Buy from Laura but warranty service local? - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Door View Post
I suggest you read up on who warranties tires. You might start by actually reading some of my posts, and the one I have linked to.
I have. I understand your frustration. I cannot understand why any GM dealer cannot handle that, although they might have to go through the tire manufacturer. Your experience with tires is one reason I don't want a truck that has been sitting on the lot over a couple of months!
Two Door likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 06:24 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to unsafehaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDura View Post
1. Honestly, I didn't haggle at all. I suppose this could have been done over the phone, but I thought the price was fair based on reading the "What did you pay for your duramax twin" thread. MSRP 40,600, I paid 31,495 + fees (Paid taxes in home state when registering the vehicle.)
2. I'd have to look at my paperwork
3. I'm not sure what configurations they had at the time and how they compared to my model. I was looking for a Canyon long box, 4x4, white, diesel, SLE and that's exactly what they had.
4. No charge for airport pickup.

Disclaimer: Maybe some didn't experience this but there is a $2,000 deposit (non-refundable.) they asked me to pay to "hold" the truck. I had no issue because I knew I'd be purchasing the truck and the 2k just rolled into my down payment. Just be absolutely sure you want it.
Where did you buy from? Did it not have all the bells and whistles? Do you mind posting a little more information? I feel like 31495 is a killer price for a canyon with a duramax engine.
post #43 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 04:18 AM

I am in california, but 8000$ of MSRP is unheard of here. Max is around 2500-3000$. I am wondering, does it make sense to buy from Laura, and pay them 1000$ to ship it to california? What kind of hassle it will be?

post #44 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overl4and View Post
I am in california, but 8000$ of MSRP is unheard of here. Max is around 2500-3000$. I am wondering, does it make sense to buy from Laura, and pay them 1000$ to ship it to california? What kind of hassle it will be?
Wondering the same thing - looking to get a 4 wheel drive, would prefer a Colorado but a Canyon would work also. Currently driving a '15 Colorado 2 wheel drive.
post #45 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 11:25 AM

I posted this back in Nov. "Another Laura purchaser. Flew in yesterday morning from FL and drove back the same day. Red Canyon 4x4, MiniMax, All Terrain Adventure pkg, Nav, Bose and trailering pkg. MSRP 43620, purchased for 31495" would not hesitate to do it again. Great experience and no one locally could come within 5-6k of their price.
Greg
post #46 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskethead33 View Post
I posted this back in Nov. "Another Laura purchaser. Flew in yesterday morning from FL and drove back the same day. Red Canyon 4x4, MiniMax, All Terrain Adventure pkg, Nav, Bose and trailering pkg. MSRP 43620, purchased for 31495" would not hesitate to do it again. Great experience and no one locally could come within 5-6k of their price.
Greg

Dayum!

This is up this morning, I've never even considered that a duramax could be within my budget.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loaded laura.JPG (161.5 KB, 60 views)
post #47 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 11:02 PM

Well now it's back without the GM 2500 discount. I thought there were an awful lot of trucks with the discount. Must have been a a glitch in the Laura matrix.
post #48 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 01:32 AM

I don't have any idea about buying outside california esp, 2000 miles away. How does it work. do we fly in and drive back(good idea on a brand new vehicle?). Or the dealer charges 1000$ or so and ships it? If Laura is giving 8000$ discount over MSRP, and the highest in bay area is 6000$ over msrp, then even flying in and driving back is cheaper with 3 night of hotel stays.

What about legal stuff like california emission and registering. Driving on temporary plates etc.,?
post #49 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't have any idea about buying outside california esp, 2000 miles away. How does it work. do we fly in and drive back(good idea on a brand new vehicle?). Or the dealer charges 1000$ or so and ships it? If Laura is giving 8000$ discount over MSRP, and the highest in bay area is 6000$ over msrp, then even flying in and driving back is cheaper with 3 night of hotel stays.

What about legal stuff like california emission and registering. Driving on temporary plates etc.,?
Heck, I'd just move the heck out of California and stay away in MO or the surrounding area! I get to say that 'cause that's what I did about 50 years ago!<g> Rarely miss California now all my family has passed on.

I don't know about shipping a car, but if you call Laura GMC I'm sure they can advise you. Taxes, etc would be paid in the state in which you register your car. I think all GM cars and light trucks are CA compliant (they can tell you). Driving on temporary plates is not an issue. You would have to register you truck in your home state once you arrive once the title arrives from the dealer.

I do NOT think an $8k discount on a $40k vehicle is the norm, probably closer to $5-$6. What additional expenses the dealer charges can be learned quickly with a phone call, but I recall seeing something on their web page mentioning something like $150? Oh, their prices MAY indicate a "residency restriction" which may not be available to those outside the SE USA. I believe that's about $500 more you'd have to pay. What you have considered, flying out and driving back with a few days in the Collinsville area is a good plan in my opinion. I plan on doing the same later this year, but we would be driving 330 miles instead of flying. I want to plan on spending a few days near the dealer just to be sure the truck is fit for travel back home.
post #50 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTrucker2 View Post
Heck, I'd just move the heck out of California and stay away in MO or the surrounding area! I get to say that 'cause that's what I did about 50 years ago!<g> Rarely miss California now all my family has passed on.

I don't know about shipping a car, but if you call Laura GMC I'm sure they can advise you. Taxes, etc would be paid in the state in which you register your car. I think all GM cars and light trucks are CA compliant (they can tell you). Driving on temporary plates is not an issue. You would have to register you truck in your home state once you arrive once the title arrives from the dealer.

I do NOT think an $8k discount on a $40k vehicle is the norm, probably closer to $5-$6. What additional expenses the dealer charges can be learned quickly with a phone call, but I recall seeing something on their web page mentioning something like $150? Oh, their prices MAY indicate a "residency restriction" which may not be available to those outside the SE USA. I believe that's about $500 more you'd have to pay. What you have considered, flying out and driving back with a few days in the Collinsville area is a good plan in my opinion. I plan on doing the same later this year, but we would be driving 330 miles instead of flying. I want to plan on spending a few days near the dealer just to be sure the truck is fit for travel back home.
Thanks!
Since its 2000 miles in my case, i am wondering do dealers ship vehicles via truck. I checked costs and its about 800-1000$ at most places. So if the dealer agrees to ship it takes care of running in and 3 days of travel.

That said, Laura discounts at about 5-6k over msrp, and when there is a special tag it goes to 8. Here in california a dealer told me that special tags can have 10-15% discount over msrp. For example dublin chevy hada 5K off on colorado diesels due to some special promotion.
Same thing for midnight edition.

I have been tracking prices over past few days, and I have seen, specials come and go. If you can have a 2-3 weeks window in which to buy a vehicle. you are time it to coincide with GM incentives, which are over and above the dealer discount
post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 02:14 PM

Can't speak to shipping, but I've bought cars out of state before and all they had to do was contact the state tax office to see what the proper amount of sales tax should be and where to send the info on registration. So should probably buy it on a weekday, but they may have a way around that.
post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks!
Since its 2000 miles in my case, i am wondering do dealers ship vehicles via truck. I checked costs and its about 800-1000$ at most places. So if the dealer agrees to ship it takes care of running in and 3 days of travel.

That said, Laura discounts at about 5-6k over msrp, and when there is a special tag it goes to 8. Here in california a dealer told me that special tags can have 10-15% discount over msrp. For example dublin chevy hada 5K off on colorado diesels due to some special promotion.
Same thing for midnight edition.

I have been tracking prices over past few days, and I have seen, specials come and go. If you can have a 2-3 weeks window in which to buy a vehicle. you are time it to coincide with GM incentives, which are over and above the dealer discount
Thanks for the follow up. Once I sell my current truck this spring, I will not be in a big rush to replace it with a Canyon. However, I have been looking, on line and at dealers, for over a year now and know pretty much exactly what I want, and what I will pay either locally or elsewhere. I've seen those special prices a couple of times, but they have not been for the vehicle I want.

Good luck with your purchase, and let us know how it went. I am curious about buying a truck sight unseen and having it shipped.
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:05 AM

Recently bought my '17 Canyon diesel from Laura for 8.3K off MSRP. It was a great experience. They picked me up at the hotel by the airport with 3 other out of staters, half hour ride to the dealership, and 1.5 hours later I was driving it home. I did contact some local dealers with the everyday Laura price (5.7K off MSRP in my truck's case), they literally got mad at me. As a result, it was a very easy decision to fly and buy, got exactly the truck I wanted as Laura has a huge stock. Not exaggerating, I suspect Laura has more Canyons (generally well over 100) on their lot than all of the dealers in the Denver metro area combined.

I did the 2K deposit to lock it in before flying out there. I recommend going to Laura's site and putting a "price watch" on trucks with the color and configuration you want. I waited three months and watched a few trucks come and go before moving on it as my truck hit with the lowest price I had seen to date. It does literally pay to be flexible and to be able to move on it when this happens. Got a $45 Frontier flight and figure all in the trip cost me about $400 with hotels, fuel and food.

Received my paperwork from Laura via overnight mail. Dunno about other states, but as a result of the out of state purchase, the one extra step I had to do to register it in Colorado was to get a VIN verification form filled out at the local police station. That cost $5. Laura provides a 30 day temp tag and does not collect sales tax - you pay that in your home state. You do need proof of insurance to take delivery. Just add the truck to your policy and get an ID card before flying out.

I even enjoyed driving it home. Got to know my truck well during the ride. Broke it in with plenty of roll on pulls to seat the rings while on the highway. My new diesel has been perfect so far, seems to run better with each passing mile. Can't wait until she is fully broken in.

'17 Canyon SLT CCLB 4X4 Diesel, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa/Dune interior. Line-x.

Last edited by Duken4evr; 04-03-2017 at 10:15 AM.
post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Recently bought my '17 Canyon diesel from Laura for 8.3K off MSRP. It was a great experience. ......
Thanks for that feedback.
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Recently bought my '17 Canyon diesel from Laura for 8.3K off MSRP. It was a great experience. They picked me up at the hotel by the airport with 3 other out of staters, half hour ride to the dealership, and 1.5 hours later I was driving it home. I did contact some local dealers with the everyday Laura price (5.7K off MSRP in my truck's case), they literally got mad at me. As a result, it was a very easy decision to fly and buy, got exactly the truck I wanted as Laura has a huge stock. Not exaggerating, I suspect Laura has more Canyons (generally well over 100) on their lot than all of the dealers in the Denver metro area combined.

I did the 2K deposit to lock it in before flying out there. I recommend going to Laura's site and putting a "price watch" on trucks with the color and configuration you want. I waited three months and watched a few trucks come and go before moving on it as my truck hit with the lowest price I had seen to date. It does literally pay to be flexible and to be able to move on it when this happens. Got a $45 Frontier flight and figure all in the trip cost me about $400 with hotels, fuel and food.

Received my paperwork from Laura via overnight mail. Dunno about other states, but as a result of the out of state purchase, the one extra step I had to do to register it in Colorado was to get a VIN verification form filled out at the local police station. That cost $5. Laura provides a 30 day temp tag and does not collect sales tax - you pay that in your home state. You do need proof of insurance to take delivery. Just add the truck to your policy and get an ID card before flying out.

I even enjoyed driving it home. Got to know my truck well during the ride. Broke it in with plenty of roll on pulls to seat the rings while on the highway. My new diesel has been perfect so far, seems to run better with each passing mile. Can't wait until she is fully broken in.
Thanks!. For me its finding 4 days free time. Does 4th of July time see good discounts? Secondly, I don't have any vehicle. So no Insurance. Can you purchase insurance before purchasing insurance. Rental car comes with its own LDW and insurance so that does not count.

Planning to do like this
Day 1 -> To Denver
Day 2 -> Near california
Day 3 -> To Bay area

About 700 miles a day.
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 06:16 PM

If you pick a vehicle, Laura will ask for a 2K non refundable deposit to hold the vehicle. At that point you will have the VIN, which is all you need to contact an insurance carrier to add a "Binder" on the vehicle. The carrier will provide a proof of insurance card. Typically there is a 20 day grace period before you have to pay premium. All of this can be done online in about 10 minutes. I have GEICO, dunno if they are the cheapest, but their web site is easy to use.

Do check the CA regs about bringing in out of state vehicles before doing this. Seems to me that CA requires them to have 7.5K miles on them, or some such nonsense. It says right on my diesel's MSO that it has a 50 state compliant emissions system. All I know is the damn thing farts butterflies and daisies - cleanest exhaust I have ever seen, no stink on startup like even a new gas powered vehicle has. Despite that, CA may have other ideas. Do make sure to be sure. The last thing you want is to go to DMV Hell in the state of Califorinia...

'17 Canyon SLT CCLB 4X4 Diesel, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa/Dune interior. Line-x.

Last edited by Duken4evr; 04-03-2017 at 06:18 PM.
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:09 PM

So, on that 2K non-refundable deposit, if you get there and something is wrong with the car you picked out on the internet, can you use the 2K on a different Canyon?
post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Waldrop View Post
So, on that 2K non-refundable deposit, if you get there and something is wrong with the car you picked out on the internet, can you use the 2K on a different Canyon?
I had that same question and planned to call and ask the sales manager how that would work. But ended up buying while I was on vacation down in Florida. The price I got was within a couple of hundred bucks of Laura's price, with all expenses of going to STL considered, comparing options I wanted/needed etc. So I'm happy I knew about Laura's existence thanks to this forum; it was a bargaining chip, and the sales manager down here was well acquainted with Laura's dealership.

2017 GMC Canyon SLT V6/AT/CC/SB/2WD
Red Quartz Tintcoat / Cocoa
Bose/Nav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode