Buy from Laura but warranty service local? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Buy from Laura but warranty service local?

The prices for Laura Buick GMC are very attractive; as long as they have a model configured like I'd want (they do). They are 400 mile trip for me, but even with a 1 or 2 night motel stay, I could still save quite a bit from what the local dealers charge for the same truck. I'm retired so don't have to worry about time from work, an extra day at Laura's, etc.

However....I'd not want to drive that 400 miles for warranty or service, I'd want to use a local dealer. My concern is how is the local dealer going to treat me since I didn't buy my truck from him? Does anyone have any experience with that situation?

I'd love to get some feedback, especially from those who have bought a vehicle from Laura's Buick GMC.

Thanks, ya'll!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTrucker2 View Post
The prices for Laura Buick GMC are very attractive; as long as they have a model configured like I'd want (they do). They are 400 mile trip for me, but even with a 1 or 2 night motel stay, I could still save quite a bit from what the local dealers charge for the same truck. I'm retired so don't have to worry about time from work, an extra day at Laura's, etc.

However....I'd not want to drive that 400 miles for warranty or service, I'd want to use a local dealer. My concern is how is the local dealer going to treat me since I didn't buy my truck from him? Does anyone have any experience with that situation?

I'd love to get some feedback, especially from those who have bought a vehicle from Laura's Buick GMC.

Thanks, ya'll!
You buy the truck where-ever you want and who-ever is willing to give you a great deal. If you haven't purchased the truck yet.....I would go to your local dealership and tell them exactly what Laura had offered. Give your local dealership a chance to counter-offer. You win in the end. Doesn't matter WHO has the truck - dealerships can often work out swaps.

My husband and I did this exact thing and our local dealership was able to give us a better deal than the previous dealer (as expected). The truck actually came from somewhere else too! LOL

My last truck I bought it at a dealership 30 miles away. I've had warranty work done locally (5 miles away). There was never any issues having service done. There shouldn't be any issues either.... It's your choice to buy where you want to buy from.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:26 AM

Warranty work:

Do I have to go the GMC dealer where I purchased my vehicle to have this type of work performed?

While most customers prefer to have this type of work performed at their selling dealer, service can be performed at any GMC dealership. (source: GM 2016-2017 warranty Q&A)

zoz
pennhunter likes this.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:34 AM

I bought from a dealer which is merely an inconvenient drive away, and had a vibration problem that turned out to be flat-spotted tires. I made three trips to closer dealers for this problem, and the last dealer told me I would have to take it back to the selling dealer because only they could warranty the tires.

This didn't sound logical so I did a little Googling. Apparently one of the metrics GM uses to evaluate service departments compares their overall warranty costs to their own sales volume, without adjustment for cars they didn't sell. When that ratio gets out of line, GM can get difficult with reimbursement, requiring pre-approvals and documentation, or not reimbursing at all. In the case of tires, it is especially dicey. My dealer replaced my tires, but said it was not certain that they would be compensated.

Dealers are required by their GM franchise agreement to try to fix items that are safety or basic functionality related, but beyond that it is up to them, and as just stated, they have a disincentive to put much effort into problems that will screw up their metrics. I think this explains much of the superficial efforts on hard problems. I imagine that the first hour of diagnosis is always compensated (necessary to determine if the problem is safety or core functionality related), but after that it is a crapshoot for the dealer.

Here is the source of my information. Pay particular attention to the posts from linton23 and MrCritical, who seem to be GM Service Managers - New car on dealer lot develops FLAT SPOTS on tires... who pays?

Last edited by Two Door; 01-22-2017 at 12:12 PM.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:47 AM

I've always serviced at different dealers than I bought from and always have been treated well.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 01:45 PM

The idea that you have to go to the dealer you bought from for warranty is not correct in any way, shape or form.

The reason being is, what happens if you move?

What if one is on the road and needs warranty work done?

How about if you sell the vehicle to someone else?

There is nothing that says any dealer can deny anyone warranty work from any other authorized dealer.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 02:12 PM

The first line on my service orders has a clear designation: SELLING DEALER.
GM warrants are valid regardless of the dealer. It seems however that there is a subliminal advantage, if not a real one, to expect better service leverage where the sales profit was made...but who knows?

2015 Canyon SLT 4X4 V6, CC, SB.
Bronze Alloy Metallic/Cocoa Dune
Ordered 10/8/14 Picked up 12/22/14
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 02:25 PM

Show them what they offer 400 miles away, I was making a deal for my old CX7 with the salesman, he kept talking as I was searching craigslist on my phone for the same car, same specs only a town away and 3,000 cheaper but not the color that I wanted.

He dropped the price by 2,000 on the spot, 500 more after I said that color wasn't that big of a deal for 1,000 (it really was though, I wanted white vs gray) So I got the color I wanted with better tires for a price I was comfortable with and I didn't have to drive and re-haggle.

win-win

It's a business, they want the more they can get out of you, and you want the least that you have to pay out. Figure out a strategy to even the odds. It's business at the end of they day, you're not making friends.

As far as the warranty, there will be no issues, Service is business as well, you take it it for service, say your engine got blow for a defect in metal, Now GM has to pay the bill to replace it, and pay the labor costs. the dealership paid nothing and they earned 15% on whatever the total bill was.

-for example.

Last edited by Brayan Rosales; 01-22-2017 at 02:29 PM.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 09:11 AM

Straight from GMC Warranty FAQ, same applies to Chevy....

"DO I HAVE TO GO THE GMC DEALER WHERE I PURCHASED MY VEHICLE TO HAVE THIS TYPE OF WORK PERFORMED?
While most customers prefer to have this type of work performed at their selling dealer, service can be performed at any GMC dealership.

CAN I TAKE MY GMC TO ANY GM DEALERSHIP FOR WARRANTY REPAIRS?
Repairs must be performed by an Authorized GMC dealer, except in a situation where you are significantly inconvenienced and when a covered part or a GMC dealer is not reasonably available to the vehicle owner. It’s in your best interest to take your GMC vehicle to a GMC dealer for all repairs since they are the most knowledgeable about your vehicle."

The notion that you have to have service done at your purchasing dealer is outdated and false.
/thread

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's replies.

I do plan on the tactic that Janster suggested above. I figure flying/driving, spending a few nights in a motel, plus some inconvenience of not buying locally is worth something, maybe $1000 (have to figure it out later). So I'd see what the local dealer has; hopefully something close to what I want/need. I am fairly flexible, and what I want/need seems to be the most common configuration at the dealers' lots, soI that ought to give everyone some bargaining strength.
Janster likes this.
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's replies.

I do plan on the tactic that Janster suggested above. I figure flying/driving, spending a few nights in a motel, plus some inconvenience of not buying locally is worth something, maybe $1000 (have to figure it out later). So I'd see what the local dealer has; hopefully something close to what I want/need. I am fairly flexible, and what I want/need seems to be the most common configuration at the dealers' lots, soI that ought to give everyone some bargaining strength.
This is exactly what I did when I bought my Canyon. I found the ideal truck at Laura and started making rounds at my local GMC dealerships that had the same truck until I found a sales guy that was willing to work with me. I decided that 750 more locally was an acceptable upcharge to avoid having to drive 7+ hours one way to get to Laura. It took 2+ hours in a dealership going back and forth with the Sales Manager before I got my price. Just go in with a price in mind and stick to it. Just know that you could always go to Laura if you needed to, and make sure you let the sales guy know that. You will have the upper hand to get what you want.

I will note that Laura is pretty infamous at GMC dealerships. Laura prices vehicles below dealer cost to get sales. GMC gives a HUGE bonus to dealerships that increase sales year over year by a certain percentage. This bonus greatly outweighs the profits gained from normal new car markup in most cases. That is why Laura has such cheap prices. From what I've been told by a couple dealerships, their growth is unsustainable and at some point they are going to reach the point where they cannot increase sales and they are going to have to increase their prices to match what you see at other dealerships.

A couple of dealerships I stopped by were not willing to work with me at all and essentially told me to go to Laura to get my truck since they didn't even want to approach Laura's price. There will always be someone willing to work with you though to get a sale, so make sure you have patience and go to a different dealership if you need to.
pennhunter and BenDmax like this.

2016 GMC Canyon CC 4x4 AT SB Onyx Black
Westin Pro Traxx 4
Trifecta Advantage Performance Tune
American Tri-Fold Soft Tonneau
Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights
Custom LED Bedlights
Diode Dynamics Cargo/Reverse/License Plate Bulbs
Morimoto XB35 5500K HID Low Beams

Last edited by jaeisber; 01-25-2017 at 01:12 PM.
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Jaeisber, it's good to hear from someone who had done what I plan to do.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 08:57 AM

Has anyone on the forum actually purchased from Laura? I contemplated it; I called them and spoke with a salesman who walked me through the process. He told me they did over 100 "airport runs" last year; picked up the purchaser from the airport, took them to the dealership, did the paperwork, and the purchaser drove their new car home. My issue was that I was trying to get out of my Grand Cherokee lease 3 months early so it complicated things a bit. At the end of my current lease, I will contemplate purchasing from Laura again. It's only 24 months so I'll have a clean break. If their prices are still unbeatable, there's a solid chance I'll go that route if my local dealerships aren't willing to work with me.
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
Has anyone on the forum actually purchased from Laura? I contemplated it; I called them and spoke with a salesman who walked me through the process. He told me they did over 100 "airport runs" last year; picked up the purchaser from the airport, took them to the dealership, did the paperwork, and the purchaser drove their new car home........
I hope we get replies to that.....I am curious about that also. I figure I'd pay about $300 for a flight up, plus two nights* at a local hotel/motel, plus meals, plus gas driving back home. Let's say that's $300 flight + $200 hotel + $150 food + $75 gas......estimated total of $750. Then toss in an "inconvenience" cost of $250 - making the total cost to add to Laura's GMC vehicle of $1000. I figure that would mean about a $4000 to $5000 discount from MSRP from the local dealers (Memphis TN). I have seen a couple of local dealers discount about that much....if they can do it now, I figure they ought to be able to do it when I'm ready in maybe 5-6 months. Otherwise, it's up to STL I go......

* The two nights in a hotel is for inevitable last minute issues with the new truck.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I hope we get replies to that.....I am curious about that also. I figure I'd pay about $300 for a flight up, plus two nights* at a local hotel/motel, plus meals, plus gas driving back home. Let's say that's $300 flight + $200 hotel + $150 food + $75 gas......estimated total of $750. Then toss in an "inconvenience" cost of $250 - making the total cost to add to Laura's GMC vehicle of $1000. I figure that would mean about a $4000 to $5000 discount from MSRP from the local dealers (Memphis TN). I have seen a couple of local dealers discount about that much....if they can do it now, I figure they ought to be able to do it when I'm ready in maybe 5-6 months. Otherwise, it's up to STL I go......

* The two nights in a hotel is for inevitable last minute issues with the new truck.
Plus the miles on your brand new truck. That's kind of the kicker for me as I live in Massachusetts. It'd be about a 1200 mile trip and take me about 16 hours. I supposed that's not awful; I could easily do it with one overnight.
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

I figured 300 miles at 15 MPG is 20 gallons at about $2.25 per gallon; $75 for my one way drive from STL to <near> MEM.

Yeah, with your 1200 miles the cost would be four times higher (about), but still you ought to be able to recoup that....although you'd have maybe another 3-4 nights in a hotel, maybe time off from work, etc. Everyone's situation will be different. Laura's prices are probably not all that attractive to someone who is working, lives far away from STL, etc. I'm fortunate that I am retired and live only about 300 miles from STL. But I would rather buy local -IF- I can get a price that's close to the 4-5k discount I mentioned above.

I did something similar when I was stationed in Brunswick, Maine back in the early 1970s; flew down and bought a car in Elmira, NY. Back then I only saved maybe $500.....but back then $500 was worth a lot more than it is today! <g>
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
Has anyone on the forum actually purchased from Laura? I contemplated it; I called them and spoke with a salesman who walked me through the process. He told me they did over 100 "airport runs" last year; picked up the purchaser from the airport, took them to the dealership, did the paperwork, and the purchaser drove their new car home. My issue was that I was trying to get out of my Grand Cherokee lease 3 months early so it complicated things a bit. At the end of my current lease, I will contemplate purchasing from Laura again. It's only 24 months so I'll have a clean break. If their prices are still unbeatable, there's a solid chance I'll go that route if my local dealerships aren't willing to work with me.
I purchased from Laura late last year and the experience was great. I live in Columbus, Ohio so I flew out there early one morning. They picked me up from the airport, I filled out the paperwork and drove my new truck home. I recommend it to anyone looking to save some money because they seem to have the best prices nationwide. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 10:56 AM

Laura Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeisber View Post
... From what I've been told by a couple dealerships, their growth is unsustainable and at some point they are going to reach the point where they cannot increase sales and they are going to have to increase their prices to match what you see at other dealerships. ...
Looks like it has started to happen. They have had these two Canyon Denali diesels for two months. Listed at $7K off MSRP. Then they have another Canyon Diesel in transit with only $1K off MSRP.

zoz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 9.46.45 AM.jpg (166.8 KB, 47 views)

2017 GMC Canyon Denali
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zozmanGMC View Post
Looks like it has started to happen. They have had these two Canyon Denali diesels for two months. Listed at $7K off MSRP. Then they have another Canyon Diesel in transit with only $1K off MSRP.

zoz
I've been stalking the site for the last couple of months and I *think* what they do is drop the price only after they get the vehicle on site
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 11:40 AM

I purchased from Laura about a year ago and even special ordered what I wanted at a price that others couldn't touch. It wasn't as good as prices from their stock on lot but it was still really good. I would have no qualms about doing it again. They gave me a fair price on my trade that I drove out there (had a Carmax offer in my pocket as backup in case but they gave me a higher offer right out of the gate). Honored all GM discounts no problem. In and out in about 2 hours. They give you a temp tag to get home and around on. Paperwork to title the truck came in about 10 business days via Fedex. Paid tax and title in home state and ~$180 document fee to Laura.

Oh, and wborisenok is right, they don't discount trucks until they hit the lot and that one may even be someone's order. My truck showed up on their site as in transit until they received it. I think its just an automatic thing from GM. It then disappeared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode