able to bring it down to 32,500$ before taxes and freight. My payments are 252$/bi-weekly.

I got a Z71 CC 4x4 with nav, splash guards, spray in liner, round steps, black emblems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode