2016 vs. 2017 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

2016 vs. 2017

Buy or Wait? I've been in the market for about 5 wks and was rolling the dice on end of month incentives, I'm really considering waiting on 2017s at this point. While I'd love to get one soon, I think the new powertrain combo of a V6 and eight-speed transmission might be worth the wait.
Does anyone have any info on the pricing on the 2017s? Any estimated major price changes?
Stansuski likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 12:12 AM

I'm sure you'll here several different opinions on this, but I'm in the wait for the 8-speed camp if you can hold out.
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 07:15 AM

I purposely bought mine now, to avoid the 8 speed transmission. I have driven the new camaro with the 8 speed, and I didn't care for it. Granted a car is different than a truck, the price will definitely be higher for this I'm sure.
404 Not Found likes this.

2016 Colorado cc sb Duramax inferno orange
Softopper, big rig lights, DD 3k hid fog lights, Westin max winch tray/ 12,000lb winch combo.

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 07:15 AM

2017 V6 will have cylinder deactivation. I bought a 2016.

War Dang Eagle !!!

2016 Lazer Blue Long Bed Crew Cab

Cut the Dang Wire Already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 07:26 AM

You have to figure they will be much much more willing to come down on price and work with you on a 16 now, then they will when you get in line for the newest toy on the block. Depends on your budget, and your must haves really. I'm totally happy with my 6 speed and v6, can't imagine I'd want anything different, but if there things you must have on a 17, just realize you will be laying a premium on them until roughly this time next year. If it's that important can you wait a year for the right deal on a 17? In most circumstances I would say it makes more sense to get a steal on a 16 now, but to each their own

2016 Canyon All Terrain V6
Morimoto HID 35w 5500k + Morimoto LED Fogs
Trifecta Tune
Fox 2.0 coilovers and shocks
265/70/17 BFG KO2 All Terrains
Bakflip F1 tonneau cover
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 08:26 AM

I bought one now. If they had add features, push button start, better seats, or something I would have waited. But I'm not waiting and paying more for an 8 speed.
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 08:58 AM

Garage
I'm waiting to order a 2017 Canyon because all the ones left on the lot have $1400 worth of options that I don't want. I'd rather get what I want and pay less (maybe not $1400 less) than pay more and get a 2016 which has things I don't want and has a years worth of depreciation when I roll off the lot. (Just my thinking anyway)

2017 GMC Canyon SLT V6 2WD Crew Cab Short Box

Last edited by sivartk; 09-29-2016 at 09:53 AM.
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 09:03 AM

I am kind of in the same situation. Thinking about waiting for a 2017 Canyon Denali diesel, but if the incentives get really good, I may pull the trigger on a 2016. I will definitely wait to see what the October incentives are.
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RunFun View Post
Buy or Wait? I've been in the market for about 5 wks and was rolling the dice on end of month incentives, I'm really considering waiting on 2017s at this point. While I'd love to get one soon, I think the new powertrain combo of a V6 and eight-speed transmission might be worth the wait.
Does anyone have any info on the pricing on the 2017s? Any estimated major price changes?
I haven't been reading up a lot lately but last time I did there was still some confusion about start stop. Mandatory start stop is the only thing that would prevent me from going for a 2017, in your situation. If there is no start stop or it can be permanently disabled, then I'd get a 2017. I'm kind of old. I don't like start stop and nobody is going to convince me otherwise. I'll avoid it as long as I possibly can.

I have a fairly loaded up 2016 and the calibration of the six speed trans is very bad for a GM calibration job. They are showing no mpg improvement with the 8-speed and focusing on "driveability" so my totally subjective opinion is that they are using the efficiency advantage (ratio spread) of the 8-speed and leveraging that to avoid some of the calibration choices made with the 6 speed - mainly the fact that the 6 speed tries to hold a gear down to ~1,000 rpm, which is nuts with this powertrain in this truck.

If the 8 speed resolves this, then it will resolve the single biggest complaint I have about my 2016 and I would tell anyone in your situation to go for the 2017.

I suppose another option ( and I am considering this ) is a 2016 factoring in the cost of a tune. But I don't think I should have to dink around with a tune just to get the trans to act like it should.
brobox and kaiser67 like this.

Last edited by Slare; 09-29-2016 at 10:06 AM.
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 10:15 AM

If the ZR2 comes out it makes these decisions so much easier ;)
Dmax16 and Rodman2016 like this.

2016 Colorado | 2016 ATS-V
post #11 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slare View Post
I haven't been reading up a lot lately but last time I did there was still some confusion about start stop. Mandatory start stop is the only thing that would prevent me from going for a 2017, in your situation. If there is no start stop or it can be permanently disabled, then I'd get a 2017. I'm kind of old. I don't like start stop and nobody is going to convince me otherwise. I'll avoid it as long as I possibly can.

I have a fairly loaded up 2016 and the calibration of the six speed trans is very bad for a GM calibration job. They are showing no mpg improvement with the 8-speed and focusing on "driveability" so my totally subjective opinion is that they are using the efficiency advantage (ratio spread) of the 8-speed and leveraging that to avoid some of the calibration choices made with the 6 speed - mainly the fact that the 6 speed tries to hold a gear down to ~1,000 rpm, which is nuts with this powertrain in this truck.

If the 8 speed resolves this, then it will resolve the single biggest complaint I have about my 2016 and I would tell anyone in your situation to go for the 2017.

I suppose another option ( and I am considering this ) is a 2016 factoring in the cost of a tune. But I don't think I should have to dink around with a tune just to get the trans to act like it should.

Great information and really appreciate the feedback.
post #12 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 04:56 PM

used 2016

Quote:
local dealers here have some used ooops (pre-owned)2016 around with about 5k miles, probably demos. check your area.
i'd go for that. if they had them available a couple months ago i would have bought one if i didn't have $3500 in supplier discounts
post #13 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 06:34 PM

JMO, I have a 2016 V6 with a 6 speed. If GM can't figure out how to make the 6 speed decide what gear it suppose to be in without lugging, what are they going to do with two additional gears?
Toughsox, Tucker, RatRacer and 2 others like this.

Chuck
2016 Colorado Red Rock, Z71, 4x4 short bed crew cab, tow package, loaded to tow behind my Motorhome
post #14 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I agree with you that you shouldnt have to spend money on a tune to get these transmissions to shift right but sadly they aermt going to fox themselves. I have a 2015 and was on the verge of trading it and losing money.

Last year I bit the bullet and bought the Livernois Tune and Im glad I did. Well the tune didnt get rid of all the hesitation, it certainly alleviated about 80% of it. Lifes to short to hate the way your truck runs. Buy a tune and you'll be happy you did.
post #15 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Done - End of month deal was too good to pass up
weekdaze likes this.
post #16 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 04:08 PM

ZR2 is not going to happen in the 2017, the 8 speed transmission is suppose to fix the downshifting and hesitation off the line, no push button start. Those are just what as already been published by GM. I too have been waiting and my lease is up January I am waiting for a 2017 and the only factor for me was the downshifting and sluggish start off the line. But if i cant get into a 2017 by February i will settle for a AT 2016. Oh and the All Terrain X model is new (but you can get everything in a 2016 except the tires).
post #17 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 05:26 PM

Garage
Quote:

Dink! It's totally worth it!

Paul
2016 Colorado LT, Ext Cab
2.5L 4 Banger
LT Convenience Package
Lund Bed Extender
Chevy Drop-in Bedliner
Off Road Side Steps
Gator SR1 Tonneau
WeatherTech Mud Flaps
WeatherTech Vent Visors
post #18 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 06:20 PM

Well if you want a diesel it looks like saving money on a 2016 is the way to go.....until further notice!

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/09/...canyon-diesel/
post #19 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 11:27 AM
ColoradoFans.com Site Sponsors

Quote:
Originally Posted by motown View Post
I agree with you that you shouldnt have to spend money on a tune to get these transmissions to shift right but sadly they aermt going to fox themselves. I have a 2015 and was on the verge of trading it and losing money.

Last year I bit the bullet and bought the Livernois Tune and Im glad I did. Well the tune didnt get rid of all the hesitation, it certainly alleviated about 80% of it. Lifes to short to hate the way your truck runs. Buy a tune and you'll be happy you did.
We are glad you did too, just saying :)
post #20 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 12:20 AM

I definitely agree but I am waiting on the tune until my warranty is up. My truck has under 10k miles and just had to have "entire egr system replaced" after a p0341 code popped and my egr valve was the diagnosis.....I tried so hard to get specific details about what exactly was replaces and why?? Was the valve broken? Burnt up? Why then was the whole system changed after a day of working on just the valve...? Either way I love my truck but don't trust it enough to void my warranty unfortunately....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode