The Official Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Thread - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 225 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

The Official Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Thread

Utilize this forum thread to post ordering, tracking, and option information exclusive to the Chevrolet Colorado ZR2.

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends." - REK
"If we get a little crazy, blame it on the alcohol." - PG
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - MT
"All bleeding stops eventually." - Z71 EMT
"Stay safe! Everyone goes home." - UNK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 225 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Tomorrow, I'm going to speak with a local dealer about placing a deposit on/ordering a Red Hot ZR2 Crew Cab.

I went to the 2016 DFW Auto Show last week and unfortunately they didn't bring the Z's from the LA Auto Show with them. The show staff commented that they didn't know when ordering would begin, but they anticipated the truck to be available in April.

Has anyone inquired about a deposit or order?
Camarolegend likes this.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - MT

Last edited by ZR2 EMT; 12-06-2016 at 07:14 PM.
post #3 of 225 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Bump

Surely I'm not the only one on this forum who's serious about ordering/buying one of these...

post #4 of 225 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 08:40 PM
KMW

Not at all! I haven't looked into a deposit or order yet, but will be soon. Unfortunately, the dealers around here are all idiots about the ZR2. Not one knows anything about them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 225 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 12:49 AM

All kidding aside, when you guys finally DO see these in person, can anyone get us some hood measurements to make sure the hoods are interchangeable with the other models of the Collies?
I AM getting that ZR2 hood as soon as it becomes available...... provided its a direct bolt on fitment.
JBT, Johng724 and Janster like this.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #6 of 225 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 12:50 AM
KMW

Absolutely! And I'd bet money it's the same.

post #7 of 225 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:33 PM

New to forum...I am super stoked on the ZR2. Live in Colorado, & actually will off road with the truck. Love the aggressive stance & unique Grill, lift, shocks & interior for the ZR2
My slight issue is I tow a travel trailer 10-15 times a year. The ZR2 tow rating is derated to 5,000lbs. I tow a 24' travel trailer, 4600lbs empty, possibly up to 5,490 lbs loaded. I tow this trailer with my current vehicle, a '13 Tacoma double cab TRD/OR, lifted 3" with 285's. stability is not an issue, the engine is a bit weak & struggles over our Mtn passes, braking is so so.

The Colorado, in Diesel format & with exhaust brake seem to be the ticket for me, reports of towing are good. I believe GM derates the ZR2 due to lift & tire size. The basics are same , so transmission, brakes, & engine are capable of the 7,600 lb tow rating on other models.

Do I try my towing with the ZR2?

Only other option (that I like) is a Raptor, amazing truck but just too big for trails, & obviously more money. (Kinda thinking ZR2 to be like $50K? Alot if $$but with added off-road features one can't do for any less off market)

Last edited by Craigski; 01-10-2017 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Spell
post #8 of 225 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:40 PM
KMW

I don't think it's the tires and wheels. Same tires on the Trail Boss. It's because the upgrades to the ZR2 add a little bit of weight to the truck, and the suspension is going to be softer.

post #9 of 225 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:08 PM

Any idea difference in weight of the truck?
post #10 of 225 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:51 PM
KMW

I don't think there's anything published yet. But there's full skid plates, rock sliders, longer front control arms, wider rear axle, front locker, and I'm sure the shocks are a little heavier than the regular ones, so add all that together and I bet you're looking at 3-500 lbs. more than a regular model.

Plus, the ZR2 suspension is going to be softer than the regular suspension, which will affect load carrying ability and towing.

post #11 of 225 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:30 PM

the downgraded tow rating and short bed only was a "dealbreaker" for me. In quotes because... even if available in a long bed and with the tow rating I need, I probably wouldn't drop the coin on it anyways, hahaha!
post #12 of 225 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:55 PM

Garage
Having owned two ZR2s, I'm now in the odd position of wanting a regular Colorado now for the higher tow rating and better aftermarket that comes with not being a niche vehicle. If I can get an Xcab Duramax Z, I will be tempted, since it will match the two previous ZR2s in configuration, and blow them away in terms of ability... and they were no slouch to begin with. To me, the advantage is the higher/wider stance I would eventually do to a regular Colorado anyway, and the addition of the front locker. Which, with the factory programming, might not be all that useful. Time will tell.

vi et armis invictus maneo..
post #13 of 225 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 02:30 PM

So if I tow about 5500-5900 I would be better off getting a diesel Z71 crew cab & adding lift, tires, & lockers aftermarket? Sorry I know this is all easy done on Tacoma's, so many great after market products available, but never see this on Colorado's. is this fairly easily do able? I am one that can't have stock, as well do not like the stance (raised rear ended) want to level/ lift so front end is level.
When I say easy I am not a gear head type mechanical guy so would have a reputable shop do the lift etc

Last edited by Craigski; 01-21-2017 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Spell
post #14 of 225 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 03:39 PM
KMW

Lifts are easy. Lots of choices. Lockers, I'm not sure what axle is in these trucks. You at least have the G80, which you would get with the Z71 and diesel. As for selectable, not sure if there's any aftermarket options yet. Once the ZR2 is out, I would bet you could install the e-lockers from that once the parts are available.

Craigski likes this.
post #15 of 225 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 02:53 PM

Garage
Chevy Colorado ZR2 Starts Under $41,000, Way Cheaper Than Raptor or Power Wagon

Chevy's off-road pickup truck package is a little different from the specialized 4x4s from Ford and Ram. First off, the Colorado ZR2 is a midsize, more compact than the full-size Ford Raptor and 2500-based Ram Power Wagon. And with that sensible size comes a more compact price: Chevy just announced the ZR2 starts at $40,995, seriously undercutting the base prices of the Ford and Ram.

Chevy Colorado ZR2 Pricing - Chevrolet Colorado Base Price
Camarolegend likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT | 4WD | CC | SB | V6 | Summit White | Blk Leather | Nav | Bose | Safety Pkg | Remote Start | 5" Blk Assist Steps | GM Splash Guards | OBDLink MX Bluetooth Adapter & Torque Pro Software | Bull Ring Tie Downs | X-Pel Clear Film (Door Sill & Rear Lower Box) | Husky X-act Contour Front & Back Floor Mats | Z71/All-Terrain Transfer Case Skid Plate | SuperSkidz Front Skid Plate | Rocker Pinch Welds Blacked Out | Debadged | Blizzacks (For Winter)
How to Search vBulletin.org effectively
post #16 of 225 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigski View Post
So if I tow about 5500-5900 I would be better off getting a diesel Z71 crew cab & adding lift, tires, & lockers aftermarket? Sorry I know this is all easy done on Tacoma's, so many great after market products available, but never see this on Colorado's. is this fairly easily do able? I am one that can't have stock, as well do not like the stance (raised rear ended) want to level/ lift so front end is level.
When I say easy I am not a gear head type mechanical guy so would have a reputable shop do the lift etc
At this moment, there are no aftermarket solutions. I can assure you though that will change in due time as the sales are catching up to the Tacoma. They just haven't been out long enough and not enough people dropping coin on them initially. The ZR2 will open a lot of doors for the platform as a lot of aftermarket parts will fit both. Im willing to put a fair amount of money that the Elockers will not be able to be integrated into the non ZR2 as surely all of that is built into the BCM, and those are not interchangeable between years. I'm purely basing this off any other electrical option that have been added as the years go on.

NEW TRUCK
2015 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4X4 - Summit White
KN 63 Series intake - LineX - 30" GGLighting LED Bar - Front/Rear Adujustable King Shocks - Bajakits +2.5 4x4 Pre Runner Kit - Method Double Standard Wheels - Falken AT3W 285/70/17 - Deaver Mini Pack inserts

OLD TRUCK
2004 Colorado Crew Cab Z85. I5 2wd
5inch CST lift
LIFTED COLORADO CLUB MEMBER # 123
post #17 of 225 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

So now that the ZR2 pricing has been released, is anyone else going to be placing an order on one?

post #18 of 225 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71 EMT View Post
So now that the ZR2 pricing has been released, is anyone else going to be placing an order on one?
I would be if I hadn't bought my Z71 last year.

2016 Colorado Z71 4x4 CCSB Cyber Gray
Bak MX4
post #19 of 225 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I will be sometime this year! Can't wait to get rid of my Wrangler. I love it but have had WAY too many problems with engine/transmission etc. Don't EVER buy a Chrysler product....horrible quality.
post #20 of 225 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 03:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
I'll wait for the configurator to go live on the Chevy site. I need to play around with options, and I'm really irked that the longbed crew was nixed for the ZR2, so I'll have more time to decide whether the front locker and stance is worth the cost of cargo space and camper volume.

vi et armis invictus maneo..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode