Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

The Official Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Thread

176K views 538 replies 126 participants last post by  Daniel Anderson 
#1 ·
Utilize this forum thread to post ordering, tracking, and option information exclusive to the Chevrolet Colorado ZR2.

#2 · (Edited)
Tomorrow, I'm going to speak with a local dealer about placing a deposit on/ordering a Red Hot ZR2 Crew Cab.

I went to the 2016 DFW Auto Show last week and unfortunately they didn't bring the Z's from the LA Auto Show with them. :frown2: The show staff commented that they didn't know when ordering would begin, but they anticipated the truck to be available in April.

Has anyone inquired about a deposit or order?

Reactions: Camarolegend
#3 ·
Bump

Surely I'm not the only one on this forum who's serious about ordering/buying one of these...

#5 ·
All kidding aside, when you guys finally DO see these in person, can anyone get us some hood measurements to make sure the hoods are interchangeable with the other models of the Collies?
I AM getting that ZR2 hood as soon as it becomes available...... provided its a direct bolt on fitment. :laugh:

#7 · (Edited)
New to forum...I am super stoked on the ZR2. Live in Colorado, & actually will off road with the truck. Love the aggressive stance & unique Grill, lift, shocks & interior for the ZR2
My slight issue is I tow a travel trailer 10-15 times a year. The ZR2 tow rating is derated to 5,000lbs. I tow a 24' travel trailer, 4600lbs empty, possibly up to 5,490 lbs loaded. I tow this trailer with my current vehicle, a '13 Tacoma double cab TRD/OR, lifted 3" with 285's. stability is not an issue, the engine is a bit weak & struggles over our Mtn passes, braking is so so.

The Colorado, in Diesel format & with exhaust brake seem to be the ticket for me, reports of towing are good. I believe GM derates the ZR2 due to lift & tire size. The basics are same , so transmission, brakes, & engine are capable of the 7,600 lb tow rating on other models.

Do I try my towing with the ZR2?

Only other option (that I like) is a Raptor, amazing truck but just too big for trails, & obviously more money. (Kinda thinking ZR2 to be like $50K? Alot if $$but with added off-road features one can't do for any less off market)

#9 ·
Any idea difference in weight of the truck?

#10 ·
I don't think there's anything published yet. But there's full skid plates, rock sliders, longer front control arms, wider rear axle, front locker, and I'm sure the shocks are a little heavier than the regular ones, so add all that together and I bet you're looking at 3-500 lbs. more than a regular model.

Plus, the ZR2 suspension is going to be softer than the regular suspension, which will affect load carrying ability and towing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Having owned two ZR2s, I'm now in the odd position of wanting a regular Colorado now for the higher tow rating and better aftermarket that comes with not being a niche vehicle. If I can get an Xcab Duramax Z, I will be tempted, since it will match the two previous ZR2s in configuration, and blow them away in terms of ability... and they were no slouch to begin with. To me, the advantage is the higher/wider stance I would eventually do to a regular Colorado anyway, and the addition of the front locker. Which, with the factory programming, might not be all that useful. Time will tell.

#13 · (Edited)
So if I tow about 5500-5900 I would be better off getting a diesel Z71 crew cab & adding lift, tires, & lockers aftermarket? Sorry I know this is all easy done on Tacoma's, so many great after market products available, but never see this on Colorado's. is this fairly easily do able? I am one that can't have stock, as well do not like the stance (raised rear ended) want to level/ lift so front end is level.
When I say easy I am not a gear head type mechanical guy so would have a reputable shop do the lift etc

#16 ·
So if I tow about 5500-5900 I would be better off getting a diesel Z71 crew cab & adding lift, tires, & lockers aftermarket? Sorry I know this is all easy done on Tacoma's, so many great after market products available, but never see this on Colorado's. is this fairly easily do able? I am one that can't have stock, as well do not like the stance (raised rear ended) want to level/ lift so front end is level.
When I say easy I am not a gear head type mechanical guy so would have a reputable shop do the lift etc
At this moment, there are no aftermarket solutions. I can assure you though that will change in due time as the sales are catching up to the Tacoma. They just haven't been out long enough and not enough people dropping coin on them initially. The ZR2 will open a lot of doors for the platform as a lot of aftermarket parts will fit both. Im willing to put a fair amount of money that the Elockers will not be able to be integrated into the non ZR2 as surely all of that is built into the BCM, and those are not interchangeable between years. I'm purely basing this off any other electrical option that have been added as the years go on.

#14 ·
Lifts are easy. Lots of choices. Lockers, I'm not sure what axle is in these trucks. You at least have the G80, which you would get with the Z71 and diesel. As for selectable, not sure if there's any aftermarket options yet. Once the ZR2 is out, I would bet you could install the e-lockers from that once the parts are available.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Chevy Colorado ZR2 Starts Under $41,000, Way Cheaper Than Raptor or Power Wagon

Chevy's off-road pickup truck package is a little different from the specialized 4x4s from Ford and Ram. First off, the Colorado ZR2 is a midsize, more compact than the full-size Ford Raptor and 2500-based Ram Power Wagon. And with that sensible size comes a more compact price: Chevy just announced the ZR2 starts at $40,995, seriously undercutting the base prices of the Ford and Ram.

Chevy Colorado ZR2 Pricing - Chevrolet Colorado Base Price

#17 ·
So now that the ZR2 pricing has been released, is anyone else going to be placing an order on one?

#22 ·
They are assholes. Find a new dealer.
I am fortunate, GM tells the dealer how much they have to sell it to us for, and it is a better deal than any private party could ever make on their own. My understanding is that usually GM ends up kicking some cheese to the dealer after the sale.

#27 · (Edited)
Spoke with Chevy Chat about the ZR2, the rep gave me this link for ordering info:

Model Information - Online Ordering Guide

Note that:

"ZR2 ordering will be available March 16, 2017."

I'm starting to lean a lot toward the ZR2. When I price out a Z71, I am pretty much at the $40ish that the ZR2 has.
The ZR2 has all the offroad stuff (DSSV, wide track, lift, front/rear lockers, rock rails, high clearance bumper, front skid plate, unique rims, AT tires), and leather, wireless charging (not available on other trims, but probably the same as Canyon Denali), and all for only a little more than a Z71.
I am hoping supplier pricing will be similar to the other models as far as difference from MSRP. (Or that the dealer can beat that price)

I think I would only add the Nav/Bose (not sure I want to mess with all that goes into upgrading the non-nav system), and quad folding tonneau cover (probably after the fact).

It is odd that it lists the tires for the ZR2 as 255/65/17, but all pictures show 265/65/17 (which is 30.6" not "31", but I guess if you round up it is, right?)
With the lift and high clearance bumper, I don't see why 265/70/17 wouldn't fit. The spare is listed as 265/65/17 though, so I think the 255 is just a typo.

I'm interested to see a winch bumper for these though, but other than TL-4R projectors, LED light bars, I don't know what else I would do to it. If I got the Z71, I would want to change so much, the ZR2 looks to be less in the long run for me.

#28 ·
Spoke with Chevy Chat about the ZR2, the rep gave me this link for ordering info:

Model Information - Online Ordering Guide

Note that:

"ZR2 ordering will be available March 16, 2017."

I'm starting to lean a lot toward the ZR2. When I price out a Z71, I am pretty much at the $40ish that the ZR2 has.
The ZR2 has all the offroad stuff (DSSV, wide track, lift, front/rear lockers, rock rails, high clearance bumper, front skid plate, unique rims, AT tires), and leather, wireless charging (not available on other trims, but probably the same as Canyon Denali), and all for only a little more than a Z71.
I am hoping supplier pricing will be similar to the other models as far as difference from MSRP. (Or that the dealer can beat that price)

I think I would only add the Nav/Bose (not sure I want to mess with all that goes into upgrading the non-nav system), and quad folding tonneau cover (probably after the fact).

It is odd that it lists the tires for the ZR2 as 255/65/17, but all pictures show 265/65/17 (which is 30.6" not "31", but I guess if you round up it is, right?)
With the lift and high clearance bumper, I don't see why 265/70/17 wouldn't fit. The spare is listed as 265/65/17 though, so I think the 255 is just a typo.

I'm interested to see a winch bumper for these though, but other than TL-4R projectors, LED light bars, I don't know what else I would do to it. If I got the Z71, I would want to change so much, the ZR2 looks to be less in the long run for me.
I literally just posted in another thread about the tire size. This is now the 3rd place I've seen the 30" tires listed instead of the 31" that the spare is. By the way 255/65R17 is a 30.05" tire and the 265/65R17 is a 30.56" tire (depending on manufacturer). Let's hope it's a typo.

#30 · (Edited)
I placed a call to my dealer this afternoon about ordering one on the first day, March 16th. Waiting for a call back to see if I need a deposit or to be on a waiting list, etc.

Order:

Colorado ZR2 Crew Cab SWB
Red Hot/Black Leather
3.6 gas engine
Bose audio system
Bed-mounted spare tire carrier
Not sure on whether to go for the standard carpeting or to opt for the vinyl floor. I'm kind of leaning towards the vinyl at this point.

Those are the only factory-installed options that I'm aware of for the ZR2. I'm really hoping this truck was/is worth the wait.

#31 · (Edited)
I placed a call to my dealer this afternoon about ordering one on the first day, March 16th. Waiting for a call back to see if I need a deposit or to be on a waiting list, etc.

Order:

Colorado ZR2 Crew Cab SWB
Red Hot/Black Leather
3.6 gas engine
Bose audio system
Bed-mounted spare tire carrier
Not sure on whether to go for the standard carpeting or to opt for the vinyl floor. I'm kind of leaning towards the vinyl at this point.

Those are the only factory-installed options that I'm aware of for the ZR2. I'm really hoping this truck was/is worth the wait.
According to the latest order guide that color is not available on the ZR2. No laser blue, brownstone & cyber gray metallic either. It will be interesting to see what really is available once ordering is active. The current catalog clearly shows a Red Hot crew cab on page 2 but it also shows several other things that are not currently available or mentioned anywhere in the current ordering guide. I spoke with my dealer last week and as usual we are aware of more details regarding the ZR2 than they are. I told them I will be ordering one ASAP in the following configuration

Crew Cab
V6 or Diesel (undecided)
Deepwood green metallic
Bed mounted spare tire carrier
Carpet delete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.